PDA

View Full Version : Queens of the Stone Age

Manhattan_Project_2000
03-14-2007, 11:16 AM
Queens of the Stone Age

Genre: Stoner Rock, Garage

Members:
The most recent line up is:
Joshua Homme - Vocals/Guitar/Bass (1997–present)
Troy Van Leeuwen - Guitar/Lap Steel/Keyboards/Bass/Vocals (2002–present)
Joey Castillo - Drums (2002–present)
Alain Johannes - Bass/Guitar/Vocals (2005–Present)

Former members include Dave Grohl, Mark Lanegan, Nick Oliveri, and Matt Cameron.

Favorite Songs:
“Auto Pilot” from Rated R
“Better Living Through Chemicals” from Rated R
“Go with the Flow” from Songs for the Deaf
“You Think I Ain’t Worth a Dollar, but I Feel Like a Million” from Songs for the Deaf
“Mosquito Song” From Songs for the Deaf
“Medication” from Lullabies to Paralyze
“Everybody Knows That You Are Insane” from Lullabies to Paralyze
“In My Head” from Lullabies to Paralyze
“Mexicola” from Over the River and Through the Woods (Live Album)

How Long They’ve Been Playing: 10 Years.

Difficulty to Find: Their latter 3 albums (Songs for the Deaf, Lullabies to Paralyze, Over the River and Through the Woods) should be in any CD store. Rated R can be found, but you may have to look around for it. Their self titled album is very hard to find.

Ayumi Momoshi
03-14-2007, 11:26 AM
At times I wish I had a band because I like making lyrics since i write poems. Post some of your bands music I'll listen to probably any type of music other than country... bad experience anyways ROCK ON !! =P

Manhattan_Project_2000
03-14-2007, 12:15 PM
Umm. It's not my band.

Luzifer
03-14-2007, 01:57 PM
Queens of the stongage isn't a bad band...I've only listened to Rated R and I thought it was pretty good but they have one member (i think its the bassist) who write really bad songs. I believe on of those songs on rated R went "Little gir/Walking down street..." something something a lot of screaming and nothing really of musical value. But their main writer is really good. I love Leg of Lamb and Keeping a Secret

Slumber
03-14-2007, 03:08 PM
They're pretty cool. And I'm excited for Era Vulgaris.

Manhattan_Project_2000
03-14-2007, 03:22 PM
Queens of the stongage isn't a bad band...I've only listened to Rated R and I thought it was pretty good but they have one member (i think its the bassist) who write really bad songs. I believe on of those songs on rated R went "Little gir/Walking down street..." something something a lot of screaming and nothing really of musical value. But their main writer is really good. I love Leg of Lamb and Keeping a Secret

Without looking, I'm pretty sure it's Nick Oliveri. He was a much better Singer on Songs for the Deaf, but he has since left the band.

The song you are talking about is "Quick and to the Pointless" and the titles pretty much an apt discription. QotSA song's are sometimes more about the music itself then the lyrics, and I think it does pretty good job as a manic set up for the more mellow "In the Fade."

Ryth
03-14-2007, 04:10 PM
I have Rated R, Songs For The Deaf, and Lullabies To Paralyze. Good band, namely Songs For The Deaf that album is more or less flawless and I still listen to it all the time. Rated R was decent in my opinion but I felt they achieved more with SFTD, and "Feel Good Hit Of The Summer" was terrible, and it didn't deserve the reprise it got in the song "In The Fade"(?). Lullabies To Paralyze is easily their worst, it has a couple great tracks, but too much forgettable filler. They should've cut the album in half and leave out the majority of that filler. I hope they can give us something great with their upcominmg album.

At times I wish I had a band because I like making lyrics since i write poems. Post some of your bands music I'll listen to probably any type of music other than country... bad experience anyways ROCK ON !! =P

What the bloody hell are you talking about?

Slumber
03-14-2007, 04:28 PM
"Feel Good Hit Of The Summer" was terrible.

What the bloody hell are you talking about?

