PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen feats

Eris
01-29-2007, 01:59 PM
I am a terrible chef (haha, insert Swedish chef jokes here).

I tried to make some sort of sauce once. It turned into what can only be described as the blob (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blob), and tried to eat me. But now I've really done it. I've microwaved a plate into oblivion. I put some frozen food on one side of the plate, and then I microwaved it. Checked if it was ready, but it was cold. I did this over and over for about four minutes. Then I heard a loud pong sound from the microwave. I examined the plate (which was extremely hot), and found a large crack across it. The food, by the way, was still not warm.

How about you? Master of the culinary arts, or walking kitchen hazard?

(I know I am recycling a thread concept I've used before, but the old thread deserved to rest...)

Ωmega
01-29-2007, 02:05 PM
I like to think Im pretty good at cooking, more so baking. Do I enjoy cooking? It really depends on who Im cooking for. Theres only been a few times Ive burned something, but it wasnt fron my part (my mom like to use my cookie sheets to make roast beef, which stains the sheet, cause burnt-meat tasting cookies XP).
I'll say one thing though: I make awsome sauces

Princess Minako
01-29-2007, 02:37 PM
its edible... I'm better at somethings than others. Problem is, I have no patience.

Wish me luck on my Pizza from scratch I'm making ths week... its garlic glazed chicken pizza....

Eris
01-29-2007, 02:57 PM
its edible... I'm better at somethings than others. Problem is, I have no patience.

Wish me luck on my Pizza from scratch I'm making ths week... its garlic glazed chicken pizza....

Unleashing me on a project like that would probably constitute a gross violation of the geneva convention, and possibly be a crime against humanity.

Demonstaff
01-29-2007, 02:59 PM
I"m actually pretty good in the kitchen. WHen I was younger I had to pretty much take care of myself so I just learned on my own how to cook and bake and such. I woldln't say I can make really complicated things, but a large enough variety to please just about everyone I know..except Gabby, she just like Sushi....

Ayame_Sohma
01-29-2007, 03:09 PM
I am really good at cooking...i love it..really..but i dont have any time to it anymore.

DOOM!
01-29-2007, 03:40 PM
Just this lunch, i was allowed to warm my lunch in a colleague's microwave. I like to warm my croissant packs (plastic package) in it till they pop of pressure. This time i've put in a pack that was made with alluminium, and, to my misinformation, showed it's effect in 0.7 secs. Man, what a whoosh!
As for Minako, my dad just brought home some bricks. Yup, for a pathetic attempt to immitate a pizza oven with the gas-based one we have. What he doesn't know is that the oven must be already over 500Celsius when you put the pizza pallete in; the bricks are only good for maintaining/reflecting the heat towards the center of the oven (thanks to it's flat-semicircular form). If you have such an oven, try putting embress or lighted firewood on the sides for good cookin. If you have that, your pizza, from scratch, will be ready in 10 minutes; not too crispy, not too uncooked, and the dough will be as thin as a record. If you got a normal oven, expect it done in 15+ minutes, with a thicker dough, too much/ too less crispy.
As for me, i'd better get some cooking lessons because next week i'll be a screamin bachelor. Sure miss it when my girl used to cook, though ;_;

Edit: speaking of garlic, i just ate two grains with potatoe chips, does that count?

Capernicus
01-29-2007, 03:49 PM
Ah, I'm the only one who cooks in my house. I swear, if I didn't make dinner no one would eat. <.< Can't say that I'm chef-worthy, but everything is edible and generally rather tastey. However, assign me to bake, and it'll be sligtly burnt. ~_~

Piper
01-29-2007, 05:03 PM
Well, pretty recently I been teaching myself how to cook, because I'm a college student, and I have very little money, and eating out is too expensive! So I bought a cook-book.

But to answer your question fairly, I am a very horrible cook, thus I have purchased the book.

