PDA

View Full Version : favorite books/authors

uchiha_siy
06-30-2007, 11:07 AM
Im looking for some good books to read and thought what better way of finding out about good books than to ask everyone what there favorites are!

My favorite authors are stephen king (his dark tower series are my all time favorite books) and terry pratchett, i enjoy fantasy and horror books mostly but i also really enjoy books that mke you think such as catcher in the rye and of mice and men (two of my other all time favorites!)

Petrol Gas
06-30-2007, 11:25 AM
I really thought that The Great Gatsby was great, but I get the suspicion that I was morphing the book so that it was something I wanted it to be...

unspun
06-30-2007, 11:31 AM
dark tower is also my favorite, so try reading piers anthony's xanth novels.

Anpan Hayase
06-30-2007, 12:51 PM
It's sad how only a couple of people responded.

Antares
06-30-2007, 12:58 PM
Favorite authors: Gabriel García Márquez and Alexandre Dumas, father. Books, I have a lot of favorites: Lolita, 100 Años de Soledad, Los Intereses Creados, The Divine Comedy, and so on.

unspun
06-30-2007, 01:55 PM
It's sad how only a couple of people responded.

yet, you didn't even bother to give your own example

Eris
06-30-2007, 02:10 PM
The SubGenius books:

The Book of the SubGenius
Revelation X : The "Bob" Apocryphon - Hidden Teachings and Deuterocanonical Texts of J. R. "Bob" Dobbs
The SubGenius Psychlopaedia of Slack: The Bobliographon

Guaranteed to drive you crazy. AND I MEAN CRAAAAZZZZY!!! Like me.

keezy.
06-30-2007, 10:56 PM
I don't have any specific author that i like, but my favorite books are:
Cut
The New Prophecy: Warriors (series)
Divide
The Sisters Grimm (series)

Exquiro
06-30-2007, 11:00 PM
My current obsession would be The Preistess of the White... But I can't imagine you finding it quite as exciting as I did. The examples you gave didn't seem to really fit in the same catagory.

mabudachi_trio
06-30-2007, 11:30 PM
I'm also a Stephen King fan, I liked Four past Midnight.

Ari_86
06-30-2007, 11:44 PM
1. The Book Without Words
2. Love Hina
3. Midnight for Charlie Bone
Only one is an anime, the rest are jsut really good books.

Zycolette
07-01-2007, 12:05 AM
>> I dunno.... I would say that you read "Anne Frank, the Diary of a Young Girl" By Anne Frank herself. If you liked it go ahead and read "Night" by Ellie Wiesel. Other than that.

ny books by Eoin Colfer, they're all good (Fantasy and some are mystery.)

Future_Defense
07-01-2007, 01:23 AM
I just finished the 'wheel of time' books, and I enjoyed them. Well, books 1-5, and 11 anyway. The others were a little slow. There may be a few too many plots for the author to tie up, if he's only going to write one more.

Famahama
07-01-2007, 01:50 AM
Everest by Gordon Korman.
One of the most interesting books ive read so far. Gotta find the second and third continuation XXXD

Tempest Wind
07-01-2007, 01:59 AM
Christopher Paolini, who wrote Eragon(The movie and game butchered the book), and Eldest. Pretty good fantasy book.

shikamaruluv13
07-01-2007, 02:04 AM
My fave book of all time is:Heart Beat but I have no idea who wrote

Wio
07-01-2007, 02:42 AM
I've read some books and enjoyed them, but over all I can easily entertain myself in other ways. I like interactive entertainment much more than passive. Hence I don't want TV too much.

No, do not suggest that I read 2nd person books. They are simply too lame.

氷の動物
07-01-2007, 02:44 AM
My favorite author is John Steinbeck... I love The Grapes of Wrath and East of Eden. Both are amazing novels with some of the most vivid characters I've encountered in any novel.

Also I love Battle Royale by Koushun Takami the novel is far deeper then the movie (the movie actually kinda disappointed me because I read the novel first), and it is one of those books that you have a very different outlook on everything once you finally reach the end of it.

eown07
07-01-2007, 08:15 AM
I really enjoyed reading The Rule of Four. It's one of my favourites. But my number one choice is Pride and Prejudice and all other books that has Mr. Darcy in it. Hehehe... like Darcy's Story, and Me and Mr. Darcy. I just Love Mr. Darcy. He's so hot. n_n

Neal Raven
07-01-2007, 09:17 AM
i like fantasy and horror, as long as its got some action nad adventure

i also read a lot of star wars books but im just a star wars freak

Coeur Triste
07-01-2007, 03:27 PM
Ahaha... Of Mice and Men wasn't really a bad book. I didn't like the way it was written, but I did like the plot. It was so depressing. =[

Some of my favorite authors are:

Dan Brown [author of: The DaVinci Code and Angels&Demons]
Kate Cary [author of: Bloodline]
Philip Pullman [author of: The His Dark Materials trilogy which contains: The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife, and The Amber Spyglass]
Richard Laymon [author of: The Traveling Vampire Show]

Those are all exceptional books in my opinion.

