PDA

View Full Version : Using コレ and の か together... what does it mean? A little advise if possible, please

SasuNaru723
05-29-2007, 03:58 PM
For fair warning, I'm not someone that doesn't at least know a good few years of basic Japanese. My only problem understands how to translate written Japanese such as Manga and Doujinshi.

I'm right now trying to tackle a few of my own doujinshi that I had purchased a few months ago; all of it is RAW (only Japanese text and sadly for the kanji there is no furigana written at the side like they have in most Manga such as Naruto). I've just now come across a simple looking sentence, but the structure of the sentence just confuses me as to what the English meaning exactly is.

The sentence is...

ところ で, ナルト... お前 コレ に 弱い の か.

Now I figured out that ところ で, ナルト means roughly or around "No matter what, Naruto..."

However, it's the next line that stumps me because of the コレ and the の か. I haven't used sentences before with の か at the end, so I think that is what's buggering me to death.

I know that お前 is basically saying "you" and I also know that 弱い (written in hiragana is よわい ) means "frail; weak." I just don't know what the exact translation is to this simple little sentence. It's the little ones that bother me the most compared to the big sentences that you translate.

Help would be most appreciated!! T.T

tetekmakhang
05-30-2007, 10:50 AM
i think you're mistaken in thinking that ところで = no matter what. 'no matter what' would be どんなことがあっても.
ところで = by the way.
弱い does mean frail/weak, but i think in this context it means 'vulnerable'.
in terms of meaning, のか is the same as ですか. from the meaning point of view,お前これに弱いのか wouldnt change from お前これに弱いですか. (please just ignore the fact that i'm using the informal お前 and kind of polite ですか in the same sentence. its just so that i can explain it easier) its basically a way to ask a question.
except that by putting the の in that sentence, the feeling (not the meaning) of that sentence changes. it makes u sound more interested or worried about the person u r talking to - like u really wanna know if he's vulnerable to it.
so...i would personally translate the sentence that u gave us to "by the way naruto...are u really vulnerable to this?"

SasuNaru723
05-30-2007, 03:18 PM
なるほど! That does make complete sense! I did realize after I post the question that I was incorrect with the meaning of ところで because I checked the word again and it said also something of it meaning "place," so I knew then that I was wrong with that part.

Also, I'm glad to know what のか is. That's so easy! I appreciate your help!

:thanks:

shinnraiu
06-26-2007, 02:11 PM
「お前」は、前の人で・・・
it not really informal, is it? =/ only that person speak to is before you...

SasuNaru723
06-27-2007, 05:14 PM
「お前」は、前の人で・・・
it not really informal, is it? =/ only that person speak to is before you...

I don't get what you mean, but I honestly don't know if お前 is techinally informal or not. I just assume maybe it kind of is because you wouldn't be saying "お前" to your host mother or elder -something like that. So, that's what I meant about it being informal, weither if that means it's not informal or it is -oh well. It's confusing to explain unless you just know it in general.

shinnraiu
06-27-2007, 08:48 PM
I don't get what you mean, but I honestly don't know if お前 is techinally informal or not. I just assume maybe it kind of is because you wouldn't be saying "お前" to your host mother or elder -something like that. So, that's what I meant about it being informal, weither if that means it's not informal or it is -oh well. It's confusing to explain unless you just know it in general.

well thats different... but okay, i think i know what you mean by it. (i never categorized anything as formal/informal so I won't know.....)