PDA

View Full Version : Gamestop/EB games sucks.

Buruku
03-25-2007, 09:14 PM
Their prices suck, they sell used games for a couple bucks under brand new games. They offered someone I know 17 bucks for Call of duty III, (ridiculous) they pull crap like that all the time. I've decided to stop shopping there.

Do you go there? Your thoughts?

Ichiro Matsuchani
03-25-2007, 09:18 PM
Yes, they do suck.

Trying to resell games to them is pointless, since they never give a reasonable price with the games release to original price ratio. Unfortunately, that's the only kind of game store that I know of, and the only kind that you can find around my area.

The Blue Baron
03-25-2007, 09:32 PM
Only for selling games other wise for going to get games they probably the best it's better than going to walmart or target, when gamestop and EB games has a numorous amount of games and new games to select and buy.. so a rating i'd give them 9 out of 10.....

Sagat
03-25-2007, 09:41 PM
I have long hated their "buyback" system.. it is a total rip off.

If another store offered fairer prices, I'd definitely go to them. It's not like EB Games as monopolies on all the best games, I see them elsewhere as well. It's just that they're well known.

Zanethose
03-25-2007, 09:44 PM
Yes, their trade-in values suck, like we havent known that forever...

But seriously, they are one of the best chains when it comes to purchasing games. The prices may be the same, sure, but they arent gonna let you buy a game that isnt enjoyable unless you are incredibly set on buying it.

Also, they let reserve games on the very first notice that it is going to be released, allowing you to be ahead of most other people when it comes to getting your game. For example, Halo 3 could be reserved after the first story on it that contained a release date was published, and the option to change your reserve from, say, a special edition to a legendary edition is there.

Also, my brother gets paid from there, and he buys our food, so yea, theres a plus for me personally.

-Batman-
03-25-2007, 09:55 PM
if you're going to buy new/used games it's fine. Not many places sell used games (and for people with money troubles, it's an excellent alternative), and the new games they sell are the same price anywhere else you go.

As for selling, I only sell games that I don't want anymore. Rather than throw the game in the trash i'll get rid of it for some money.

Buruku
03-25-2007, 09:58 PM
The only thing I would use them for is looking for a game I havn't seen in other stores for awhile, but you can also go online for such things.

They have fewer price sales,( if any?) and their games are often more expensive then somewhere like target, circuit city or wal-mart. ( pls blv ppl, I've seen it with my own eyes) I just think its a shame that like the only real game store chain is just not that great.

Pre-ordering is over-rated imo.

Opinionated
03-25-2007, 10:19 PM
My options for buying games is pretty much Best Buy and EB Games. In my personal experience, there's not enough price difference between EB Games and Best Buy to make it worthwhile. I shop there enough to have gotten the rewards card. Also, the staff is very good about informing me if there's a used version and saving me the X amount of money for it.

I don't know about turning games in, because I tend to buy games and keep them for as long as I have the console. The last time I traded games in, it was my collection of GB and GBC games.

氷の動物
03-25-2007, 10:30 PM
Personally I only shop at EBstop if the game I want is an extremely unknown title... like a bunch of Atlus stuff, games that likely will not be found anywhere else. I also occasionally shop there if I know I can make out like a bandit... stuff like buy 2 get 1 free stacked with 10% off. I wouldn't touch trading in there ever though the prices they offer are completely ridiculous. Also I would say pre-orders are very rarely warranted as most titles can be found anywhere at launch and it is sometimes possible to get it from a major chain that is dropping the price during the release week.

Most of the time I usually look to http://www.cheapassgamer.com (http://www.cheapassgamer.com) for my gaming deal needs... you'd be surprised the amount of sales and clearances major chains do on video games... I've gotten some great stuff for rock bottom prices by checking that site every so often.

Regex
03-26-2007, 12:12 AM
Gamestop and EB both are great stores to at least look through. They have the best selection, because that's what they're dedicated to.

If you want to sell your games, don't sell it to a store. They won't give you what it's worth, because they want to make money. Sell it on eBay or something if you care so much to get rid of it.

I check lots of stores for prices when I want a game, and gamestop may not be the best prices, but the preorder system is great if you want to be sure that you'll get a game when it comes out. Most of all.. Don't go to Walmart. They're an evil corporation, and should not be supported.

