PDA

View Full Version : Nine Inch Nails

Fragile.Dreams
12-29-2006, 08:55 AM
Well I think Nine Inch Nails are extremely rad and such.

So, what are your views on the band?
What are your favourite songs?
Favourite band member?

:)

Personally I like:
The Great Below.
Sin.
Happiness In Slavery.
Ruiner.
The Day The Whole World Went Away.

Etc.

Gandizzl
12-29-2006, 09:04 AM
NIN is great ^^
Trent Reznor is a genius, nothing less.

I had hoped to see them when they're comming here in April or something, but it was at a really small place so the tickets were gone in like 10minutes <.<

I'm not so into their first album, but after that I like most of he's made.
Favorite songs must be:
- Star****ers, Inc.
- Closer
- Hurt
- Suck
- The Hand That Feeds
- Head Like A Hole
- The Wretched
- Piggy
- Wish

Fragile.Dreams
12-29-2006, 09:33 AM
They are great, and Trent is a genius. :)

NIN are coming to Australia next year! Which is very exciting, I have to go and see them.

It's a shame the tickets to the show sold out so quickly, are they coming back anytime soon?

Nice list of songs. ;) Closer is an absolute classic. Heh heh.

Slumber
12-29-2006, 08:20 PM
The band has grown on me in the last year. Trent Reznor writes some very dark, angst filled music, that;s not the most cheery, but I don't mind that too much.

Vasarian
12-29-2006, 11:50 PM
NIN is on my top list of favorite bands... but I really hated the last album... I never managed to listen completly to it...

My Favs song in no particular order :
-Hurt
-Closer
-Something I can never have
- Somewhat Damaged
-La Mer
- Star****ers

Okita-Kun
12-31-2006, 12:45 PM
I love Nine Inch Nails. I went to see Trent Reznor last summer and it was amazing. I was expecting it to be Trent Reznor's show, however, it was not like that at all. His band members actually go the spot light from time to time.

Trent has a truly powerful voice that not many have matched. Of course there are Robert Plant and as much as I hate to say it Marilyn Manson (yeah he's a poser but he has an amazing voice). He's also a decent guitarist (love the guitar work in Hurt), and not a bad drummer and genious song writer.

My favorite songs are Closer, Hand That Feeds, Somewhat Damaged, That's What I Get, Wish, The Fragile, Star ****ers Inc, Down In It, Sin, Slipping Away, Heresy, Terrible Lie, Happiness In Slavery, Something I Can Never Have, Hurt, All That Could Have Been, Kinda I want To, Head Like A Hole, along with others that I have failed to mention.

Abstract Me
01-02-2007, 12:19 AM
Oh my lord.

Nine Inch Nails is my favorite band. They have been for several years now.
Their music has touched me like no other music has. It can sweep me into different moods just by one note. Furiously angry - then thoughtful and poigant. Anguished and sorrowful - but then steady and determined. So many emotions processed through Trent Reznor's music - even the instrumentals take me to another world. Nine Inch Nails proved to me just how powerful music can be, and I am forever in debt to this wonderful band and their life-changing music.

I've only seen them once in concert - recently, on the With Teeth tour. It was an amazing show. I'm glad I went. I wish I was old enough to have seen Trent and the boys during the Self Destruct tour. *sigh*

My favorite songs are just about every song of theirs. I absolutely love La Mer, A Warm Place, Just Like You Imagined, We're In This Together Now, The Fragile, The Great Below, Eraser, Ruiner, Heresy, Head Like a Hole, Happiness in Slavery, Wish, Last, Starf**kers Inc., All the Love in the World, With Teeth, Right Where It Belongs...

Like I said, just about every song of theirs.

On an unrelated topic, someone said Marilyn Manson's voice is amazing. I wholeheartedly disagree. But that's my opinion.

I pose another question though (if anyone will answer): Did anyone like the recent album, With Teeth?

Okita-Kun
01-02-2007, 06:08 PM
Yes I liked the album.

I don't like Manson don't get me wrong. However, he has a very versatile voice. As far as a person goes, I despise Manson. As a vocalist however, I respect him.

Abstract Me
01-02-2007, 08:20 PM
I don't really like Manson. His voice is...well, it's okay, I guess. I never found anything particularly special about it. Again, it's just my opinion.

