PDA

View Full Version : Can some one tell me what this means?

kikijio
04-22-2007, 03:56 PM
Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge..

I have NO idea what it means and I really want to know!!
I only know that Shichi sometimes means 7.. and none of the other words are in my dictionary!!
(Yep.. It's cause I've been watching the anime and I just really want to know ^_^)

kitune
04-23-2007, 10:35 AM
"Yamato" is a very old name of Japan. The Yamato Imperial Court, which is roots of the present Japanese Tenno (Emperor), had existed over 1500 years ago.
"Nadeshiko" is a name of a pretty pink flower. It's scientific name is "Dianthus superbus L. var. longicalycinus". This link is the result of google image search of it.

Nadeshiko has been loved by Japanese people since ancient times, and has been compared to women because of its delicate beauty.
Then, an idiom "Yamato Nadeshiko" indicates a woman who has Japanese virtue; modest, delicate, honest, and strong mind.

"Henge (へんげ)" is another (and slightly old) pronunciation of "変化(へんか:henka)", which means "change".
"Shchi Henge (7 changes)" originally is a kind of kabuki (Japanese classical drama), in which a main actor/actress changes his/her role and costume seven times. But at the present age, it tends to mean "change variously".

Finally, an idiomatic expression "Yamato Nadeshiko Shchi Henge" indicates stories in which a modest girl plays an active part.
I'm sorry that I have not watched the anime that you watched. But I guess it contain such a story, doesn't it?

I am grateful if this post helps you.

Ranna
04-23-2007, 10:43 AM
WOW i didnt know any of that all i know is that baka means (idiot, stupid, or something to that degree)

JackofTrades
04-26-2007, 04:07 PM
Kitune is very knowledgeable! :D I did not know that about Nadeshiko. I always thought it must be something significant to the Japanese as it is used in several stories, anime, etc... Thanks for sharing!