PDA

View Full Version : Random Philosophy

-Kitsune-
08-13-2007, 06:28 PM
I know this will prolly get closed for being stupid, but I'd like to start a thread for those random, brilliant thoughts you get while sitting in your room doing nothing but listening to music...

Example:
Hm... in the ocean, do big fish associate with little fish? Or is it like a social thing according to size and the big fish dont wanna be seen around the little fish? o.o

Or why did they call it "make-up", like in the olden days, did old ladies wear it to "make up" for beauty lost over the years?

See? Its stupid, but brilliant.. >.>

Remember, its just for fun and for the sake of being random so dont act all smart and explain things others have posted -.-

Finvarra
08-13-2007, 06:31 PM
Zomg!
I know what you mean!

Mine is, if you say any word about 20 times it strts to sound weird. then you start to think.
Well, i do anyway.

-Kitsune-
08-13-2007, 07:07 PM
lol, I know! Say the words "finger" or "philosophy" about 20 times and you'll start to think strangely.... >.>

Overlord Darth Fluffles
08-13-2007, 07:08 PM
I have one, "Do babies feel things, or do they just non-stop cry for what they want?"

OR

"If 2+2=5, how bad would that screw up the world?"

-Kitsune-
08-13-2007, 07:16 PM
Oh yeah, heres another one that just came to me...
If babies dont know any words and their brains are practically blank, what do they think about, if they think at all? o.o

BiggSam
08-13-2007, 07:41 PM
Mine is, if you say any word about 20 times it strts to sound weird. then you start to think.
Well, i do anyway.

I have done that with the word "From".

Why is a hit with a baseball bat called a hit, and a hit with a golf club is a drive??

keezy.
08-13-2007, 08:03 PM
i think this is a good thread
this may sound stupid but sometimes i have dreams (not long ones just little flashes while i sleep) and then i wake up the next day and whatever i dreamed about happens O_o;; nothing like flying pigs or anything.
but i get a sense of déjà vu so i know it's happened before, even if it was just a dream.

so my crazy philosophy is: do u think our brains already know what's going to happen tomorrow?
my science teacher once said humans only use 10% of their brain... if that's true then what happens if we tap into the other 90%? do u think we would know what would happen in the future? O_o o_O

Manhattan_Project_2000
08-13-2007, 08:06 PM
Hm... in the ocean, do big fish associate with little fish? Or is it like a social thing according to size and the big fish dont wanna be seen around the little fish? o.o
Depends on the fish.

Remember, its just for fun and for the sake of being random so dont act all smart and explain things others have posted -.-
Then this is a post game, and a lolrandomwtf one at that. I shall ignore that sentence.

I have one, "Do babies feel things, or do they just non-stop cry for what they want?"
Think on this one. Do babys yell all the time? No. So they must be reacting to some sort of stimuli. Ergo, they feel.

"If 2+2=5, how bad would that screw up the world?"
Not at all. Numbers are abstract concepts. It doesn't matter what you call them. The concept of two plus the concept of two will always equal the concept of four.

Oh yeah, heres another one that just came to me...
If babies dont know any words and their brains are practically blank, what do they think about, if they think at all? o.o
They are pre-programmed with a certain amount of information. A lot of this information has to do with feeding, and basic communication (crying to communicate needs, identifying parents visually and aurally, etcetera), and other basic survival knowledge. For example, if you stick a baby in deep water, it will automatically hold its breath and start kicking. This ability disappears later. To put it differently, the brain is pre-loaded with the methods to process the information it needs to be able to process, and the methods it needs to use to develop itself further.

my science teacher once said humans only use 10% of their brain... if that's true then what happens if we tap into the other 90%? do u think we would know what would happen in the future? O_o o_O
There's already a topic on this misconception here (http://www.animeforum.com/showthread.php?t=62537). Tell your science teacher to go back to school and for the love of Pesci try studying this time.