I'm glad you liked With Teeth though. Finally someone agrees! There has been endless people saying to me that it was a horrible album - too commercial, not "NIN-ish" enough, and boring. I really like the album though, especially With Teeth and Right Where It Belongs. The only thing I could complain about is that there were no instrumentals. NIN always have the most amazing instrumentals...

By the way, does anyone know of news on the next album? I heard it was called BleedingThrough, but does anyone know about a release date or other details? And also, if anyone has news about Closure being released on DVD, I'd appreciate it.

Okita-Kun
01-03-2007, 08:03 PM
Well, the people who say that With Teeth was commercial obviously haven't been a NIN fan for as long as I have because NIN has always been commercial. I know I sound really old when I say this but I am actually only 17 and have simply been listening to music for my entire life. I remember the first time I stayed up late enough to see the video for Closer. My mom saw it and was disgusted and never let me watch MTV that late again.

Okita-Kun
01-03-2007, 08:05 PM
In a 2005 interview with Kerrang!, Reznor said that he intended to write material for a new release during the With Teeth tour.[67] In early 2006, Reznor stated on the Spiral that the new record marked a "shift in direction" and "doesn't sound like With Teeth."[66] Subsequent tour merchandise featuring overt references to the United States Military appeared, which "reflects future directions," according to Reznor.[66] Near the end of the 2006 tour, Reznor intimated that his plan was to return to the studio, finish the new material, and release it in 2007.[68] Updates on the Spiral indicate that the next NIN album will feature collaboration with Atticus Ross and Alan Moulder and should be released in April 2007.[66] According to Reznor's blog on the official NIN website, the album recording was finished on December 13, 2006 and will be mixed in January. Fifteen all-new tracks are being considered for inclusion on the album, which Reznor describes as "highly conceptual," "quite noisy" and "****ing cool."[69] Reznor described the album as "not a particularly friendly record" that "certainly doesn't sound like anything else out there right now."[70]

Thousand Eyes
01-03-2007, 08:09 PM
I listen to "Broken" EP whenever I'm angry. I love it. That and "Downward Spiral" are probably my favourite records by NIN. They have the most of my favourite songs by that band. "Hurt" is probably the theme song of my life.

Abstract Me
01-03-2007, 09:42 PM
Thank you so much for the info, Okita-kun. ^^ I appreciate it very much.

And I do agree that NIN has been somewhat commercial. Not too much, but it's always had a way of being mainstream in this sort of...not mainstream way. o.o; I can't explain things very good. I hope you know what I mean. xD

I like the Johnny Cash version of Hurt almost as much as the original.

Okita-Kun
01-26-2007, 08:05 PM
I know exactly what you're saying. NIN is one of those bands that are not popular just because they do whatever is popular at a time. Trent Reznor makes great music and that pays off for him. With Teeth was no more commercial that anything else Trent Reznor has ever released. He has been in this game for a long time therefore he has become very well known.

Trent Reznor blows Marilyn Manson out of the water. All Marilyn Manson fans who insult Trent Reznor for their many reasons need to realize that during the first stages of Manson's career, Trent Reznor was carrying him on his shoulders. He would be no where without Reznor.

Abstract Me
01-30-2007, 10:03 PM
All Marilyn Manson fans who insult Trent Reznor for their many reasons need to realize that during the first stages of Manson's career, Trent Reznor was carrying him on his shoulders. He would be no where without Reznor.

You said it perfectly.

Fragile.Dreams
02-01-2007, 04:31 AM
Yeah, that's very true.
Reznor made Manson.

Anyone seen them live?
They look super good live.
What's your favourite film clip of NIN?

Okita-Kun
02-01-2007, 01:20 PM
I went to see NIN last summer and in Charollote and it was an amazing show. I also got to see Trent Reznor singing "Rain rain go away. Come again some other day." while it was raining.