Wolfwood
03-26-2007, 05:17 AM
they have good selections, but their prices are beat by mostly everyone. i usualy only go there to look, then shop for that game elsewhere ^^;
but if i cant find it in other places, i'll settle for buying it there.
they got rip-off deals with trade in's. "Trade in a ps2 and 20 ps2 games to save $300 on your ps3" ... 20 games? umm, how bout no :P

-Batman-
03-26-2007, 10:40 AM
"Trade in a ps2 and 20 ps2 games to save $300 on your ps3" ... 20 games? umm, how bout no :P

You know, you could easily deal with the 20 games thing if they aren't specific enough with the rules.
Metal Gear Solid 2 is only 2 dollars. Just buy 20 copies of it.

Wolfwood
03-26-2007, 10:47 AM
lol true. but they got a huge list of what they wont take. only about 2 of my games are on it, but i play them the most :P

BiggSam
03-26-2007, 10:50 AM
They are ok to buy from, but to sell games back they suck...i bought a game for thirty dollars from them, and when I went to sell it back i had a choice between $2.00 credit, or $.20 cash...major ripoff, but i took it because the store that didn't rip people off was bought out by EB.

GoreDude
03-26-2007, 04:17 PM
who wa then bouth out by gamestop. i actually like gamestop i don't care about the trade in values i just go there because the people at the only other gaming place in town were complete idiots and jerks. they treated me like i was an idiot verytime i went there now i just go to gamestopbecause the trade in values may stink but i do not get treated like i am stupid.

shinobi dog
03-26-2007, 04:42 PM
I shop at game or game stop

bakakame
03-26-2007, 06:13 PM
I like EB and Gamestop, good selection of games, option of used games, better anime selection than Wal Mart or Best Buy, or Target, and the sales staff is generally consisted of actual gamers with knoledge of the actual products.

As for prices, they cost the same as everywhere else, except Wal Mart which is usually about 50 cents cheaper. Plus they let you preorder.

Buruku
03-26-2007, 06:33 PM
As for prices, they cost the same as everywhere else, except Wal Mart which is usually about 50 cents cheaper.

This appears to be a common mistake. If you're poor like me then price compairing becomes important, and after comparing EB/Gamestops prices with almost everyone else I found a lot of games were cheaper elsewhere by at least $5, even newly released games.

Its not a big deal though, I just don't want people to think I'm making stuff up...

Jose
03-26-2007, 06:37 PM
i don't go there it's a like a wannabe gamestop

Yuu~Hashinai
03-26-2007, 06:39 PM
GameStop totally sucks. Try working there, it's worse. =/

-Batman-
03-26-2007, 07:15 PM
i don't go there it's a like a wannabe gamestop

As of last year, it is gamestop.

ParaParaJMo
03-26-2007, 09:20 PM
My cousin used to work at EB games near by my house. He told me that have ridiculous sales quotas. He also hated watching the EB TV all day and crap like that.

I mostly buy my games from GameCrazy or Best Buy or a local game store called GameZone where they sell imports.

氷の動物
03-26-2007, 09:58 PM
He also hated watching the EB TV all day and crap like that.

That EB TV thing is really annoying and I only spend like 30 minutes in there... and I swear in that amount of time it had already looped... I can't imagine listening to that all day. I had one job volunteering at a local museum back in high school and there was a karaoke machine there that always played children's songs like "B-I-N-G-O" and "The Ants Go Marching" and it was always on and thus I was forced to listen to it all day ... it damn near drove me to insanity.

Also I had heard about the sales quota thing before... I think they have one on like everything... edge cards, trade-ins, pre-orders, its ridiculous.

(_YvOnSo_)
03-26-2007, 10:44 PM
im not that much of a fan to Gamestop either

Daenerys
03-26-2007, 11:31 PM
GameStop totally sucks. Try working there, it's worse. =/
The only bad thing about working at gamestop is how they pay you.

MistaCloudStrife
04-03-2007, 02:11 AM
Theyre alright stores if you want to buy used games. The reason the prices for some games are only a few bucks below the prices of the new games is because it's just that... a new game that just came out. For tons of people, they just want to play the game, they don't really want to have it in mint, cherishing it for all eternity. So when the employee asks them, "oh instead of paying 50$ you can buy a used one for 45$, would you want that?" someone in the world is bound to say "Yes, I would like to save 5$ and an additional 10% less than that because of my uber cool gamestop card that only works on used games."

