PDA

View Full Version : falling in love with someone you have never met face to face..

8-destiny-8
06-12-2007, 03:50 PM
is it possible?

i mean, could you fall in love with a person where the only means of communication you have with each other is typing up messages in e-mails, texts, instant messaging, letters...

with no physical contact at all due to certain circumstances (ie distance)

and only knowing what the person is like based on the words they say to you... which could be easily edited out and thought through...

could you fall in love with someone where your only interaction is talking?

what do you think?

Eris
06-12-2007, 03:51 PM
I don't see why not. The internet is just as good a carrier of sentimental conspiracy humbug nonsense as physical contact.

Sagat
06-12-2007, 03:55 PM
I think it's possible actually .. In one sense it lets you get the know the person without physical discriminations of any sort .. however it only goes so far. You don't know what it's like to live or be around that person, and physically you may be in for disappointment - well also a nice surprise but either way.

black26
06-12-2007, 04:09 PM
I think it's possible. There's a lot of people fall in love without seeing their faces. I heard a lot of that kind of stories

Mangekyo John
06-12-2007, 04:19 PM
Hmm ...
Well, I don't think its very likely.
I mean yes, you see somebody on MySpace or something and you think there cute or whatever ... that dosen't mean you've fallen in love with them, does it?

I think you must talk to that person face to face and get to know the real them. - But then again, thats just me.

Guza
06-12-2007, 04:23 PM
ha to fall in love youve got to love both the inside and the outside of the person, its ultimatly up to the person whos falling for em

Luzifer
06-12-2007, 05:23 PM
*warning pontification oncoming*

Depends I suppose. The human caprice i believe deigns often times to forge in faceless stimuli a form which perhaps is not tied to reality but rather forms of the aspirations the person has to whom they are in relation. The human mind creates a form and soul and takes all these interconnect strings of spiritual ideas and through such threads of our own making erect a construct that is its own being. So i must pose the question... if you fall in love with your image of their form and soul but only the soul is true... did you fall in love at all? And if the form were false and the soul still true... would still that love survive or perhaps scuttle itself on forgotten shores to die?

*end of pontification: you may carry on with your (most likely) meaningless lives*

basically what I'm saying is that if when you talk to someone you create in your mind their face as you think it would be, whether you realize it or not. If you like that face and the soul that is attached but the face is just a construct... are you in love with them? And would love survive if that face were to be shown false through a picture or a meeting?

but ultimately I believe that if you are actually in love (which i believe few people ever are though they may claim to be) it really does not matter to too great an extent what the person looks like. Because base and maggoty biolgoical needs are supercede and infact supplanted by a spiritual (whether you believe in spiritual as its own plane of human existance or merely an introverted perception of the plane of existance in which our fleshy husks dwell) connection. Lust is its own creature and sex its own demon, they are something for the young and the early times in a relationship. They are merely the machinations of the body to recreate its form and spread its being. But the true meaning behind a relationship should not be defined by that and since appearance is merely an extension of that appearance should not influence a true love relationship. This spiritual yearning is perhaps the thread that tugs us most through our lives though its tug is perhaps lost in the prittle prattle of sex and children and all such trivial pursuits. So if you see the form and what you truely feel is a spiritual connection, a fushion of two entities into some greater whole then its possible no matter the mode. However, I seriously doubt it. Its probably lust in disguise.

GaiSensei
06-12-2007, 05:33 PM
In my opinion, it's possible, but it may be considered nonsensical

Sure, friends on the internet are nice and all, but when it comes to serious relationships, it's hard to be honest with each other when all you have is words on a screen and the other person's intentions are not obvious.

Facial gestures, body language, and tone of voice are all different ways of communicating that are necessary, but not available in an Internet relationship.

I'm no expert or anything, but that's what I think. </geek> xD

unspun
06-12-2007, 06:19 PM
emailing someone is the same as having a pen pal, so yeah I don't see why not, but I do think that it is a rare occasion as to when it's real love, and not infatuation, or lust.

