PDA

View Full Version : Sonata Arctica

Hamashimura
05-14-2007, 01:45 PM
Formed 1996 in the Finnish town of Kemi,Sonata Arctica has over the past 10 years become one of the few greatest melodic power metal bands.
Extremely successfull tours over Europe,America and Japan made them awfully popular.

In late 2003,Sonata Arctica signed a contractwith Nuclear Blast Records and started recording ~Reckoning Night~ soon after that.
Their first single was released only in Finland,named ~Dont Say a Word~,and soon after it was released it went straight to #1 in the official charts!
Anyway,after succes of ~Reckoning Night~ and the 2006 released Live-DVD ~For the Sake of Revenge~,the band is about to present everyone with a new masterpiece!
~Unia~,that is meant to be released on 25.May,is typical album for them,with some new added ideas that makes ~Unia~ the most ambitious album ever recorded...

Albums:
Ecliptica
Silence
Songs of Silence
Winterheart's Guild
Reckoning Night
For the Sake of Revenge
Singles:
Unopened
Wolf and Raven
Last drop Falls
Victoria's Secret
Broken
Don't say a Word
Shamandalie
Replica 2006
Paid in Full
Including The End of this Chapter and The Collection as Best Of's,and Live-DVD For the Sake of Revenge

And ofcourse,Unia,that should be released on 25.May

Band Members:
Tony Kakko - as vocals/instrument:keyboards
Jani Liimatainen - instrumenst:guitar
Tommy Portimo - instrumenst:drums
Marko Paasikoski - instrumenst:bass
Henrik Klingenberg - instrumenst:keys

There...
Some info about them...
They are one of my favorites...Anyone heard about them?

Fiery
05-14-2007, 01:53 PM
They're coming to Cleveland, OH on September 24 and I'm going to see them. I'm a really big fan.

Ryth
05-14-2007, 03:30 PM
One of my favourite power metal groups. I adore Ecliptica and Silence.

MomijiTMO
05-14-2007, 05:40 PM
I just hate em. . . they suck but I have all of their albums.

Obviously joking. I love Sonata Arctica XD

My favourite album would be Unia, with Reckoning Night closely following.

I prefer the darker lyrics on the newer albums, something rarely done in Power.

Amilian
05-15-2007, 01:19 PM
They Own! Indeed.. ;)
I'm not really a big fan,; but i love there music

Hamashimura
05-15-2007, 01:41 PM
I'm glad to see that atleast someone like this band...

To be completely honest,it's one of my favorites,I love almost every their song,and as for albums,my current favorites are Ecliptica,For the Sake of Revenge and Reckoning Night...

LeTombassador
05-15-2007, 02:25 PM
im shocked about you guys here talknig about the bands from our beloved finland :S well i myself dont like sonata that much, sure they have few good songs, but the whole image of the band is kinda crappy imo :/

Fiery
05-15-2007, 06:12 PM
I know what you mean, Momo. One of my favorite SA songs is My Selene, -because- of the lyrics. Well, the melody is awesome, too, but it's just an all around lamenting song. Very pretty.

I also really like White Pearl, Black Oceans.

Amilian
05-16-2007, 03:46 AM
The only song that ever got stuck in my head of SA was Fullmoon, and tho their others are excellent too, this was the only one ever stuck..

MomijiTMO
05-18-2007, 02:28 AM
well i myself dont like sonata that much, sure they have few good songs, but the whole image of the band is kinda crappy imo :/

I really want to stab the dude with the keytar. Keytars suck so just play the keyboard like a keyboard.

Masali
05-18-2007, 12:35 PM
BLASPHEMER! Keytars are probably the single coolest instrument ever. Their songs are spectacular and extremely melodic. Lyrically, they're top notch. Musically, they're top notch. Great band, all in all.

Fiery
05-19-2007, 05:15 PM
BLASPHEMER! Keytars are probably the single coolest instrument ever. Their songs are spectacular and extremely melodic. Lyrically, they're top notch. Musically, they're top notch. Great band, all in all.

