PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy:Unlimited...Good anime,or the one that was never ment to be created?

Hamashimura
04-25-2007, 11:46 AM
Some info...
It was released in Japan in October 2001 and was originally scheduled for 52 weekly episodes, but was cut down to 25 episodes. It is widely believed that low ratings are the cause for this, however it has been suggested that the actual reason is Square's budget drying up due to the failure of the Final Fantasy movie(Spirits Within-biiiiig failure). Final Fantasy: Unlimited was intended to bring in a new audience base and attract new interest in the Final Fantasy realm.

Final Fantasy: Unlimited also incorporates both 2D animation and 3D graphics, and takes elements from the Final Fantasy games with quite a few easter eggs, some obvious, others obscure. It was licensed for North America and the British Isles by ADV Films, and 7 volumes of videos were released on DVD. In 2003, the series soundtrack Final Fantasy: Unlimited After 2 was released. The continuation of the story has also been released in a variety of other media.

Synopsis:

Twelve years ago, a mysterious pillar of darkness erupted off the coast of Japan. Giant dragon-like beasts emerged from the darkness, first wiping out the naval force investigating the disturbance, then each other, in a spectacular magical battle caught on videotape by a Japanese couple on the mainland.
In the present day, their twin children live in a largely deserted metropolis where the subway has only one destination: "The Inner World". Following in their parents' footsteps, they encounter strange creatures, powerful magic-users, and, of course, chocobos. But where have their parents gone ... and what are the motivations behind the joining of the worlds?
Note:synopsis copied

This is one rating by someone:
"I wasn't strongly touched with anime and it's story,and I expected more from anime based on so popular game...
Anyway,this is one of the ranking:"While the premise is interesting, it's evident from the beginning that this is Final Fantasy for the Digimon crowd - rather than dwelling on the mystery of magic and action involving powerful beasts, the audience gets to watch the children get into various chocobo shenanigans usually involving the yanking of Ai's pigtails. Adult characters seem to be either glorified babysitters, ciphers, or weird, creepy villains. Not that this is necessarily a bad thing, but fans of the more recent FF titles will probably be disappointed. And the action sequences could've used a lot more polish. I really don't think any reasonable creature would just sit there while so-and-so takes fifteen minutes to summon Phoenix or Typhoon ... would you?"

As for my opinion,it has an interesting story peppered with amusing in-jokes, like having the famous victory played after the end of a battle, and numerous references to the earlier FF games. The characters are cute, and the music...Well,I'm not impressed,but I'll pass on this one...

Anyway,succes in series of game doesn't instantly lead to succes in creating anime based on them...And it's plot hasn't quite proved as worthy of acclaim,atleast I think so...
And the battles...
Oh well,atleast they made spell looking good,lol^^

Well,enough from me,has anyone else seen this?
If you do,then share your thoughts here(though I believe not many will reply,since this anime isn't quite popular)...

MomijiTMO
04-26-2007, 02:59 AM
Well I am not a fan of FF:Unlimited. I found the story to be so so but was hoping for the series to have a story on par with the game stories. I guess having 'Final Fantasy' puts a lot of pressure on the story.

Still an enjoyable anime but don't expect an epic Final Fantasy story.

NovaStar
04-26-2007, 10:35 AM
I believe it is one that should never have been created: Though it is Anime it has absolutely nothing to do with the Final Fantasy Storylines, and is only using the name to promote itself.

Regex
04-26-2007, 11:06 AM
I believe it is one that should never have been created: Though it is Anime it has absolutely nothing to do with the Final Fantasy Storylines, and is only using the name to promote itself.That's not very fair. None of the numbered Final Fantasy games had anything to do with the others either. The name Final Fantasy just indicates the team that worked on it. They weren't capitalizing on the name any more than Final Fantasy VII was.

NovaStar
04-26-2007, 11:16 AM
I Suppose you are correct. - I'll meet you half way by correcting myself and saying it better: I don't believe it warrents the name of the series because it doesn't live up to the hype of the other things which bare the name of Final Fantasy.

hireshi
05-04-2007, 06:43 AM
Final Fantasy is a great Anime.

But the Spirits Within, they could've spared themself for that, it was straightly boring :/