PDA

View Full Version : American Animes

AmberHeart
01-02-2007, 03:59 PM
how do you guys feel about american animes like kappa mikey, w.i.t.c.h avatar: the last air bender and mangas like peach fuzz (well i think was made in the us but im not sure. the characters have names like 'amanda' which is english.) personaly i do not mind them, some people think there posers but anime is really a art style in my opinion. some of them like w.i.t.c.h i think are really stupid.

Mr.Gentleman
01-02-2007, 08:48 PM
I really don't have a strong opinion on american anime. I think it can suck or it can be good just like Japanese anime.

The thing I do have a problem with however is Canadian anime.

sasunarubishoujo
01-02-2007, 08:52 PM
The thing I do have a problem with however is Canadian anime.

Canadia has anime...strange

I love Avatar but i cant stand Kappa Mikey for my life(they're making fun of anime i just know it!!)

Abstract Me
01-02-2007, 08:58 PM
The only "American" anime I've ever found interesting in it's own right is Avatar: The Last Airbender (really, that's such a good show). Other than that, I have a bit of distaste for anything that's branded "anime" when it's not really anime.

While I do agree it is an artstyle, shows like W.I.T.C.H. and Totally Spies don't really need the anime artstyle to tell the story. To me, it seems like they're just using that kind of animation as something "cool". And tacking "anime" on those types of shows make me sort of angry - it's like they're degrading what anime really is. If the storyline is appropriate enough for anime-esque art, I can accept it. But girls being spies while omg luvin dat 1 guy hes soooo hot i luv clothes im just a typcial grl!!1 ? No. Just...no. It's insulting.

I've read that Kappa Mikey is sort of a tribute to anime. But I've never seen the show, so I can't really say much on that one.

Teen Titans is another anime-like show. I don't really get why they decided to use anime expressions for a show with characters from American comic books. o.O Though, the show is alright. It's not bad or anything. I don't know. -__-;

I never read Peach Fuzz, but wasn't that made from a person winning some kind of manga contest?

I just don't like the idea of imitating anime when it's not. Someone convince me otherwise.

bardabe
01-02-2007, 09:37 PM
the only american anime I like... (not even sure if its american) it's Teen Titans. all others are "meh"

buhbibutterfly
01-02-2007, 10:09 PM
i really don't care one way or another if it's american or japanese or chinese or canadian or whatever...if it's to my liking i'll watch it, if it's not i won't...the same as regualar anime...

as for avatar i love this series and watch it whenever a new episode plays or when i'm bored and i know it's playing...i just think that katara really needs a new hairdo...

as for american manga why not read it...i love shutterbox and that's american made...theres korean and japanese manga's why not american? just like anime as long as i like it i'll read it...

sa5m
01-03-2007, 11:58 AM
I HATE Kappa Mikey! They're making fun of anime! XP

I really love Avatar Airbender. It's probably one of my favorite shows! I really love it. I mean, it started out kind of boring, but it got REALLY good. The characters and plot are awesome!

AmberHeart
01-03-2007, 03:52 PM
i love avatar. and when you say 'kappa mikey is making fun of anime' it really helps if post are detailed..:)

and yes, the creators of peach fuzz did win a manga contest, but its a real manga now and you can buy it in stores.

Abstract Me
01-03-2007, 09:50 PM
Okay, now I can clarify this: Kappa Mikey isn't 'making fun of anime'. In an interview with Anime Insider, the creators specifically say that they are not making fun of it; Rather, it is a homage to anime. The concept for the show is basically to juxtapose both the anime and American cartoon styles. Apparently, the directors and animators are big anime fans.

I've never seen the show, so I can't say anything for or against it personally. Just thought you'd like to know, for all of you screaming out there that it's making fun of it.

And yes, Avatar is awesome. Can't wait for the third season!

poi_lkj_ask
01-03-2007, 11:17 PM
japon anime is beter then amercan anime

Kitanoru
01-03-2007, 11:54 PM
Okay, now I can clarify this: Kappa Mikey isn't 'making fun of anime'. In an interview with Anime Insider, the creators specifically say that they are not making fun of it; Rather, it is a homage to anime. The concept for the show is basically to juxtapose both the anime and American cartoon styles. Apparently, the directors and animators are big anime fans.

I totally agree with Abstract Me on this topic, that Kappa Mikey is not making fun of Anime. For me it all depends, I like both types of anime, if it be Japanese, or in American format. In some cases, and in other cases, I do, and do not like a series for their formats. However, I didn't mind Kappa Mikey. I don't really see it as making fun of Anime, I see it more as working side by side with anime, just with a different format.

~Viper Soul

Black Pony
01-07-2007, 08:38 AM
I hate it when American animation studieos make anime anime style cartoons because it's always amied at kids and the plots are similar. If you have someone who does'nt watch anime then watchs one of these cartoons they may think that it is an anime because of the similarities with REAL anime. The Japanese anime is the real thing and it is aimed at all ages.

Yuri-chan
01-07-2007, 09:20 AM
True, true, so very true

America has butchered some very well known and like Japanese animes. Not that I'm pointing fingers *cough 4kids cough* but they've seriously killed some. Frickin voice dubs and lack of subtitles. They maimed Tokyo Mew Mew (Mew Mew Power?!?) and plenty of others.

As for American anime: I find it hard to call it anime rather than cartoons. I used to be a huge Teen Titans fan. Avatar: the Last Airbender is one of the few that has a nice plot twist now and then. I'm a true Avatard for that matter (see sig and avie set ;D)

Daenerys
01-07-2007, 09:38 AM
There is no such thing as american anime. Anime is japanese cartoons, This topic is rediculous.

