PDA

View Full Version : Future MMO investments?

-Batman-
04-17-2007, 04:29 AM
Anyone else notice the dramatic increase in MMO development since WoW?
I hear about a new MMO in development every few weeks now.
I won't be playing WoW forever, I hit 50 and I'm already getting bored with it (Which is weird, because 50 is the level I lost interest in both City of Heroes and SW:Galaxies)
Then again CoH and Galaxies were already on the verge of death when I joined. WoW is just too repedative for my taste (Masali, if we run SFK ONE MORE TIME...)

So what are some future MMO's that have caught your interest? I have a few...

Age of Conan for starters. It appeals because of the features, and the fact that it's going to be (Not sure if this is true) "The first Mature rated MMORP". If you've ever read a Conan book/comic, or a Red Sonja comic it should be aparant as to why. I liked a lot of the features listed, and as of now its the only MMO i'm interested where I have any information!
Also, Conan is one thousand and one layers of pure win.

Next, Theres a Dragon Ball Z MMORPG in the making for the Japanese market set for 2008. Aside from a few screens I know nothing, as I can't read Japanese. No idea if it's coming to the states, but i'd play it.

Finally...Both DC and Marvel are making MMORPG's of their respective universes. I'm looking forward to Marvel more, Mostly because I'm more Marvel at heart than DC.
But another factor makes me say no to the DC game. (Prepair for the ultimate showdown of ultimate geekdom)
The DC game is PS3...The Marvel game(the one i'm interested in with my beloved characters) is for the 360. Even more!
The DC game is being developed by Sony. The Marvel game is being developed by Microsoft itself. (Welcome to the wacky world of comic book's...But if Batman is voiced by Kevin Conroy in the DC game, then my inner fanboy dictates that I must buy a PS3...Batman:TAS = greatest animated series every greated. Period.)

So...Any MMO's anyone is looking forward too in the upcoming months/years?

Ichiro Matsuchani
04-17-2007, 05:53 AM
I've never really had an intense interest in MMO's, since most of the time they have these things in common. Repetition! Level grinding!

Though one rumor I've heard did catch my interest. There's some rumors going around about Bioware making a Kotor MMO. It's hard to believe, but those are the rumors.

Regex
04-17-2007, 10:24 AM
There isssss

http://www.flyinglab.com/pirates/ Pirates of the Burning Sea, which I'm in the beta for. ... So we'll see if it turns out to be any good.

http://www.stargateworlds.com/ Stargate Worlds interests me, just because I love Stargate, so I'm curious to see if this turns out to be very good.

I think Star Wars Galaxies marked the beginning of the MMO boom. EQ was super popular, so when Sony came out with SWG, everyone else realized that they could make one too.. Suddenly everyone and their mother wanted to make their own MMO.

Now when I played SWG, there were no level numbers.. So it sounds like a lot has changed. .. But I got master fencer/creature handler there and had a blast.

I played FFXI, though that was a real chore. Worked my way to level 50 before it was too much for me.

I couldn't stick with City of Villains past level 15 even. Talk about repetitive, my gosh. There was nothing to the story at all.. It was just random words strung together that tried to justify going into buildings and killing a bunch of enemies. It's sad, because the premise was wonderful, and the character creator was amazing, but the gameplay really sucked.

WoW is a lot of fun, as long as you don't let other people tell you how you should play it. Everyone's got this idea that if you don't play it the way they say, then you are doing it wrong. I love the leveling up progression, and the story, so I have probably 25 characters, scattered across different servers. WoW made the story so interesting that leveling up rarely feels like a grind. I just wish there were some way to make end game feel less like you're just running the same dungeons over and over and over again.

-Batman-
04-17-2007, 08:06 PM
Now when I played SWG, there were no level numbers.. So it sounds like a lot has changed. .. But I got master fencer/creature handler there and had a blast.
SOE released an update that nerfed all of that. It converted everything into one of nine classes.
Commando, Entertainer, Officer, Trader, Medic, Smuggler, Spy, Bounty Hunter, and Jedi.

