PDA

View Full Version : Trvium

Darrmyth
12-08-2006, 03:48 AM
Trivium

influenced thrash metal band from Orlando, Florida. They formed in 2000 after the band's original singer saw Matt Heafy performing at a high school talent show. Their most recent album The Crusade peaked at #25 on the US Billboard 200 and inside the Top 10 in the UK.

Biography

The band members chose the name Trivium, which is Latin for the intersection between the three schools of learning: grammar, rhetoric and logic, because they "liked the way it implied an open-mindedness to different styles, and summed up their musical aesthetic". After a couple of gigs at parties, the original singer quit the band and Heafy took over the vocals. For the next two years, the band honed its sound, and in 2002 Heafy won the Best Metal Guitarist Award at the Orlando Metal Awards. Trivium headed into the studio in the beginning of 2003 to record their first high-quality demo disc. From this, German label Lifeforce signed Trivium and sent the band into the studio to record Ember to Inferno.

After going through various lineups, the band finally settled on guitarist Corey Beaulieu, a dedicated death metal buff who brought a new influence to the band's sound. Paolo Gregoletto was signed as the band's bassist just prior to a tour with Machine Head. Trivium was signed to Roadrunner Records after good sales of their debut and began writing songs for their new album.

Ascendancy

The band's second album Ascendancy was mostly completed by July 2004, recorded in the Audiohammer and Morrisound Studios. In September of the same year, the band embarked on several tours with Machine Head, Iced Earth, Killswitch Engage, and Fear Factory, adding to the hype surrounding the band. "What's cool about a tour is every night's a party," Heafy says. "It's not always because everyone's drinking, but people are getting along well and hanging out. The energy from the crowds is amazing." Ascendancy was released on March 15, 2005 through Roadrunner Records. The band have continued touring to support it since, including on the Roadrage 2005 US tour, featuring bands such as The Agony Scene, Still Remains and 3 Inches of Blood. The band also made 13 appearances at 2005 Roadrage in the UK through the summer. This tour heightened their popularity in the UK considerably, building a good reputation with Kerrang! and Metal Hammer magazines. Trivium also performed on the main stage at Download Festival 2005. Kerrang! hailed their show as 'The best band of the weekend by a long mile.

Through July and August Trivium appeared at Ozzfest 2005, playing second stage alongside bands like As I lay Dying, Arch Enemy, Killswitch Engage, and Rob Zombie. After Ozzfest the band headed back over to the UK for a headlining tour with All That Remains, and also toured in Japan with Arch Enemy and in the United States and Canada for a main support tour with Children of Bodom and Amon Amarth. In early 2006, the band were the main support for the Swedish band In Flames across North America.

Trivium recorded a cover of "Master of Puppets" for the Kerrang! Remastered 20th anniversary tribute to Metallica's album Master Of Puppets. Also appearing on that album doing tributes are Machine Head, Mendeed, Bullet For My Valentine, Fightstar, Chimaira, Mastodon, and Funeral for a Friend. This was released exclusively with the issue of Kerrang! magazine, released on April 5th 2006.

The Crusade

The four piece began writing and recording a new album in April 2006, just after their 2006 Headlining tour "The Crusade III: Ascend Above the Ashes" tour with God Forbid, Bloodsimple and Mendeed. The band played on the main stage of the Download Festival in Donnington, UK in June 2006, beneath only KoRn & Metallica. After releasing The Crusade, they supported Iron Maiden on Iron Maiden's European leg of their 2006 world tour. The dates of which Trivium appeared were from the 12th of November to the 23rd of December. During this short tour of the UK, Kerrang! 105.2 arranged one day in which Trivium was the headline band - 13th December - this was a gig where money could not buy tickets, instead you had to win a competition on Kerrang. It took place at the Barfly in Birmingham. The band finished recording their new album "The Crusade" in 2006 and released it on October 10, 2006.

On April 28, 2006, Trivium announced a North American re-release of their hit album Ascendancy, which includes four bonus tracks, one of which is their cover of the Metallica song "Master of Puppets". It also contains reworked art, and a DVD featuring all existing music videos.

Trivium's latest album The Crusade, produced by Matt Heafy and Jason Suecof and mixed by Colin Richardson, was released in the UK on October 9th 2006. It sold over 60,000 copies on its first day of release, making it a Silver album. It was placed at #1 in the UK Rock Charts and debuted in the UK album charts at #7 It debuted on the U.S. Billboard charts at #25. The album sees Matt and Corey using seven string guitars on a number of songs, including the tracks "This World Can't Tear Us Apart", "And Sadness Will Sear", "Becoming The Dragon", "Contempt Breeds Contamination" and the title track of the album "The Crusade". The album is a departure from their previous sound: Heafy has abandoned his harsh metalcore scream in favor of a more melodic style of singing, and the band's style has been described as a return to the classic thrash sounds of bands such as Metallica, Testament, and Megadeth. In keeping with their new sound, Heafy also sings older Trivium songs in a more melodic style during live concerts. However, for some songs, such as To The Rats, Corey does a small amount of growling. Trivium are toured Australia in 2007, making appearances at the Big Day Out and all capital cities.

Band members

Current members

* Matt Heafy - Vocals, Lead/Rhythm Guitar
* Corey Beaulieu - Lead/Rhythm Guitar, Backing Vocals (2003-present)
* Paolo Gregoletto - Bass, Backing Vocals (2004-present)
* Travis Smith - Drums

iRevo
01-24-2007, 06:03 PM
Wow, noone here knows trivium? OMG! noone here knows that it houses one of the greatest guitarists eva!, Matt Heafy

Ryth
01-26-2007, 12:14 PM
It's a shame because the band members are pretty good at playing their instruments*, they just can't write a song worth dirt. They rip off tons of other bands from Metallica to In Flames. Tis sad.

*They need a new vocalist though.

Hamashimura
02-09-2007, 10:20 AM
It's a shame because the band members are pretty good at playing their instruments*, they just can't write a song worth dirt.

Sadly,I have to agree...

Ryth
02-09-2007, 02:29 PM
And it'd help if they weren't a metalcore band. Metalcore is terrible.

Opinionated
02-09-2007, 03:32 PM
Personally, I like Trivium music. I like Heafy's delivery and the sound of their guitars. They may not be my favorites, but I like them regardless.

And it'd help if they weren't a metalcore band. Metalcore is terrible.
So, what you're saying is that you don't like them because of the genre that people that are not the band have put on them?

Ryth
02-09-2007, 03:38 PM
Fine I admit, poor wording, they come off as a metalcore band with slight thrash metal leanings (at least in The Crusade anyway) to me. And in my personal opinion, metalcore isn't that good. It is what I see, it is what I hear, and it is what I think.

Scarlet Wings
02-09-2007, 07:52 PM
They're music has never really impressed me.

miniPhil
02-11-2007, 06:33 AM
There ok nothing special though, i have 2 albums so far and the songs just seem to repeat themselfs, i cant tell when one song ends and anothe begins.