Hamashimura
01-07-2007, 09:42 AM
originaly posted by Hardcore
There is no such thing as american anime. Anime is japanese cartoons, This topic is rediculous.

I agree...You cannot call american cartoons anime,it's just wrong,as for w.i.t.c.h. it is ridiculous,that stuff is trying to be anime,but it's imposible...
Anyway,I don't like american cartoons...

Yuri-chan
01-07-2007, 11:21 AM
I agree...You cannot call american cartoons anime,it's just wrong,as for w.i.t.c.h. it is ridiculous,that stuff is trying to be anime,but it's imposible...
Anyway,I don't like american cartoons...

I agree as well
American "anime" are really just cartoons.

-Batman-
01-07-2007, 11:45 AM

American, Japanese, Canadian, European, Chinese, Korean...

They're all the same thing. Moving drawings, or in some cases, moving computer generated images.

Cartoons
Or animation if you want to try and make it sound more mature.

.Gogo
01-07-2007, 11:54 AM

Anime style is an art form originating from Japan. That doesn't necessarily mean that an artist drawing in the anime style has to be in Japan for his/her art style to be considered anime art. I would like to think that my art style would be considered anime style, and that where I'm living is irrelevant.

However I am in agreement that this Americanized anime style in the shows you're mentioning is a slight misrepresentation of how anime is "supposed" to be done, therefore it cannot accurately be considered anime art. I do agree with those of you that said this particular "americanized" anime style is a mixture of traditional cartoons and the anime style. Which is all well and good, I think it has a nice effect. But it's not quite achieved the title of anime.

I think I'm the only one who watches Totally Spies? Lol not so much for the story, I just think it's cute and it passes time when there's nothing on ^_^;;

Regex
01-07-2007, 12:49 PM
I would have to agree, anime doesn't mean it's FROM Japan. We have a word for things that are from Japan. That's Japanese.

Undrave Limito
01-08-2007, 01:28 AM
OH geez not this old sementic question again --

Anime itself has a multitude of animation style, to claim there is such a thing as an 'anime style' is ridiculous. To me Anime is not about the artstyle, it's about the writing.

An 'anime' is a cartoon written by someone who is influenced by Japanese culture. Plain and simple.

'manga' on the other hand is slightly different has it has it's own set of publishing rules that when applied to an occidental work can make it an 'american' or 'french' manga (the French have some already sucessful title in that domain BTW).

Anyway I'm a fan of ALL animation and I will watch it when it's good. Plain and simple. Complaining about the style of the animation being a 'rip off' or a 'mockery' is just moot.

What Canadian Anime? You mean Di-Gata Defenders? Di-Gata Defenders is awesome...what are you complaining about? Or maybe you didn't like Cybersix?

Hamashimura
01-08-2007, 03:32 AM
OMG!Come on,Anime are japanese!
For the others exist word animated cartoons,and animated movies...
I read about it,and anime is name for japanese,there's no such thing as japanese anime - that's anime,and there's no such thing as american,canadian not even arabian anime - it's all animated movies and series,NOT ANIME!

.Gogo
01-08-2007, 09:04 AM
OMG!Come on,Anime are japanese!
For the others exist word animated cartoons,and animated movies...
I read about it,and anime is name for japanese,there's no such thing as japanese anime - that's anime,and there's no such thing as american,canadian not even arabian anime - it's all animated movies and series,NOT ANIME!

Where did you read that at?? For your information, the Japanese themselves call all forms of animation "anime", not just productions in their own country.

In fact, allow me to do the proper research for you:

In Japan, the term does not specify an animation's nation of origin or style; it is used as a blanket term to refer to all forms of animation from around the world. In English, main dictionary sources define anime as "a Japanese style of motion-picture animation" or "a style of animation developed in Japan". Thus, non-Japanese works are sometimes called anime if they borrow stylistically from Japanese animation.

Like I said, the japanese call all forms of animation "anime". Even in English, anime is not defined as having to "come from Japan". It is simply referred to as a style derived from Japan. Because something had "developed" there does not necessarily mean it is resticted to that country alone either, so don't bother throwing that in my face. And, I believe that last sentence speaks for itself, thank you.

Since anime or animēshon is used to describe all forms of animation, Japanimation is used to distinguish Japanese work from that of the rest of the world.

However, some anime are co-productions with non-Japanese companies like the Cartoon Network. Thus, anime is no longer specific to the Japanese market.

To further emphasize my point up there ^

I still stand by what I have said in my previous post.

Hamashimura
01-08-2007, 10:39 AM
Woops...my bad...
But still I think that jap is anime,and everything else are cartoons...
Live with it,my opinion will not change,since you cannot call anime a cartoon(I mean,it is cartoon,but it has deep story,and it's way more different than any other cartoon)...
In anime you can sometimes recognize your dreams and hopes;anime are telling universal story about humans,about their growing up,about love,pain and sorrow,about human life...
They are showing us that world isn't full of superheroes(unlike american cartoons<cough,superman,cough>),they are showing us spirituality of japanese ppl,and most important-every anime has deep seeded story in itself,and there are not many ppl who really cares about it so they cannot see it...
And finally,anime are showing us that everything has it's end,and that end may not always be positive...
These facts I haven't seen in any american cartoon(except some disney's),so that's why I believe that you cannot compare anime with american cartoons,and this may sound really weird,but that's wy I respect anime,and I believe that every anime(no matter how much someones says it suks)is good on it's own way...
There...this was of off theme,but nevermind,I just said what I feel...

