Line-up:
Mathias 'Vreth' Lillmåns - Vocals
Samuli 'Skrymer' Ponsimaa - Guitar
Mikael 'Routa' Karlbom - Guitar
Sami 'Tundra' Uusitalo - Bass
Samu 'Beast Dominator' Ruotsalainen - Drums
Henri 'Trollhorn' Sorvali - Keyboards

Former members:
Tapio Wilska 2002–2006 (vocals) (Fired due to private reasons.)
Jan 'Katla' Jämsen 1997–2001 (vocals) (Retired due to a throat tumor which made him unable to sing.)
Teemu 'Somnium' Raimoranta (guitar) (Died 2003 in a supposed alcohol-related falling accident, though Mika Luttinen, vocalist from Impaled Nazarene, has gone on the record saying that his death was a suicide, and that he only had the equivalent of three beers in his system at the time of death.)
Tomi Ullgren 1997–1998 (guitar)

Releases:
Rivfader [Demo] (1998)
Midnattens Widunder (1999)
Jaktens Tid (2001)
Visor om Slutet (2003)
Nattfödd (2004)
Ur Jordens Djup (2007)

Finntroll is a metal band from Finland. They play folk/black/viking metal with elements of hummpa (Finnish polka). They sing in Swedish because according to the old vocalist Katla "It just sounds so damn trollish."

In 1999 they released "Midnattens Widunder", this is the album that is said to be most black metal of their albums. It was Jan 'Katla' Jämsen who did the vocals on this record.

In 2001 "Jaktens Tid" came out, a album that did it much better than both publisher and band had expected. "Jaktens Tid" is said to be the most favorited one by the fans, it's also the record that has the most viking metal elements. It was Katla who sang on this album too.

The year after was a hard year for Finntroll. They got a lot of problems with tours and such because Katla had gotten a viral-based tumour on his vocal chords and it could not be removed surgically

In 2003 they released "Visor Om Slutet" who's a completely acoustic album. This was where Tapio Wilska joined. He and Katla shared the singing duties on this album. After this, Katla left the band.
Right before the album released one of their guitarists, Raimoranta, died by falling of a bridge and right to the ice on the river beneath. It was officially said to have been a drunken mistake, but a close friend and bandmate from another band, Mika Luttinen, speculated that it was suicide.

In 2004 "Nattfödd" came out. This was the first album that only had Wilska on vocal. It contains they most famoust song; "Trollhammaren". (This is also my personal favorite of their albums. I really love Wilskas voice.)

In 2006 Wilska was fired. It was due to private reasons. Late the same year Mathias 'Vreth' Lillmåns joined Finntroll as their new voice.

In March 2007 they released the long awaited "Ur Jordens Djup". Katla has returned to the band to write their lyrics and it's noticeable that they've gone back to a much darker and more black/viking/troll metal style.

Some of my favorite songs:
Midnattens Widunder
Rivfader
Skogens Hämnd
Jaktens Tid
Kitteldags
Födosagan
Asfågelns Död
Försvinn Du Som Lyser
Den Sista Runans Dans
Trollhammaren
Rök
Fiskarens Fiende
Sång
Ormhäxan

So... Does anyone else like Finntroll or have some sort of opinion on them?
Discuss them here.

MomijiTMO
04-23-2007, 06:30 PM
Well . . . . . . hell yeah!

I love Finntroll but sometimes the hummpa gets on my nerves. I really like "Visor Om Slutet" as it was completely acoustic. :)

Ryth
04-24-2007, 03:58 PM
I have like their entire discography (whoo torrents), but my speakers are being finnicky so I haven't listened yet.

This maddens The Hulk. D:<

UrusaiSevera
05-11-2007, 09:14 AM
I like Rivfader... an old song from 1998

Scarlet Wings
05-16-2007, 02:33 PM
Finntroll is really fun. Some folk metal at its best I say.

Neal Raven
05-30-2007, 07:01 AM
i've heard a song of em on a podcast and i really liked all bands on it
so soon im gonna do some research on all of em

Mocchi
06-09-2007, 11:28 AM
Finntroll is abit too dark for my taste.. But it's wonderful if someone really likes 'em. :P