PDA

View Full Version : っぷり?

glasnost
04-17-2007, 03:59 PM
On the internet, I've run across っぷり as a suffix of sorts on nouns and 連用形 verbs, i.e. 読みっぷり, 女っぷり
Could someone explain what this means? Thanks.

Lunafreya Fleuret
04-18-2007, 06:16 AM
..You mean explain what the suffixes mean?

zER3oSa104ki
04-18-2007, 04:07 PM
I don't think you say 「女っぷり」 that doesn't really make sense.
"xxxっぷり" kind of means how much of xxx you do. so like if you say 「飲みっぷりがいい(飲みっぷりis good)」 it means you drink alot, which is normally taken in a positive way. Same to "読みっぷり" but in that case its "reading". If you get what I mean.

Anime_Freakz~
04-19-2007, 04:55 PM
let's see if I can make this out, this(飲み) should be a verb? and what's with th 'gaii' thing?

kitune
04-21-2007, 04:20 AM
"っぷり" means something like "manner", "behavior" or "the way of one's doing". I think it originated from "ふり(振り)", which means "pretending" or "choreography of a dance or a drama".

When we Japanese hear "女っぷり(femaleっぷり)", we imagine gentleness, charm and beauty. And when "男っぷり(maleっぷり)", we imagine strength, sense of justice and courage.

In the case of "読みっぷり(readingっぷり)", it means the way of reading. For example, "読みっぷりがいい(Your readingっぷり is good)" means "You read correctly with big cheerful voice."

*** to zER3oSa104ki ***
"飲みっぷり(drinkingっぷり)" has little about the quantity. When you drink a glass of beer in one draft, you would be said "見事な飲みっぷりだね。(You have nice dinkingっぷり)". The speed and the expression while drinking are more important than the quantity.

I'm grateful if this post helps you.