PDA

View Full Version : [TV Series] Gunslinger Girl

miniPhil
12-15-2006, 11:59 AM
Gunslinger Girl
Type: TV series, 13 episodes.
Genre: Action, Drama.

Plot synopsis
The Public Corporation for Social Welfare is dedicated to giving a second chance at life to terminal patients for only a couple hundred euro's worth of tax payers money. At least thats what they want you to believe. In reality the patients of the Social Welfare Agency(SWA or the Agency) have to pay a far more costly price for another chance at life.
Gunslinger Girl Follows the lives of six young girls who have been given a new mechanical body, undergone brainwashing and conditioning(a drug given to them to be able to use their mechanical bodies) and are now the governments pet toys in dispatching terrorists or anyone else the government feels does not deserve to live.

Story (10/10) -

When you come across an idea like gunslinger girl its very easy to make a mindless shoot-em-up, i thank the gods of anime that the writers did not go down that path! Gunslinger girl pulls all the stops in making this a worth while drama(with some very sweet gunfights). The story of the young girls killing terrorists really touches the heart(especially the last episode).

Characters (10/10) -

Perfect! Each character has a role to play and they all fit the part exceptionally. The first part of the series is all about the characters and although they are shockingly different they are all similar in the most important issues which makes the Gunslinger Girl team unique and top of the range in the anime genre.

Art/animation (9/10) -

I know I'm supposed to use proper English but....OMG!!! Perfect frame work, beautiful scenery and the gun fights really are a sight to see. Without a doubt Gunslinger Girl has some of the best animation around. The only fault i could find was the level of skill that went into some of the characters...compared to the amazing backgrounds it looks unprofessional.

Voice acting, music (7/10) -

Not great, English or Japanese. The voice actors in the English make the little girls seem scary...in a bad way! The actors are obviously in their twenties and thirties while in the Japanese version seems completely ridiculous seen as this was based in Italy. However if you had to chose between the subbed version and the dubbed i would pick the subbed version.

Overall (9/10) -

It has to in the top 5 of all action dramas in existence, no doubt about that. The largest flaw Gunslinger Girl has is the fact that its only 13 episodes long(*Sob* why are all the good anime so short?..Hellsing...Fruits Basket...Azumanga Daioh...Fullmetal Alchemist, yes 51 episodes counts as short) Needless to say this is one anime you cant do without!!! If this anime is not in your collection by the end of the week i shall personally go to your house and....well if you've ever seen saw then you get the idea!:D

TheWired
01-05-2012, 06:45 AM
The story of the young girls killing terrorists really touches the heart.

LOL - sorry but that just sounds really weird.

But at any rate, I also like this series. What did you think of season 2 (Teatrino)? Not as strong in my opinion.

JohnnyB3ar
06-12-2012, 06:13 PM
This is my favorite anime

Season 1 was better. The story was happier and more fun to watch. Fav charictor(s)?

Do u know where i can find it english dub? I hav seen seasons 1-2 but can't find anything else

Princess Cupcake
06-13-2012, 12:12 PM
Great review! I have to say I agreed with almost everything except for the voices. I actually liked them, but in a way, they were kind of scary, which (imo), was not a bad thing. It makes sense, seeing as they are no longer sweet and innocent little girls, but cyborgs trained to kill.

The characters were, indeed, pretty well developed. That is what I really liked about Gunslinger Girl. Even Elsa, who had only been in a few episodes. Claes was my favorite, with a cold, yet caring personality, though she didn't get to see as much action due to her being used for running tests. Triela was another one that I grew fond of. Her story and struggles were intense (more so in season two).

Season two was ok, however, I didn't enjoy it as much as the first. The action isn't close to the standard set by the first season, but I did like the new character design.
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRaPZVai-zldOd6CZagi-_22M6YU5asmOBmv2bcdkXiWtf8MaGq http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSEUek69VwZd36WojYPPctJh9GURr-bvnxWy5Pfo66Jj57qcHPP

JohnnyB3ar
06-20-2012, 05:59 PM
Voices were great. They made the show what it was. W/o those voices, it wouldn't have been anywhere as good