PDA

View Full Version : Man Arrested for Shooting His PC

Saiyan Destroyer
07-01-2007, 02:10 PM
A Gillette man was arrested at his home last Thursday night after he fired eight bullets at his home computer, according to police.

The man, Michael A. Case, 35, of 64 Summit Ave., was arrested shortly after 11 p.m., at his house, when police said they received a report that shots were fired. They arrived at the home to find a .44 Magnum automatic handgun and a shot-up IBM personal computer with a Princeton Graphics System monitor.

The monitor screen was blown out by the blasts and its inner workings were visible, Lt. Donald Van Tassel said on Monday. The computer, which had bullet holes in its hardware, was hit four times while four more bullet holes were found in various areas next to the computer, Van Tassel said.

"The only thing he (Case) said was that he was mad at his computer so he shot it," Van Tassel said.

The handgun, which the lieutenant identified as an Israeli Arms Desert Eagle .44, has "a lot of firepower," he said. "It's a big gun." Case used hollow-point, or dum-dum, bullets, he added.

Case was surprised when police arrested him because he didn't think he was breaking the law, Van Tassel said. "He couldn't understand why he couldn't shoot his own computer in his own home," Van Tassel said.

Case was charged with recklessly creating a risk and using a firearm against the property of another, because the house is reportedly owned by a relative. The walls were also damaged by the shots, according to police.

He was also charged with unlawful posession of a firearm without a permit, and with possession of illegal bullets, police said.

In addition, Case was issued to summonses, for discharging a weapon in a restricted area and for discharging a single-projectile weapon, police said.

Case spent early Friday morning in the Morris County Jail and was released later in the day on $2,500 bail, according to police.

http://www.ahajokes.com/true012.html

No matter how many tiems I read this, I always laugh.

Ichiro Matsuchani
07-01-2007, 02:32 PM
I can imagine that most people would wonder, "Why is he being arrested?" Yes, it is true that it's not breaking the law if you break something that you own. But shooting eight bullets into his computer? A .44 Eagle even? That's just a sign of mental disability.

Here's my question: How can someone without a gun permit get a hold of a Desert Eagle? That's just scary.

Acnologia
07-01-2007, 02:34 PM
Theres pawns and other such things everywhere. He could have easily gotten it off the street.
Poor computer. ;~;

♠♣♥♦
07-01-2007, 02:35 PM
LOL.

e-rage at its finest.

Future_Defense
07-01-2007, 02:40 PM
Wow. Did he say why he felt like shooting his computer? Other than "I got mad, so I shot it"

Eris
07-01-2007, 02:41 PM
I can imagine that most people would wonder, "Why is he being arrested?" Yes, it is true that it's not breaking the law if you break something that you own. But shooting eight bullets into his computer? A .44 Eagle even? That's just a sign of mental disability.

Though mental disability, last time I checked, is not illegal.

Saiyan Destroyer
07-01-2007, 02:48 PM
It's not illegal (anymore) to be insane, schitzophrenic, manic depressive, etc. There are times I feel like taking my computers and throw them off a bridge, but traffic is why I DO NOT do that.

Seena Angel
07-01-2007, 04:02 PM
lolz no wonder he got arrested!

Antares
07-01-2007, 04:28 PM
Wow. Did he say why he felt like shooting his computer? Other than "I got mad, so I shot it"

"It got lag" But, seriously, shoot the poor computer?

DOOM!
07-01-2007, 05:00 PM
The man is legally right to be angry.
And shooting computers should be exempligratia!!!

Ωmega
07-01-2007, 05:14 PM
I thought it was funny that the officer called them "dum-dums" which they arent. Dum-Dums are blanks, which are completly different from hollow points.

Much like the google maps (http://www.gearlive.com/index.php/news/article/google-maps-helps-fight-traffic-tickets-07160942/) case, this should be dropped due to incorrect information on the officers part.

LadyPSerenity
07-01-2007, 06:17 PM
I have to ask myself, how many of you clicked the link?

Lance and I are sitting here going "what city" so we clicked the link and looked at the article.

Everyone missed this

A Municipal Court appearance is scheduled for today, Sept. 17.

Anyone else see one of the problems?

The other, it's posted on "haha jokes" website. I highly doubt this story is real. However, I've been wrong before. Someone give a credible source as is this doesn't seem likely. Considering the date isn't even right.

Manhattan_Project_2000
07-01-2007, 06:49 PM
I have to ask myself, how many of you clicked the link?

Lance and I are sitting here going "what city" so we clicked the link and looked at the article.

Everyone missed this

A Municipal Court appearance is scheduled for today, Sept. 17.

Anyone else see one of the problems?

The other, it's posted on "haha jokes" website. I highly doubt this story is real. However, I've been wrong before. Someone give a credible source as is this doesn't seem likely. Considering the date isn't even right.

Found another source (http://www.eff.org/Net_culture/Criticisms/man_shoots_computer.article). It said the man was from Gillette in that quote. And why would Sept. 17 be a valid point anyway? He didn't say it was current... and according to this link it happened in 1987.

LadyPSerenity
07-01-2007, 07:03 PM
Both Lance and I were assuming this was a current story - mistake in the fact that it wasn't stated it was not.

I also left the topic open so more sources could be found, thank you.

Devi
07-01-2007, 07:10 PM
Well, That is intresting... I well maybe his illegal downloading wasn't working for him so he was like Forget this... DIE! Lol, Why only 8 shots... might as well keep shooting... and Wouldn't one get the job done first?!?!

