PDA

View Full Version : How's pollution affecting you

Eris
06-03-2007, 05:13 PM
Do you live near any place that's been affected by pollution, and how is it affecting your part of the world?

Personally, I live near the Baltic sea; which has been hit pretty hard. Water is no longer clear in the summer due to excessive algae blooming, this also makes bathing in the water unhealthy, and the poisons in the water makes fish dangerous to eat in larger quantities (especially if you're pregnant). Also, a large portion of the sea has become a dead zone, where no fish or plants can live.

So, how about you? You've been affected? Also, don't let this turn into a heated discussion about Global Warming, lest Bean Bandit will descend from the skies in his chariot and shoot thunder and lightning from his hammer closethreadnir.

UrusaiSevera
06-03-2007, 05:35 PM
I don't often see the effects of pollution directly, but in the summer Recreative swimming lakes get infested with bacteria, due to algae blooming..soo you cant swim in them...
also due to the fact that I live near to the airport, subsequently low overhead flying airplanes, seeing wildlife is a rare thing... *not exactly pollution, I know...*

I guess we dont have a lot to complain about....

Shotel
06-03-2007, 05:37 PM
I guess I have air pollution here.
I don't know if it's affecting me. It probalbly is but....

aishiteru333
06-03-2007, 05:41 PM
Dirt cloud. Really annoys me. And all the pollution makes my eyes water! T_T

Eris
06-03-2007, 05:42 PM
Dirt cloud. Really annoys me. And all the pollution makes my eyes water! T_T

Dirt cloud? I'm unfamiliar with the term, do you refer to smog?

aishiteru333
06-03-2007, 05:48 PM
Well here it's called a dirt cloud. Since we live near the desert the cars make the dirt go up, therefore, why it is called a dirt cloud.

Aleyna
06-03-2007, 06:06 PM
im going to say that i hate being around mainstream, side stream smoke, or 2nd hand smoke
sorry if your a smoker...but i think smoke smells nasty as hell

aishiteru333
06-03-2007, 06:09 PM
im going to say that i hate being around mainstream, side stream smoke, or 2nd hand smoke

i agree. its all so polluting!:banghead:save the earth!!!:D

Antares
06-03-2007, 06:10 PM
There's a river near where I live that it ends on the sea and it's very polluted thanks to the rum factory (right way to say it? beats me...) near there. The river is full of algae blooming and different bacterias. Personally, I've never seen the river clear and if you fall in it, you'll get gangrene for sure.

aishiteru333
06-03-2007, 06:12 PM
Wouldn't wanna fall there!!!

ABsasuke14
06-03-2007, 06:40 PM
Pollution sucks!

bttr
06-03-2007, 06:54 PM
Theres cars everywhere were I live *Sigh*I hate cars so much.

unspun
06-03-2007, 06:57 PM
When you're about 45 minutes outside the big city (take your pick, I've seen it at every major metropolitan city I've visited in the past 10 years) there's a thick brownish-grey blanket of smog hovering around the city like a forcefield. It's disgusting. When you get close enough, you don't see it anymore, and then I guess you don't pay any attention. Also, the water, we have Lake Michigan, and it's no longer safe to swim in (most of the time) but I wouldn't swim in it anyways, I might come out with a third arm. Usually once a year we're on a boil order (meaning we have to boil the harmful things out of our water before we can drink it or use it to cook with)

human beings are so filthy. Every day my kid comes home from school, she picks up trash. In Wisconsin it's illegal NOT to recycle. I think they should make that go into effect everywhere, at least it would help.

I subscribe to Popular Science magazine, and they made a car that uses garbage as a fuel source.

Problem is it's 8million dollars.

Sagat
06-03-2007, 07:04 PM
Not affecting me at all. Pollution is the source of my terrible power. The more pollution there is, the stronger I get. Halifax harbour is a lovely slime green and not swimmable, Wasaga beach once closed area 5 because of some garbage or something that washed up, even Petawawa the "home of nature" is losing the battle as Ottawa river becomes polluted and blackbear beach slowly erodes. It brings a toxic tear to my eye.