And plus, you can find some rare games too... I bought Intelligent Qube, Xenogears and Lunar SSSC used there. I remember seeing Valkyrie Profile too, but I was too broke at the time to get it. Some other (lucky) person got it... -_-

nickinerdface
04-03-2007, 07:18 AM
Everytime I get a game from GameStop, it usually has to be taken back and returned for another because it doesn't work. I'm scared to buy games there because of how often I buy ones that don't work. I perfer buying my games over the internet off Amazon or buying them from EB. I know EB and GS are like the same company, but for some reason, that game store actually has games that work? I don't get it either. Not to mention, the people are the GS here are incredibly rude. I just don't care for GameStop much at all.

MomijiTMO
04-03-2007, 07:54 AM
Yeah EB prices are at the RRP in Australia, and that sucks. I shop at JB HiFi cause their prices are like 10 to 15 bucks cheaper and that is a good thing.

Light Buster
04-03-2007, 10:12 AM
Well, Gamestop is my only choice to shop if I want to reserve a game, sell a game, or look for a new game at a low price.

Khanxay
04-03-2007, 10:27 AM
I have about 2 Gamestops within walking range so I frequent them often, look at all the games the look down in shame because I'm too poor to buy any. I need a job.

I usually can't find the games I want. Right now, I'm looking for a copy of DOA4 but none of the Gamestops have them. Nor the Toys R Us, or the pawn shops. And Walmart never has anything I want.

They should make a UsedGameStop or something, dedicated to older games and consoles.

wolfgirl90
04-09-2007, 04:09 PM
Usually, EB Games/ Gamestop would be the place to look for old games and consoles. Although I sometimes don't like the amount of money I get off my traded-in games, I understand why.

1. As soon as you buy a game (or anything for that matter), the value has gone down since they have to sell the game again. Which one is more valuable: a game straight from the distributor or one that was owned by someone else? Even if you bought a brand new Twilight Princess and played it for only 2 days and traded it in, the fact that it was owned by someone else has brought its value down. Its no longer worth the $50 you payed for it. And the longer you have it, the less it's worth.

2. They have a company to run. They can't give you the full price of the game (what they give you is slightly more than half its value). To make up for the money they gave you, they raise the price of the game so that they not only make up for the money they gave you but also gain a profit. You can get more money if you have a More Card (this gives you 10% more trade-in value on your games). Plus, you get more credit than cash (again they can't just give away money).

If trade-in games with EB Games/Gamestop, just understand that they need to run a company (a very large one at that) and can't give you the price you paid for it but only a "reasonable" price for it.....sometimes.

-Batman-
04-09-2007, 08:31 PM
sually can't find the games I want. Right now, I'm looking for a copy of DOA4 but none of the Gamestops have them. Nor the Toys R Us, or the pawn shops. And Walmart never has anything I want.

I went to Gamestop today actually...
I actually got the last Copies of DOA4 (I TOOK YER GAME LAWL), Tomb Raider: Legend, and Viva Pinata. I hit luck!

Gouki
04-11-2007, 10:17 PM
I think that gamestop and EB is not the place to go to sell/buy games. I think its best to go to game craze. They give you a good price for buying and selling used games.

unspun
04-11-2007, 10:21 PM
Gamestop, Eb Games all of them suck, but then again, rummage sales don't give warranties on their stuff either. Try GameCrazy. they're through Hollywood video. they tend to give you more on your trade-ins, but it's all going to be the same thing. You could always try amazon too. I get some really good deals on Amazon.

bakakame
04-12-2007, 01:00 AM
I have about 2 Gamestops within walking range so I frequent them often, look at all the games the look down in shame because I'm too poor to buy any. I need a job.

I usually can't find the games I want. Right now, I'm looking for a copy of DOA4 but none of the Gamestops have them. Nor the Toys R Us, or the pawn shops. And Walmart never has anything I want.

They should make a UsedGameStop or something, dedicated to older games and consoles.

A little over a year ago I had the exact opposite problem. I already had DOA4 (and Madden 06) but couldn't find a 360 anywhere.

Muchitsujo Akumu
04-12-2007, 06:04 PM
My opinion. I have to say selling games there sucks. Big time. Otherwise I really don't care. As long as I get the game I'm after and it works. I myself AM GOLD! >Pose! Cameras take pictures of his awesomeness.<

nickinerdface
05-01-2007, 06:31 AM
Someone should dedicate to my video game collection or lack there of. Just sayin'.

razzen88
05-13-2007, 12:31 AM
I wouldnt say that they suck but I would never buy a used game there.

