PDA

View Full Version : Reverse gender

overwatch
08-16-2007, 12:21 PM
Heres a topic - how many people role play with a different gender to their own?

as a starter I know that men often RP as a woman on games where there are 3D visuals. (main excuss is that if they have to be staring at this character for hours/days them they might as well stare at a pretty sight)

Miss Tsukkii
08-16-2007, 12:43 PM
Well sometimes I feel like creating a male character... like that, you get less guys who asks you out online... I'm getting tired of them.

wizz-o-matic
08-16-2007, 01:03 PM
well, in general I prefer female chars in games, but from time to time I pick male chars too xD

overwatch
08-16-2007, 01:10 PM
Miss Tsukkii - having recently played a girl I know understand this -see it does have a real world use - educating people to the pressure of the opposite gender

ANd as a thought post what game you are playing. It would be interesting to see if different types of games yealed different resonces. Persoanlly I would expect something like second life to have people role playing characters with the same gender as their own; while games such a World of Warcraft and Guildwars might show more people prepared to role play as a different gender due to a lesser focus on converstion.

wizz-o-matic
08-16-2007, 01:15 PM
Every possible game that lets you pick your own char ... aka rpg and similar ones xD

Miss Tsukkii
08-16-2007, 01:28 PM
Every possible game that lets you pick your own char ... aka rpg and similar ones xD
Yeah, xD Nowadays, almost all RPG games let you choose between a male or female character. But overwatch, your right about the games such as "Second life". "IMVU" is a good exemple of this too... >.> You go there to chat, create your own character and of course choose your gender. Since a lot of people go there to date, they choose their own gender.

Flah Blah
08-16-2007, 02:03 PM
Occasionally, if it's one of those combat video games. I find that the male characters usually have the most powers or at least the cool ones. Unlike those frivolous effeminate little-miss-flower-power-sparkle-darkle whatever you call it " abilities. " That can only reach up to -1 HP damage.

Eris
08-16-2007, 02:04 PM
I roll a die at character creation, even when it isn't strictly necessary. But I also guess it sort of depends on your character.

I personally think it's more fun to play a male rogue womanizer than some 4 dollar wood elf skank who wears less clothes than the average bikini model and blames it on having no wardrobe to store clothes in the forest.

Why? Because anyone can make a hooker character. It takes 2 minutes of customization, and it's no sport what so ever. It takes no creativity and no real role playing.

Masali
08-16-2007, 02:23 PM
Usually, people usually use the excuse "I like looking at girl-butt while I play". Ok, that's all well and good but...keep it in your pants. If you're that much of a horndog that you need to have a pixelated girl's butt while you're raiding Kara. Gawd...

For me, I pick a male character on most occasions. Not because I'm insecure about my sexuality, not because I think it's "creepy" but simply because "I'm a guy in real life, my character is supposed to be a projection of me, I am not a girl in real life, my In game character shall be a male." It's simple. Although, in WoW I am often tempted to be a female character since the Human male models are stupid looking, the dwarves are dumb looking, gnome males are dumb looking, Draenei males...I mean c'mon, elephant goat people, it's already retarded. The only males I really don't mind playing are Blood Elves (because they actually look like Humans...with big ears), and Night Elves. If they'd make the Human males less FRIGGEN STUPID looking, I'd play them.

Eris
08-16-2007, 02:27 PM
[...], my character is supposed to be a projection of me, [...]

If you are role playing, your character should not be a version of you (hence the role part of role play). At least not all the time, that would be boring as watching paint dry

Flah Blah
08-16-2007, 02:36 PM
If you are role playing, your character should not be a version of you (hence the role part of role play). At least not all the time, that would be boring as watching paint dry

Yes, especially those textual roleplyers on chatsites who make their characters exact copies of themselves. They type/talk/act like they would OOC, it's not that they're not interesting people but come on. Who wants to see the same personality over and over? It's far too passive, like picking insect crap out of a barrel of rice with your fingers duct taped together.

Faceless111
08-16-2007, 02:48 PM
I recently started a female rogue blood elf on WoW out of sheer boredom, but I still prefer my mad-priest undead main guy as my top favorite character. I don't know, something about being an undead male is just really fun. I like the cannibalize ability in particular. And I just think undead females are just gross, so I avoid them all together.