Koshiro
06-03-2007, 07:13 PM
I can honestly say that pollution affects me very little where I live. Mainly because my house is surrounded by mostly trees, green grass, and farmlands. There are not too many cars that travel around here too much and the air is normally very fresh, not to mention there are no factories or anything like that here either. The pollen can be annoying sometimes though.

Manhattan_Project_2000
06-03-2007, 07:30 PM
Well, the pollution is mostly of the type that kills Gators, so I don't mind much. Although all the smoke from that colossal forest fire was a bit much.

In Soviet Russia, only forest fires can prevent YOU.

Eris
06-04-2007, 04:42 AM
Pollution sucks!

You have a very firm grasp of the obvious.

Mazrim Taim
06-04-2007, 05:06 AM
Hmm.. Where I live there isn't that much pollution.. But the popular beaches here have gone from crap.. to even more crap.
That is all.

Sailor Lunar Eclipse
06-04-2007, 06:34 AM
I'm weird or maybe it's cause some of my friends smoke. But I actually like the smell of smoke... AND I KNOW ITS A BAD THING.

As for pollution. The Mississippi river is disgusting beyond reason. where I used to live a long- LONG time ago, when ever I'd be near that river I'd feel disgusting. But I guess most rivers are getting like that these days.

I refuse to fish in Minnesota. I'll fish in Wyoming, up in the mountains, but not here. It's not healthy one bit. Nor will I eat anything that has been hunted here.

Ayame_Sohma
06-04-2007, 06:42 AM
I can honestly say that pollution affects me very little where I live. Mainly because my house is surrounded by mostly trees, green grass, and farmlands. There are not too many cars that travel around here too much and the air is normally very fresh, not to mention there are no factories or anything like that here either.

Its the same where i live as well..but there are too many cars thought.

zyronet
06-04-2007, 06:58 AM
Is noise counted? oh well, if yes. Then it definitely affects me. It irritates me at some ways..
But if its environmental, quite so.. Smokes from cars are definitely the biggest contributor of pollution in our place.. That is in my opinion.

NiesaxShiori
06-04-2007, 07:06 AM
pollution drives me crazy..!!

Eris
06-04-2007, 07:32 AM
Is noise counted? oh well, if yes. Then it definitely affects me. It irritates me at some ways..
But if its environmental, quite so.. Smokes from cars are definitely the biggest contributor of pollution in our place.. That is in my opinion.

Noise is also pollution, it's actually quite unhealthy, and can lead to a number of health issues, such as heart problems and high blood pressure.

-akichan-
06-04-2007, 08:34 AM
I was borned in HK and i've also lived there for a long time too. I noticed that i'd get more pimpos there than living here in Seattle. And compare to the people over there and over here, peoples are more healthier here because of the fresh air that food absorbs, and less lung problems.

kwnbintang
06-04-2007, 08:37 AM
pollution can make me got flu..i hate pollution:mad:

Eris
06-04-2007, 10:29 AM

Chemical pneumonia I can see, in extreme cases (but that's way beyond pollution, and into severe industry accident territory), but the flu? Last time I checked, that was caused by a virus.

smile1010
06-04-2007, 11:04 AM
..I live an hour away from freaken L.A.
And I like breathing in fresh crisp air..
I don't get to do that alot living so close to L.A..

Buruku
06-04-2007, 12:17 PM
lol I love posts like this.

I live in a small city in Colorado, and pollution isn't an issue, which is why I love it here so much.

Pollution really bums me out, I'm glad I don't have to be around it.

CheatMasta
06-04-2007, 05:46 PM
I guess it's not bad here, but seeing as the UK is an MEDC we give out our fair share of pollution. Also I have asthma so it affects me more than normal. Damn pollution.

Also global warming, which will affect future generations.

We're awesome :P

*~Lily_Gemini~*
07-07-2007, 03:03 PM
i have athsma and the smoke in the air and stuff by buildings (hey thats pollution enuff) and it makes it hard for me to breathe

keezy.
07-07-2007, 05:15 PM
um.. i hate the fact that the polar ice caps r melting and all the government can say is "omg the polar ice caps r melting", "at a local school SAT scores were higher than normal, in other news the polar ice caps r melying." <-- this is how the government decides to tell us.

ben01
07-07-2007, 11:16 PM
it causes pimples in my face during my college days..