Fragile.Dreams
02-03-2007, 07:56 AM
Australian Tour Dates for NIN have been released!!!
Here is what I know:

May 7 - Brisbane, Queensland - Riverstage [ON SALE: 23 February]

May 9 - Sydney, NSW - Big Top Luna Park [ON SALE: 23 February]

May 13 - Melbourne, Victoria - Metro Nightclub [ON SALE: 23 February]

iRevo
03-16-2007, 12:33 PM
I have just started listening to NIN. It seems they are muscial geniuses!!!!
Fave songs:

head like a hole
The hand that feeds
Only
hurt
Into teh void

Alicaryn Silentread
03-16-2007, 12:37 PM
Oooh. I could say...the first song I ever heard from them was the infamous kink song, "Closer." I love N.I.N. But I am not their biggest fan by any means. I really enjoy their music though, and will listen to anything they will put out, or have put out in the past. =D

Abstract Me
03-17-2007, 11:11 PM
Sanosuke, keep listening! They are a band worth your time.

And may I say, I got the Beside You In Time DVD a couple of weeks ago, and it's wonderful. Right Where It Belongs almost moved me to tears. I miss Trent's hair though.

Yesterday I heard Survivalism - the new single for the upcoming album Year Zero. It's great, I can't wait to get it!

Scarlet Wings
03-18-2007, 06:04 PM
I think they're very overrated. It seems every song I've heard sounds pretty much the same, which is fairly boring.

Abstract Me
03-22-2007, 09:09 PM
It seems every song I've heard sounds pretty much the same, which is fairly boring.

I'm guessing you're hearing work from only one album? Because I know that NIN's work can be diverse. Listen to Hurt, then listen to Happiness in Slavery, then listen to La Mer, then listen to Only. It doesn't sound the same to me.

Scarlet Wings
03-25-2007, 03:22 PM
I'm guessing you're hearing work from only one album? Because I know that NIN's work can be diverse. Listen to Hurt, then listen to Happiness in Slavery, then listen to La Mer, then listen to Only. It doesn't sound the same to me.
Thank you I'll check it out. =)

nosfarartu
03-25-2007, 03:30 PM
im not that much into them but i do like the hand that feeds and only they are pretty cool

Ukenin
03-25-2007, 05:50 PM
Fav song : March of the Pigs

DarkPrinceBman
03-28-2007, 07:31 PM
Its nice to see so many people interested in Trents work. Looking at most of the past post I can see a lot of people know the history of his lable company, and the rise of Manson. I listen to both Marilyn Manson and Nine Inch Nails daily, and I must say that it never gets old.

I have heared from a lot of people that the album "[With_Teeth]" was not up to their 'expectations after the powerful and raw effects of "Pretty Hate Machine" the seemingly hypnotic and engaging lyrics of " The Downward Spiral", especially "The Fragile" That many that are born after the 90s would have come to know as the peek of NIN. I have to say that [With_Teeth] showed evolution from the standards and exploration of musical capability.

Though I must say that, Survivalism...is not to my liking, it is very experimental, and Trents vocals are deffinatly being tested, I think they compromised there originality with evolution.

DarkPrinceBman's Song List

Right Where It Belongs
Hurt
Closer
Head Like A Hole
Everyday Is Exactly The Same
The Day The World Went Away

and the coolaboration of Marilyn Manson and NIN's on the "AntiChrist" album

Abstract Me
03-28-2007, 10:34 PM
I have heared from a lot of people that the album "[With_Teeth]" was not up to their 'expectations after the powerful and raw effects of "Pretty Hate Machine" the seemingly hypnotic and engaging lyrics of " The Downward Spiral", especially "The Fragile" That many that are born after the 90s would have come to know as the peek of NIN. I have to say that [With_Teeth] showed evolution from the standards and exploration of musical capability.

Yes. But I do agree that his past work is Trent's finest. The Downward Spiral will no doubt forever be called his best album, and since his new stuff is pretty different than what he has been doing in the past, people who are so used to hearing one style from NIN (and people that don't like change in general) will be against With Teeth and most likely his upcoming album too. I think people need to give it a chance, that's all. You can't judge an album from one song, especially with a band like NIN. Trent likes to experiment with his music, and as far as I'm concerned, anything he does, I will most definitely give a chance (and I end up liking anyway!).

Fragile.Dreams
04-15-2007, 08:34 PM
The new songs I'm not sure I like or not.
They are really repetitive.
I still love the band though.
And Trent is hott haha.

