PDA

View Full Version : Why do you read manga?

otakiw
01-04-2007, 08:07 PM
I was wondering... why is manga SO popular? Why do so many people get hooked and read and follow a story in a particular series all the way until the end?

It seems to me that a manga fan will read manga for many reasons, not just to pass time or for the quick fix escapism kick that they (or I get!) from reading manga.

Why do you read manga?
Do you love the sense of closeness in the characters?
Do you find posotive images within the characters?
Do you love the stories?
Do you love being part of a large fan base?
Do you find that if you are an International reader you enjoy being part of an 'exclusive' club?
...or none of these...are there other reasons...or no reason at all!

Why do YOU read manga? :)

akiko_kalla
01-04-2007, 08:46 PM
I read manga for the same reasons I read books; it's simply an interesting story with interesting characters. I like the art work, but if the story or characters are lacking, I won't read it no matter how beautiful the art work. It's the same for any book: a pretty cover is nice for a glance, but if there's no content it won't hold my interest.

As a student of Japanese, some manga illustrate cultural aspects which I find intriguing (although there's a great deal of manga that does not do this). It sometimes gives a good platform from which to start researching.

As far as fan clubs, I could care less if it's popular or not. Much of what I read is very difficult to find in the US and I have met very few people who have even heard of them much less read them. In fact I only have two friends who have ever read manga and one is from Hong Kong.

sasunarubishoujo
01-04-2007, 08:52 PM
Much of what I read is very difficult to find in the US and I have met very few people who have even heard of them much less read them. In fact I only have two friends who have ever read manga and one is from Hong Kong.

Strange since I have many friends that take interest in reading manga and many more that at least know what it is *shrugs* oh well

otherwise ditto on what he/she said

Fox Knight
01-04-2007, 09:29 PM
I read Manga because to Compare the art in the book to the anime. It's pretty interesting.

Mugetsu
01-04-2007, 10:39 PM
The reason that I began reading manga was for continuation. I found out through forum discussions that many/most animes that I watched were based on manga. Not only that, but some of the storys continued in the manga even after the anime ended (Berserk, Full Metal Alchenist, Get Backers).

I wanted to see how the storys really ended or in some cases continued. I also noticed that there were often differences in the storylines in the manga from its anime counterpart. For instance in FMA the story is almost completely different after they find out about the prison experiments. Sometimes the manga gives you more/different information than the anime.

Also your imagination plays a bigger role with manga. Have you ever watched an anime and been annoyed by a characters voice or the way they spoke? With manga that problem doesn't exist. All of the characters sound great because the voices are in your head. Wait...that didn't come out quite right. Well you know what I meant anyway.

Greco
01-05-2007, 12:12 AM
Simple. i read mangas because I enjoy it and i'm and anime person so i guess it's like my addiction:)

Hamashimura
01-05-2007, 05:26 AM
I'm Otaku...I like anime and manga,it's true that moves are limited on paper,but it's the story that I like,and manga is conected to anime...Infact,I could agree with Fox Knight,in term of comparing manga with anime...Well,it is interesting!

DarkPrinceBman
01-05-2007, 05:29 AM
I like manga, because of its entirety. Relating text and pictures together. The story lines, and character development. There are alot of positive aspects for books thats plot can not be discovered till the near end, though holding the reader as it builds up. Manga like any other book has to have apeal, I dont like all mangas and i certainly do not like all books.

(its rather early so my post may seemed vague, but im tired)

buhbibutterfly
01-06-2007, 02:14 PM
i have no reason why i read manga...just like i have no reason why i watch anime...i read/watch it just cuz...simple as that if i like the story i'll continue reading if i don't i don't continue reading....don't know why poeple like to ask why someone does/watch something....sometimes theres just no reason...

anime133
01-10-2007, 02:39 PM
I buy the manga of all the animes that r not sold in the UK.....darn it....oh and i like 2 read while holiday or travelin where there is no video player or what not -_-

Zoekin
01-11-2007, 01:35 AM
I buy the manga of all the animes that r not sold in the UK.....darn it....oh and i like 2 read while holiday or travelin where there is no video player or what not -_-

I feel your pain! I read manga of anime series like DearS, Girls Bravo,Karin and Rozen Maiden that are not available down here in New Zealand! I like manga because there is a lot more content in the story (i.e Gunsmith cats) or the manga takes a different direction (i.e Steel Angel Kurumi). I get hooked on the storyline and the characters and I just can't wait to see what happens to them next! Pretty artwork is nice but likeable characters are what gets my money!

Kitty Killer
01-11-2007, 08:04 AM
It is something I have read out of boredom at first. Some of them are published in series and it ended with cliffhanger. So I continued reading it until I get addicted and learn that it is something I enjoy reading a lot. Not just for the arts, but also for the storyline and the characters. The older I am, the more I enjoy reading manga and analyze many of its aspect.

I'm Asian, so manga and anime is pretty common here. It's somewhat shunned by some grown up though. So it's a pleasant for me to found out there are more people worldwide who enjoy the same thing as me, especially those who are as old as I am. ^^

mimichan1000
01-11-2007, 08:16 AM
I just enjoy it.
The reason for enjoying it varies.
If from any of my favorite authors, then i'll definitely read or it could be because a particular story caught my interest..
It's hard for me to put it in words.
I just love reading manga:)

sakura_haruno25
01-11-2007, 09:12 AM
Why I read manga you ask!!??! Becuz inlife some things are 4 pure entertainment like manga but it grips readers since the writers have a way of doing so that u don't get sick of it. Besides, there's not alot normal ppl can do in life and manga cheers the world (or saddens it) with it plot that makes ppl intruged to read more and have sth to do...

rpgwiz99
01-12-2007, 06:13 PM
I read Manga because a lot of the times it gets a lot deeper then the show. Also Manga is much better than normal books (in my opinion), and you can read it when evere you want (you alaways dont have time to watch anime)

AnkoMitarashi
01-12-2007, 07:16 PM
I like to read manga because I think it's waaaaaay more better than american comic books and more creative. I love the format and I got used to reading it that way by right to left. (even though it was confusing at first) The manga art is so good and original. I love the storyline of manga. I love everything about it!^.^