Agreed. The keytar also makes him that much sexier. I want to bang the hell out of the keytarist.

Dream_Empress
05-21-2007, 08:28 PM
Much love for this band. I always wanted to see them in concert. Never was able too. >< Anyway I have to say one of the most respected bands I have listen too. Power Metal has been a part of my life for a long time so of course this band defiantly makes my list.

Hamashimura
06-05-2007, 01:37 AM
One of my favorite SA songs is My Selene, -because- of the lyrics. Well, the melody is awesome, too, but it's just an all around lamenting song. Very pretty.

Yeah,My Selene is truly awesome song...epic song,and one of my all time favorites^^

Agreed...

I really want to stab the dude with the keytar. Keytars suck so just play the keyboard like a keyboard.

Sorry Momiji,but I have to disagree in this with you...
I dont see why you think that this sucks so much...you dont like keytar,dont you?

Oh,and I was wrong,I've found out that Unia album was released before 25th May,but I dont get why...
Anyway,Unia is pretty good...I'm addicted to more than half album,and my fav song from this is Caleb...
Awesome....

MomijiTMO
06-05-2007, 01:39 AM
No it was released on the 25 May but was leaked months earlier.

Hamashimura
06-05-2007, 01:46 AM
Oh,I see,so that's how it was...
Thnx for the info^^

MomijiTMO
06-05-2007, 03:01 AM
XD. Yeah Nuclear Blast [and every other company] distribute promo cds to various magazines so they can review them before the cd is released.

I have respect for the person who stitched it since Nuclear Blast divide the promo into 99 tracks. Trust me . . . . this sucks >__<.

XxEnslavedNekoxX
06-08-2007, 08:58 PM
Wow I'm surprised to see someone posted up a topic about this band. Yes Sonata Arctica is wonderful in my opinion. I saw them last year down at the Pound SF, in San Fransisco of course. I remember it well, they had Apocalyptica go on before them as well as another band (I love Apocalyptica to, the club was small and definatly packed but they put on a really great show. A better show then Korn actually whom I saw a few months later. I have all the albums that where released in the US, my favorite songs being White Pearl/ black Oceans, broken, and don't say a word to name a few.
If you enjoy Sonata Arctica you should try Lullacry, Nightwish, Apocalyptica and Lordi. ^^ All good bands in my opinion.

Mocchi
06-09-2007, 03:33 AM
im shocked about you guys here talknig about the bands from our beloved finland :S

Me too. :D

Sonata is one of my favourite bands and I think they're awesome live. I went to see their concert two months ago in Oulu and I can't wait to see them again at Qstock festival. ^_^

Some of my favourite Sonata songs are Broken, Shy, Sing In Silence and The Boy Who Wanted to Be a Real Puppet. Tony Kakko is a genius! I haven't heard any songs from their new album Unia (which by the way means Dreams in finnish) but I'm thinking about buying it. I've heard it's good. :)

If you enjoy Sonata Arctica you should try Lullacry, Nightwish, Apocalyptica and Lordi. ^^ All good bands in my opinion

And they all come from Finland. O_O

Hamashimura
06-13-2007, 05:49 AM
If you enjoy Sonata Arctica you should try Lullacry, Nightwish, Apocalyptica and Lordi. ^^ All good bands in my opinion.

Well...I like Lullacry and Nightwish...Apocalyptica can pass,but Lordi...Nah...
They're somewhat...too fancy for my taste...

I haven't heard any songs from their new album Unia (which by the way means Dreams in finnish) but I'm thinking about buying it. I've heard it's good.

Unia is great!You really should buy it if you like Sonata that much,believe me,you wont regret it^^

XxEnslavedNekoxX
06-13-2007, 07:16 PM
A new sonata arctica album already? They work fast o_O but thats good for us. ^^ I'll have to see if I can get my hands on a copy. I think Lordi is more for people who enjoy 80's metal, aside from that their costumes are really tacky yet it seems to work for them.
Finland just continues to give us great bands :D