Sagat
01-29-2007, 05:09 PM
On my DP2 course, I successfully failed at making microwavable popcorn.

pfftlecakes
01-29-2007, 06:27 PM
Anytime anyone asks whether or not I'm good at cooking, I'm always taken back to the time I set a pan on fire while trying to grill a cheese sammich. The faces of the cabinets above the stove were black and it smelled like I'd set a aflame barbeque.. which wasn't far from the truth.

I still burn things here and there, but I've never made that same mistake again. I'm getting better at making meals, but I prefer not to cook at all.

Buruku
01-29-2007, 06:42 PM
Over Christmas break I cooked dinner almost every night, in college I can never cook so I really enjoyed being able to again. Anyway, my family loves it when I cook and according to them I'm really good.

BUT there was this time when I was making angel food cake (my first time) and I only checked the surface before assuming it was done (it was certainly in there long enough) and anyway I was tipping it out of the angel food pan and it turned out it wasn't near done. SO I had molten hot batter go everywhere, some landed on my bear-foot and it hurt so bad.

Thats the worst cooking story I have.

Faceless111
01-29-2007, 10:23 PM
I eat what I cook, although I never do a good job. When I come home, I cook myself something to eat. Well, today, I cooked myself some burgers. I burnt the outside, but the insides successfully built up a pocket of grease. I don't exactly know how, but inside the meat was an actual pocket of nothing by grease. Greasy grease too, you know, blackish/grayish grease. And I'm enjoying my burger when I suddenly and unexpectedly reach the pocket of grease. The grease actually and literally exploded onto me, covering me, my shirt, and pants with this grayish/blackish/sickly grease. I paused for a moment, slightly disgusted, then ate the rest of the burger.

Manhattan_Project_2000
01-29-2007, 11:31 PM
I can cook well, but for whatever reason can't bake. It's not exactly like the cookies explode or anything, they just end up burnt.

Sakura Holic
01-29-2007, 11:49 PM
Omg.. XDDD
You did that? lol

Well, I cook yes, but not anymore... Mom yelled at me because my brother tried to do the same and he burned the pot and made it all darn brown ash color.....
>.>
I miss cooking my favorite dish...
It's Honey Walnut Shrimp. Yes, I finally know and I cant cook any more thanks to HIM! >.>

Titus_Starwind
01-30-2007, 12:13 AM
I'm decent for a guy without any training whatsoever.

I think with some instruction I could be a mean chef.

miniPhil
02-13-2007, 02:38 PM
Yeah i do, im getting better and better. Im now making 2 dinners a week. Before last september i couldnt even cook toast.

Morris
02-13-2007, 02:54 PM
Well there was the inncident where I managed to destroy a frozen pizza by nuking it into what can only be described as a weapon of whi I accidentally hurt my flatmate with when I threw it at him in a rage. Left him on the floor. Then there is all the drunken food cooking incidents which I am not going to expain for obvious reasons

氷の動物
03-15-2007, 08:36 PM
Personally I live with one other roommate in an apartment near where I go to school, so basically either him or I have to make dinner every night, and we usually switch off. Both being guys we didn't really have tons of experience cooking but we've managed to learn and figure out how to make a reasonable amount of stuff.

As far as what we usually make, we know how to do sausages and hamburgers (pan fried), curry, chili, and many dishes composed of a combination of meat and vegetables. Most of our stuff usually turns out fairly good, and most of it is either us improvising on what to add or recipes that we have a good idea on or know by heart. Also, we tend to eat rice with something like 90% of our meals cause it is easy to make and we both like it.

The only time in recent memory I did something bad was trying to mix spices with something sweet (I tried to add in maple syrup) with the vegetables and beef I was frying up... needless to say the results didn't taste all that great... but the funny thing was my roommate didn't even notice (I think maybe because he didn't see what I put in it). Now I usually avoid using sweet stuff when cooking up non-desserts unless I'm going by a recipe that specifically asks for it.

sasunarubishoujo
03-15-2007, 08:46 PM
I seriously don't know if I'm a good cook or not ^ ^;
My mom cooks most everything in my house and I just eat what's served.
I know can make some dishes like eggs (scrambled, boiled, etc.) and uh...sandwiches?

pyre
03-15-2007, 09:24 PM
My mom never lets me in the kitchen to cook seriously.

