PDA

View Full Version : Who is the Greatest Swordsman in All of Anime?

WhatIsAUserName
03-13-2007, 08:56 PM
Please discuss. And not just fighting ability alone, factor in things like intelligence, speed, etc. And looks :D Just kidding! Though I do have to admit, that seems to be a significant factor.

I know there was a thread about this a year ago, that's the only thing I could find when I searched.

Poll should be coming.

EDIT: Personally, I would choose Mihawk. It's obvious bullets wouldn't be effective, since he deflects them with ease. With that enormous sword, he sliced up 50 entire ships of Don Krieg's armada. And he could still fight without it, see his duel with Zoro. He used a knife that had a blade of maybe 1 inch? There's only a few people on that list who would have the ability to sail halfway around the world (well, from the Grand Line to the East Blue) on a dingy raft, and still be able to cut down bloodthirsty pirates.

Of course, knowing Mihawk, he'll actually want somebody to surpass him. But for me, that's not large enough of a factor.

-Batman-
03-13-2007, 09:01 PM
Tied between Gatsu and Deadpool.

Jagan Eye
03-13-2007, 09:47 PM
I'm going with Kenshin because he is a pure swordsman. His sword doesn't have any special powers or anything which makes him cooler because its just a sword and a guy.

-Batman-
03-13-2007, 10:15 PM
I'm going with Kenshin because he is a pure swordsman. His sword doesn't have any special powers or anything which makes him cooler because its just a sword and a guy.

No special powers? HE has special powers.

Koshiro
03-13-2007, 10:57 PM
Sephiroth hands down.

My reason in two words: "Super Nova"

MistaCloudStrife
03-14-2007, 02:54 AM
Well Gatts isn't in there, and that's who popped into my head first... but then I saw Cloud. So Cloud...

It's actually pretty unfair when you place Cloud in the list after we all know what he can do.

And Gatts because... Well he was the Century slayer. Killed 100 men one after another in one night all by himself. And now... he fights monsters constantly usually without rest, and when he IS rested he pwns them like nothing. And he also wears a nifty berserker armor. He can take on gods. Need I say more?

And they both got some big swords.... >=) 1st sword and the dragonslayer.

ino_09
03-14-2007, 03:15 AM
i think its kenshin

he has a super talent

and he lives to save others life

and he has a super friends

and he's a super samurai

and other is inuyasha

but he is a half monster

yaah...

-Batman-
03-14-2007, 03:21 AM
[COLOR="Plum"]post

Err...Wha?

http://www.animeforum.com/image/3039245f7b015d25a3.jpg (http://www.animeforum.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=6687)
Super friends?

氷の動物
03-14-2007, 03:23 AM
I'd have to go with Guts (aka. The Black Swordsman) from Berserk... because he is basically one of the most extreme warriors I've ever come across in a manga. I mean he can chop somebody wearing full on armor in half as well as stone pillars with a single swing... plus he fights giant demons with all kinds of twisted and messed up powers. Not to mention he is also awesome with a crossbow and has a cannon in his arm.

Plus the opening scene of the manga basically attests to his extreme hardcoreness: When Guts is having an intimate moment with a female who turns into a demon and laughs about Guts "Falling into it's trap" only to have Guts ram his cannon arm into its mouth and blow a hole through it's head. Classic.

kyubichan
03-14-2007, 06:28 AM
Kuchiki Byakuya.

He knows how to handle his personal relations and separates it from his responsibilities at work. He likes going against an enemy one-on-one, if possible, to make sure that the battlefield is level.

And he looks good.

Moonlight Dreamer
03-14-2007, 06:56 AM
Tied between cloud and kenshin for me.

woogy
03-14-2007, 08:13 AM
I would have to say they are all excellent swordsman, but i have a tie between Cloud Strife, Sephiroth and Ichigo Kurosaki (I believe it is an O not an A, although i could be wrong). All are very powerful, and swing around a massive sword, how could you not lose????

-Batman-
03-14-2007, 01:01 PM
how could you not lose????

http://www.animeforum.com/image/3039245f834eb6e40f.jpg (http://www.animeforum.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=6743)

That's how.

-Bigger sword than cloud (At least it appears to be)
-More built then anyone else on that list.
-His arm is a crossbow AND and ARM CANNON.
-He's the anime equivilent of the Hulk and that bondage dude from the thunderbolts combined. The more you piss him off, and the more you injure him, the better he fights and the stronger he gets.
-Actual ARMOR. Most of the other swordsman up there just stick to cloth.
-Amazing Stamina. Enough so that he can just keep fighting and fight and fighting and fighting like the energizer bunny of badassery.

And I'd like to see cloud, sephiroth, inuyasha, or any other weilder of a large sword hold their sword in their teeth and still be able to kill a demon without the use of his arms or magic.

Oh, and one more thing. His hair doesn't defy the laws of gravity.

Haibara
03-14-2007, 03:50 PM

I too vote Kenshin for the same reasons. He mastered the technique of Battojutsu and became a technical master of the Hiten Mitsurugi-Ryu swordstyle. It's all skill, no special powers at all.

