PDA

View Full Version : Kanji Assistance!

Mokuren
02-04-2007, 10:13 PM
I'm trying to translate a manga I picked up in Japan a couple of years ago on a high school trip (Gokinjou Monogatari by Yazawa Ai) to learn kanji better. I've sort of stumbled my way through the cover and most of the inside book flap, but I'm stuck on this:

全4券

It's beside a couple of the listings of her other manga. I can make out that it says something like "4 volumes in all" but I'm not sure, and I can't google it because it's not a word or even a sentance.

MistressPookyChan
02-05-2007, 08:01 AM
You're right that the first one means "in all" but the last kanji means certificate/prize/ticket. Not sure if that helps... I'll take a look in my manga and see if I can find something similar.

tetekmakhang
02-07-2007, 09:24 AM
i think you've misread the kanji. check the book again and i'm sure it's written as 全4巻 and NOT as 全4券 like u wrote. u can see how 巻 and 券 are pretty similar and can be easily misread. anyway 巻 should be read as 'maki'. it means book or volume. so ur hunch that it means 4 books in all is correct. continue improving ur japanese and I'm sure you'll make a great translator one day. ganbatte ne :-)

Capernicus
02-07-2007, 10:40 AM
Yeah....what they all said. >_> I didn't know either of those Kanjis...

Mokuren
02-07-2007, 04:25 PM
Oh! I typed it in wrong by typing "ken" instead of "kan". I did actually look up the right kanji. =) Thanks! So the whole thing is read as "zenyonmaki"? It's hard to know when there are multiple readings like this.

royal_ken
02-11-2007, 05:38 PM
Oh! I typed it in wrong by typing "ken" instead of "kan". I did actually look up the right kanji. =) Thanks! So the whole thing is read as "zenyonmaki"? It's hard to know when there are multiple readings like this.

It's read as "zenyonkan"
Japanese kanji has two different ways of pronouncing a word.
巻 can be read as maki or kan