I can handle instant noodles, though once or twice I nearly burned them. Yeah, I can burn instant noodles. :banghead:

And then I burned some hotdogs black, totally black. Luckily, the dogs ate them. :banghead:

And I burned water once. Don't ask, it's not easy to burn water. Long story. :banghead:

ANd frying...I do have successes once in a while (if I'm not distracted...however, my attention span for cooking is so short that a success is rare) but my mom still doesn't trust me and so she still breathes down my neck when I cook. :banghead: I can fry an egg though.

My mom's a great cook, so maybe if I am trained...

kyubichan
03-15-2007, 11:12 PM
I learned to cook when I was twelve, and I loved cooking. However, a certain culinary teacher in my highschool made me shy away from the kitchen, since we had different "opinions" when it came to some of the recipes she wanted us to make (e.g. she wanted cream on menudo, I thought it would be gross and thus did not follow her recipe). Later on, my sister was taught by the same teacher, and she thought the teacher's recipes were a bit weird too XD That got me back into cooking, trying different things that other people would view as "unconventional" recipes. I've never cooked something so horrible that no one would eat it, the worst was some slightly burnt oatmeal cookies, and it was still edible... my specialties are bulgogi; and home-made pizza, for which I make this crunchy crust thing ^^

Opinionated
03-15-2007, 11:33 PM
One time I accidentally set a mug full of unheated hot chocolate in the microwave. I got to the door of the living room before I remembered that the mug had a large metal decoration on it. Nearly slipping as I ran in my houseshoes, I managed to get the mug out after only 5 seconds of bombardment and no special effects.

And there was the time I managed to lose about a third of a Spam single on a pan I forgot didn't have the no-stick coating. People. I'll risk the cancer, I'm tired of pans lacking no-stick coating. After that, I found out with some help from my Dad that butter is the ultimate no-stick you can use for cooking Spam. Forget my health, it tastes awesome.

Oh, there was the time I got teaspoons and tablespoons mixed up and made brownies with a tablespoon of salt.

Myrra
03-16-2007, 12:04 AM
I'm not a bad cook, just unappreciated in the kitchen
But I do have a fun cooking mishap to share. While it wasn't my doing, I was there. We were all at my aunt's for Thanksgiving (this was a day or two before) and my aunts were fixing dinner (the one's who didn't live there) Well the one aunt whose house it was kept decrotive covers on the burners and on one of these covers she set a wood basket of something. Well, my other aunts not being familiar with the stove and apparently unable to read the dials on the range that indicate which dial is for which burner, turned on the wrong burner and left me and one other aunt in charge of the food (which was good). We were watching tv when we smelled something coming from the kitchen. We ran to see what was wrong and found that decorative cover distorted from the heat and the basket aflame. We (meaning me) through the basket into the nearby sink (which just happened to contain the dirty dishwater) just in the nick of time and after correcting the burners, and letting the cover cool, moved that as well to the sink. The enamel paint on it had bubbled and pretty much ruined it. When my other aunts returned they got an earful about that as we could've had no home left at Thanksgiving cos of their carelessness.
Needless to say, I learned a valuable lesson: never keep anything on your range top!!!

bardabe
03-16-2007, 12:15 AM
ah yes I am horrible at the kitchen, thus making
1) Top Ramen
2) Rice and vegetables
3) Span and Eggs.

lol anything else like he said before. "Unleashing me on a project like that would probably constitute a gross violation of the geneva convention, and possibly be a crime against humanity." lol

Haibara
03-16-2007, 12:06 PM
I can cook really good, give me a recipe and I can probably make it, I just choose to be lazy and not cook. The only time I cook is if my mom wants me to make this chicken dish I know or around the holidays, I like to bake then.