MistaCloudStrife
03-14-2007, 04:21 PM
http://www.animeforum.com/image/3039245f834eb6e40f.jpg (http://www.animeforum.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=6743)

That's how.

-Bigger sword than cloud (At least it appears to be)
-More built then anyone else on that list.
-His arm is a crossbow AND and ARM CANNON.
-He's the anime equivilent of the Hulk and that bondage dude from the thunderbolts combined. The more you piss him off, and the more you injure him, the better he fights and the stronger he gets.
-Actual ARMOR. Most of the other swordsman up there just stick to cloth.
-Amazing Stamina. Enough so that he can just keep fighting and fight and fighting and fighting like the energizer bunny of badassery.

And I'd like to see cloud, sephiroth, inuyasha, or any other weilder of a large sword hold their sword in their teeth and still be able to kill a demon without the use of his arms or magic.

Oh, and one more thing. His hair doesn't defy the laws of gravity.

Eh... Cloud can wield his swords easily with one hand whereas Gatts needs support from his other hand... or magnet hand, to make full use of his power.

Plus cloud can jump insanely high, cut through buildings like butter and move really fast now thanks to the movie. And this was all without the use of materia.

Kenpachi and Gatts would actually be a good matchup imo.

Drascin
03-14-2007, 04:24 PM
It's a tie for favorite against Kenshin and Gatsu here. Kenshin because, as said, managed to master a technique created for people far more strong than him with no powers or special abilities to speak of, and managed to become one of the best swordsmen in the world with that absolutely incompatible style. That takes some skill.

And Gatsu because... well, he's Gatsu. I don't know what the hell that man's made of, but I'm pretty sure it has something to do with gamma radiations. I don't care what the comics say, that is not something a human can do, training or not. I mean, he wields a freaking dragonslayer, sometimes even one-handed, like it was a breeze... Oh, and seems to be able to take a direct cannon hit and survive.

Korobi
03-14-2007, 05:26 PM
Definitely Kenshin because he's just awesome. There are no words to describe it. He is the best and always will be. He completely changes when he's fighting. He becomes, strong, fast, and lethal. I also like him because he's trying to repent for what he's done. He is a true samurai.

-Batman-
03-14-2007, 05:53 PM
Eh... Cloud can wield his swords easily with one hand whereas Gatts needs support from his other hand... or magnet hand, to make full use of his power.

Two hands look cooler.

Plus cloud can jump insanely high, cut through buildings like butter and move really fast now thanks to the movie. And this was all without the use of materia.

Screw cloud. Gattsu is more manly.
Besides, cloud has magic. Gattsu only has awsomeness.

Regex
03-14-2007, 05:56 PM
Much as I can respect Guts, magic can only make someone more awesome.

Besides, Guts was a crazy emo jerk, and I didn't like Berserk anyway.

MistaCloudStrife
03-14-2007, 06:06 PM
Two hands look cooler.

He has a magic... kinda of. The berserker armor amplifies his strength enough to take on gods. Although it hurts him back in the end. So it's not all his strength. Magical armor counts as magic. =P

Plus the one eyed swordsman would have a huge disadvantage against the two-eyed Cloud.

Mugetsu
03-14-2007, 06:46 PM
Kenshin for skill.
Guts for just overall intestine spilling awsomeness.
Cloud for video game swordsman.

But If you had them all in an all out melee... I would have to say the winner is any representative from Bleach. After all they are basically spirits that can affect the physical world. You can't see them so it would be kind of hard to defend yourself. Not really fair.

EonKid
03-17-2007, 07:13 PM
I went with cloud to be the greatest swordsman only because there is no voteing spot for Jubei from Ninja Scroll.

:ninja: :ninja: :ninja:

Yasuke Shodaime
03-18-2007, 01:15 AM
I picked cloud he's the best

Creed~Diskenth
03-18-2007, 01:22 AM
Roronoa Zoro - reason being;
"World's greatest swordsman." His ultimate goal is to surpass Mihawk and the majority would agree with my belief. He improves with every coming episode and every challenge. Plus, he's stylish and the infamous name – “Zoro The Pirate Hunter” brings many enemies for him to defeat every time.

WhatIsAUserName
03-20-2007, 09:48 PM
Yes, Zolo may be powerful, but he's still yet to surpass Mihawk. Breaking Haku's Amanedachi may be something big, and pulling off the feat known only as 'Ashura' is something just as significant, but he's still nowhere near the point where he can boast about slicing apart battleships.

The Blue Baron
03-20-2007, 11:47 PM
roronoa zoro this guy is just really good i mean three swords, and to everyone who thinks magic makes someone cooler than guys with just pure strength and skill that are kicking *** there lame and dumb..-_-

Riina-chan
03-25-2007, 07:04 AM
I would vote Guts or Serpico from Berserk but they aren't on the list so I voted Jin. Cool samurai. But still Guts and Serpico are better... XD

shikamaruluv13
03-25-2007, 08:56 AM
zolo(zoro) is the best in my opion because he uses three swords at once and mastered doing that,none of the other swordsman can do that but kenshin is definitly in the category

Rowloman
03-26-2007, 10:08 AM
As far as skill alone goes, I'd go with Kenshin or Kyo, as far as power and all that goes I'd go with Hiei.

napalmgod
03-26-2007, 01:32 PM
Kenshin rules... end of story

Cant put it more simple than that

Wandering Samurai
03-26-2007, 02:17 PM
hmmm I'd have to pick Himurai Kenshin. In all his battles he thinks on his toes and he has the soul of a man slayer. He is the greatest swordsman in my eyes.