Regex
01-08-2007, 11:22 AM
But still I think that jap is anime,and everything else are cartoons...
Live with it,my opinion will not change,since you cannot call anime a cartoon(I mean,it is cartoon,but it has deep story,and it's way more different than any other cartoon)...If you ask me, fact should come before opinion. The fact is, the definition of "cartoon" encompasses anime, and anime is not some magical special creation that surpasses all of human language to completely defy the known definitions for things.

In anime you can sometimes recognize your dreams and hopes;anime are telling universal story about humans,about their growing up,about love,pain and sorrow,about human life...
They are showing us that world isn't full of superheroes(unlike american cartoons<cough,superman,cough>),they are showing us spirituality of japanese ppl,and most important-every anime has deep seeded story in itself,and there are not many ppl who really cares about it so they cannot see it...
And finally,anime are showing us that everything has it's end,and that end may not always be positive...Yeah? Not full of superheroes? You don't watch much anime do you? Look at shows like Pokemon and Yugioh. They're considered anime, and they're just as much "superhero" style as Superman is.

Ever watched the older Batman animated series? That had a much more dark feel than any American series you seem to ever have seen.

These facts I haven't seen in any american cartoon(except some disney's),so that's why I believe that you cannot compare anime with american cartoons,and this may sound really weird,but that's wy I respect anime,and I believe that every anime(no matter how much someones says it suks)is good on it's own way...
There...this was of off theme,but nevermind,I just said what I feel...So you respect the art of all animation from Japan, because some things from Japan have sad endings?
Do you realize the racist and stereotypical ramblings that you're spewing here?
Not all anime is sad and deep and ridiculous. Not all American shows are shallow and heroic.

Drop your need to apply importance to something there is not. Enjoy anime for the art that it is, and don't be some ridiculous elitist, just because it comes from a country whose culture you clearly don't understand at all.

Hamashimura
01-08-2007, 11:53 AM
originally posted by Regex
You don't watch much anime do you?

Hm...I watch anime since I was 4,that's mean I watch anime for 15 years...
I'm not telling that every anime is sad and deep and ridiculous,I'm telling that every anime shows us that everything has it's end that MAY NOT always be positive...
And I study japanese history and culture for 6 years,it's imposible that I don't understand it...
Yes,Pokemon and YGO are full of superheroes,but still they can teach us something,don't you agree,just like Dragon ball?And just where's in pokemon superhero?Ash and pikachu?Come on,that's true,but it just isn't the same way as superman...
And it's true,I havent wathced batman animation,just batman vs. dracula...
Anyway,I don't respect all animation from Japan cuz of sad endings,I respect it because they have that something in themselves...
You got me all wrong,I'm not a racist or anything like that,and I do understand jap culture,the fact is that anime surpasses american cartoons in many ways...
Now no offense,but do you understand japanese culture?You told me that I don't understand their culture,so do you study japanese culture?Do you study their history?Do you have japanese friends that told you about their own culture?I do...
Well,I might have wrote in unappropriate way,but I'm not best at english( i dont know every single word),but still there's no point in attacking my thought's that you have clearly missunderstood...even though you were right,cuz when you read that you really can think that way,but still...
And I havent said that every american show is shallow and heroic,I never said that,infact there are some cartoons I find really good!And I never said that I don't respect american shows...
And I havent said either that every anime show is deep,I said that every anime has that deep seeded message in themselves,and not many ppl can realize it and learn from them...And it seems you're one of them...
I know I'm doing wrong arguing with mod here,but you have missunderstood my thoughts...
I hope you're not mad now...

Darkened_Star
01-08-2007, 12:17 PM
I really don't have a strong opinion on american anime. I think it can suck or it can be good just like Japanese anime.

I agree, though I like most Japanese anime. ^_^

Regex
01-08-2007, 12:32 PM
Hm...I watch anime since I was 4,that's mean I watch anime for 15 years...
I'm not telling that every anime is sad and deep and ridiculous,I'm telling that every anime shows us that everything has it's end that MAY NOT always be positive...To use a recurring example, Pokemon certainly doesn't show that.
And there are plenty of American shows that also are the same. Look at the way even Teen Titans ended. That wasn't such a happy ending.

And I study japanese history and culture for 6 years,it's imposible that I don't understand it...Well that's a mistake to say that it's impossible. If you paid any attention to modern Japanese culture, as well as their language, you'd know that the term anime ( アニメ ) is an all-encompassing term for cartoons and animation. This is fact, which transcends any opinions you may have.

Yes,Pokemon and YGO are full of superheroes,but still they can teach us something,don't you agree,just like Dragon ball?And just where's in pokemon superhero?Ash and pikachu?Come on,that's true,but it just isn't the same way as superman...No? Ash doesn't always succeed? Ash doesn't end up winning in the end no matter what? Ash doesn't get badges, even though he fails to beat gym leaders and he sucks?

Anyway,I don't respect all animation from Japan cuz of sad endings,I respect it because they have that something in themselves...
You got me all wrong,I'm not a racist or anything like that,and I do understand jap culture,the fact is that anime surpasses american cartoons in many ways...Many American cartoons have a lot you can respect as well. To say that you respect everything from Japan for that reason, but not everything from other places, that is very much racist.

