PDA

View Full Version : Kanji Question

ObsidianJoy
06-07-2007, 12:49 AM
I have a question about the meaning of some kanji. Right now the resource that I'm using has meanings like this BU/FUN/BUN/wa(keru),wa(kareru),wa(karu). And I was wondering if I needed to remember all the kun readings or just 'wa'. Thanks in advance :)

tetekmakhang
06-07-2007, 06:06 AM
u can try. but i doubt you'll succeed lol. u can prob memorise all the possible readings for your first 200,300 kanji but after that it becomes impossible. i recommend u just memorise words that you see in sentences. because its easier to remember it that way coz u actually see how it's used and how the reading changes depending on the characters that come before or after it

CoolShades
06-07-2007, 01:58 PM
Ah...this kanji 「分」, right? Well, since the parts in parentheses are in hiragana, I guess you don't have to...but, it does help. And make sure to memorize all the meanings, because they can be different. For example "wakaru" means "to understand", but "wakeru" means "to divide". Good luck on your kanji studies!

ObsidianJoy
06-09-2007, 11:06 PM
Thanks for the help, guys :D My learning process is still a little rough but it'll smooth out as I learn more.

MistressPookyChan
06-10-2007, 05:17 AM
Most kanji has some sort of a funny reading that isn't used often. So, try to remember the main readings. I would do this by also studying the words that the kanji is in. Unless you are taking the kanji test, studying all the readings without studying the vocab will be pointless.