Sobriquet
06-12-2007, 06:28 PM
I believe it's possible. Some people on the internet seem perfect. However, if you get a chance to see them in real life, it would not be what you've always expected.

Acnologia
06-12-2007, 08:19 PM
Yes, but you cant tell if its a devoted relationship or not =/

███
06-12-2007, 08:20 PM
Yep you can fall in love with them until you realise one day that they were an overweight 60-year-old paedophile.

Chi_Uya
06-12-2007, 10:11 PM
I THiNk it's PossiBle...WhY Not??

The Wing Man
06-13-2007, 12:02 AM
Yah it could happen, that person would be so awesome to you that you are in love and you haven't seen them but Idk if it happens alot.

Petrol Gas
06-13-2007, 12:09 AM
I think that It would only be possible if both of the people were completely honest. Without that I think that it would eventually fall apart.

Red Phantoms
06-13-2007, 02:02 AM
depend on situation
you know we can show a dfferent side of our personality by giveing a sweet word. for nobody know how we relly act...
but still such an coinssident is often happen like my teacher. but it sure will happen if you lucky enough

dreamStar
06-13-2007, 03:57 AM
Isn't love SUPPOSED to be totally unpredictable and completely irrational? Besides, anythings possible. The world's just crazy enough for it to happen.

riyo himura
06-13-2007, 04:12 AM
it is possible but eventually it wouldnt work out. wateva u noe its just superficial and u couldnt tell whether it is true of wat the person says.

zyronet
06-13-2007, 04:12 AM
It is possible, but don't get too excited. Take it easy besides you dont know the person personally. Disappointment might be the end of that love road you are driving on.
And loving the person with just talking, and do not see them actually?? Hmm.. maybe those blind couples can be a good example. [you think..?] n_n

izzy14backstabber
06-13-2007, 10:50 AM
possible, of course.. but it usually didn't last long...

Ranshiin
06-13-2007, 11:02 AM
is it possible?

i mean, could you fall in love with a person where the only means of communication you have with each other is typing up messages in e-mails, texts, instant messaging, letters...

with no physical contact at all due to certain circumstances (ie distance)

and only knowing what the person is like based on the words they say to you... which could be easily edited out and thought through...

could you fall in love with someone where your only interaction is talking?

what do you think?Yes, it is possible, yes, I have been there, and yes, it ruined my life when they'd finished with me.

And yes, don't do it.

Enough said.

.Lovebeat
06-13-2007, 11:04 AM
Sigh.
Yes you can, but I guess it depends on the person. I fell in love with someone I've never met and he's right here in my room just now.

Ichiro Matsuchani
06-13-2007, 11:14 AM
Entirely impossible. Yet people can make as many claims to it happening as they want, since the meaning of love is so distorted now. =/

UrusaiSevera
06-13-2007, 11:33 AM
probably..... and then find out everything he told you is a lie... he is not a model, he is overweight and nooo he does not have a porsche.... >>

Trinity Muse
06-13-2007, 02:10 PM
Not exactly love. But more of huge sympathy and respect, in my opinion. That's how I like to look at it. You can't love someone genuinely without physically contacting it, seing his/her face, hearing his/her voice. O_o My guess is online dating is based upon wishes of attention you have the lack of offline. That's all.

lafiel
06-13-2007, 02:18 PM
Yes I believe you can. Love isnt just physical even though most people would beg to differ <_<

Buruku
06-13-2007, 02:25 PM
Is it the physical part of the relationship that makes you fall in love with someone?

Hint: no.

Maledictis Voca
06-13-2007, 03:10 PM
That's how I met my current boyfriend. Only we migrated from the internet, to the phone. xD

Sometimes, not being able to physically see your lover, makes you look at personality before looks, which can help.

Ayame_Sohma
06-13-2007, 03:17 PM
emailing someone is the same as having a pen pal, so yeah I don't see why not, but I do think that it is a rare occasion as to when it's real love, and not infatuation, or lust.