Now no offense,but do you understand japanese culture?You told me that I don't understand their culture,so do you study japanese culture?Do you study their history?Do you have japanese friends that told you about their own culture?I do...Well, I have studied the language culture under teachers who used to live there, I have friends who have lived there, I have friends who do live there, and I have even had Japanese exchange students stay with us.
Not to say that I have a complete understanding of everything, but I think I have enough to say that you're putting too strong of an importance on a culture that is not better or greater than any other prominent culture in the world today.

And I havent said that every american show is shallow and heroic,I never said that,infact there are some cartoons I find really good!And I never said that I don't respect american shows...You should watch what you imply. When you say that cartoons that come from Japan deserve a different classification from any other cartoon, even if it's of the same style, that is implying that Japanese cartoons all have something that other cartoons to not.

And I havent said either that every anime show is deep,I said that every anime has that deep seeded message in themselves,and not many ppl can realize it and learn from them...And it seems you're one of them...Unless you can agree that Scooby Doo, Tom & Jerry, and Muppet Babies all have deep seeded messages in them, then this statement is false.
There are plenty of Japanese cartoons that are no more deep than any of these. (See DiGi Charat for an example)

Hamashimura
01-08-2007, 12:53 PM
Hahaha,I love Muppet Babies!But that's show,not cartoon,no?
Tom & Jerry are from my childhood,along with road runner,there's no reason for me to say that they don't have messages...And as for Scooby,I never watched cartoon,just movies(hated it)...
And you might be right,I payed too much attention to old Japan,not modern...
Btw Ahs does not always succed,remember Indigo league,he lost cuz of his Charizard,and then he lost so many times from Gary,no?As for he suck's I agree...
Hm,come to think of it...I read what you said,kso,it pains me to say it,but you're right...I have to change my view...I'm gonna look that Scooby thing,and I will see more american cartoons,then I will judge...

Undrave Limito
01-08-2007, 01:39 PM
I'd just want to point out that Wikipedia is FAR from being a reliable source of information. At best it's a source of general conscensus. My teachers don't accept it as a source of information for any school work for exemple... so I would take everything there with a grain of salt.

I think wether you call a show 'American Anime' or 'a cartoon that rips-off the character design from an anime' or just 'cartoon' is a moot point. What matters is if the show is good or not.

Regex
01-08-2007, 02:02 PM
I'd just want to point out that Wikipedia is FAR from being a reliable source of information. At best it's a source of general conscensus. My teachers don't accept it as a source of information for any school work for exemple... so I would take everything there with a grain of salt.Wikipedia requires you to cite sources for any facts you include. If you don't want to believe Wikipedia itself, then follow the sources they provide, and spend additional time to learn all the same things that they've already compiled for everyone.

sakura rukia
01-08-2007, 05:49 PM
avatar is the best kappa dorky made fun of kakshi from narutoavatar is cool:cool: well thatis it

Bluefox-chan
01-08-2007, 06:58 PM
almost anything in current America is beyond stupid
(example=Hip Hop)
if a story isnt interesting in someway then its pointless, i myself have sat throw a couple of straight retarded animes(cartoons if u insist),books, and almost anything that requires my attention for a claim that it was suppose to be good, the only show listed and the top that i found good was Avatar.

i agree with the whole "if its animated then its anime" thing but some shows just make anime look bad...
che, i mean Pokemon STILL comes on...

0_o its not cool...

Ja!
Kitsune-sempai

Famahama
02-06-2007, 04:11 AM
Megas XLR and Avatar the last airbender

Moonlight Densetsu
02-10-2007, 12:50 AM
Avatar: The Last Airbender is a great American anime. Kappa Mikey is really lame.

R. Band
02-10-2007, 02:23 AM
Avatar: The Last Airbender is a great American anime. Kappa Mikey is really lame.

Naw, not that lame. Kappa Mikey is actually pretty good! It's like you're seeing cartoons join forces with anime!

Bizarre
02-22-2007, 09:19 AM
Do you really think that W.I.T.C.H. is anime? My opinion is that this is just a cartoon for children that took from anime some technics of drawing... not more.

bttr
02-22-2007, 09:34 AM
Kappa Mikey is good kakashi hatake(but they mixed up the name like takake hakashi) appeared in it as a doctor without a mask and show pics of chobits/dbz and others anime references. Megas xlr rocks .

Fetal Fetish
02-22-2007, 10:07 AM
I don't really have strong feelings for American anime. It's ok, but some jsut disgrace anime. Like Kappa Mikey. That show makes fun of anime, I just know it!

ParaParaJMo
02-22-2007, 11:37 AM
Well, I won't call Japanese style based animation in American "American anime." Afterall, anime is a Japanese term that just means animation in general. Japanese animation is based off some American style of animation and just modified it to their own interpretation which gave the international community another type of interpretation and the story goes on from there.

Saying the word anime to exclusivly mean "Japanese animation" is like misusing and misinterpretating the word "otaku." Non Japanese think it's a badge of honor while in Japan it's a stigma.

But yes, there are lots of Japanese animated influences in other country's animated works today. Like Ninja Turtles was always primarily Japanese influenced. The original comic was a mix of American comics with Japanese manga in tribute to them. The 2003 cartoon uses stories from the original comic and mixes in Japanese animated like action.

A lot of people bash the new Ninja Turtles cartoon but they really don't understand that the new cartoon represents what Laird and Eastman truly created back in 1984, but with lots of improvement. When people think Ninja Turtles, they just think the campy cartoon they grew up with though in the background in their sewer, they have calligraphy drawings that have "anime" written in katakana, lol.