Anyway, I'm seeing them live in about 3 weeks.
Awesome. :)

The Downward Spiral is (I think) their best album.
I really like Pretty Hate Machine though...(And The Fragile)

Manhattan_Project_2000
04-15-2007, 08:59 PM
Since With Teeth, he’s kind of gone into a more mellow introspection rather then the furious anger he had on the first few albums. Maybe it shows personal evolution, but I think that it is a step back musically. Maybe it'll gel better on the next album, or the album after that, but With Teeth was still noticeably worse then The Downward Spiral (haven't got around to getting The Fragile yet). I also think it's worth mentioning that, whatever music he's doing now: it isn't industrial.

That said: Favorite Tracks.
Deep
Head Like a Hole
Terrible Lie
Down In It
Something I Can Never Have
Mr. Self Destruct
Heresy
March of the Pigs
Closer
The Becoming
Hurt
Every Day Is Exactly the Same
Right Where It Belongs
We’re In This Together

iRevo
04-15-2007, 10:23 PM
Yes my friends year zero is coming!
If you want to listen to their songs, there are several sites that will let you listen to them
I would highly recommend Survivalism.

Manhattan_Project_2000
04-15-2007, 11:17 PM
Yes my friends year zero is coming!
If you want to listen to their songs, there are several sites that will let you listen to them
I would highly recommend Survival.

You mean Survivalism, and it isn't that great.

iRevo
04-16-2007, 06:47 AM
You mean Survivalism, and it isn't that great.
The album's name is Year Zero

Manhattan_Project_2000
04-16-2007, 11:09 PM
I meant the song, it's Survivalism != Survival.

Annie Hall
04-16-2007, 11:21 PM
Alright here's my two cent...whatever that means.

I reallly reallly like their old stuff, and I'm sorry but when they went off the deep end of industrial to me ALL their songs started sounding the same...it's frustrating.
But whatever I guess that's just my opinion.

I like the songs like Closer, Every day is exactly the same, Only, the hand that feeds, Mr Self Destruct, and Happiness in Slavery.

iRevo
04-17-2007, 06:52 AM
Try their new songs,Almost Infamous.

Slumber
04-17-2007, 06:56 PM
Year Zero could the best album released in the last three years, I think.

Abstract Me
04-20-2007, 07:59 PM
Whoa. Haven't been here in...forever!

Okay. Well. Regarding their new cd, I haven't formed a definite opinion of it. It is very different. It is not the same sound anymore, for sure (more along the lines of Depeche Mode-sounding). I have the album, but I haven't gotten the chance to listen to it in its entirety, being so busy lately (and also I'm sharing it with my boyfriend).

From what I heard, it is pretty good. There are some really good songs on there. Trent has grown with his music, as all artists do (well, really should), and I respect that. It's unfair in my point of view to compare all his recent work to the Downward Spiral, since he's changed musically and as a person. I agree that his past work is probably going to be golden and his current work bronze, but still. (I'm just a NIN fan either way. So much respect for Trent!)

Also, I don't understand the bias that is going around (not on this forum, just talk among people I know) that "since the album is political, it sucks". Can someone explain this sort of twisted mentality to me?

Anyway. I might post at a later date on further thoughts on the album, once I get a better feel of it.

Tsuna Kadiri
04-20-2007, 08:10 PM
I don't know much about NIN. They're one of those bands where I wanted to look into more of their music, but I never did. The only thing I really know about them is that Richard Patrick (frontman of Filter/Army of Anyone; I love both bands to death) was a touring guitarist for them for about two years early on in their careers.

I should check out some of their stuff sometime, though.

Abstract Me
04-20-2007, 08:21 PM
Yes! You will be converted!

No, they are worth looking into. I suggest getting their older stuff, most notably The Downward Spiral and The Fragile.

Sorry for the over-enthusiasm. I'll sit down now!

Dragon Ichigo
04-21-2007, 01:01 AM
I'm in love with their new single "Survivalism".

iRevo
04-27-2007, 06:58 AM
so,has anyone bought their new album?

Fragile.Dreams
05-06-2007, 08:28 AM
The new album is ok...
Not sure if I like it or dislike it yet.
I'm finding it a bit repetitive so far.

I'm seeing them live TOMORROW NIGHT!!!
Yay!

How awesome.

MomijiTMO
05-06-2007, 08:33 AM
The new album is ok...
Not sure if I like it or dislike it yet.
I'm finding it a bit repetitive so far.

I'm seeing them live TOMORROW NIGHT!!!
Yay!

How awesome.

Have fun! It should be good.

