PDA

View Full Version : Snow Days

Ollie
11-29-2006, 04:57 AM
I live in an area where we get snow maybe once a year... but when we do, people go CRAZY. Once every two or three years, it gets bad enough where everything shuts down... it's only a few inches of snow, but the roads ice over, and people here are unadjusted to winter conditions like that (usually it's just a lot of rain), AND it's a very hilly area.

Hill roads + ice = not good. The hill I live on is a good example of this; just today I found my own sister stuck on the hill while trying to get back down it without slipping and crashing over the curb or into another driver (she couldn't control the direction it would go in) after struggling for more than a half hour to go up. Along with her friend Matt and some friends of hers who were luckily walking by, I had to help push it down without hitting anything. School was closed today, and will be tomorrow as well.:D

I think this unusual coldness is going on all over the West Coast. I actually just saw a picture of SNOW in Disneyland (which is in the middle of CALIFORNIA).

And hows about the rest of you? What sort of unusual weather/reactions to weather do you get, and how extreme has it gotten? Most recent ones?

Sagat
11-29-2006, 05:50 AM
Canada.. well..

Back in Manitoba, it went to around -54C for about a week.. there was still work. Maybe the air has to freeze to get a day off there.

Here in Petawawa, Ontario.. well, in summer we had that tornado which tore the roofs off two hangars... We had the next day off because there was no power.

In winter, I seen it go down to only around -30 something, maybe a foot, two feet of snow max. Doesn't cancel work.

To get snow days in Canada - outside of school - it has to be a hell of a lot of snow or something needs to have knocked the power out.

Ami~chan
11-29-2006, 06:30 AM
I live in Louisiana, and we don't have snow. We have slush that comes only once every five years or so. Nothing shuts down because of it.

However, we have "flood days". Those are days that it's rained so much, we can't reach the school.

Kristen
11-29-2006, 07:19 AM
Weeeelp, I live in Michigan where it's likely to snow any time of the year. So, needless to say, we got quite a few snow days in my school career. I remember my senior year, it started snowing horribly by the time our last hour came around - so we all got to leave early. Seniors who can drive first, then those who can't, juniors, sophmores&freshmen. It was so funny. We were getting TONS of snow. Usually, by this time, we get a LOT of snow by now, but we've had very little. It's almost 60 at 8am right now. ;_; I want snow, damn it.

Ollie
11-29-2006, 07:41 AM
Canada.. well..

Back in Manitoba, it went to around -54C for about a week.. there was still work. Maybe the air has to freeze to get a day off there.I hear that. I used to live NW Ontario, the little black hole of Dryden, and it was pretty much average for temperature be around -30 C in the winter. Some days it was unusually cold, -40 or lower, but still no snow days. Laaaame.

It's funny. In Dryden there'd be a good inch of packed snow and ice on the roads and it wouldnt really bother anyone, but a fraction of that here causes destruction.

Myrra
11-29-2006, 07:59 AM
I was just talking about this last night.
Here we are at the end of November, located in the heart of the midwest, and it was just over 70F. Last winter (January of this year) we had 2-3 days where the highs hit the low to mid 80sF. We used to get a fair amount of snowfall in the winters here. Now we hardly get any.

The drivers here used to be used to driving in snow, but as it rarely snows...or snows so little, most drivers have no clue and are quite wreckless while driving. So when it snows, you won't see me on the roads.

Kristen
11-29-2006, 08:05 AM
On a side note, I had no idea that Pip's pocket was in the midwest. ;x

Khanxay
11-29-2006, 08:08 AM
Snow? I've only experienced "real" snow once in my entire life. Weather around Dallas is very wack. We get sleet and Ice...cold weather doesn't really come till about late December. Maybe late in November sometimes.

I think the last snow was...when I four. Enough to make a 1 and 1/2 foot tall Snowman.

Moonlight Eve
11-29-2006, 08:11 AM
I live in the Panhandle of Florida..so, we actually have a "winter" here. (If you can call it that.) The low has actually dropped to about 25..but that's about it. No snow..just alot of cold wind and rain. Thankfully, we haven't had the hurricaines like we did last year..!!! Good God..that was really something to see! But trust me when I say that you wouldn't want to be living here, during those times and having to "evacuate" the state.

Trying to get out is a disaster..and then trying to get back in, is another cluster screw. Gas shortages, hotel shortages, people panicking..yeah..loads of fun.:rolleyes:

Eris
11-29-2006, 08:27 AM
Sagat: The funny part is that a moist and windy -10 degrees can be WAY colder than -40 degrees ever will be.

Winter isn't what it used to be anymore here in northern Sweden. Back in the days, we used to get snow in October, and it'd lay there until spring when it melted away. These days it's barely ever staying on the ground for more than a month before it melts away. Then there's more snow, that melts away in a couple of weeks, and so on, all winter.

