PDA

View Full Version : Dream Theater

Masali
12-08-2006, 10:06 PM
I love this band so much. Probably my favorite band as of now. I have a large chunk of their CD's, which is rare for me since I never buy CD's. I have "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence", "Change of Season", "Images and Words", "Falling into Infinity", "Train of Thought" and "Dream Theater: Live @ Budokan"

I love this band to no end, Everyone in this band is GOD at what they play.

Jordan Rudess = Graduated Juliard music school at 17, I believe. That's SKILL.

John Petrucci is a GOD on guitar, he has an awesome style that makes the guitar sound HUGE and his solos tear it up.

John Myung is one of the best rock bassist ever. Sick speed and rubs on the funk.

Mike Portnoy is probably the best rock drummer ever. He can rock the double bass so fast, but not like most drummers who are like "look how boring I am with the double bass". No, he does so much his drum set that it's insane.

James LeBrie...well, his voice can get annoying. but you have to respect the fact that he has a range like a mofo.

Anyway, they have some ROCKING tunes. Some really mellow stuff, but then some BRUTAL metal while still remaining melodic. My favorite songs are

1. Metropolis Part 1, the Miracle and the Sleeper
2. Another Day
3. Pull Me Under
4. Glass Prison
5. Blind Faith
6. Endless Sacrafice
7 and 8. As I am, This dying soul (they go right into each other seamlessly)
9. Wait for Sleep
10. Stream Of Consciousness
11. New Millenium
12. Hollow Years
13. Peruvian Skies.

Those are some of my favs, and it's SO good. Trust me. If you like really heavy stuff though then definately look out for As I am + This Dying Soul, Endless Sacrafice, Pull me Under, and Metropolis

Slumber
12-08-2006, 10:18 PM
I've listen to a few of their songs. Very noice band. I've been trying to finds a couple bands to cpmpare them to and my favorite one I've thought up so far is like Iron Maiden meets Pink Floyd.

Masali
12-08-2006, 10:20 PM
I like John Petrucci's description of them "The love child of Yes and Metallica."

Ollie
12-09-2006, 12:48 AM
I'm surprised I don't see Octavarium on that list. It's the only song of theirs I have but I LOVE IT. :D EVERY SINGLE FREAKIN' SECOND OF IT! Even though it's 24 minutes long.

Musical genius of a song, I hafta say.

Slumber
12-09-2006, 08:51 PM
I like John Petrucci's description of them "The love child of Yes and Metallica."

Hmm, never listened to Yes. I mainly think of Maiden when I hear their music because of the singer. His voice reminds me very much of Bruce Dickenson and some of the guitar rifts sound like something I'd hear from Maiden as well.