Fabala
07-01-2007, 06:34 PM
Ah, too too many... For writing, Gregory Maguire. For characters, Anne Tyler (just not her endings ;p)

However lately I've been rereading and getting re-hooked on "Atonement" by Ian McEwan. Possibly the most beautifully written book I've ever read. Elements of a love story, yes, but the deeper story is about a girl trying to atone for the mistake she made years ago that resulted in ripping apart the lives of those around her.

~Mithrosent~
07-01-2007, 07:29 PM
Hmm... Sabrial. And there are to other books to it. I adored the series. Garth Nix Is a good author in my opinion. Tamara pierce too. For fantasy. Hmm. Ink Heart, Ink Spell. I dunno. what else. Sorry. I mainly Read poetry. Not fantasy mystery etc. :p but what I said Were really good in my opinion...
~Gen~

Saiyan Destroyer
07-01-2007, 09:05 PM
IT by Stephen King
Different Seasons by Stephen King (4 books, Hope Springs Eternal (Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption), Summer of Curruption (Apt Pupil), Fall from Innocence (Stand By Me), A Winter's Tale))
Jurrassic Park by Stephen King
Salemn's Lot by Stephen King
Tyrannosaur Canyon by Douglas Preston
Have A Nice Day: Tales of Blood and Sweat Socks by Mick Foley
Foely Is Good: And the Real World Is Faker Than Wrestling by Mick Foley
The Nature Boy by Ric Flair
Beowulf by ummm I forgot the authors name, it was written THOUSANDS of years ago after all
Goosebumps by R.L. Stien
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by JK Rowlings (ONLY one I thought was good)
The Green Mile parts I-VI by Stephen King
Skeleton Crew by Stephen King

That's all I can think up. I can KINDA say I'm a Stephen King fan. Freaking LOVE Stephen King, if there's one thing I HEAVILY suggest getting that would be Different Seasons. It has the movies that I mentioned above in their book form, all of which are EXCELLENT reads. I've seen Shawshank Redemption outside that being IMO the greatest movie ever (next to Forest Gump in a VERY close 2nd) it has Stand By Me which is one of the best growing up movies I've ever seen/read. I haven't seen Apt Pupil, and A Winter's Tale DOES NOT have a movie yet, it's about a woman who is COMPLETELY unable to concieve a child, I won't give more about it. TOO GOOD.)

Kuga
07-01-2007, 09:43 PM
Authors I like..
R.L. Stine (I used to read Fear Street and Goosebumps all the time when I was a kid.)
Ameila Atwater-Rhodes
Stephen King

Favorite books..
"Of Mice and Men" - made me cry at some parts. :[
"Night" (by Elie Wiesel)... probably the only book about the most tragic historical event that I ever liked.
"In the Forests of the Night" (Ameila Atwater-Rhodes) - Very intriguing.

Fabala
07-02-2007, 06:50 PM
Jurrassic Park by Stephen King

Michael Crichton actually ^^ Just like to see credit go where it is due. That, and I guess I don't care much for Stephen King. Not his recent works anyway...he needs the heavier hand in editing that he received pre-fame.

CrimsonMoon
07-02-2007, 07:31 PM
Let me see. Right now, I'm reading Last Seen Alive by Carlene Thompson. It's good but not my fav. My fav is definitely Eoin Colfer with Artemis Fowl. I'm going to read it until the series ends. Others include R.L Stine, Meg Cabot, Sophie Kinsella and other minor ones that I can't seem to remember, haha. I love books, I even read dictionaries though I forgot most words, hoho.

ihartemoguys
07-03-2007, 06:27 PM
The keys to the kingdom by Garth Nix.
I luv that book!
then i have all these other books but that one is my absolute favorite!:D

Chris-san
07-03-2007, 06:37 PM
My favorite books are, in no particular order:

The Legend of Drizzt by R.A. Salvatore (about 30 books long)
House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski
Magic the Gathering's 'Onslaught' cycle by J. Robert King

Hitsugaya389
07-03-2007, 07:49 PM
Twilight
New Moon
- both by Stephanie Meyer

ben01
07-03-2007, 08:51 PM
all I know about book is to tear them into pieces.. :banghead: :banghead:

Usagi18
07-04-2007, 01:23 AM
Simon R Green, Trudi Canavan, Juliet Marlineer. Wonderful authors.

Click here
07-04-2007, 02:50 AM
akira toriyama

NiesaxShiori
07-04-2007, 07:12 AM
j.k rowling

Anna-san
07-04-2007, 07:43 AM
Michael Crichton and Roald Dahl are my all time favourite author =] Books that I like by Michael Crichton are State of Fear, Jurassic Park, Congo, Prey, Rising Sun and Sphere.
Other favourites are Dean Koontz's book[I forgot the title] and Chris Manby's Running away from Richard.

Faceless111
07-04-2007, 07:54 AM
Christopher Moore, George Carlin, and I've been reading a Star Wars series (Legacy of the Force) written by three different authors: Aaron Allston, Karen Traviss, and Troy Denning. Those three are good, but Karen Traviss sometimes tries to get too detailed and there are some sections of her novel that are really boring. Though she does portray Boba Fett really good.