Plus... It's his gun... aslong as its legal why the hell did he get arrested? Unless he didn't have a liscenes for the gun... I see no point for that except for the goverment to make money on his arrest!

Shame'ness... See kids... why guns get you introuble... you might shoot someone... or worse a COMPUTER!

Kagura_Sohma
07-01-2007, 07:14 PM
I'd seriously shoot a real person before EVER shoot my computer. Doing that is like shooting my best friend.

Bucky Katt
07-01-2007, 07:21 PM
Well, That is intresting... I well maybe his illegal downloading wasn't working for him so he was like Forget this... DIE! Lol, Why only 8 shots... might as well keep shooting... and Wouldn't one get the job done first?!?!

Plus... It's his gun... aslong as its legal why the hell did he get arrested? Unless he didn't have a liscenes for the gun... I see no point for that except for the goverment to make money on his arrest!

Shame'ness... See kids... why guns get you introuble... you might shoot someone... or worse a COMPUTER!

The government would have made money, no matter how the situation turned out. All I can say is that the computer had it coming.

Manhattan_Project_2000
07-01-2007, 07:30 PM

Based on the fact this apparently happened in 1987, I would say it was more likey he got ate by a grue (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zork).

Ichiro Matsuchani
07-01-2007, 08:04 PM
Though mental disability, last time I checked, is not illegal.But someone such as this possessing a fire-arm is something of a concern. I think that his arrest was fully justified.

By the way, it said in the report that he did not have the proper permit for that type of weapon.

Saiyan Destroyer
07-01-2007, 09:27 PM

I think the .44 Magnum is illegal, I could be wrong. It's the fact he fired 8 LIVE rounds in a suburban area. You cann't shoot weapons in suburban areas because you could hit kids, even if you live in an retirement community. The ammunition he was using IS illegal in every country, armor piercing rounds CAN NOT be purchased by Civilians.

But someone such as this possessing a fire-arm is something of a concern. I think that his arrest was fully justified.

By the way, it said in the report that he did not have the proper permit for that type of weapon.

Depends on what country you live in. If you're in Canada and your neightbor has a gun, I'd be worried since guns are ILLEGAL in Canada. My friend has an (non-functioning) M16A2 in his room, noone's worried about him. He's not going around going postal. A .44 Magnum requires a special permit since it's a MAGNUM. The most powerful Handgun type IN THE WORLD.

Lunafreya Fleuret
07-02-2007, 12:54 AM
<_<..You might want to verify that it is the most powerful handgun before you say it is.

Wio
07-02-2007, 01:00 AM

Most cities don't allow people to shoot dangerous firearms within the city... infact usually they have to be quite a bit away from the city. It's a
(major) disturbance of the peace and is dangerous regardless. There is the obvious exception of self-defence, but that is not the case here, at least we humans would hope not. =]

Chris-san
07-02-2007, 02:06 AM
Yeah, sometimes I feel like shooting my computer. Doesn't mean I'd actually do it. And a .44 Eagle? Who does he think he is, Dirty Harry? O_o

Karel
07-02-2007, 02:35 AM
eh.. why not... he payed for the computer and the gun and no one was hurt at the end.

Tempest Wind
07-02-2007, 02:39 AM
All in all, this seems like a stupid reason for being arrested <.<

Capernicus
07-02-2007, 02:45 AM
lol Oh this is funny. Man, I wish I could shoot my computer when it lagged.

zyronet
07-02-2007, 05:14 AM
Haha! Poor computer.
Strange news are always entertaining.

keezy.
07-02-2007, 06:27 AM
i don't get it... i know he might have a mental illness, or something but still, he's showing some sanity by taking his anger/problems out on a pc instead of a human.

besides it was his cp in his house. and it's not like anyone was at risk other then possibly himself. he can destroy his property however he wants.
if u think about it, how is this different from burning our garbage, or putting it in a garbage truck (that smashes it to bits) that's destructive to >_<

it's not like i'm siding w/ the guy (don't think that, no way man, he's crazy O.o) but still he has rights! it's not like he shot a person it was just an object (that belonged to him)

so should he have gotten arrested for that? [if anything maybe the charges should've been craziness] (tho it is funny, i doubt he laughed about it)

so i say he shouldn't have been arrested i say he should've been put into an insane asylum or something. but he shouldn't have to pay for anything (like he did w/ the bail)

Saiyan Destroyer
07-02-2007, 01:05 PM
It wasn't his house. It was a family members. Those eco-environmentalists made sure we cannot burn our garbage or burn our leaves. I'm just saying if you happen to drop your cigarette in the pile of VERY dry leaves and it's 10 ft. away from any houses, it's not your fault. It's your smokes. He did create a risk and discharged a deadly weapon within in an high population area. He also had posession (SP?) of illegal ammunition. He should go down for the illegal ammo IMO. If only I can find me M-80's so I could be the topic instead... ;)

Anpan Hayase
07-02-2007, 02:08 PM
HAHAHA.

Oh Gawd... I cried from laughing.

Pfff... Heh..heh... HAHAHAHA!

Marshmallow Fluff
07-02-2007, 04:56 PM
That's funny. :laugh:

Ichiro Matsuchani
07-03-2007, 03:19 PM
Just for some FYI. The gun that he shot his computer with is NOT the most powerful handgun in the world. The most powerful handgun is a .44 magnum.