PDA

View Full Version : Do transformation sequences bother you?

小美ドクロchan
02-08-2007, 11:10 AM
A lot of people seem to hate them but I personally love them. To me it's the peak of the well.....MAGICAL feeling in the entire episode. I never get tired of watching them. I think they are amazing.:)

It defines the genre like "YES, this is mahou shoujo, be dazzled by it!" :laugh:

BSSM619
02-08-2007, 01:58 PM
Nope, sometime I like to rewind it, to
see it all over again. I like how the
transformation sequence is so pretty
and sometime colorful, is one of the reason
I like this genre.

Capernicus
02-08-2007, 02:00 PM
I usually find myself criticising the retarded poses the characters is in by the end of the sequence. But secretly....

<.<

>.>

I love it.

Ωmega
02-08-2007, 02:11 PM
I usually find myself criticising the retarded poses the characters is in by the end of the sequence. But secretly....

<.<

>.>

I love it.
lol, Im right there with you Cappy <33
Truth be told, I love transformation sequences. In fact, I have all the sailor moon transformations memorized. I could probably imatate them all too...cause Im a loser.

Famahama
02-08-2007, 02:18 PM
I like to watch some and i hate some .

Kristen
02-08-2007, 02:21 PM
When they become CONSTANT, yes. Like, Sailor Moon has transformation sequences, but they change once in awhile. Or they play different music, or something. It's not constantly the same thing over and over and over. =\

Famahama
02-08-2007, 02:23 PM
Mostly from sailor moon and Akazukin Cha-cha (i think)

Mugetsu
02-08-2007, 02:29 PM
Ok...um...transformation scenes are fine under certain circumstances. Here are a few of them.

-If your alone when you transform
-If only your friends/allies are around
-If its some new transformation that no one has seen before

However I hate seeing them in the middle of a fight. Unless it is of the "new, surprising, power up" variety. Here you are in this heated battle with your rival and your telling me that they are going to patiently wait for 10-15 seconds to allow you to transform and beat them? That just doesnt make sense.

Someone should come up with something fun for the villains to do while they wait on these transformations.

Ωmega
02-08-2007, 02:47 PM
Ok...um...transformation scenes are fine under certain circumstances. Here are a few of them.

-If your alone when you transform
-If only your friends/allies are around
-If its some new transformation that no one has seen before

However I hate seeing them in the middle of a fight. Unless it is of the "new, surprising, power up" variety. Here you are in this heated battle with your rival and your telling me that they are going to patiently wait for 10-15 seconds to allow you to transform and beat them? That just doesnt make sense.

Someone should come up with something fun for the villains to do while they wait on these transformations.
Someone made a little comic strip about how the SM transformations take too long, and that the enemies should just attack her while trasnforming. Ami-chan goes on to explain that trasnformations take just a second but they made the transformations all pretty and frilly for the fans =3
I think that makes perfect sense. I'll see if I can find the comic...

Korobi
02-08-2007, 02:52 PM
I'm one of those people who hates them. I get so tired of it. They seem to take forever to me. I mean it doesn't bother me if I see the transfomation like once or twice, but if it's anymore than that I get sick of them.

Buruku
02-08-2007, 03:42 PM
I always liked transformation sequences in magical girl anime, but I couldn't stand the ones in some mecha shows, like when the bots are turning into something else, booooriing. So, its fine if its KAwaII!

Princess Hoshi
02-08-2007, 05:08 PM
Oh, I'm just like some of you guys, too! I love to watch transformation sequences. ^^- I have no idea why, and I'll be watching it over and over again, because of how amazing and beautiful they can be. =D

pyre
02-08-2007, 05:29 PM
Someone made a little comic strip about how the SM transformations take too long, and that the enemies should just attack her while trasnforming. Ami-chan goes on to explain that trasnformations take just a second but they made the transformations all pretty and frilly for the fans =3

Oooh, so that's why. I used to wonder, "Heck, why don't those bad guys they're fighting just be smart and attack whilst the transformation?"
That cleared up things...

