PDA

View Full Version : Could you help me with translation of 2 phrases?

kenshiromusou
08-20-2007, 01:00 AM
I have an idea about the content, but I dont trust.(thank you)

first:
これは,1980年代のアニメシーンの牽引者ともいうべきロボットアニメが軒並み不振であった ことによる。
second:
[Gundam('79年)]に代表されるリアルロボットアニメも収束の方向にむかっており,視聴率的な支えとなったハイターゲット層は ,この頃になるとよりマニアックなOVAなどに流れていき,テレビアニメは視聴率的にも厳しく,関連商品の 売れ行きも伸び悩む状況となっていたのだ。

sorry for annoy you there.

zerog
08-20-2007, 11:29 AM
1st one: This depends on the fact that the robot animation which even the traction person of the animation scene of the eighties it should call is eaves common inactive...

2nd one:[Gundam ('79 years)]Also the real robot animation which is represented is opposite to the direction of focus, the high target layer which becomes the audience rating supporting, when it becomes this time from, the maniac keeps flowing to OVA and the like, television animation even is harsh audience rating, it had become the circumstance where also demand of the related commodity is restrained...

use this link in the future...

http://www1.worldlingo.com/en/products_services/worldlingo_translator.html

kenshiromusou
08-20-2007, 02:30 PM
Thank you, friend, but I've used it, google, Altavista and Excite translator already.
Dont you think the phrases are incoherent?
What's 牽引者(traction person)? animators?
what the sense of this first phrase? ( would be at that age, Anime's industry just produced Robot's animations?)

2- the second phrase says +-it: "the success of Robot's animations begun to decay, fans migrated to OVA's format, audience declined and commodity sticks on the shelves?

Very thank you for try to help me , Zeroq.
I hope someone can help me understand the sense of them.

zerog
08-20-2007, 05:15 PM
Ah ok glad to help... good luck with the rest...:laugh:

Datenshi
08-21-2007, 04:39 AM
This is purely a personal matter, but

translation software = Ew. Most often they do much more harm than good in my humble experience, as you'll see from below.

A lot of people have different views on what constitues as a free handout or not, but in my view, in cases like these where the language used is rather difficult you're welcome to ask for help any time you like. It's best you gave it your own shot first.

Now, going onward.

first:
>これは,1980年代のアニメシーンの牽引者ともいうべきロボットアニメが軒並み不振であった ことによる。

これは -> This was
1980年代のアニメシーン -> The 'anime scene' of the 1980's.
('scene' here is roughly interchangable with 'industry', just like you would say 'the music scene' or 'the baseball scene' in English)

の牽引者 -> the leader/leading genre of ~
(牽引=to pull or tow forward. So 牽引者 essentially means the leader or the driving factor of a particular movement.)

ともいうべき -> it can be said ~ / it should be said ~

ロボットアニメ -> robot animation

が軒並み不振 ->
(軒並み = 軒 means eaves, 並み is means either 'average' or 'in a row', and together the word means 'in a row' or 'all at once'.
不振 = inactivity, depression, usually in an economic sense)

であった ことによる。 -> was caused by ~
(~であったこと = the fact that ~ was
による = is the cause)

All together:
->This was caused by the fact that the robot animation genre, which was the leading genre of the anime scene of the 1980's, became all at once inactive.

second:
>[Gundam('79年)]に代表されるリアルロボットアニメも収束の方向にむかっており,視聴率的な支えとなったハイタ ーゲット層は ,この頃になるとよりマニアックなOVAなどに流れていき,テレビアニメは視聴率的にも厳しく, 関連商品の 売れ行きも伸び悩む状況となっていたのだ。

[Gundam('79年)]に代表される -> represented by [Gundam('79)]

リアルロボットアニメ -> Real(istic) Robot Anime

も -> also

収束の方向にむかっており, -> heading for the final stages
(収束 = literally, 'convergence' but from the context it likely means something like 'the end' or 'the final stages', as in converging into a vanishing point
方向 = direction)

視聴率的な支えとなった、ハイターゲット層は -> and the high target class, which they (the makers) depended on (to gain) audience ratings
(視聴率 = audience rating
支え = crutch or pillar, something to depend on
ハイターゲット層 = ~層, which originally means 'layer', is often used to refer to a social structure. I'm not sure what 'high targets' mean, but it can be guessed to mean people who are particularily picky about their anime)

この頃になると -> at this time

よりマニアックなOVAなどに流れていき -> began to drift towards more obsure OVA's
(マニアック = 'maniac', so obscure only people who are obsessive bordering on 'mania' are interested in it)

テレビアニメは視聴率的にも厳しく -> the television anime faced hard (times) in terms of audience rating
(厳しい = stern, or hard)

関連商品の 売れ行きも伸び悩む状況 -> the situation where the related merchandise did not fare well in terms of sales.
(関連 = related
商品 = goods, merchandise
->関連商品 = related merchandise, think Disney coffee cups or something
売れ行き = sales, how well a product sells
伸び悩む = 伸び means 'to grow', 悩む means 'at a loss' 'encounter trouble', hence together they mean 'did not grow well'
状況 -> situation, the point where~ (NOTE that the 'point' 'situation' here refers both to this sentence and the sentence above, about the audience rating of the televised anime))

となっていたのだ。-> became that way / it came to the point where

Thus:
-> Also, the Realistic Robot Anime genre, represented by [Gundam('79)], was also heading for the end, and by this time the high target class, which the makers depended on to gain audience ratings, began to drift towards more obscure OVA's, and it came to the point where the televised anime series faced difficulties in terms of audience ratings and the sales of related merchandise did not fare well.

Hope that helps. Sorry for the length. I'm sure you'll simply skip all the garbage fo the meat, but call it a force of habit.

kenshiromusou
08-21-2007, 05:17 AM
Datenshi, thank you, friend.
Thanks to your kindness, finally I was able to understand the sense.
Thank you too, Zerog.
Wonderful forum!

zerog
08-21-2007, 03:03 PM
nice Datenshi!