One time I went and bought a rather large load of used games, went immediately home, and found that they were ALL scratched to heck. So I go back and ask if they can fix it. The nice man at the counter tells me, "Well we try to fix all the games but I guess we missed a few, you can only get scratches taken out for free if you bring them back in half an hour." Unfortunately I missed the chance SO I had to pay an extra 20 bucks to have the etches taken out :banghead:

Saint Mana
05-16-2007, 03:23 PM
EB Games is... quite possibly the most money grubbing corporation out there that manages to disguise itself as a friendly and 'cool' complany.
They are the darkness. Incarnate, even.
This is even more so for people anal about the condition of their game cases. Like me. For instance, when buying a used game, they plaster tags all over the case, even if it is collectors, thus driving me crazy.

However, if one happens to work at EB Games it can be very much a dream come true, except for the lousy pay. And as luck would have it, I do work at EB Games.
As such, I can explain to you in detail why they do they retarded things they do. I will do so briefly on some areas.

Why does EB Games constantly push used games, and give you crappy deals on trade-in values?

Well, that is because they make a profit of around 3% on new game sales, and 0% profit on consoles. Used game and used console sales rake in 60% profit margins, give or take. This is also the reason why the puch Edge Cards, GPGs and PRPs so very heavily onto you.
That being said, the Edge Card and the GPG are really a good deal, the PRP, however, is not.
GPGs are the one year warranty on games, and the PRPs are the one year warranty on consoles.

Being an employee of EB Games gets you 15% of all games in the store, combined with an Edge Card that goes up to 25% of used games. In addition to that you get first dibs on every game traded in, which means those extremely rare ones that morons trade in for a pittance, and all new games and consoles.
THAT is why I work for EB Games. Well, that and the money, and that I get to talk about games and anime all day.

So if you have any questions, rants, of WTFs about EB Games, ask me, via PM or this thread, and I'll tell you what is running through their evil minds while they screw you.

One last thing, do not ever, EVER, buy the one year warranty on a console other than the Xbox 360 from EB Games. It is a horrific and overpriced waste of money. If your console breaks down, they will give you a refurbished one instead of a new one. You have Microsoft to blame for that. They are also to blame for the price increase in the warranties at EB.
Way to be Bill, way to be.

Regex
05-16-2007, 05:37 PM
I'll say it again. EB/Gamestop is good to shop at. Used games can be better prices.

But yeah, you get ripped off if you try to bring in a used game. Just sell it on ebay or Craigslist if you want to offload an old game.

One last thing, do not ever, EVER, buy the one year warranty on a console other than the Xbox 360 from EB Games. It is a horrific and overpriced waste of money. If your console breaks down, they will give you a refurbished one instead of a new one. You have Microsoft to blame for that. They are also to blame for the price increase in the warranties at EB.
Way to be Bill, way to be.I'd like to remind you all. My NES is still running strong. My SNES is doing very well. My DS has been through hell, in my pocket and everything. Still works very well. Nintendo does a great job, and takes care of their customers. I don't think you should ever need to get an extended warranty for anything Nintendo.

nickinerdface
05-24-2007, 08:15 AM
SNES!!!!!!!!!!!!! i wish i still had mine. it had the best rpgs ever. ever.

don't even try to compare sega genesis to the snes i will punch you in the face

Gaarademon
05-24-2007, 10:40 AM
i used to go to gamestop but its always too crowded so igo to gamecrazy
from now on or circit city...YEAH

Storm Strife
05-24-2007, 11:21 AM
don't even try to compare sega genesis to the snes i will punch you in the face
Why would I want to do that? it's better to talk about the TURBODUO! Other consoles DON'T EVEN COMPARE!!

xXAltairXx
05-24-2007, 11:38 AM
I dont know what gamestop you people be going to but ours is a fair place, high price for new games and discounted prices for used games. Used game prices differ upon the damage or the reason it was sold. Each scratch the price is lowered by 10 bucks wethere they are bad or minor scratches.

Kyo Kusanagi
05-25-2007, 03:57 AM
Its not a bad store, but you have to shop there selectively. Either when they have a trade in promotion (extra 10 dollars in credit for 3 games) or a purchase promotion (of most recent, buy 2 used games get 1 free).

I have a lot of games that wouldn't sell for me than a buck, but that extra credit trade in makes it salvagable. Just make sure you're informed of these events.