So yeah, I do like the transformations, though sometimes I feel that some are too long. Or sometimes it becomes tedious when the exact same change keeps repeating.

wolfgirl90
02-08-2007, 06:14 PM
I don't mind transformation sequences when they do it once in an episode....and just once (like losing their powers for some reason and then getting more strength and being able to fight again). Also, I don't like it when there are multiple "full" transformations (as if I need to watch 7 people transform) although sometimes they shorten it (and then I can tolerate it again).

mali-chan
02-11-2007, 06:44 AM
i like them for a little while but as the seires goes on i just wnt to skip through it cuz i already know what happens when they transform and not what happens when they fight.

Sailor Chibimoon
02-13-2007, 08:51 PM
Transformation sequences are like the whole point of magical girl shows....without them, the series wouldn't be magical girl genre.

ancientsilence
02-14-2007, 08:10 PM
Jeffery Anderson did one, it's at his website http://www.sailorenergy.net, under the information center.
Personally, the only thing I've ever liked about the transformations sequences is that they're shiny. And glittery, usually. But the whole idea of a transformation sequence just never got through to me. I've always just seen it as filler. And NO, transformation sequences do not make magical girl anime magical girl. See Card Captor Sakura/Cardcaptors. Sakura has some of the best costumes around, if not the best, but all of them are hand-made, and she puts them on just like you or me, the show just doesn't show it. There are others, I know, but magical girl anime isn't something I usually watch. Manga, sometimes, sure. But there are no transformation sequences that I am aware of in manga for the magical girl genre. All simply switch to their costume automatically. The only transformations sequences that I am aware of that come close to the magical girl thing in manga (excluding transformations between very different forms, such as human to animal), are the two transformations shown for Kohaku and Koryu in Wish in the first volume(and both are a two page splash panel).

Cure_Violet
02-14-2007, 08:49 PM
Nope! I totally like watching transformations from Magical Girl shows! And I like the genre, too. I sometimes imitate some girl's introduction speeches, even if they're in japanese. (*starts imitating Sailor Moon's introduction, and Pretty Cure introduction*). I LOVE MAGICAL GIRL SHOWS!!

Sinjoda
02-15-2007, 06:00 AM
No one has ever asked me that, and now that I think about it. It does bother me a lot. >_<

Jagan Eye
02-15-2007, 06:22 AM
Yes. They bother me. I like to see them sometimes but if they have them 8 times in one episode I usually make fun of them, get annoyed, change the channel. Like in Pokemon, (I know this has no relavance to magical anime, but...) when Team Rocket arrives, that is the world's most annoying phrase that they always say. And (back to magical-ness) in Sailor Moon I'd hate it when they all had to transform when I was little.

buhbibutterfly
02-16-2007, 01:34 AM
i don't like watching them...i would watch the first couple of transformations for a number of episodes...however, if it's in every episode then i tend to skip forward until their transformation is completed along with their little speaches after the transformation which usually does follow...i will watch the transformation once again if they have a change in outfit...but usually i'll just fast forward.

shane the ninja
02-16-2007, 06:09 AM
i dont hate transformation sequences but i have a question in like the sailor moon anime when they transform to the sailor scouts do they go really close so that you an make out their naked parts

小美ドクロchan
02-16-2007, 09:12 AM
i dont hate transformation sequences but i have a question in like the sailor moon anime when they transform to the sailor scouts do they go really close so that you an make out their naked parts

:laugh: Ahaha...no. Sailormoon, like many shows aimed at younger girls uses what Chiibi Dokuro-chan likes to call "Barbie doll nudity". BDN is when a simple outline of a naked figure is drawn without much detail to it. If the mahou shoujo has breasts, maybe two curved lines will be drawn to indicate them but sometimes not. The girl is usually glowing as well, to tone down the illusion that she's in her birthday suit.

Pretty much every shoujo magical girl series uses this method, BDN. Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne and Pretear are aimed at older girl audiences so they are shown clearly naked but in KKJ, Maron's hair covers up her breasts and in Pretear, Himeno has her arms crossed over hers.

Now in shounen magical girl series like Devil Hunter Youko, they DO show you everything for the sake of fanservice.:rolleyes: (except for body hair which is strictly prohibited to be shown on Japanese televison.) Magical Lyrical Nanoha is another one but being as the heroine is nine years old, there isn't much to show.:p

*clears throat* Um.....XD;

I'm actually glad you brought this up. I was waiting for someone to mention nudity in henshin scenes. I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner.