-Kitsune-
08-13-2007, 08:08 PM
i think this is a good thread

this may sound stupid but sometimes i have dreams (not long ones just little flashes while i sleep) and then i wake up the next day and whatever i dreamed about happens O_o;; nothing like flying pigs or anything.
but i get a sense of déjà vu so i know it's happened before, even if it was just a dream.

so my crazy philosophy is: do u think our brains already know what's going to happen tomorrow?

Wow, that happens to me a lot too o.o Like a flash of tying my shoes or picking something up off my dresser or something useless like that... If only I could foresee the answer page to my Algebra exams or something useful...

Tempest Wind
08-13-2007, 09:39 PM
*Points to sig*

Yuuki Kurosu
08-13-2007, 11:15 PM
Wow, that happens to me a lot too o.o Like a flash of tying my shoes or picking something up off my dresser or something useless like that... If only I could foresee the answer page to my Algebra exams or something useful...

Same here. This is gonna sound weird but part of my family was phsyic so yeah, I guess I am alittle. This is a cool thread, it is nice to know that people think the same as me ^^ I am trying to think what some of my thoughts are that I have come across before but they aren't coming cuz I am so flippin' tired I will have to get back to you on that....< ponders >
THINK! THINK! THINK ! :banghead: Yeah lemme get back to you on that xD

Wio
08-13-2007, 11:34 PM
1/3, 2/3, and 3/3 have always facinated me a bit. 1/3 =3.333... going on forever. 1/3 + 1/3 = 2/6. 3.333... + 3.333... = 6.666...
However, it goes onto six forever never ending. We round 2/3 to 6.667, a seven at the end somewhere.

3.333... + 6.666... != 9.999..., infact it equals 1.000 or 1. 1/3 + 2/3 = 1. This makes sense... but you would think that it would be 9.999... in a sense.

Manhattan_Project_2000
08-14-2007, 09:10 AM
1/3, 2/3, and 3/3 have always facinated me a bit. 1/3 =3.333... going on forever. 1/3 + 1/3 = 2/6. 3.333... + 3.333... = 6.666...
However, it goes onto six forever never ending. We round 2/3 to 6.667, a seven at the end somewhere.

3.333... + 6.666... != 9.999..., infact it equals 1.000 or 1. 1/3 + 2/3 = 1. This makes sense... but you would think that it would be 9.999... in a sense.
Well, if you don't mind being infinitesimally inaccurate, it kind of does... Kind of.

Eris
08-14-2007, 09:54 AM
Well, if you don't mind being infinitesimally inaccurate, it kind of does... Kind of.

There are no real number non-zero infinitesimals. Thus, 1 - 0.999... is an infinitesimal, it is a real number (since real - real = real), therefore it has to be 0. In other words, 1 = 0.999...

---

As for "random philosophy" as you call it, I've come to the realization that shared ideas can be interpreted as individuals (meta-minds.) If a group of people share an idea, the idea will behave like a person. It will strive to survive, and to spread. It will even in some instances exert emotional behavior.

Overlord Darth Fluffles
08-14-2007, 11:55 AM
I gots something. 4646468768456 + FG5 = SHANE!!!!!! (Me) Sunk your battleship.

*~Lily_Gemini~*
08-14-2007, 12:05 PM
if numbers are infinite, and age is calculated by numbers, then why do we die? wouldnt we be infinite too?

Eris
08-14-2007, 12:07 PM
if numbers are infinite, and age is calculated by numbers, then why do we die? wouldnt we be infinite too?

If numbers are infinite, and length is calculated by numbers, then why is barely anyone taller than 6'3"?

eskubus
08-14-2007, 12:12 PM

Age and numbers have nothing to do with our wellbeing. For me, age is there for formal reasons. Many people don't even know their real age. We don't depend on 'age' to live, obviously. We depend on our body's ability to maintain its functions; our organs to not fail; and sickness not taking over us and us not dying from it.

It's not philosophy, it's biology.