(_YvOnSo_)
03-26-2007, 02:28 PM
i just vote for Inuyasha i love his sword

Ayumi Momoshi
03-26-2007, 03:26 PM
I think they should put people up with Large swords like Bonkotsu and Zabuza large swords may be heavy but they're AWSOME!!!

or they might not be heavy you jus need a lil muscule

( did I spell any of this right???)

Baka
03-26-2007, 06:39 PM
I like Jin. It's more his personality that I like though.

Yuu~Hashinai
03-26-2007, 06:40 PM
Zoro! x3

Batz
03-28-2007, 12:50 AM
I go with Gatts, because even if he does lose, he'll go out in a blaze of glory so big anyone would be proud of him.

However, if Cloud has his Knights of the Round Materia, then he can summon them, and his enemy has to wait through like ten minutes of boredom over and over and over and over and over and over.......again.

storm sworder
03-28-2007, 04:37 PM
Cloud. He is so powerful that he was able to defeat the undefeatable Sephiroth. There was no way Cloud would have won in Advent Children if he fought only for himself. My bro said Cloud's weapon as a whole weighs around 70 lbs. If thats true, he must be wearing some kind of materia, cuz no human can wield a weapon that heavy. Only lift it. I can wield a twenty lbs anything pretty quickly, but 70?! Still, he's the best.

Spectre
04-03-2007, 05:27 PM
....I'd say Himura Kenshin hands down....He has no special powers....no special blade....Okay....the reverse blade has an advantge when combo'd w/ his style but thats it.....

MistaCloudStrife
04-04-2007, 12:35 AM
Everyone who's voting for Kenshin DOES know that Himura Kenshin won't win against Hajime Saito right?

You guys vote for the most popular person, seriously... If you actually read the manga or seen the anime, Himura Kenshin was no match for Saito. Only in the form of the Battousai was he an even match for him. So either change the name to the Battousai, or know that Himura Kenshin isn't all that great. He has a blunt edged sword, he does have special powers. Maybe not so special in his world, but when compared to our world it would be called "special" to have a godspeed ability. Not to mention an ability to hit 13 vital points at once, and draw a sword faster than a blink of an eye.

Light Buster
04-06-2007, 11:47 AM
Above everyone, Kyo.

AnkoMitarashi
04-06-2007, 12:20 PM
I choose Cloud but I also like Kenshin.

Toastie
04-07-2007, 07:14 AM
Post removed due to language.

Star_Scream
04-07-2007, 07:20 AM
hey! my vote is fur kenshin.... he has both speed and intelligence....

Andros36
04-07-2007, 09:15 AM
What are you all talking about sephiroth is the best. His sword can reach almost anywhere.:D

ParaParaJMo
04-07-2007, 09:50 AM
Yeah, other beings have magical powers and all that stuff but Gatsu fights people from the supernatural world ALL THE TIME and he beats them with 10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power and will, 5% pleasure, 50% pain, and 100% reason to remember the name. With his Berserker armor, he's 100x more unstoppable than the Juggernaut.

~Sakura Haruno~
04-13-2007, 10:33 AM
hmm Kenshin even that i've seen him just one time..but a good sword man is Zoro(one piece) too...or not :P?

Lil~Shawty~Gurl
04-13-2007, 12:27 PM
Himura owns everybody :-D

Crimson Phoenix
04-17-2007, 08:01 PM
I say Himura Kenshin because he has no powers, just speed gained from many MANY years of training hard, his sword isn't special either, just a reverse-blade (sakabato)... pure swordsman.

Ranna
04-17-2007, 08:20 PM
i would have to say Himura Kenshin because he knows what he's doing
i'm not saying that the others dont know what their doing but Kenshin has kill alot of people and now he saves lives so he has to know what he's doing if he wants to protect the people he loves
and the biger the sword the harder it is to direct its movments

Yuuki Kurosu
04-22-2007, 07:23 PM
I like many other swordsman..but I have to say Kenshin-sama for sure..I hace too many reasons to count.

gunslingergirl_
04-22-2007, 07:38 PM
well i chose sephiroth because i love final fantasy 7. but then again i also like bleach and i would have choosen byakagya kuchiki, but i love final fantasy 7 more.

maximillian_cross
04-23-2007, 12:03 PM
Definitely Sephiroth, no one can match his skills. With that Masamune and his god-like powers to accompany his swordsmanship. I'd say he's the best there is.

The only one to be able to beat him is his counterpart, Genesis.

Lunafreya Fleuret
04-24-2007, 07:19 AM
Two reasons upon my choosing of Cloud. xP His frigging huge sword and how he makes it so easy to weild. The other, that last attack that he made on Sephy in the AC. v.v; I forgot what it was called though..