I would agree with unspun on this :D

jewel2sparkle
06-14-2007, 10:30 PM
Well, sure. I'm in love with Adam Levine and I have never even contacted him.

Kagura_Sohma
06-14-2007, 11:02 PM
Well sure, i don't see why not. I am in love with someone right now. I met him here. And i really do love him. I've never seen him. We live in different states. So yeah, it is possible.

Princess Cupcake
06-14-2007, 11:15 PM
You might be able to fall in love with what you know about that person from said e-mails, IMs, and texts. Possibly their personality. But you wont be able to claim you like their scent, or touch for certain.

Prince Sapphire
06-14-2007, 11:48 PM
Very possible, it happens to me every time I go online.

yamichik
07-05-2007, 03:50 PM
I think it's possible, but I really don't understand it. I met a really sweet guy online who became my friend, and after a while, even though we're thousands of miles apart, he claimed he was in love with me even though he's never met me or anything. I don't really understand how he can be in love over the internet, but he says he just is somehow. I don't get it honestly.

Ari_86
07-05-2007, 03:53 PM
I already have fell in love with somone by only being on the internet, we get on webcam and show eachother ourselves. Its nice but i do wish to see him someday soon. I cry mostly because i cant see him in person. I cried while i was on cam and he was really sad, so i try not to cry while hes watching me anymore.

Hitsugaya389
07-05-2007, 04:41 PM
well, my friend met her bf online and they are gonna get married. (she's like 20-something)
I don't really belive in it but as long as ur happy...

winry039
07-05-2007, 05:04 PM
yes i believe its possible to fall in love with someone who you have not seen

Fabala
07-05-2007, 07:09 PM
Been there, done that, married to him.

The most important thing to keep in mind is that you're going to have to meet face-to-face eventually for the relationship to get anywhere. And also that, yes, it is entirely possible that the attraction may not be there in person. Be prepared for that happening.

Antares
07-05-2007, 09:12 PM
It can happen, but I agree with Fabala, you'll need to meet face to face someday and in the same way you accepted that person for their feelings and way of thinking, you'll need to accept them for what they look like and how they behave.

Guza
07-05-2007, 09:25 PM
oh ya, i forgot about people getting married on wow, they fell in love online met up in real life got married and even married in the game

Lunafreya Fleuret
07-05-2007, 09:33 PM
Uhm. I suppose you could on certain circumstances. o.0 Not that I ever tried or did that.

keezy.
07-06-2007, 12:23 AM
well if u do fall in love w/ someone over the internet and u think it's true love u should at least get a pic or talk on the phone. get a webcam.
or try to meet somewhere

Wio
07-06-2007, 12:32 AM
I think it's possible, but I really don't understand it. I met a really sweet guy online who became my friend, and after a while, even though we're thousands of miles apart, he claimed he was in love with me even though he's never met me or anything. I don't really understand how he can be in love over the internet, but he says he just is somehow. I don't get it honestly.
I think you probably wouldn't understand even if he physically was your friend.

Real love? You mean love you have for family and friends? The love between people who marry is simply a mix of infatuation and the love previously described.

ben01
07-06-2007, 12:48 AM
yes its possible specially in text messaging.. when you two exchanging sweet words.. you'll be able to fall in love without meeting each other..

Interpreter
07-06-2007, 04:25 AM
Perhaps, since I don't like the real world much anyway. Not knowing how someone look like, just through sharing words and thoughts might can move the heart, but in the real world, when that same things is added with everything else, it's harder.

Insurgo
07-06-2007, 06:05 AM
Possible, I fell in love with girls like that through the computer though I regret since I've been cheated and lied on. Turning me cold and bitter, then I dated in the real world, but I found those girls didn't meet my interest are as I expected. Yes, you can fall in love yet it's a risk. Long Distance. Possibility of never meeting and cheating and what not. Not only that. Someone might like you in real life, yet you might not know what to do if you want to choose. I speak from experience.

