PDA

View Full Version : few questions about Luffy's gear moves

kopeter7
06-20-2007, 09:24 PM
hi, i recently just started watching one piece again.
can any of you nice people tell me where luffy got the powers of gears?

its so cool, but im kind of confused as to how he learned those new moves...

ty!:)

╬Karami Mew~Meow
06-20-2007, 09:41 PM
powers of gears? Do you mean his stretchable moves? or there's a new one?

kopeter7
06-20-2007, 09:46 PM
im talking about when he's trying to get nico robin back, he fights Lucci and he uses "2nd gear" and becomes more powerful.

just wondering where he got the ability...skipped maybe...50 episodes....couldn't find them anywhere so i was wondering if u guys could help. xDD

Chris-san
06-21-2007, 07:34 AM
Gear Second

Right before he faces off with Blueno of the CP9, Luffy tells him something to this effect:

"Ever since the beginning of our journey, I've watched my nakama grow stronger and stronger, but in retrospect, I haven't really improved much any. After Aokiji beat me, I knew I had to find a way to improve myself so I can beat you guys and protect my nakama."

He then pumps his legs, and since they're made of rubber, they build up excess air which travels to his heart, which drastically boosts his adrenaline and namely speed. While he's in this mode he can hardly be seen due to the power-up when he moves, his skin turns a red hue, and the sweat evaporates from his body to make it look like steam. All in all, it's his best move.

Gear Third

Luffy uses a new form of Gomu Gomu no Bazooka against Blueno, the Gomu Gomu no Jet Bazooka, which is pretty much a super-speed version of the original move that hits much harder than the original. It initially appears as though Blueno won't go down, so Luffy starts to initiate Gear Third, but stops himself after he realizes that there's no way in Hell Blueno is getting back up from the Jet Bazooka.

Later, when storming Enies Lobby, Luffy uses Gear Third off-screen to smash a door, and later uses it when fighting Lucci fully on-screen. In this form, Luffy bites his finger and blows air into his bones, causing them to get bigger in size. It's much different than Gomu Gomu no Fuusen, where he turns himself into a balloon, as the specified bone actually gains the strength of a Giant's.

It is extremely slow, but much more powerful to his already Gear Second. However, after use, whereas Gear Second only requires Luffy to eat a large chunk of meat to gain his strength back, Luffy reverts to a child-like state for roughly the same amount of time spent in Gear Third, and then changes back.

If your question was 'when did Luffy come up with the Gears,' nobody knows really, but since he made that big speech to Blueno, it can be implied that he came up with both Gears Second and Third right after he was beaten by Aokiji, and that Gear First is his normal state. However, Luffy actually inventing the Gears themselves is never shown on-screen.

Er...my my wall-o-text helps...