PDA

View Full Version : Online Rpgs

Shadows_N_dust
04-18-2007, 10:09 AM
Hey, im new here, and im also currently looking for a good mmorpg, as long as it is free. But can anyone give me a list or post your favorites. I am already aware of runescape and tibia, but I am looking for something different.

All help is greatly appreciated! Also, if you could give like a definition of the game, and what it is about that would also be very helpful.

THANK y o u:p

Opinionated
04-18-2007, 10:26 AM
FlyFF is alright, except for that there's a world of emphasis on the word grinding. As in, you'll be grinding your teeth in frustration. The powerlevelers in the game charge on an hourly rate, and there's basically one monster type for level bracket.

Corum first attracted me with the promise of important guild vs. guild battles over dungeons. However, the game is very obviously in it's beta. Meaning it's unfinished, unpolished, and not yet ready to be played. However, once it goes into it's full edition, I hope that most of those problems will be fixed.

Silkroad has a simple stat system(STR and INT) and a well-done skill system to offer, as well as reasonably good graphics. Out of the three, I most suggest Silkroad, as there are quite a few people on AF who play. That is, if they actually take the time to find you and add you as a friend.

Regex
04-18-2007, 11:31 AM
You won't find a decent free one. Some people swear by Silkroad, but it's lacking in so many areas, when you compare it to even Everquest 2.

You should probably consider some of the paying options, because that's where all the real development effort is being placed.

Shadows_N_dust
04-18-2007, 12:31 PM
Ok thankyou, both of you, I am going to check out 2 of those free ones that Opinionated so kindly gave me. If the free games dont work out for me then I will explore the option of paying for a game. Thankyou. :D

:p :p

bug
04-27-2007, 10:33 PM
Before you try Flyff, understand that Opinionated is only half right. True, you have to fight a lot of monster to lvl up, but Opinionated, tell me one game that you don't? Anyway, the thing is, this game is not for solo playing. Plus, you could fight a bunch of deferent monsters in any lvl. For example, when I need food, I fight monsters at around my lvl. If I have a good amount of food, then I'll fight stronger monsters. Plus, when you join a party, you could take on monsters that are much stringer then you. The best part about this game is that you could fly at lvl 20. And trust me, flying is really fun, and for some people, it never gets old, especially when you fly for the first time with a bunch of friends. I guess Opinionated and I have very deferent opinions on this. Anyway, just try it out before you say no.

[BlackDeath]
05-01-2007, 10:07 AM
You won't find a decent free one. Some people swear by Silkroad, but it's lacking in so many areas, when you compare it to even Everquest 2.

You should probably consider some of the paying options, because that's where all the real development effort is being placed.And what p2p options are there worth playing?

The only one P2P game I found even remotely worthwile is Lineage II. Great guild/alliance, castle siege systems. Able to manipulate the towns economy if your alliance controls the castle of that area. Summon Siege Golems and Siege artillery for caste sieges. Lots of different jobs to specialize in though lacking in a variety of skills.... lastly is biased on players with more in game gold.

All in all there really isn't anything good on the MMO Market atm. Grenada Espada is still in closed beta and I stopped playing that until pre-open beta to stop wasting time grinding on a char that will be wipped - Yes I know it's for testing also.

Soul of the Ultimate Nation - also in beta in Korea and Taiwan, look forward to that but absolutely no info on International beta release dates. Unless you obtain a Korean account by stealing some poor persons KSSN.

As for free MMO's;

Guild Wars [all of them] - are good, have good ratings also, but grinding to a level20 cap is boring. Game gets dull and repetative. All that is left after to perfect your PVP char, up your fame and guild rank in GvG battles.

Silkroad - one of the only decent F2P games out there but it really isn't free, if you really want to get anywhere of high status you will end up using their item mall to purchase premium items such as 4 week gold passes.

Regex
05-01-2007, 11:13 AM
I played Star Wars Galaxies, Everquest, Final Fantasy XI, City of Heroes/Villains, D&D Online, and WoW, and of all of them, WoW has absolutely been the best.

The thing about Warcraft is that Blizzard didn't try anything particularly new, necessarily. They looked at what the others did, and then did those things correctly. They made for a great game that has something for everyone.

As for why I didn't like the rest?
Star Wars: It was broken when I played.. Still in infant stages, a lot was cool, but but it wasn't ready yet.
Final Fantasy XI: Leveling up was tedious. It was more of a chore than anything.
Everquest: The art was.. Not artistic. The gameplay was not interesting. Nothing about it struck me as fun or interesting. Aside from that, nothing was really bad.
City of Heroes/Villains: I loved the character creation, but leveling up gave me a feeling of repetitive drudgery. It was the same thing over and over again until you died of boredom.
D&D Online: It was a clever idea, but the attempt to bring the old tabletop rules to a video game, I didn't feel it translated well.

I've stuck with WoW longer than I've stuck with the others, and I've just found that it manages to click really well for everyone. I love the story, and I love the gameplay.