Riina-chan
07-06-2007, 12:17 PM
I think it's possible.... It kinda happened to me.... XD Or I can't say is it really 100% love but still.... I fell in love with the personality.... XD

Prince Darien
07-06-2007, 01:40 PM
I think you could start a relationship like that, but I think to make it a healthy, loving relationship physically meeting the person would be a must.

I just find it easier to trust and love somebody if I could see them. The internet yo never know what you can get.

Dunno. I say it is possible, but I would be hesitant to call it love.

Mitchy Slick
07-06-2007, 06:38 PM
*removed*

Tetsanosuke
07-06-2007, 07:28 PM
I fell in love with the one I'm with now over AF chat, and that was a crazy feeling. It was as if I was drawn to her, not just by her typing which was good like many other people, but it's quite a mystery how I was really drawn into her.

I admitted my feeling for her the same night I met and talked with her, RPed with her and such and since she gave me a chance we are hooked. I talk to her on the phone now (though she's been grounded from it for a while now, long story), I know about her family life, I've talked to her sister and her parents and when she sent me a picture of her through the mail that first time it only hit me harder. She was the right woman for me, and ever since we've always kept in touch, always learning about what we both view things by and so on.

So I say it's entirely possible, Because I'd think if you were to pursuit a relationship and really feel something then wouldn't it eventually lead to the phone and then meeting when everything is assured?

As Sagat said earlier, it lets you see someone beyond what they look like.

In fact I'm going to send a video about my life here at my house to her so her family knows who I am fully, and such is the way to ensure that all is secure. (Of course families worry about E-relationships)

yamichik
07-06-2007, 07:37 PM
"I think you probably wouldn't understand even if he physically was your friend."

Naw dude, I think I would. You see I have been in love before. Unfortunately that guy passed away, but I mean this internet guy was already saying he loved me after chatting with me only twice.:<_<: It's not like I was saying I'm immune to love, I just don't get how he sees one picture and chats twice and suddenly ready to get married, LoL. :rolleyes:

Mitchy Slick
07-06-2007, 07:41 PM
I fell in love with the one I'm with now over AF chat, and that was a crazy feeling. It was as if I was drawn to her, not just by her typing which was good like many other people, but it's quite a mystery how I was really drawn into her.

I admitted my feeling for her the same night I met and talked with her, RPed with her and such and since she gave me a chance we are hooked. I talk to her on the phone now (though she's been grounded from it for a while now, long story), I know about her family life, I've talked to her sister and her parents and when she sent me a picture of her through the mail that first time it only hit me harder. She was the right woman for me, and ever since we've always kept in touch, always learning about what we both view things by and so on.

So I say it's entirely possible, Because I'd think if you were to pursuit a relationship and really feel something then wouldn't it eventually lead to the phone and then meeting when everything is assured?

As Sagat said earlier, it lets you see someone beyond what they look like.

In fact I'm going to send a video about my life here at my house to her so her family knows who I am fully, and such is the way to ensure that all is secure. (Of course families worry about E-relationships)
smhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
you weird boy

CrimsonMoon
07-06-2007, 07:55 PM
Hm, why not? I don't see anything wrong from falling in love with someone on internet. You get that a lot from chatting, online dating, emails. And it's not anything new.

Tsuna Kadiri
07-07-2007, 09:35 AM
Unfortunately that guy passed away, but I mean this internet guy was already saying he loved me after chatting with me only twice.:<_<: It's not like I was saying I'm immune to love, I just don't get how he sees one picture and chats twice and suddenly ready to get married, LoL. :rolleyes:
I've had that happen before. I spoke to a guy on MSN about 3 times, then all of a sudden he starts telling me he's madly in love with me and he can't imagine being with anyone else and wanted me to move out to whatever remote area he lived in (I forget exactly where he lived, this was a long time ago). I never spoke to him again, I was very weirded out.