*~Lily_Gemini~*
08-14-2007, 12:15 PM
..........point taken like a bullet to the back of the head

Perpetual Specter
08-14-2007, 12:21 PM
I wonder if space has an end,or if it constantly grows bigger,or does it go on forever.Is there an end to it at all?

-Kitsune-
08-14-2007, 12:34 PM
I have a theory on space, what is the main substance in space? I mean, it cant be just nothing, can it?
Earth is to air as
Space is to ???
If someone foreign to earth were to analyze Earths makeup, they'd probably guess air to be nothing, just empty space.

Eris
08-14-2007, 01:27 PM
I have a theory on space, what is the main substance in space? I mean, it cant be just nothing, can it?
Earth is to air as
Space is to ???
If someone foreign to earth were to analyze Earths makeup, they'd probably guess air to be nothing, just empty space.

It is actually filled with a very thin gas, mainly hydrogen. It's got so low density so most people think of it as stray particles in space, but it really isn't any different from other gases apart from it's low density.

They are so few that they are measured in atoms per cm^3, and usually values are cited around 1 atom per cm^3. That's some 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 times less dense than hydrogen gas here on earth. For reference, that's about the size difference between a pea and the area of China.

lordrellik8
08-14-2007, 04:47 PM
I wounder if there's truely a "heaven or hell"?
And if death is 4ever?

-Kitsune-
08-14-2007, 04:51 PM
I wounder if there's truely a "heaven or hell"?
And if death is 4ever?
My theory on that is that when we die, our souls are reborn, with no memory of the previous life... (I got that idea when I heard that "When one human dies, another is born" >.> Its absurd, I know, but thats what this thread is for... -.-

lordrellik8
08-14-2007, 05:38 PM
Some time I get like random memories of other people or things, and can be a little messed-up if you know what I mean.

Manhattan_Project_2000
08-14-2007, 05:45 PM
As for "random philosophy" as you call it, I've come to the realization that shared ideas can be interpreted as individuals (meta-minds.) If a group of people share an idea, the idea will behave like a person. It will strive to survive, and to spread. It will even in some instances exert emotional behavior.

That's basically a the definition of a Meme (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meme).

BiggSam
08-14-2007, 05:51 PM
Why do great ideas disappear right when you...not again!!!

Manhattan_Project_2000
08-14-2007, 06:32 PM
Why do great ideas disappear right when you...not again!!!
Murphy's Law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murphy&#37;27s_law)

BiggSam
08-14-2007, 06:34 PM
Murphy's Law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murphy%27s_law)

thank you...i completely forgot about that

Eris
08-15-2007, 03:21 PM
My theory on that is that when we die, our souls are reborn, with no memory of the previous life... (I got that idea when I heard that "When one human dies, another is born" >.> Its absurd, I know, but thats what this thread is for... -.-

But how is it still our soul? After all, memories is all we are.

Eris
08-15-2007, 03:26 PM
That's basically a the definition of a Meme (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meme).

It's a bit different. A meme is more of a virus, it evolves, spreads and adapts, but my idea is sort of like a collective conscious: That shared ideas think and behave like their vessels--like humans.

keezy.
08-15-2007, 05:30 PM

Yea i know. it only seems to be short clips of something worthless...
-.-

then again you never fully remember a dream so maybe your brain runs through the whole day for you while you sleep but you don't remember it when you wake up... =/

BiggSam
08-15-2007, 06:36 PM
Why do people always write LOL...its not like they're going to LOQ (laugh out quiet)

Wio
08-16-2007, 01:31 AM
Infinitesimal accuracy is something you learn an take for granted. There is no actual logic behind it, it just is.
The sum of 3 and 6 is 9. If you do this an infinite amount of times (3.333... + 6.666...), you will continue to get 9 and never get 10.
I can understand your failing to understand this concept though if you are the type that nods at the instructor and doesn't actually think about the purpose or innerworkings of mathematics.

If a group of people share an idea, the idea will behave like a person. It will strive to survive, and to spread. It will even in some instances exert emotional behavior.
Could you give a concrete example?