I remember in one episode Donatello is sent to a future where the Shredder rules the world for nearly 30 years. Michaelangelo has a missing arm and Raphael has a lost eye. In the end, they raid the Shredder's fortress. All the Ninja Turtles die in this battle and Donatello uses this beam drill to cut the Shredder into pieces. It was weird to see something this extreme on 4kids TV. But Laird who works on the cartoon makes these loopholes with the use of plot twists like Shredder being be-headed to get away with it. I also think the action is top notch and has great writing and character use. Like people like Casey Jones and Usagi Yojimbo were one shot characters in the old cartoon, while in the comics and new cartoon, they were more important characters.

I remember somebody mentioned the 1990s Batman series. That show is a CLASSIC. Though aimed for kids, I really liked how it had a wide appeal to audiences. It had great stories, characters, and action. A good translation of the original comic. You feel the human in Batman and his struggles.

People are now starting to recognize the Japanese style of animation. The truth is, it's existed for years starting with Gigantor, Speed Racer, Robotech, and Voltron. Now America uses marketing techniques about how it was a big hit in Japan, a big hit in France, Spain, and Mexico and it's now America's turn blah blah blah.

People are attached to it's own unique style and think it would be cool to adapt that style to their own cartoons to attract audiences. Do I think it's cool? I'm not an artist and I have very limited art study, but I don't think art necessarily belongs to a specific country or culture. I believe no matter what race you are, everybody has a right to use what style best suits them. It's just up to the audience to watch it and like it.

Regex
02-22-2007, 11:49 AM
Well, I won't call Japanese style based animation in American "American anime." Afterall, anime is a Japanese term that just means animation in general. Japanese animation is based off some American style of animation and just modified it to their own interpretation which gave the international community another type of interpretation and the story goes on from there.

Saying the word anime to exclusivly mean "Japanese animation" is like misusing and misinterpretating the word "otaku." Non Japanese think it's a badge of honor while in Japan it's a stigma.But by the nature of language, when we borrow words from other languages, we put our own meanings on them. We use the word "otaku" here not as a badge of honor, but as a label. Otaku has the same negative stigma in Japan that "nerd" or "geek" have here, yet we still have people here in the US that are proud to call themselves nerds.

More on the anime subject, however. Yes, Japan borrowed the English word "animation" and adapted it to fit in their language, and the term "anime" in Japan refers to all animated cartoons. We've brought the word "anime" back from Japan as a word to describe cartoons of the Japanese style. Again, the nature of language, it is not a static thing. Language evolves with the ages. To say that something is "American anime" is to say that it is of the Japanese style, originating in America.

masterm
03-11-2007, 02:44 PM
i love megas xlr its a parody that takes a bit from gundam and gives it an american twist

Kristen
03-12-2007, 11:48 AM
Officially, Skarz, you're an idiot. :|

Moving away from that,

I'm a watcher of Avatar. And I have to say it is by far the best "anime based" show I have ever seen that isn't technically anime. The style is based off of it, and they've done a really great job. =) The show is hilarious, yet touches on serious points and it's very well done. I have no idea WHY it's on Nick, but- they've done alright. It's worthy of a watch, regardless of whether it's "anime" or not.

As for the others listed.. they're basically brain fillers. They're not meant to teach anything or have any intelligence required situations, they're meant to strictly entertain. And, for the record, w.i.t.c.h and Kappa Mikey are the two most ridiculously, sloppy, disgusting pieces of animation I have ever seen. The art sucks, for starts, the dialogue is poor and there's no educational value what-so-ever. :| Bah.

BSSM619
03-12-2007, 12:56 PM
American Animes

Anime or cartoons, I
could care less, because
if is good, I'm going to
watch it. I wouldn't care
if is American, Japanese, or
even Alien (the one from outer space)
I would watch it, if
I'm interested in it.

precious_angel
03-12-2007, 02:48 PM
there okay but there not great - if you know what i mean

NovaStar
03-12-2007, 03:54 PM
Number one: Animes is not a word ^_^ Japanese do not even use plural, even though the word is english it is still taken like for example "Rice" and "Rices" and the S is not added, so Anime is used as both plural and singular.

Getting back on topic, American Anime's? Not a chance, I highly disagree with the whole statement of their being an American Anime.

This isn't meant to flame by any means, this is just my opinion, but Anime in itself is an artform and artstyle, there is no one way you can say it's Japanese or it's English, it is a style

Totally Spies
Kappa Mikey
Loonatics Unleashed

All fall into the category of an American Show, they do a good Job of recreating the artstyle(especially Avatar) but is in no way an Anime

Anime as a term is used to describe something which fans of the genre(IE myself) believe to come from Japan, call me a fanboy if you want, but that's my opinion.

So while they do do a good job of recreating the artstyle? I don't consider any American release show to be an Anime.

Regex
03-12-2007, 04:17 PM
Anime as a term is used to describe something which fans of the genre(IE myself) believe to come from Japan, call me a fanboy if you want, but that's my opinion.

So while they do do a good job of recreating the artstyle? I don't consider any American release show to be an Anime.
This does make you a fanboy and a purist, which both inherently hinder the progression of art.

The beauty of all forms of art is how they progress as they are influenced by people all over the world. To declare that this form of art has to originate from one specific geographic location is terribly closed of you.

NovaStar
03-12-2007, 04:52 PM
This does make you a fanboy and a purist, which both inherently hinder the progression of art.

The beauty of all forms of art is how they progress as they are influenced by people all over the world. To declare that this form of art has to originate from one specific geographic location is terribly closed of you.