Tsuna Kadiri
03-16-2007, 05:38 PM
I don't want to say I'm terrible, but I don't have alot of experience cooking. I can work the stove and the oven, but using them by myself with no one around makes me nervous. My time management is bad, I'm afraid what I'm cooking will explode.

Though I did make scrambled eggs by myself once. But the entire time I was on the phone with my mom step by step asking her if I was doing everything right.

Tsukino_Usagi
03-16-2007, 08:14 PM
I'm a bad cook, but it taste good.
When I cook, it always come out
wrong but the taste is right.

Eris
05-06-2007, 05:27 AM
PREPARE for another SHOCKING, HORRIFYING, NERVE TINGLING, MIND BOGGLING, PSYCHOSIS INDUCING

TALE FROM THE KITCHEN!

I started out in the kitchen, sorta hungry and pondering whether or not I would survive eating the three weeks old pizza in my fridge. So I boiled some instant noodles I'd had laying about for a couple of months. Then I looked at the back of some old package of instant mashed potatoes, figured they required the same amount of water as the noodles, so when the noodles were done and off the plate, I added an appropriate amount the instant potato-mash powder to the noodles. The result was... odd. Not quite noodles, not quite mashed potatoes. Anyways, so I doused it in sweet & sour sauce and ate it. It went down. The consistency was very peculiar, and I'm sure most nutritionists would be shocked, but heh, it beats stale pizza.

CrimsonMoon
05-06-2007, 06:14 AM
Eris, are you sure it's, uh, edible? ^^; That sounds funny to me. And I've never eaten stale food before. Never thought of eating them either. I'm not a good cook but I do learn making my favourite food. But I bake better than cooking. I don't know if I'm kitchen disaster. I'm just afraid of 'jumping oil' when cooking fried food. ^^; I have bad accident with fire when I was lil, sort of.

Ashminigun
05-06-2007, 09:43 AM
*joins in the frenzy...

Hmmm...I can cook when I'm alone, hungry, feeling bored and lazy to go out and buy dinner. Usually consist of leftovers that are in the fridge or on the table and I eat what I've cooked which most the time didn't turned out what I have planned (Sometimes, my youngest sister become my so-called victim to my cooking if we're the only ones in the house).

Usually, if my sister(s) is/are at home, they do the cooking, although I lend some little assistance.

As for microwave oven, I'm kind the that reads the manual first and observe the cooking instruction on the packages before using it (esp. if I want to cook food using it)

As for those ready-to-cook frozen food and eggs, I've no problem with it.

'nough said...

zyronet
05-06-2007, 10:17 AM
im not a good cook but not a bad cook either..
my mom has been teaching me some of her recipes these days.. and it was good..!!
what's bad about my cooking.. If its a SOUP.. yep.. a soup.. ive never made an edible soup ever, if it isnt so sticky it would be kind of.. too much in water.. hehe.. hard experiences.. ugh..

Reniti
05-06-2007, 10:27 AM
Well, I can cook soup and bake a frozen pizza, and all that. I bet I could probably make something from scratch (that doesn't involve dough) and it'd be good.

Also... I sometimes break the rules on the forzen food boxes... I sometimes microwave over the time limit is says. O_O SCANDAL!

Acnologia
05-06-2007, 10:32 AM
I can cook, but just not big things, so I'm sorta in between. But I had a friend who almost burnt her house down trying to make a hard boiled egg.

Antares
05-06-2007, 10:57 AM
I'm an in between chef, I think. I can prepare anything if I have the instructions are near. That's the same for baking... and I'm proud of myself, last summer I prepared my first bread and apple pudin (sp?) and turned out great.

Still, I have to say that my greatest enemy is microwave popcorn. Everytime I try, the first time is not enough and the second time, they're completly burned. They hate me, I tell you!

Fiery
05-06-2007, 03:31 PM
I remember the days when my mother used to tease me about being the only human being on Earth who could burn water...

However, I'm really not that bad of a chef. It's an extra hassle for my mom to prepare a special meal for me every night (being that I'm allergic to pretty much everything), so I've learned to manage. When I lived in Chicago, though, my diet pretty much consisted of plums, cashews, and ramen.