Fragile.Dreams
05-06-2007, 08:35 AM
I'm hoping so.
It'll be good to swoon over Trent anyway.

Hmm I still don't know about the new album.

MomijiTMO
05-07-2007, 09:10 PM
I went to the city last night to meet up with a friend who lives in Cairns but is here for work. . . . . the whole city was flooded with NIN fans. . . . black everywhere :laugh:

Abstract Me
05-07-2007, 09:37 PM
Now I'll give you my opinion of Year Zero.

Okay. Well. The album has really grown on me. At first I wasn't too sure about it, because it is really different. Some of it is a bit repetitive, but it grows on you the more you listen. Trent's vocals are weird sometimes as well (most notably on Capital G) but I think overall that Year Zero is great. It's not his best, of course, but I don't think any fans should disregard it automatically. Like With Teeth, it takes some getting used to, and once you listen to it repeatedly, you like it more and more.

My favorite songs are The Good Solider, Capital G (it's catchy ;-;), My Violent Heart (true Trent lyrics :P), God Given (my favorite so far), The Greater Good, and Another Version of the Truth. Actually...they're all sort of growing on me. :D

And please do not judge the whole album off of Survivalism. It is one of the weakest songs on the album in my opinion. There are way better songs than that one!

I will be commenting more later on when I hear other people's input. ^^/)

OminousCloud
05-15-2007, 02:51 AM
Nine Inch Nails are fantastic!

I got to see them in concert on Wednesday, which was really cool cos the other two shows got rescheduled for September.

I'm not into the older stuff that much, but I do like the newer stuff.

iRevo
05-15-2007, 04:44 PM
Have you done this before(?):
Expose the Year Zero CD's front to high heat( like a lamp) and keep it like that for over like 30 seconds or more. See what happens to the front.

DO NOT: expose it to a candle,flame,or stove top(you might burn it)

Abstract Me
05-15-2007, 08:18 PM
Have you done this before(?):
Expose the Year Zero CD's front to high heat( like a lamp) and keep it like that for over like 30 seconds or more. See what happens to the front.

Yes yes! The colors change when heated. The idea is that it will turn white whenever you play the cd, and whenever it cools down, it will go back to dark. It's pretty neat. The first time I saw it, I freaked out though. I was all "wtf is wrong with my cd?!"

There are also weblinks on the booklet and I think the cd cover too. I never been to them, but they were used for promotional purposes before the release. I think that's pretty nifty.

I just want to say that I think it's great that Trent controls almost everything he puts out now. Most artists and bands are in the control of the record executives. Trent does everything almost independently. I think that's why NIN has lasted so long, rather than going away after one hit.

Oops, I rambled. Sorry. xD

iRevo
05-16-2007, 06:39 AM
btw,have you ever called that number at the back of the CD.The U.S. Department of Morality?

Abstract Me
05-16-2007, 06:36 PM
btw,have you ever called that number at the back of the CD.The U.S. Department of Morality?

No, I haven't, but I think I read that it's supposed to be a recording message or something. Do it and see what happens! :D

iRevo
05-17-2007, 06:14 AM
lol, I did it was a message that seems to make you insane. If not, just make a good laugh about it! XD

PoisonIvyy
05-18-2007, 10:13 AM
NIN is excellent, but I prefer their older music it was more...raw? I love industrial, it leaned more towards that in my perspective.

OminousCloud
05-24-2007, 05:21 AM
I prefer the new stuff to the old stuff, lyrically. As far as sound goes, I'm on the fence.

Abstract Me
05-24-2007, 09:13 AM
I can't really decide either way. Musically, I like the older stuff. Lyrically, I think it's about even.

Manhattan_Project_2000
05-24-2007, 05:43 PM
Old stuff, all the way, in every department.

Number_the_Stars
05-26-2007, 12:19 PM
Closer
Hurt
The Day The World Went Away
The Hand That Feeds
All very awesome songs by this group....

Abstract Me
05-29-2007, 11:57 PM
Gotta say this.

Guitars/Bass on "The Warning"... <333

I feel like fainting due to happiness because it's so awesome.
To me, anyway. xD

Michelsparrow
07-27-2007, 01:27 AM
Hi all
This is an awesome band. I like this band. I have only seen them once in concert. I like the songs The Day the World Went Away and The Hand That Feeds.

Elvore
08-01-2007, 11:17 AM
good band