I get your opinion of me, you've said it twice, you need no longer bring it up, not to be rude, but every time I've posted an opinion(twice by my count now) you've called me closed minded, you don't know me, nor do you know how I think.. so I'll at least try to explain what goes through my head.

not to be disrespectful, but I have what's called an opinion ^_^ I'm entitled to that I believe, so quoting saying I'm closed minded only adds fuel to me continuing to be whom I am :)

I love Anime, You love Anime, anyone who's here, loves Anime but look at it from my point Reg.

Anime in itself has only been done WELL by the Japanese, thus even though there have been Some attempts to recreate it, I don't nessicarily think it was done well.

Also Copying or working off of fame(IE: The Kappa Mikey complex) which was originally made to pay homage to ANIME(and it has been said) is a prime example of what I mean

I've nothing against Artform, I completely agree with what you said:

The beauty of all forms of art is how they progress as they are influenced by people all over the world.

I couldn't agree more, I also will completely agree with you that I'm an anime fanboy, of course I am, 60 &#37; of the people here are, I'm just more vocal

I'd apreciate it if you would refrain from calling me closed minded, it's really starting to offend me.

In Closing: I will agree with you 50/50. Art in itself should be spread and shared across the world, but so far, in terms of Anime, America has not done the style justice. Nor has any place other than Japan in my opinion.

They can keep trying and untill they do as good as a job I won't consider it on par with Japanese Anime (However I will still consider it a Form of it)

.Gogo
03-12-2007, 04:59 PM
Anime in itself is an artform and artstyle, there is no one way you can say it's Japanese or it's English, it is a style

You certainly contradict yourself. First you say that it is just a style w/o relevance to whether it is japanese or english, then you state that it is designated to come from solely japan.

Anyhow, your "belief" is just that, your belief. As many of us have pointed out already with something I like to call "facts", anime is established as a japanese word identifying all forms of animation, and is a word adopted by others around the world to identify the japanese style of animation.

I'll say it again, doesn't matter where you are so long as you do it right.

NovaStar
03-12-2007, 05:12 PM
You certainly contradict yourself. First you say that it is just a style w/o relevance to whether it is japanese or english, then you state that it is designated to come from solely japan.

Anyhow, your "belief" is just that, your belief. As many of us have pointed out already with something I like to call "facts", anime is established as a japanese word identifying all forms of animation, and is a word adopted by others around the world to identify the japanese style of animation.

I'll say it again, doesn't matter where you are so long as you do it right.

Nobody has done the Art right for anime aisde from Japan, that's exactly my point

As for my first post? I was up untill 6 AM last night, so I may have contradicted myself somehow, I'll edit it when I get home over the next few days, please Ignore the first post.

Also: Don't quote the word "Facts" as if you're making fun of me. I'm completely aware that sometimes things I post won't make any sense to anyone but me, you came across as very Ignorant here) Though I'm sure you didn't mean to)

Also: You stated that I said it should come "Soley From Japan" never did I say that America or any other country had no business doing it, I said they didn't do it well(Which Is true)

Gjallarhorn
03-12-2007, 05:20 PM
Nobody has done the Art right for anime aisde from Japan, that's exactly my point

Also: Don't quote the word "Facts" as if you're making fun of me. I'm completely aware that sometimes things I post won't make any sense to anyone but me, you came across as very Ignorant here) Though I'm sure you didn't mean to)
Stating facts isn't "making fun of", it's correcting or telling a truth. Posting facts does not make one ignorant. Being ignorant of the facts makes one ignorant.

Regex
03-12-2007, 06:29 PM
I get your opinion of me, you've said it twice, you need no longer bring it up, not to be rude, but every time I've posted an opinion(twice by my count now) you've called me closed minded, you don't know me, nor do you know how I think.. so I'll at least try to explain what goes through my head.I never claimed to know you even once. But when you say things that are closed-minded, I will correct you. It's what I do. I don't have to know you intimately to understand what it is that you are trying to say here.

Understand this. This is a discussion forum. This is not NovaStar's personal ranting ground for people who agree with him or her. When you post, people will respond, either in agreement, or in disagreement. Do not be surprised if you are called closed minded when you make blanket statements as if they are fact about a subject that is so open as this one.

not to be disrespectful, but I have what's called an opinion ^_^ I'm entitled to that I believe, so quoting saying I'm closed minded only adds fuel to me continuing to be whom I am :)You are entitled to believe whatever you like, no matter how wrong you may be. But you are no more entitled to your thoughts on this issue than I am entitled to mine. If you are going to make your thoughts and beliefs public, expect public criticism. That's what discussion boards are for.

Nowww, onto the on topic bits

I love Anime, You love Anime, anyone who's here, loves Anime but look at it from my point Reg.

Anime in itself has only been done WELL by the Japanese, thus even though there have been Some attempts to recreate it, I don't nessicarily think it was done well.As such, this doesn't mean that these other attempts are not anime. It only means that you don't prefer them. As Maid Mia pointed out, you said this:
Anime as a term is used to describe something which fans of the genre(IE myself) believe to come from Japan, call me a fanboy if you want, but that's my opinion.This is an extreme statement, not a factual one. You declared it as opinion, but this is important to understand. Belief on the use of words by a select few does not change things. You can argue that the only true breed of dog is the pit bull all you like, but as of today, the term "dog" applies to anything from the german shepherd to the toy poodle.

I'd apreciate it if you would refrain from calling me closed minded, it's really starting to offend me.If you are offended by being called closed minded, make your statements less extreme and concrete. Voice your opinions as opinions, not as "Everyone who doesn't do it 100&#37; perfect is wrong."

