PDA

View Full Version : What does のだ means?

Miriel
07-26-2007, 08:08 AM
What does のだ mean? I've heard it in many anime, especially there's a lot of it in Chichiri's speach in Fushigi ^_^
I know that it's used at the end of the sentence.
And the sense is something like "that's it" or "it's a fact". Am I right?

shinnraiu
07-26-2007, 01:25 PM
Uhh I'm not sure what exactly you're speaking of (because I don't remember anime speech nor Chichiri's speech atm-altho i remember he had a weird speech) But "no da" can be used to like uh...(insert forgotten english words here) it can be equivalent of "n da" which is used to like get attention to like.. the verb or whatever.

"boku ga biiru wo nondakoto ga aru no da"
i HAVE drank beer before

if it like.. makes sense or something. I always forget how to explain things in english when I need to. u-u; even if it's just simple words.. *sigh*

Datenshi
07-27-2007, 07:44 AM
I notice nobody has mentioned that this is actually a slurred form of 'である' (de aru) [*edit* or more correctly, のである (no de aru)], which means 'it is'.

In fact, the the word has no direct English equivalent. It's simply what you slap onto the end of a phrase to lay emphathis on your statement and show it is important in order to understand the point you want to make.

Hope that helps.

Miriel
07-27-2007, 07:50 AM
Thanks!

VraieEsprit
08-15-2007, 01:38 AM
I think the way characters like Chichiri or Sakuma Ryuuichi from Gravitation use it is really just to mark out their speech. I know it's translated in FY as "you know" but that's just ugly...

Isn't it "no desu" that it's originally pulled from...?

But I'm pretty sure it's just the same as Chichiri saying "oira" instead of "ore" or "boku" when talking about himself....or Tasuki speaking in Kansai and saying "nan'ya" instead of nan'da.

It's just meant for character effect in those circs...I think...

Vraie

harimakenji_scramble
08-17-2007, 01:53 AM
はい、はい、ハジメマシテ 悩める子羊くん。「のだ」 はね、語尾の一種なんだよ。 そーだね、例えてみれ ば 「ナルト」では皆さん知っての通り、「だってばよ」が付くよね。そういうカンジでアニメには様々な語尾 が出て来るんだよね。それもまあ、特定のキャラが目立つようにトレードマークとして使われてる場合が多いね 。少しでも参考になったらうれしいね。それじゃ、バイニー!