The nudity is not meant to be perverted (unless the series is an ecchi series) It's actually symbolic for showing the pure soul of the transforming shoujo. It is a sequence of the girl connecting with a spiritual sense and she is naked in order to empathsize (I probably spelled that wrong) this effect. It is a state of vulnerability and to show nothing but the girl herself, engulfing herself into whatever divine power she may hold. Clothes would just be in the way of this purpose. LOL.

bttr
02-16-2007, 09:15 AM
Have not seen the space chicks episode in megas xlr :laugh:(oh sorry sometimes like transformers)

小美ドクロchan
02-16-2007, 09:28 AM
Ah the recent magical girl series, Saint October is a rarity where the girl is not shown naked at all. Wearing something like white lingerie, she chants her power-summoning phrase and is engulfed in a waterfall of black liquid. Then she emerges, fully dressed and ready for battle. A unique henshin indeed....o.o

Which you can view HERE!:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aBqPvQsOpU

Tsukino_Usagi
03-15-2007, 06:53 PM
It does not bother me, all of
the transformation are pretty
and colorful, and it's just Kawaii. ^_^

CrimsonMoon
03-23-2007, 04:24 AM
First time when I see the transformation sequence, I think, 'wow, beautiful!'. But then, I get bored seeing transformation sequence, especially since it happens in almost every episode. It's totally annoying, esp when you can't skip it eg. in TV. I can grab food downstairs and eat while waiting for them to transform. How long do they take to transform anyway? Enemies can just attack them during the transformation. 0.o

小美ドクロchan
03-24-2007, 08:26 PM
How long do they take to transform anyway? Enemies can just attack them during the transformation. 0.o

Actually it takes only seconds-they just do that to show off the graphics XD

CrimsonMoon
03-24-2007, 09:25 PM
Haha, okay then, I won't argue. :rolleyes: It's just something that annoys me sometimes.

Reniti
03-31-2007, 10:45 AM
I like them a lot, but it sometimes does get annoying when youu get to the middle of the series, and there's a 30-second insert you and the animators know have seen over 156132413.502140 times.... I also hate how in certain shows, the main herione gets her full transformation, but the other girls have theirs cut, as well as attacks.

DarkMoonPrince
03-31-2007, 10:46 AM
Transformations don't really bother me, But They do waste time, no matter how hot the people look while transforming.

AnkoMitarashi
03-31-2007, 01:31 PM
Depends if the trasformation sequence is entertaining and fun to watch for me,then I don't have a problem with that.But if it takes too long,just plain boring to watch, and seen it over a thousands times,then it does bother me...a lot.

Nessie
04-04-2007, 04:31 PM
Haha. XD I loved transformation sequences when I was little. It told me, YAY! THE BAD GUY IS GOING DOWN! Some of them made me laugh a lot though. Like when they move their legs up and a boot would pop on or something. XD

The only thing that bothers me about transformation sequences is that the enemies that were attacking them don't seem to attack them when they're transforming, they just wait it out. Maybe they should show a blinding light affecting the enemies in the meantime or something!

TinNya
05-20-2007, 11:58 AM
Magical Lyrical Nanoha is another one but being as the heroine is nine years old, there isn't much to show.:p

I remember watching her henshin (15 minutes ago >.>)

Its a liiiitle bit disturbing to me o.o It looked like a naked, oily 9 year old floating around in mid air o.o

:: shakes head ::

I dont think Im a prude, but they should have toned down the shiny body parts atleast >.>

Antares
05-20-2007, 08:36 PM
I love them, but I have issues with Sailor Moon DX her transformation takes too long! What about the other sailors? I personally like Sailor Uranus and Neptune's tranformations better.

nekogrl
05-20-2007, 09:09 PM
They don't bother me one bit! Not at all! I think they're uber awesometacular!

Yuki Judai
05-21-2007, 08:06 AM
May I be honest? Yes, because the enemies wait patiently till they finish their henshin dance, and only than attack. Tell me if I'm wrong, but this should be jumped over every time.

unspun
05-21-2007, 09:56 AM
They're ok, but if you're deep in plot, and like, in a hurry to see what happens next, that's when they annoy me.

silvernutbar
05-21-2007, 10:24 AM
I love transformation sequences in any anime scenario. I prefer they be cut short though unless it's for a major plot point. i.e first transformation, new power up, drama focus (the transformer had lost their ability to transform, but finds a way to transform again) or if it's a major battle, like say the final battle of a season, or a massive final all out brawl with the main bad guy of a story arc.