In Closing: I will agree with you 50/50. Art in itself should be spread and shared across the world, but so far, in terms of Anime, America has not done the style justice. Nor has any place other than Japan in my opinion.

They can keep trying and untill they do as good as a job I won't consider it on par with Japanese Anime (However I will still consider it a Form of it)If this is your final answer, then I accept it. You may not like American anime as much as Japanese anime, and that's absolutely allowed.

One more thing

Also: Don't quote the word "Facts" as if you're making fun of me. I'm completely aware that sometimes things I post won't make any sense to anyone but me, you came across as very Ignorant here) Though I'm sure you didn't mean to)You're getting extremely defensive, and this takes away from the pleasant debate that I love oh so much. The truth of the matter is this. She was making fun of you. facts are provable data. Opinions are personal subjective beliefs. You mentioned earlier how you were entitled to your opinion, but your whole post indicated that you treat your personal opinion as fact. It's important to understand that if you're arguing an opinion, you can be right at the same time as someone arguing a differing opinion.

But facts are provable data. Such as language usage, which is what this discussion is about. When facts are presented, they can not be argued. Only proven or disproven, and then interpreted.

Rowloman
03-12-2007, 09:05 PM
Anime is Animation, it's a french word, Japanimation comes from japan anime comes from all over end of discussion.

wolfgirl90
03-12-2007, 09:18 PM
Anime has become both a style and a specific genre. If someone were to hear the word "anime", you would probably automatically think about a Japanese cartoon; unless you grew up with Avatar first (I have heard young children refer to Avatar as anime). I am very aware that the Japanese use the word "anime" to refer to all cartoons, Japanese or not but, for many years, that is not how we used the word. We have used it to refer to cartoons with Japanese origin.

Now, shows like W.I.T.C.H and Code Lyoko use the anime style of animation but I would not call them anime (they're not Japanese). Of course, the Japanese would call them anime, regardless. There are very good cartoons, like Avatar, who's animation is obviously influenced by anime but despite my love for Avatar, I would never call it an anime; or an "American anime" for that matter.

However, there two special shows that break away from the traditional definition. For example, IGPX was made by Cartoon Network with partnership with Production I.G. However, what Cartoon Network worked on with the show is unclear to me as Production I.G wrote, directed and animated the show. The dubbing was not even done by them (Bang Zoom! Entertainment did it). And in Japan, Cartoon Network worked with Japan to create Demashita! Powerpuff Girls Z (I shouldn't even have to explain what Cartoon Network contributed). Both of these are well known as anime, with nobody calling them anything else.

Also, I'm going to point out that many of the cartoons that some people have mentioned are not even American. Totally Spies is French, Code Lyoko is French and W.I.T.C.H is a French cartoon based off of an Italian comic book series. And, by the way, anime is not a french word (why would we use a french word to describe a Japanese cartoon?):rolleyes: . It is from the Japanese word for animation ("animeshon"). Plus, America stopped using the word "Japanimation" back in the '90's.:banghead:

Rowloman
03-12-2007, 09:21 PM
Look on wiki under anime it clearly states anime is a french word, or has french origins or something.

.Gogo
03-12-2007, 10:23 PM
you don't know me,

JERRY JERRY JERRY! Sorry, just witnessed a Jerry Springer flashback.

Opinion.

Also: Don't quote the word "Facts" as if you're making fun of me.

Admittedly I was, there's no "as if" about it. What I've seen from you is alot of opinion without facts to back it up. I quoted the word "facts" along with the word "beliefs" to emphasize that they were opposites was all.

Also: You stated that I said it should come "Soley From Japan" never did I say that America or any other country had no business doing it, I said they didn't do it well(Which Is true)

You said that if Americans do it it's not called anime. That is saying that the title anime is reserved solely for the japanese. And that is what I was referring to in my post.

Actually, I was emphazi I'm completely aware that sometimes things I post won't make any sense to anyone but me, you came across as very Ignorant here) Though I'm sure you didn't mean to)

Actually, I don't see how I came across as ignorant at all. You admit that you "post things that make no sense to anyone but yourself", yet you expect everyone to agree with you. And I am the ignorant one.

kyubichan
03-13-2007, 12:53 AM
Wiki link for the lazy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anime)

For the ones who are discussing where the term "anime" originated from, look under Etymology.

If you ask me, I don't care about the term and its uses anymore. All the bickering over "anime is not cartoons" and "they're only ANIME-STYLED" is just too tiring.

-Batman-
03-13-2007, 01:09 AM
Totally Spies

Protip: Totally Spies is french, not American.

Fanboy.

Anime in itself has only been done WELL by the Japanese

Korea

Nobody has done the Art right for anime aisde from Japan,

That is the most clouded and closed minded statement i've seen on this forum in a while.

You can't sit there and say a specific ethnic group or nationality is better suited at drawing/painting/CGing a specific style of artwork.
By that logic.
A person of Japanese nationality, No matter HOW hard he tried, no matter HOW hard he studied, would NEVER be able to draw...Say...This?
http://media.comics.ign.com/media/735/735538/img_3451489.html
As good as an American can, because it's an american style drawing, and thus the Japanese can't do it right.

kyubichan
03-13-2007, 01:26 AM
Aa~ to quiet down the fanboys, in addition to what Deadpool said, did you know that the inbetweeners for most anime are not even Japanese but *gasp* Koreans and Filipinos? We have a local branch of Toei, and some episodes of Sailor Moon and Dragonball were made here. BY PINOYS.

