PDA

View Full Version : Trip to Uganda

Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki
08-02-2007, 12:13 PM
I volunteer at the zoo, and I've been doing so for a while now. A couple of the other volunteers and I have now gotten rewarded. The zoo plans trips every summer for the volunteers to go, and this year they went to Peru. However, next year they're going to Uganda. I'm eligible to go now, too. Everything is paid for, except the plane ticket. Here comes the real draw back, it costs $4,200... now I honestly can't afford that. In fact, I can barely afford half of that. The highest that my mother could pay is about $2,000. I do have family that all together could pay about $1,000. But my goal is to allow my mom to not have to pay a single dollar except for sueveniers (SP?).
So, I have decided to set up a stand to sell stuff. Of course this will include cookies, but I don't want it to just be that. I want to know you're opinion on what I should sell. Something nice, simple, and not over $10. Note that I will not have electricity. I just want to sell something different and unique that will interest people into coming to my stand. Please be serious about this and don't say something like, "Sell cookies!" or "Sell PC's!". That's rude, and I'm really serious about this.

Post away, please ^^!

P.S: It also doesn't have to be something at the stand. If you think setting up a pay pal account and asking for donations is a good idea or something like that, please recommend something like that.

Queen Dopplepopolis!
08-02-2007, 12:55 PM
haha, i'm not trying to be rude about this, but could you get a job?
i know there's always jobs where you don't have any commitment, like those one day jobs. you could do that, too.

08-02-2007, 01:03 PM
Unfotunately, there is no way I can get a job for certain reasons. One of which is that I have no time to commit to it. If I could, I would have stated.

Capernicus
08-02-2007, 02:08 PM
Jobs are hard to get at such short notice as well, unless you know someone who already works there.

Where is this stand being set up?

08-03-2007, 11:28 AM
Jobs are hard to get at such short notice as well, unless you know someone who already works there.

Where is this stand being set up?

It's being set up in front of a popular theater.

Capernicus
08-03-2007, 11:40 AM
Hm...then perhaps you should sell theater-related things. Maybe old movie posters and 3-D glasses and Simpsons plushies. And laser pens (the boys at work all have the kind that shock you if you press the wrong button, I'm sure that will sell wel) and whatever else is completely annoying. Silent whistles to drive your neighbors dog crazy. Those stupid finger skateboards that used to be the height of cool when I was in high school.

Just throwin stuff out there, mostly stuff that's inexpensive.

xXsasukeXxXuchihaXx
08-03-2007, 11:45 AM
Um i really have no comment but i guess thats good that you dont want your mom to pay

Faroelove
08-03-2007, 11:49 AM
I volunteer at the zoo, and I've been doing so for a while now. A couple of the other volunteers and I have now gotten rewarded. The zoo plans trips every summer for the volunteers to go, and this year they went to Peru. However, next year they're going to Uganda. I'm eligible to go now, too. Everything is paid for, except the plane ticket. Here comes the real draw back, it costs $4,200... now I honestly can't afford that. In fact, I can barely afford half of that. The highest that my mother could pay is about $2,000. I do have family that all together could pay about $1,000. But my goal is to allow my mom to not have to pay a single dollar except for sueveniers (SP?).
So, I have decided to set up a stand to sell stuff. Of course this will include cookies, but I don't want it to just be that. I want to know you're opinion on what I should sell. Something nice, simple, and not over $10. Note that I will not have electricity. I just want to sell something different and unique that will interest people into coming to my stand. Please be serious about this and don't say something like, "Sell cookies!" or "Sell PC's!". That's rude, and I'm really serious about this.

Post away, please ^^!

P.S: It also doesn't have to be something at the stand. If you think setting up a pay pal account and asking for donations is a good idea or something like that, please recommend something like that.

Uganda is in Africa right? At my church was a visitor who told us about Uganda and the missions trip. I'm not sure if thats what your doing though but Uganda seems pretty rural. But it's also very pretty!

Getting job at such short notice is hard because getting right hours and right pay is difficult. Either pay or hours is sacrrificed....for me it's those darn hours....

I think you should sell trading cards. Kids usually buy them and cheap Yu-Gi-Oh cards that kids like should be a hit.

Buruku
08-03-2007, 11:58 AM
Get an Egg. Take the egg to someones house and tell them about your trip and your volunteer work and that you need donations. Ask them to buy the egg from you for any amount they want, even 10 cents, and then ask them to donate an egg to you.

Take the egg they donated and go to the next house and repeat.

I've had a lot of friends do this for school trips and make a ton of money.

BTW I think you volunteering an getting to go on trips is AWESOME. And I'm super jealous, I wish I lived near a zoo.

Faroelove
08-03-2007, 12:12 PM
Get an Egg. Take the egg to someones house and tell them about your trip and your volunteer work and that you need donations. Ask them to buy the egg from you for any amount they want, even 10 cents, and then ask them to donate an egg to you.

BTW I think you volunteering an getting to go on trips is AWESOME. And I'm super jealous, I wish I lived near a zoo.
That sounds like a trick donation...... It's sort of cool.

███
08-03-2007, 12:52 PM
Unfortunately that is a lot of money to earn just from a stand, how are you suppose to get the materials to sell anyway? Won't that cost money?

How do you have the time to devote to a stand but not work? Your best bet is to borrow the money from family, go on the trip then get a job to pay your family back.

Masali
08-03-2007, 01:32 PM
I think the paypal thing would also be a decent idea if you could like...get the Zoo to help you or whatev. Personally, I'd never EVER want to go to Uganda...or anywhere in Africa (I think it's in africa...) It just seems like the most desolate, boring, un-interesting place...ever. Disease ridden and stuff...except egypt! Egypt sounds awesome, especially Cairo. Besides, then I could like go into Cairo and be like "I'D LIKE TO BUY SOME MILLENNIUM ITEMS PLZ!!"

08-04-2007, 11:33 PM
Thank you all so much. I like most of your ideas, and I really appreciate your contributions.

Anyway, I'm aware that it's hard to make that kind of money from a stand, but I never said that I was going to pay all of it off.

Wio
08-05-2007, 01:31 AM

What is the point of the egg again?

My parents were part of the Unification Church which had people fundraising as a lifestyle. They made Sun Myung Moon a lot of money...

What I think you should do is ditch the stand idea and go door to door. You make much more money when you are in their face rather than a stand they can walk around. My parents said a lot of money was made selling flowers, sock puppets, wind chimes, etc. If you are a girl, you'll sell things really easily. If you are a guy you'll probably have some trouble so you might get a female friend to help you out with a bit of the earnings as reward or something.