I guess it's possible for someone to fall in love with another person they've met on the internet. But ever since the above happened, I've been really skeptical about it. There've been a few other instances where online friends have told me they loved me, but even if I thought they were somewhat genuine about it, it's almost impossible for me to forget that crazy MSN guy.

Click here
07-07-2007, 10:20 AM
of course it's possible lol, you can tell people's personality from the internet

Faceless111
07-07-2007, 11:25 AM
of course it's possible lol, you can tell people's personality from the internetYeah, sure. Go ahead and try online dating. When you decide to meet in person, try to overlook the fact that it's a thirty-year-old, fat, bald guy.

WIXIE
07-07-2007, 12:08 PM
It isn't possible to feel like that because we think that person is suitable for us. But, just don't get too far, because some of them are just playing around.

*~Lily_Gemini~*
07-07-2007, 12:29 PM
its possible, take me and my bf for example. we've been together 4 almost 5 months, talking thro email, and on the phone. hes in florida, im in michigan. we plan to meet one day and we love each other so much!

Faceless111
07-07-2007, 01:13 PM
its possible, take me and my bf for example. we've been together 4 almost 5 months, talking thro email, and on the phone. hes in florida, im in michigan. we plan to meet one day and we love each other so much!Bah! This is what inspired Strangeland.

*~Lily_Gemini~*
07-07-2007, 01:19 PM
strangeland is cool!

Faceless111
07-07-2007, 01:28 PM
strangeland is cool!You obviously missed what I was trying to tell you. And Strangeland was a warning message more than a movie.

*~Lily_Gemini~*
07-07-2007, 01:38 PM
whatever. if you must say this is strange. well then Welcome To The Strange

Faceless111
07-07-2007, 01:47 PM
whatever. if you must say this is strange. well then Welcome To The StrangeWhat are you talking about?! I'm not saying this is strange. Strangeland was a movie with the guy from Twisted Sister as a killer who got his victims from the internet. No, this isn't strange. It's stupid. Falling in love is hard enough, falling in love over the internet is possible only to the gullible.

*~Lily_Gemini~*
07-07-2007, 01:50 PM
im not even talking about that movie. god im probobly gunna get in trouble for spamming now. thanks alot.

gothic tears
07-07-2007, 01:51 PM
I say yes, of course.
I went out for someone on here for 6 years and we finally met eachother in person one day....but that's a different story.
I've gone out with about 4 people online, and most of them were'nt the best relationships...but I just pick crappy people to go out with sometimes XD
But from my experiences, trust is the hardest thing with an online relationship and knowing that you'll have to wait till further on in your life to finally meet that person and have no physical comfort from them is extremely hard. But I say it's worth it, just don't lose contact with reality either and end up chaining yourself to the computer.

*~Lily_Gemini~*
07-07-2007, 02:11 PM
someone finnally agrees! yes!!!!!!!!

8-destiny-8
07-09-2007, 06:53 AM
well, the reason why i don't really believe in it too much is because the person one claims to be in love with may just be a disguise of who that person really is.. i mean, sure you get to know the person's personality through what he/she says, but what about the things that he/she does? you don't really know because in a relationship like this only words can be exchanged and not actions... i mean, i think it's better to get to know the person through watching him/her deal with situations and also how he/she treats other people, and not just you, because then you'd see a whole spectrum of traits that you wouldn't really see through a computer screen/mobile phone.. that person may only be treating you nicely because it's easier to be nice on the internet, because that would only take typing up words, but in real life that person may not be as nice as you think, because he/she would actually have to put in a bit more effort to do that, and that may not be a pleasant idea to him/her...

well, there's loads more other stuff to consider, but this post is getting too long ;)

Ookie
07-09-2007, 07:01 AM
Personally I do think it's possible, as Sagat said it's just another way of communicating. The real problem is the distance, it's sometimes too painfull to even be worth it and hurts both sides, I do not really think that 'love' is the proper word for it tho, you cannot really love them without any physical contact.