Also, not all nekkid transformation sequences are to show the purity and vulnerability of the girl. Though most are.. sometimes it's simply because they're changing clothes, and the director is a pervert (go nagai's cutey honey, agent aika..) lol.

I think it's interesting that most male transformations in a shoujo atmosphere tend to be short and to the point. darrien, a little glow, a top hat.. is now tuxedo mask.

As to transformation sequences taking too long.. I always assumed these were happening on like an etheric level, or simply in the person's mind's eye.

I mean is there really a massive wall of water forming around this person, or a lightning storm around that one. or is it.. look she's glowing... and poof there's the sailor suit, whereas in her head it's like.. music and sakura petals and weird poses, to psyche herself up.

When it's transformations that are a lot shorter, but more power centric (dragonballz, voltage fighter gowcaizer, ronin warriors, BASTARD!! He was just nekkid and summoned clothes.. or changed from the runt kid into the big bad evil wizard dark schneider... but still... transformation sequence right?)

It's almost like young girls in anime need these huge long sequences to psyche themselves up enough to fight, whereas the guys of anime simply want to power up and whoop some butt..

Hagaren Otaku
05-22-2007, 08:26 AM
I laugh. I say to myself "Yup. I'm watching a mahou shoujo anime XD".

I don't mind them at all, except when they show everyone's transformation sequence one by one, in its entirety every single time they transform, so that it feels like they're just whittling away time.

*agrees with Silvernutbar* It's nice to see the full transformation the first time, but to see the full version every time after that is usually a little overkill for me.

╬Karami Mew~Meow
06-06-2007, 07:26 AM
It depends. Some I hate, because it takes too long. But some i like because it fells relaxing. aahhh...

NiesaxShiori
06-06-2007, 09:08 AM
yeah.. wasting my time.. i just change other channels if there any transformation..

kwnbintang
06-06-2007, 09:53 AM
sometimes i like it and sometimes i didnt

CoolShades
06-07-2007, 02:23 PM
They're so-so for me. I usually don't watch them, because they get boring after a kajillion times. XD

Sakura-Kinomoto
06-16-2007, 06:12 PM
it doesnt bother me at all.

BoxOfWhispers
06-18-2007, 12:11 AM
If they're new, I like seeing them around 20 times, but when they play it exactly the same every episode, that's when it gets annoying. If I don't like the way they transform, I'd just live with it. Unless my t.v. comes with a remote that can fast forward a scene, yes, I'd do that. But for the most part, I love/hate transforming scenes, depends on what I see or my mood.

Gladolock
06-18-2007, 12:52 AM
If you seen the transformation a 100 times, it does annoy you.

BuLmA
08-17-2007, 12:07 AM
No because they really look like model :) very magical...what do you think? watch this!!!!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=_kN-C48lzUw

♥Maiden.Cookie♥
08-17-2007, 04:31 AM
I like the transformation sequences because they look really kawaii and magical but it does get annoying of you see it alot...! >.<

FLASH-X
08-17-2007, 09:29 AM
i agree with maiden cookie

Elphaba
08-18-2007, 09:23 PM
some times they do because they take forever but it is the peak of the magic that is about to happen.

mitsuki tensei
08-22-2007, 01:06 PM
nope, i have no problem with them......i find some of them to be kindoff of cute and some to be kindoff weird. i think it's the transformation sequences that sometimes make the anime interesting itself.............

Tenten1010
10-14-2007, 07:55 AM
I think that some are great. But if you watch sailor moon, the transformation is really long and after you watch a few episodes it gets annoying, but other than that I like the transformation clips!:)

CrimsonLumiere
10-20-2007, 01:32 AM
well i think its not but sometimes it looks annoying when it takes too long

Barako_no_Shi
11-12-2007, 01:48 PM
Yes, if it's the same type of transformation scene over and over again, and takes too long. @_@ But I really don't mind them, I just find the same thing over and over again annoying. ^^'