Most of my meals don't require a lot of actual "cooking", since I prefer raw foods. The most I generally do is cut up vegetables, and hey, I've managed to keep the knife away from my fingers.

By the way. Vinegar goes with everything.

Sailor Lunar Eclipse
05-06-2007, 03:35 PM
Nice Eris. Nice. Me... cooking. Heh pure joke. I can be good if I really want the food. Me... baking. I love cakes.

the japanese ed gein
05-06-2007, 04:30 PM
kitchen feat?: instant ramen cassarole nuff said.

but yah, i'm a good cook (for my standards anyways). I have to make most of my meals on my own because my parents arent really that accomodating to vegetarism even after a year.

Toastie
05-07-2007, 02:55 PM
I eventually taught myself to cook, but leading upto that point was pretty disastarous! I've microwaved eggs till explosion, nuked a baked potatoe into carbon and burnt off my eyebrows trying to light a grill with no Ignition. I've also fryed a rotten egg (it was green when it hit the frying pan), resulting in the house smelling 'awful' for weeks!

Baking isn't actually that bad for me though. The only real problem I've had was overdoing the amount of yeast I put into Bread Dough. Once the 'dinger' went, the bread had risen so much ot got stuck onto the roof of the oven that took me hours to clean!

Gr1mmy
05-07-2007, 03:30 PM
I plan to learn how to cook before this year ends. I have to learn how to be responsible, my parents say. :P

In any case, I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy learning how to cook. (I don't act like a boy at all...)

Eternal Dream
06-03-2007, 07:32 PM
I'm a bad cook
But my specialty is...
POP CORN
ΚΚΚΚΚΚΚΚΚΚΚΚ...
The unique thing that I do!!!

Tsuneki
06-03-2007, 07:40 PM
I can cook real good when i'm in a really good mood, but If I'm not my cooking tastes real nasty! O.O; But I can say I do cook good. *Somethimes*

Lunafreya Fleuret
06-03-2007, 08:17 PM
Eh. Not enough patience to cook anything. xP I tried once and failed miserably.

OminousCloud
06-03-2007, 08:23 PM
I'm pretty good in the kitchen ^_^ I love to cook and experiment with different herbs and spices and to date there hasn't been one dish that has failed. Of course there's still plenty of time for that to happen, and I expect it will at some sort of important occasion.

Triela Hilsher
06-07-2007, 06:48 AM
French Toast? Are you kidding, I suck in the kitchen...

kwnbintang
06-07-2007, 07:30 AM
there's only one thing that i can really cook....EGGS!!!!!

Gaarademon
06-07-2007, 07:32 AM
i can cook...alittle
only tv dinners lol and mac'n'cheese on the stove

unspun
06-07-2007, 07:37 AM
I was raised by my grandmother, who was a real southerner, so I cook really good.

What makes me mad is my husband actually took a culinary course in college, and he refuses to make anything but ramen, so I'm pretty much always cooking, and kind of tired of it. Eris, I envy you, I really do.

UrusaiSevera
06-07-2007, 02:08 PM
I can cook, but usually don't just because I'm too lazy ....
I can make killer dessert and make a mean spaghetti carbonara....
I learned cooking by watching my mum ... she's an awesome chef....

Tempest Wind
06-07-2007, 04:03 PM
Eh, I can cook......but only for me. Every time I cook for someone else, they say its nasty, even though it tastes alright to me.

Buruku
06-18-2007, 04:39 PM
I actually screwed up something really easy today, I was making some muffins out of those packets that only require water, and I misread it because I was careless and added a cup more water then it needed, so it was muffin soup. I just threw some choc chips and more flour in there and stuck it in the oven, needless to say they came out awful.

But I'm about to go make Tacos, I never mess those up. ^__^

OminousCloud
06-19-2007, 02:39 AM
I'll be attempting to make ice cream... but it takes aaages oh well I'll tell you how it goes