So, take that! XD

NovaStar
03-13-2007, 01:08 PM
I never claimed to know you even once. But when you say things that are closed-minded, I will correct you. It's what I do. I don't have to know you intimately to understand what it is that you are trying to say here.

Understand this. This is a discussion forum. This is not NovaStar's personal ranting ground for people who agree with him or her. When you post, people will respond, either in agreement, or in disagreement. Do not be surprised if you are called closed minded when you make blanket statements as if they are fact about a subject that is so open as this one.

You are entitled to believe whatever you like, no matter how wrong you may be. But you are no more entitled to your thoughts on this issue than I am entitled to mine. If you are going to make your thoughts and beliefs public, expect public criticism. That's what discussion boards are for.

Nowww, onto the on topic bits
As such, this doesn't mean that these other attempts are not anime. It only means that you don't prefer them. As Maid Mia pointed out, you said this: This is an extreme statement, not a factual one. You declared it as opinion, but this is important to understand. Belief on the use of words by a select few does not change things. You can argue that the only true breed of dog is the pit bull all you like, but as of today, the term "dog" applies to anything from the german shepherd to the toy poodle.

If you are offended by being called closed minded, make your statements less extreme and concrete. Voice your opinions as opinions, not as "Everyone who doesn't do it 100&#37; perfect is wrong."

If this is your final answer, then I accept it. You may not like American anime as much as Japanese anime, and that's absolutely allowed.

One more thing
You're getting extremely defensive, and this takes away from the pleasant debate that I love oh so much. The truth of the matter is this. She was making fun of you. facts are provable data. Opinions are personal subjective beliefs. You mentioned earlier how you were entitled to your opinion, but your whole post indicated that you treat your personal opinion as fact. It's important to understand that if you're arguing an opinion, you can be right at the same time as someone arguing a differing opinion.

But facts are provable data. Such as language usage, which is what this discussion is about. When facts are presented, they can not be argued. Only proven or disproven, and then interpreted.

I completely understand why I got flamed here, there are a few things that I'd like to say though

One: Regex and everyone else here: I may sound like I'm foceful in my opinions(which is what they are) but I don't mean to come across as if they were gospel by any means.

So for that: I am extremely sorry, I didn't mean to come acrosss as a Know it all Jerk, that isn't me at all

Regex: I agree with you, this isn't my personal ranting forum ^_^ it never has been, I signed up here six days ago with the absolute best hopes to make friends(which to be honest with you I have) and have a good time (Which to be honest with you I'm doing)

As far as me saying about Japan being the best at creating the anime style art? Yes, that's my opinion I'm not DISCOUNTING America's work. I just don't see it on the same leve.

I never thought I'd be flamed as much as I was here, and I certainly didn't mean to come across as a complete Idiot (Which I hope none of you think I am) I just have a biased opinion (Because of course, I'm an Anime Fanboy)

Though I don't at all think my opinion is godly, nor do I as Someone thought "Take it as fact" - I'm completely open to those whom want to give me their opinion

I'm sorry for coming across wrong, I can see after rereading my own posts why I deserved the flames I recieved.

I'll try to sum this up as best I can without raising any flames from anyone, or trying to be rude

America has become a key player in the Anime industry, though there are some things (IN MY OPINION) they do not do correctly.

Also: I apreciate whomever brought up Korea as an alternative to Japan, I completely forgot Mahnwa at the time (I sounded like a babbling idiot, because yesterday I was very very tired)

To Close Out: I think America Can do well, I just don't think they'll be on the Same level as Japan has achived.

My apologies to anyone I ticked off.

Second Edit: Flame War should stop here ^_^ It was my fault completely, and I hope we can get this thread back on topic, I was dead tired when I made my original post, and It made no sense what so ever

Bibi of the Blue Sea
03-13-2007, 02:51 PM
Regex, Maid Mia, and -Deadpool- already stated what I had in mind.
So, I will just say this: I happen to like Avatar: the Last Airbender. The storyline is really nice and different. I wish it was a manga so I could read it in my spare time.

NovaStar
03-13-2007, 03:23 PM
Regex, Maid Mia, and -Deadpool- already stated what I had in mind.
So, I will just say this: I happen to like Avatar: the Last Airbender. The storyline is really nice and different. I wish it was a manga so I could read it in my spare time.

Yup, Avatar's amazing as far as the American Style goes, it's one of the only reasons I still turn on my TV xD I love it.

Though the only thing that ticks me off is I'm never able to tune in at directly the right time (what I mean by that is, I'll always end up tuning in in the middle of the season) T_T

But yeah: Avatar? Great show

zyronet
04-12-2007, 02:31 AM
calm down guys... huh??
AVATAR: The Legend of Aang the last air bender..( that was long..)
is so cool... having those mix up comedy and action.. aang and sokka are funny, and the uncle of zuko (what's his name again??) is really a wiseman.. (haha.. he likes Jasmine tea, what is that??)

BloodWrath
04-14-2007, 12:48 AM
If any show is making fun of anime, it's AdultSwim's "Perfect Hair Forever". What does that even mean? I couldn't believe when one saturday they replaced and entire 2 1/2 hour block of really good anime with that stupid crap.

deaddingo
04-14-2007, 01:15 AM
I think megatokyo is a pretty darn good OEL manga.

Twig Ee
04-15-2007, 09:09 PM
I like Avatar the last air bender

The_SolarGod
04-21-2007, 06:52 AM
in which category does "full metal alchemist" belongs??

>>american anime
>>japanese anime
i am really confused... :p