PDA

View Full Version : Kamelot

MomijiTMO
05-09-2007, 01:59 AM
Kamelot are a Power Metal band that is predominately American. When they formed in 1991, Kamelot stood out from the crowd for being somewhere between the European and US Power Metal schools.

They have become more progressive on their last releases, blending symphonic elements to create some truly original music. Their characteristic sound is attributed to Khan's vocals more than any other instrument.

The current line up:

Roy Khan - Vocals
Thomas Youngblood - Lead Guitar
Glenn Barry - Bass Guitar
Casey Grillo - Drums
Oliver Palotai - Keyboard

Discography :

Eternity (1995)
Dominion (1997)
Siege Perilous (1998)
The Fourth Legacy (1999)
Karma (2001)
Epica (2003)
The Black Halo (2005)
Ghost Opera (2007) To be released in June (dates vary)

A live DVD, "One Cold Winter's Night" was released in 2006 and features a complete concert in Oslo. A live cd was simultaneously released with the DVD.

Ryth
05-09-2007, 02:20 PM
Love these guys, I have Karma, Epica, The Black Halo, and a leak of Ghost Opera (hear it's disappointing, but I haven't had time to listen due to school + Speakers that do or don't work randomly). One of my favourites in power metal.

Hamashimura
05-09-2007, 02:25 PM
Ah,good old Kamelot^^
I love them(expecially vocals^^),and personally my favorite albums are Eternity,Karma and Epica(I own every their album,but these I like the best)...
My current favorite songs are March of Mephisto,Center of the Universe and Descent of the Archangel...
Sadly,I dont own their DVD...

MomijiTMO
05-09-2007, 05:36 PM
Ghost Opera is pretty darn good :D

Hamashimura
06-05-2007, 01:27 AM
Agreed...
To be honest,I didn't liked the Ghost Opera album when I first listened to it,but then...
Well,I've listened it again,and I realized that it's awesome...
My fav songs are Ghost Opera,Blucher,Rule the World,Silence of the Darkness and The Human Stain...

Yugure's Goddess
06-25-2007, 01:41 PM
Just the other day I caught the Music Video for their song Ghost Opera on MTV's Headbanger's Ball. Me and my family are all kind of metal heads but none of us had ever heard them before. We were all just blown away by the beautiful Operatic elements they had in the song plus the Video was really cool. We replayed it like 5 times before moving on and we were really getting into the lead singer's voice and the originality of the music.

A really cool group and very much worth a listen. Me and my entire family were sold from that one MV and my Step Dad was demanding to buy the album. This is not something he says normally and as former sax and Chelo player and a current guitar player he has a good ear and knows good, original music when he hears it. This is saying a lot also in the fact of how diverse metal already is and trust me, my parents have heard all forms of metal. It was beautiful. It was original. Believe me, Kamelot is worth a serious listen or twelve.

love
dani
dude

Ryth
06-25-2007, 02:42 PM
Well, I listened to Ghost Opera. I honestly thought it was lackluster and an album like this is not excusable coming from a band whose last three albums have blown away almost everything else in power metal (namely Epica). The songs are too short and rinky-dink and aren't filling. Seriously, I see how this can appeal to someone who has no idea who Kamelot beforehand, but I have a much higher standard for this band and for power metal. A major disappointment.

Yugure's Goddess
06-25-2007, 11:22 PM
Well, I listened to Ghost Opera. I honestly thought it was lackluster and an album like this is not excusable coming from a band whose last three albums have blown away almost everything else in power metal (namely Epica). The songs are too short and rinky-dink and aren't filling. Seriously, I see how this can appeal to someone who has no idea who Kamelot beforehand, but I have a much higher standard for this band and for power metal. A major disappointment.
Higher standard? Excuse me? The hell is that supposed to mean? What? I have a low standard of metal music? My step father, who I'm willing to bet has a MUCH better musical ear than you and who has been listening to metal music for over ten year longer than you've been alive has a lower standard of music than you? My mother whose been listening to metal almost twice as long and was there to fall in love with metal gods like Iron Maiden, Slayer, Metallica and Pantera when they first rose to fame has a lower standard than you?