Seriously, we still have GREEN grass up here. That's like... wrong!

LINK the swordsman
11-29-2006, 09:22 AM
i live in california so i have no snow days

Buruku
11-29-2006, 10:06 AM
It snowed almost all day yesturday, and it'll probably be here for a few more days unless we get more. I'd say theres a good...5 inches, which is decent. Snow is pretty, but I dont really like it, and it sucks to drive in. This weather isnt really unusual though for my area.

Tomoyo01
11-29-2006, 10:35 AM
We get snow every year. At first in November (not this year), December or January. We don`t get snow for christmas most of the time but after that it snows like crazy, even in March and sometimes in April -.- I hate snow and I hate cold weather!

Undrave Limito
11-29-2006, 12:18 PM
It snowed a little yesterday evening. November has been uncharacteristically warm this year (incomparaison to other years...it'S still sorta cold) and all we got was rain rain and more rain. It rained every day for like 20 days, but not a lot of it fell...

There was some hail too... crummy November... I hope we get a nice white Christmas.

Here in Quebec you need a MAJOR blizzard to shut down schools and it always takes a while for them to react, half the time your parents just keep you home and don't wait for the schools.

I heard on the news Vancouver is covered by snow, rather rare. They even lost power. Vancouver stole our winter!

Remember when Mayor Lastman of Toronto called in the Nationnal Guard after a heavy snowfall? Toronto was the laughing stock of Canada for weeks because of that XD lol.

Chaux
11-29-2006, 01:42 PM
my village has snow once a year but i dnt usually live there. the city i live in does'nt have sbow. you have to go up to the ski mountains to see snow. T_T

Eris
11-29-2006, 01:46 PM
In all my life, there has never been so cold, or so stormy that any major services (school, stores, that sort of thing) has been shut down. It's been -40 degrees cold. Blizzards so strong they're almost hurricanes. Half a meter of snow overnight. Never ONCE in my near 20 years of life.

And down south, everything shuts down as soon as one snowflake gets withing 50 meters of another snowflake. Terms like "snow inferno" are used to describe the scant snowfall that melts immediately on impact. People barricade their homes. Pillaging nearly ensues. Silly southerners.

Undrave Limito
11-29-2006, 03:13 PM
In all my life, there has never been so cold, or so stormy that any major services (school, stores, that sort of thing) has been shut down. It's been -40 degrees cold. Blizzards so strong they're almost hurricanes. Half a meter of snow overnight. Never ONCE in my near 20 years of life.

And down south, everything shuts down as soon as one snowflake gets withing 50 meters of another snowflake. Terms like "snow inferno" are used to describe the scant snowfall that melts immediately on impact. People barricade their homes. Pillaging nearly ensues. Silly southerners.

lol silly southerner... and all they got is some silly snowplow too! Like a pickup truck with a shovel could really clear up a road. You need monster snowplows or better yet a snowblower XD

I heard it's the same in France, three inches of snow and the country is paralyzed XD

timewarp90
11-29-2006, 03:20 PM
I live in Florida. No snow. No ice. No cold. In fact, I know a ton of people who have never even SEEN snow before. I have family in New York so I've seen snow a few times, but Florida is no fun in the winter :(

Khanxay
11-30-2006, 07:49 AM
Wow... I jinxed it and spoke too soon. An artic cold front came in. It's about 32 F right now. It's actually snowing in Dallas. But We are only getting freezing rain here in Irving. So much for a snow day off from school.

Undrave Limito
11-30-2006, 08:24 AM
I live in Florida. No snow. No ice. No cold. In fact, I know a ton of people who have never even SEEN snow before. I have family in New York so I've seen snow a few times, but Florida is no fun in the winter :(

Yeah maybe but you're in Hurricane territory XD

Here we get snow and that's it.

As one comic put it: natural disasters exists so you don't get cocky about the weather were you live :p that's why California got all those earthquakes hehehehe.

kyubichan
11-30-2006, 08:27 AM
I live in the tropics so, very rarely do we have snow. A few years back, we had hail here. Extreme weather: Going on right now. There's a super typhoon coming in, which usually topples power posts. In the mornings, it's so hot. In the evenings, uber cold. It tends to make people sick, usually fever and migraine. The weather should be cooler by now, but it isn't >.<

Undrave Limito
12-04-2006, 12:00 PM
SNOW! GLORIOUS SNOW! FINALLY! After a uncharacteristically hot november it started snowing last friday! And it snowed almost ALL weekend! ^_^

It was neat...except that on Friday night I was over to my mom's place and the power was knocked out for over two hours -.- it was get knocked out when the weather gets harsh... I'm really not used to it anymore because where I live the power lines are underground (to make the old city prettier :p ).