Saiyan Destroyer
08-16-2007, 02:33 AM
Yeah, I have a web page to them. Bad Pick up lines (http://linesthataregood.com) and Crazy Thoughts (crazythoughts.com) both stole those from me. I'm 100% original ;) Seriously though, those ARE WHAT ID DO THINKG OF.

Manhattan_Project_2000
08-16-2007, 07:42 PM
Infinitesimal accuracy is something you learn an take for granted. There is no actual logic behind it, it just is.
The sum of 3 and 6 is 9. If you do this an infinite amount of times (3.333... + 6.666...), you will continue to get 9 and never get 10.
I can understand your failing to understand this concept though if you are the type that nods at the instructor and doesn't actually think about the purpose or innerworkings of mathematics.
That's what I said. 1/3 + 2/3 = 1. If you add 3.333... + 6.666..., you’d appear to get 9.999... But you'd actually get 1. You'd be off from the actual answer by as inconceivably small an amount as you could ever be off by. Hence infinitesimal. Although, at the same time you could say that 9.999… = 1 because it’s such a small difference as to be negligible.

And if I’m missing something, it’s because I was never taught it. My educational history post-middle school is… complicated. Most of what I know I have taught myself by reading. I'll freely admit that mathmatics is my weakest subject, because I never cared until recently. But thanks for the ad hominim anyway.

Reniti
08-16-2007, 07:51 PM
Oooh. Ahh.
This may sound dumb, but here's mine: Why can't children just eat up all the vitamins in the cup if they want to? It's healthy.

Xd, I tried.

Kishiro
08-16-2007, 08:18 PM
While on the subject of numbers, has anyone else ever stopped to think and or realize that the names we associate with the numbers we see and think about are only such?

"A rose by any other name would smell just as sweet."

It's one thing to think about with objects, because not so many people would object to that thought.

However, if you hold your hand out in front of you at someone with all your digits spread eagle, they're going to tell you that you're showing them five.

Just for a simple example, that could have just as easily been called four, because you have to remember that at some point, people named numbers, and named them what they did for whatever reason.

For all you that hate math, I hope this has darkened your day a bit. :3

Manhattan_Project_2000
08-16-2007, 08:19 PM
Oooh. Ahh.
This may sound dumb, but here's mine: Why can't children just eat up all the vitamins in the cup if they want to? It's healthy.

Xd, I tried.

Some of the vitamins in those pills are harmless in large amounts (your body absorbs a set amount, and gets rid of the rest), but some can be poisonous in large doses.

Wio
08-16-2007, 11:41 PM
Oooh. Ahh.

Xd, I tried.
Vitamins cost money. Most people don't like to buy a bottle of vitamins for every day when it isn't necesary.

Eris
08-17-2007, 04:29 PM
That's what I said. 1/3 + 2/3 = 1. If you add 3.333... + 6.666..., you’d appear to get 9.999... But you'd actually get 1. You'd be off from the actual answer by as inconceivably small an amount as you could ever be off by. Hence infinitesimal. Although, at the same time you could say that 9.999… = 1 because it’s such a small difference as to be negligible.

And if I’m missing something, it’s because I was never taught it. My educational history post-middle school is… complicated. Most of what I know I have taught myself by reading. I'll freely admit that mathmatics is my weakest subject, because I never cared until recently. But thanks for the ad hominim anyway.

Argh! This whole subject of discussion is rotten to the core based on this following fact I stated earlier: There are no non-zero infinitesimals in the reals (the numbers that don't have an imaginary unit, for people with no concept of imaginary or complex numbers, that is is all numbers you are currently aware of.)

This has been proven. Thus, if the difference between 0.999... and 1 is an infinitesimal, it is zero. There is no error.

Saiyan Destroyer
08-17-2007, 04:38 PM
I'm telling an you youn'ins that Crazy Thoughts (http://crazythoughts.com) are the best philosphy to live by. Not Confusious, not Buddah, not Jesus even. Althought I'll give Confusious "Man who stand on toilet, high on pot." He IS a genious.