Excuse me, but you had no place saying something like that. For your information, my standards are actually rather high as are the standards of my parents. I'm not in love with Evenescence, Panic! at the Disco, Green Day or Linkin' Park or any other new, overrated bands that dare to call their crap 'metal' or even half-decent rock because they're below my standards, musically.

I'm in band and under the direction of a master of music theory who has taught me to hear when something sounds good. I know what I'm listening for and as a real, die-hard metal fan, that song impressed me. If you're dissapointed by that album, whatever but don't downplay my ear or my knowledge or the fact that I liked it or furthermore, the same attributes of my parents. You may not think it's good enough but that doesn't mean you have high standards. You just didn't like it.

Trust me, from a musical perspective, taking in their sound quality, harmony, various other elements of musical theory and even originality; that song is pure genius regardless of what your "standards" are.

love
dani
dude

Wonderwice
06-26-2007, 02:01 AM
Ehr, to be honest I haven't heard much of the previous albums so I can't really say if Ghost Opera is better or worse or whatever. But I think Kamelot is a great band :3 .

Anyhow, I love the Ghost Opera album. My favorite Kamelot songs are Bluecher, the Human Stain, The Haunting and Memento Mori.

Ryth
06-26-2007, 01:47 PM
Higher standard? Excuse me? The hell is that supposed to mean? What? I have a low standard of metal music? My step father, who I'm willing to bet has a MUCH better musical ear than you and who has been listening to metal music for over ten year longer than you've been alive has a lower standard of music than you? My mother whose been listening to metal almost twice as long and was there to fall in love with metal gods like Iron Maiden, Slayer, Metallica and Pantera when they first rose to fame has a lower standard than you?

Excuse me, but you had no place saying something like that. For your information, my standards are actually rather high as are the standards of my parents. I'm not in love with Evenescence, Panic! at the Disco, Green Day or Linkin' Park or any other new, overrated bands that dare to call their crap 'metal' or even half-decent rock because they're below my standards, musically.

I'm in band and under the direction of a master of music theory who has taught me to hear when something sounds good. I know what I'm listening for and as a real, die-hard metal fan, that song impressed me. If you're dissapointed by that album, whatever but don't downplay my ear or my knowledge or the fact that I liked it or furthermore, the same attributes of my parents. You may not think it's good enough but that doesn't mean you have high standards. You just didn't like it.

Trust me, from a musical perspective, taking in their sound quality, harmony, various other elements of musical theory and even originality; that song is pure genius regardless of what your "standards" are.

love
dani
dude

Ermmm, sorry? I didn't mean it anything like that. I didn't mean to say you were ignorant of music, I don't know anything about you, so it'd be quite idiotic of me to assume you're ignorant of music in general. However, I do know you're new to Kamelot, and I think (thats the keyword here, if I made it seem like I was stating fact, then sorry I didn't type out word for word how its all opinion, I don't have patience to end every sentence with "in my opinion") their past stuff was a lot more fresh and new than Ghost Opera. I just think Ghost Opera is just repeating past Kamelot work with shorter songs. Ghost Opera was the best song on that album anyway, if you get the Ghost Opera album I'm sure you'll get bored of all the filler like I did. Especially if you listen to Epica (sorry if bringing that album up gets redundant, but it's their magnum opus in my opinion).
I've been a Kamelot fan for a good while, I have numerous albums by them and have loved their work. So yes, I do have a higher standard for Kamelot as a long time fan and as a general metal enthusiast like yourself, and in my opinion (usually I wouldn't have to say that, but I suppose I have to draw it out for some people), Ghost Opera is a stepdown, maybe its better than most power metal nowadays (probably is) but it is far from Kamelot's usual work. I think their previous work was more fresh, more satisfying, and just a lot better. Think whatever the hell you want, welcome to the ****ing Internet, infact, welcome to the goddamn world, people have opinions and you don't need to throw a temper tantrum whenever someone doesn't end a post in "imho."
Kudos though, to you and your parents for recognizing something good (anyone who recognizes all the bands you said were **** gets points in my book). If Ghost Opera were Kamelot's first album, I'd say the album shows a band with potential but not the maturity to use it, but as it is, as their latest out of many albums, its a band with potential not using what they know they have and have used before, and the potential, in my opinion shines through in various songs but not nearly enough to make up for the unoriginal filler that I myself find in the album.