Click here
07-09-2007, 02:49 PM
It's not love people!

Miss Tsukkii
07-09-2007, 04:14 PM
It could be possible...in a way. But even if you DO love him/her, maybe the person you really love doesn't really exist. A lot of people lie about their life on the internet, it's really easy. Well if it was me I'd make sure to know the person in real life before "falling in love" with him/her.

Demon-grl
07-09-2007, 05:08 PM
i dont know it could happen u know......it happened to my friends mom.....'-_-
it was wierd*remembers the time...shivers at the rememberence of it*it almost happened to my mom...but still it could happen when u least expect it....=-)

Raindrops_on_Roses
07-09-2007, 08:29 PM
yea...my dad started talkin to this lady from Hong Kong and they got married and they've been happily married for 3 yrs.

Rune
07-10-2007, 02:27 AM
I believe it's possible, but unlikely. :closedeye

Batman2o4
07-10-2007, 04:09 AM
I cant say it would be justified, well thought-out love.
But when is love ever either of those?
Youd be sweet-talked without even seeing the face of who's doin it, I guess really the least shallow way to go.
I cant see myself falling for someone over the web, though.

FierceFeli.
07-10-2007, 05:05 AM
I understand if some people can keep net realtions alive - GOOD FOR THEM.

Myself, I think at this age (16) it would be for me who lives in sweden and I ahev parents with normal jobs that makes normal money. to have a crush cross the earth, would just be awkward. maybe Id be in love, but with the net you never really know who youre chatting with, and it would be 1/2 impossible to ever meet. THOUGH. because some people over the net usues it for pedo-stuff, not all people are. Those few people who are themselves over the internet, congrats. youre condifent enough with your personality and wont have to be someone else.

Ive been tricked a hell a lot of times by people clamining to be themselves in picture, when they obiviously are not. So be careful Folks!

<3

Demon_boy_92
07-10-2007, 07:38 AM
well my friend (who's a girl) has a crush on a boy on this website (she's out of her league, lol) ummm.. i think i remember his name... yeah i do...
_inuyasha_ <-- i think... pleez don't tell her i said anythign lol she'll kill me.

Elphaba
07-11-2007, 04:56 PM
yes but i will never tell you who get to know me better and maybe i will tell you.

Aki no iko
07-13-2007, 01:58 AM
This is a big issue with the chatroom and stuff. Falling in love is rather difficult to avoid just looking at the words that turn you on. Like character and etc. But I myself think it's possible to fall/be in love with someone you've never met. Although, the relationship may end in a rather hurtful way. Some people require physical contact such as hugging, kissing, holding hands, etc. It's somewhat...a human need that everyone has to have.
You may think you're deeply in love and nothing will go wrong in a long distance relationship, but all will end soon. Not to be a negative person, but questions will start to rise from the depths of your head. Questions such as, "What if he's/she's cheating on me?" "What if he's/she's a criminal and does illegal and wrong things?" and so forth.
You could never really know just by words. Anyone can tell you they're hot, nice, whatever it may be, but it takes actions to prove it. For all you know, you could be talking to an old pedophile. Needless to say, it's really up to the people themselves that are probably in this sort of situation. I mean if you have use of webcam, phone, internet, and so on, then it's probably possible to hold that sort of a relationship. But it's really up to the person. Ask yourself how long you could last without being embraced or touched by your lover?
I suggest keeping as much contact as possible if you decide to be involved in such a relationship. And don't get too attached unless you're positive that you both will be able to meet each other in the mere future. Because it could get rough. I've tried to prove that long distance relationships can and will work, but unfortunately, I failed and no longer believe in them. But the real question is, "Do you believe in them"?

tears of sorrow
07-13-2007, 02:05 AM
I don't believe in such thing as love long relationships. It's turn. you can never really know who they are. Be careful those who do fall in love.