PDA

View Full Version : [お前。。。オレの事を] How do you use 事 within this?

SasuNaru723
07-13-2007, 01:24 AM
I'm stuggling with a doujinshi I'm translating and I'm proud to say that I've translated so far a quater of the doujinshi. It's a Naruto yaoi doujinshi and right now I'm trying to translate this sentence that Sasuke is saying to Naruto. Half of it I get, but even though I know what the words mean in English, I'm not sure how it is suppose to turn out when said in English.

Sasuke says this.... [お前。。。オレの事を]

お前 is saying "you," so I get that; I hear it all the time in the anime of Naruto. Plus, オレ is the male term of "I" and の is the sign of ownership or saying that it's yours, but I don't know 事 that well. I know that it's koto, but so far in my knowledge of the Japanese language, I haven't yet covered koto at all in any sentences. I might be learning it in fall when college starts again and it will be my 4th quater of Japanese (plus I have two full years of Japanese from high school).

Can anyone give me feedback on this? I'd greatly appreciate it! ^_^

LavaBug
07-13-2007, 02:33 AM
"ore no koto" means just "i" but the emphasis is on "i" (if you get me)
using koto in conjunction with "watashi,boku,ore,etc" is not unusual, it
may be used in this situation to emphasize that it's HIM doing whatever he does (it's yaoi so I dont want to know :P)...
and "omae" is not just "you" but some pretty derogative form of "you"
if this helps...

shinnraiu
07-13-2007, 02:17 PM
and "omae" is not just "you" but some pretty derogative form of "you"
if this helps...
I don't know what "derogative form" means... but omae is used to someone who's in front of you.

But anyway, koto is just like... yeah as that person said. It like.. makes it... complete and stuff... I can't say it in English. I don't think it can be translated. "ore no koto"... like... all of me... iono. Lol...

LavaBug
07-13-2007, 05:04 PM
derogative means impolite

SasuNaru723
07-14-2007, 09:31 PM
I think I pretty much get it now. So koto is more of an emphasis when describing something. I guess when I actually do begin to learn it in Japanese hopefully this fall that I'll get it all down and it will come natural. I totally understand that it's kind of one of those... well, you just know things, as in it really can't be translated-translated, but you just use it. Yeah, confusing to explain -definatly. Thanks for both of your help! :D