P.S. To the people repping Yugure's Goddess

1. I'm a guy, Hamashimura.

2. How easily amused are you people? Someone throws a tantrum on the Internet because she jumped to conclusions and all have a sudden I've "really been told?" I'll remember next time I get in an argument I just need to be jump to conclusions and ramble aimlessly to win.

Yugure's Goddess
06-27-2007, 12:29 AM
Temper tantrum? I didn't throw a tantrum. I got a little angry and pointed out that that last statement rather offended me. I really don't mind if you have a different opinion of the band; I can handle that. What I can’t handle nearly as well is some one insulting myself or kin in a roundabout way like you seemed to be doing. Sorry if I misinterpreted your post but it was pretty easy to think you were trying to talk down to me, especially from that last sentence.

If I was throwing a temper tantrum it would be in all caps. Trust me, though, I have a lot more self-control than that.

Regardless, I still like the song, Ghost Opera, quite a bit.

love
dani
dude

Masali
06-27-2007, 06:27 PM
uh...right. Anywho, never heard of them.

But I could tell from the name that they were a powemetal band. And sure enough, I was right. I kind of stopped listening to power metal, it's usually more of the same. I still like Bands like Sonata Arctica, though, because they continue to bring me something I like listening to.

GaiSensei
06-27-2007, 06:46 PM
If I could rep you for creating this thread, I would =]

Kamelot's all I've been listening to all day today. I won't even try to name all the songs I like because I'd be using too many commas.

Though if someone hasn't heard them yet, I'd recommend The Haunting, Karma, and Farewell.

Personally, I really liked Ghost Opera and Center of the Universe.

Hamashimura
07-19-2007, 04:20 PM
I got One Cold Winter's Night DVD today,and to be honest - I was amazed...
Though The Haunting sounded a bit odd,but it's ok...
I especially loved the snow effect in song Abandoned,brutally awesome XD

MomijiTMO
07-23-2007, 03:36 AM
Yeah that version you see is the radio edit [wwwaaaaahhhhh they butchered it].

I love the new video clip of "Ghost Opera" and eagerly await the next dvd.

PS : Ryth's taste in music pwns what most of you have heard. I didn't want to engage in this petty feud but I can't contain my laughter anymore. Epica is the last traditional Power Metal release by Kamelot and the following albums have been more experimental. The typical soaring guitar melodies have a back seat to more Symphonic elements and Khans voice. If anything, Kamelot are treading deeper into Melodic Metal. Ryth of course recognises this as demonstrated in his post. By the way, this is NOT a chat room as you know so the posts are ABOUT the thread, not necessarily the previous post. Reading Ryth's post, I did not feel that it was aimed at your head. Maybe you have some issues you need to get off your chest?

I'm not in love with Evenescence, Panic! at the Disco, Green Day or Linkin' Park or any other new, overrated bands that dare to call their crap 'metal' or even half-decent rock because they're below my standards, musically.
Oh and to do what you did, are you saying that I have low standards? I happen to enjoy Lostprophets, 30 Seconds To Mars and numerous other bands that are the in thing at present. I have enough confidence to shrug off negative comments. It's a forum and as you wisely stated, we can have different opinions. :3

PPS : Oh my god, Slayer, Iron Maiden and Metallica are sooooo Metal. LOL, they tread on the surface of Metal as a genre.

canta per me
07-31-2007, 12:30 PM
I really like Kamelot's music. It is a lot different then most music you hear today. I can't pick a favorite song, but all that I am familiar with I really enjoy. I like the song that reads "Silently we wonder" and another song which I believe is called Moonlight. But if I had to narrow it down to a favorite it would be Karma.