A lot of people became Jedi the old fasion way before this, and becoming a Jedi was the most difficult task in the game that lasted months of grinding and playing. People kept leaving because if it.
Now, just to hold onto customers SOE is basically giving things away. I payed for one last month back in november, and I had about 5 veteran rewards for time I never payed for, including a Luxery walk-in star ship.
Sadly, it isn't enough to keep people on.

I couldn't stick with City of Villains past level 15 even. Talk about repetitive, my gosh. There was nothing to the story at all.. It was just random words strung together that tried to justify going into buildings and killing a bunch of enemies. It's sad, because the premise was wonderful, and the character creator was amazing, but the gameplay really sucked.

Yeah, the character creator was the best. I had more fun making characters than playing the actual game. (Someone ripped the character creator into it's own program...Basically you just mess around with the design pallet with everything unlocked. Pretty sure it's illegal)

anywho...

Heres a link for the Conan (http://community.ageofconan.com/wsp/conan/frontend.cgi?func=frontend.show&template=main) game I mentioned incase anyone else was interested.
I'm freakin' in LOVE with the game features in this...
...I wonder if you get a special reward if you best Red Sonja in a fight...Nah, but it's be funny.

And here's the DBZ link (http://www.4gamer.net/news.php?url=/news/history/2007.03/20070320162228detail.html)...Can anyone translate this?

Opinionated
04-17-2007, 08:40 PM
The way I hear, the Conan MMO is going to put a lot of emphasis on guilds, with guilds being able to take a town(or some other area) and then use it in seiges against other guilds. I also hear that'll be in the Warhammer MMO.

The main problem I have with MMOs is that I don't want to pay for a membership after I've tired of the game. With the newer MMOs, however, I'm more concerned about having the computer power to play them. I just don't think my unchanged in any way since purchase, 2-year old computer would have the power to run most upcoming MMOs. So, I settle for free, downloadables.

Currently the MMO I want to hear more on is a Firefly/Serenity game I've heard is under development.

Sephiroth
04-27-2007, 05:12 AM
Square Enix is developing a new MMORPG for PS3, 360, and Vista:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Untitled_Square_Enix_project

And there's Star Trek Online, slated for a Q4 2008 release:

http://www.startrekonline.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_Online

Sagat
04-27-2007, 11:35 AM
I can't believe no one is as excited about DarkFall online as much as I am

Black_Magician
04-27-2007, 01:50 PM
DarkFall...now that sounds familier ;)
I might be interested :p

Steee'heven
05-12-2007, 11:18 AM
Right now WoW holds the market for MMO's by the crotch.

Conan needs to really strike hard to take it imo. A lot of LoTR fans that i know who have went to play LoTR MMO but have went back to WoW because supposedly, and i havent played it so im going off of rumors, the game-play in LoTR is very similar to WoW but the areas right now are small and primitive. In my opinion i don't think LoTR cant take the market from WoW but im confident in Conan.

Some of my guildies in WoW are planning on setting up a guild in Conan and the build a city feature blows my mind. WoW seems to be the MMO with the weakest community interaction. Everquest had guild houses..WoW no...Conan and SWG can build cities within your guild community etc...WoW no....even Runescape has the ability to make your own house....WoW no.

Right now WoW is only level level level....grind grind grind...look i got a flying bird wit my moneyz....instances instances. Be innovative Blizzard.

And SFK rocks!

Regex
05-12-2007, 11:46 PM
Some of my guildies in WoW are planning on setting up a guild in Conan and the build a city feature blows my mind. WoW seems to be the MMO with the weakest community interaction. Everquest had guild houses..WoW no...Conan and SWG can build cities within your guild community etc...WoW no....even Runescape has the ability to make your own house....WoW no.
That's what you get from an MMO that has a more complete story. The cities are part of why I quit SWG.. Everyone built their cities and had to put them way out there.. It took away a lot of what I loved about the game at first, that being the immersion in a Star Wars universe.

Right now WoW is only level level level....grind grind grind...look i got a flying bird wit my moneyz....instances instances. Be innovative Blizzard.

And SFK rocks!I've never found that to be true. I love the leveling system in WoW. It gets you involved with the story, and progression is very interesting. As for grinding, I never have. I refuse to do it, and the game doesn't require it. End game gets boring, but I've been happy making a new character and playing with other friends.