PDA

View Full Version : Title Suggestions Thread

Fabala
08-11-2007, 05:43 AM
One of my curses is that I am nearly incapable of writing a story (no matter how desperately I want to) without having already decided on a title which captures the very essence of it. I like my titles to have several meanings in relation to the story: a glaringly obvious one, of course, and one or more less obvious that usually make sense towards the end. I like to think I usually succeed on that account, but who knows?

Anyway, I am in need of help! I have a story that I have been dying to write for months now, but I haven't thought up "that" title yet. It doesn't need to be the final title, but it needs to get the writing juice flowing, so to speak.

A (very) brief summary: A loosely adapted retelling of Peter Pan in which we follow a man on his quest for the greatest treasure in the world. He is a man obsessed with time, obsessed because each tick of the clock hand brings him that much closer with the inevitable death that awaits us all. He is a frugal, frighteningly organized man. The compassion he shows is saved only for those who help him complete tasks more rapidly and efficiently and even then is not genuine. In truth he is a lonely man who cannot imagine simply disappearing with time.

To tell any more would be spoiling the surprises ;p Sorry.

So what I'm looking for is a stream of ideas for titles having to do with time, the passing of time, death, or an obsession with either. I can't guarantee I'll use any one title suggested, but it is very likely I'll at least be inspired by one.

So, suggest away!

And, should Princess Ai approve, I don't see why others can't request suggestions here.

Daenerys
08-12-2007, 07:48 AM
I really need to use princess ai again.

Something with Time in the title. Not time teller... hmm. Tick Tock, or something like that... Crap, what's a word for a totally OCD kinda guy? It could be that word, then like... something with time.

Im pptty bad at titles too, obviously

Ichiro Matsuchani
08-12-2007, 06:19 PM
Well, you talk of a man with an OCD disorder, and, based from your description, has great attention to the tiniest of details.

It seems he has the greatest fear for what he cannot comprehend, which is death. It might be a little lame, but I'd go with "The Loose Detail".

Yugure's Goddess
08-15-2007, 12:02 AM
Okay, I hope this isn't considered rude or intrusive but I'd kinda like to build off of Ichiro's idea. 'Newtonian Detail' since Newtonian time is the belief, or rather concept, that time can be measured and that it is a dimension of the universe in which things occur in sequence.

Or perhaps something contradictory to the feel of the story that you're trying to create. I do that a lot when naming characters in my stories. I try to pick a name that fits but if translated from whatever language it may be in, seems to contradict how the character seems at first. So maybe something with the word 'Eternity' or a synonym of 'Eternity' in it. Perhaps 'Newtonian Eternity'.

You could also find a way to throw Pendulum in there though it's bit cliché.

If those are bad then, whatever. I tried.

love
dani
dude

Ichiro Matsuchani
08-15-2007, 03:56 PM
Okay, I hope this isn't considered rude or intrusive but I'd kinda like to build off of Ichiro's idea. 'Newtonian Detail' since Newtonian time is the belief, or rather concept, that time can be measured and that it is a dimension of the universe in which things occur in sequence.Nicely thought out. I kinda came up with that on the fly, so I didn't put much thought into it.

Ωmega
08-20-2007, 02:21 PM
"Death of Time"

I kept trying to find that Latin translation to it, but my online translator doesnt wanna work for me today =/

Fabala
08-20-2007, 05:21 PM
Why Latin? o.O

mikadzuki
08-21-2007, 08:07 AM
i would like to suggest/help too...^^

Hmm... "a stream of ideas for titles having to do with time, the passing of time, death, or an obsession with either."

Death & Time--so i thought of things that symbolizes/connotes the two and here are what popped out... hope it helps--even only in the tiniest bit...
...so how about:

Cheating the Old Man & the Reaper
Silent Gods of Neverland (gods i.e. death & time^^)
Tied to the Pendulum
Chains of Time
Breaking the Glass (glass i.e. hourglass^^)
Second Hand of Time (a title from DN Angel-not an original, but i could spark an idea or something^^)

Ωmega
08-22-2007, 10:33 AM
Why Latin? o.O
Cause Latin makes everything sound nifty =3

Ichiro Matsuchani
08-22-2007, 04:06 PM
Why Latin? o.OIt makez u sound liek u hav a lot of smartz. =B

Fabala
08-22-2007, 07:36 PM
I don't think so, personally. Translating a few words is no big deal, but having a title in another language will instantly make the reader feel separated from whatever meaning you're trying to get them to see through that title. Besides, it strikes me as a little...well, pretentious, to use another language for the sole reason of it looking cool or nifty. Like saying to the reader, "Haha, you are dumb for not knowing what I meant."

But that's me. I wouldn't and haven't done it.

Buruku
08-22-2007, 08:05 PM
Paranoia's Clock?

Fabala
08-22-2007, 08:37 PM
Thanks for all the ideas guys ^^ I haven't settled on anything yet, but the wheels are certainly turning, much of that due to this thread.

Flah Blah
08-22-2007, 09:47 PM
Interval of Compulsion
Pendulum Distoria
Rebound Oscillation
The Clock's Ticking

Mm, all I could think of at the moment.

mikadzuki
08-23-2007, 06:43 AM
I don't think so, personally. Translating a few words is no big deal, but having a title in another language will instantly make the reader feel separated from whatever meaning you're trying to get them to see through that title. Besides, it strikes me as a little...well, pretentious, to use another language for the sole reason of it looking cool or nifty. Like saying to the reader, "Haha, you are dumb for not knowing what I meant."

But that's me. I wouldn't and haven't done it.

although translating words to use as titles can sometimes sound cool... i think that the writer would have to think of the target audience/readers because although the title may sound cool to the writer it may not necessarily catch the attention of the intended readers and it would not readily show what the story is about or at least where its headed--not unless the one that chanced upon the story/work is familiar with the language/dialect^^

Capernicus
08-28-2007, 05:28 PM
Oh oh, mine is going to be totally awesome.

Thread of Time

Obviously, I'm not very good at coming up with titles for fics. *coughBrookiecough*