Now, in games like Dynasty Warriors, I just plain and very flatly dislike any female characters. Mass killings of hundreds of enemy soldiers is unrealistic enough without having it be a female character wielding a huge sword doing the killings.

However, in other games like Elder Scrolls and Kotor, I'll sometimes make a female character for different reasons. In Kotor, the plot changes slightly based on gender so I'll usually go through those games twice as both genders. And sometimes I just get tired of creating male characters like in Oblivion and so I create a female character.

overwatch
08-16-2007, 02:49 PM
I gues it depends how you as an indevidual view the character you are playing - if you view them as yourself playing out a fantasy or if you are playing the part of another person in a fantasy. I agree, general consenus is that role play is you playing different people, but some people might just want to play as if they really were in that world

Also Masali - the first ever picture ever taken was of a women by a male photographer (the inventor); and yes it was U rated!

Regex
08-16-2007, 02:57 PM
Usually, people usually use the excuse "I like looking at girl-butt while I play". Ok, that's all well and good but...keep it in your pants. If you're that much of a horndog that you need to have a pixelated girl's butt while you're raiding Kara. Gawd...While I completely agree with what you are saying, that has more or less been my excuse that I say. But here I will go into further detail.

It's not about sexuality, so much as basic aesthetics. I enjoy the female form more than the male form, even when not thinking sexually at all. That's really all there is to it.

In response to Eris, I also completely agree, that if you are role playing, anyone can role play that type of character, and a challenge is far more satisfying. However, I don't actually role play in my RPG's all that often.. I enjoy the story from a third person perspective more than a first person, I suppose.

Now, as far as guys asking girls out, I actually found the opposite happened when WoW got popular. More girls started playing, and most guys realized that lots of the girls were actually guys. I got ignored all the time, while my friend who played a male had so many girls all over him all the time. I preferred what I had.

-Batman-
08-16-2007, 05:36 PM
I made 10 characters on WoW.

Only one is a male.
That character would be Redfield, since it's me!...All 1 levels of him (I deleted him, then remade him, he was actually level 32 when I did. I just couldn't stand his Night Elf mug anymore without Eyebrows.)
Also, Half of my Characters are Dreanai. Dreanei are teh awsome <3.

Like Regex, I make women for the same reason. Just one diffrence.
To me, most of the male characters...At LEAST in Warcraft, look flat out goofy to me.
The females are sooo much more pleasing to look at.

Then again, thats just Warcraft.
When I played SWG, My main was a Male, and my Alt was also a male.
And when I played City of Heroes/Villians, 2 of my three characters were Men (The third, obviously, a woman)

As for non-MMO games.
I typically roll Male unless continuity dictates otherwise (Because i'm a nerd).
In Kotor 1 and 2 for example...Darth Revan is ment to be a Man, so I always roll Male when playing Kotor 1. As for Kotor 2, the Exile IS ment to be a Female, so I always roll the Exile as a such.

Typically, I do mostly make males, the exception is WoW.

Knightmare
08-17-2007, 04:25 PM
I almost always play a male character when im playing online because Im not comfortable being a woman, though offline I have no such inabitions.

Cantelope
08-18-2007, 02:18 PM
I've often tried hard to play a female character. I guess the eye candy is alright, but I mean, it doesn't go very far at all. I've never been able to get a female alt past level 30. I just feel more comfortable playing a male character as I demolish everything in sight.

Too bad the night elf racials suck.

氷の動物
08-18-2007, 03:02 PM
For me it usually depends on the game and which gender of character I think looks cooler.

For instance as everyone has already said the males in WoW look goofy so I opted for a female. Whereas in Oblivion I wanted to play as an Orc and the Orc females look far worse then the Orc males so I went male.

Basically I just kinda proceed like that, whichever gender appeals more to me I play, though looking over the games I own most offline ones don't usually give you an option and you usually end up as a male though not in all cases.

Ever Uke
08-30-2007, 08:08 AM
I dunno...I just do what I feel. Maybe that's the way I am... :redface:

Manhattan_Project_2000
08-30-2007, 10:04 AM
In MMO's, I usually play male characters. I don't really dig the whole possibility of people thinking I'm actually a female. Most won't because their aren't any females on the internet, but some will.

For non-MMOs I usually play females, just for aesthetics.