"Nicotine, valium, vicodin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol...C-c-c-cocaiiiiin!"

Ryth
03-14-2007, 04:42 PM
You're lucky this forum has rules. :p

Manhattan_Project_2000
03-14-2007, 05:00 PM
Feel Good Hit of the Summer... You either love it or hate it. I kind of like the song myself, but I can understand why people feel otherwise.

As for Lullabies To Paralyze, at first I though it was pretty weak too. I started listening to it more, and I changed my mind. Sure, there are some songs that aren't very good (Tangled up in plaid, Skin on Skin, Broken Box, and "You got a killer scene there man..." specifically) but the rest is either a Great or Epic on the Awesomeness Scale.

Ryth
03-14-2007, 05:27 PM
Meh, I listened to it a couple of times. It really couldn't do it for me past the mediorce level. That's just me though.

Manhattan_Project_2000
04-22-2007, 10:01 AM
Yay! I finally submitted to the pressure and downloaded their self-titled. How to Handle a Rope, Avon, Mexicola, You Can't Quit Me Baby, Regular John and I was a Teenage Hand Model are all really, really awesome.

I'm still meaning to get the song Era Vulgaris (They said they want it spread, or else I wouldn't) which, apparently, features Trent Reznor.

BoldMushroom
06-07-2007, 01:14 PM
QOTSA's new album, Era Vulgaris, can be streamed in its entirety at MuchMusic.com.

Link (http://www.muchmusic.com/music/firstspin/queensofthestoneage/)

Not sure how long this will be the case, so listen while you can. I've given it about three spins so far, and I like it a lot. I'm not too familiar with the band, as I've only heard about seven songs of theirs (a friend connected me with a few of their albums, but I haven't listened to them yet), but the new album seems pretty different from their earlier works.

Abstract Me
06-07-2007, 05:16 PM
I'm still meaning to get the song Era Vulgaris (They said they want it spread, or else I wouldn't) which, apparently, features Trent Reznor.

Ah!
*downloads*

Slumber
06-07-2007, 07:11 PM
Era Vulgaris is awesome. Face to face with NIN's latest for my current favorite album, of 07'.

Ryth
06-07-2007, 07:15 PM
Really, I listened to it and thought it was pretty underwhelming.

Slumber
06-07-2007, 08:31 PM
To each their own.

Manhattan_Project_2000
06-08-2007, 10:46 PM
Really, I listened to it and thought it was pretty underwhelming.

I haven't, but even if all the magazines giving it 4 to 4 1/2 stars are wrong, and you and Entertainment Weekly are correct it will have been worth it, if only for Sick, Sick, Sick (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcXCaXz0GbU). (Posted by the band, so it's not Copyright infringing)

Ryth
06-08-2007, 11:23 PM
I think you'll like it, Manhatten Project, but I think it's in the same field as Lullabies To Paralyze for me. To be fair, I haven't listened to it as much as I should, but I certainly will.

Manhattan_Project_2000
06-13-2007, 01:03 AM
Regarding Era Vulgaris:

EPIC

Oh, and this is about the best description of the band and the album ever: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:jvfyxz85ldse

Tsuna Kadiri
06-16-2007, 03:47 PM
I really want their new album. I've listened to bits and pieces of it so far and I really like it. Seems worth the buy.

Their song Turnin' on the Screw reminds me of something STP would have done (sort of like a combo of Lounge Fly off of their Purple album and Ride the Cliche off of Tiny Music). And for that I instantly like it. I'm a sucker for that kind of sound.

Masali
06-16-2007, 06:00 PM
Just got Era Vulgaris today. I share MP2K's thoughts:

Epic indeed.

"Sick, Sick, Sick" is outstanding. "I'm really likin' "I'm a Designer" too and of course "3's and 7's"

Ryth
06-16-2007, 06:38 PM
Ok, so I really have to give this album another listen it seems.

Masali
06-16-2007, 11:36 PM
I might be liking this album on the same level as MP2k, since I've been listening to it all day (and I got it this morning at 2PM...which is morning for me) and it's now 12:36 AM.