PDA

View Full Version : The Wii has launched!

Ami~chan
11-19-2006, 01:28 PM
If the PS3 gets a thread, so will the Wii!

As many of you know, today is November 19th. This, of course, marks the launch day for Nintendo's Wii. So far, there hasn't been any violence on the PS3's scale, and customers have been pretty satisfied.

While I haven't got the funds to buy a Wii at this point, I recieved a phone call from my 10 year old brother around 11:00 PM last night. He and my stepmom has been waiting six hours at the local Wal-Mart to pick their Wii up, which they had preordered. There hadn't been any violence, riots, dislocated jaws, or bullets.

Nintendo seems to be bunches more peaceful.

Anyways, has anyone got their hands on the Wii yet? Who's planning to try to get ahold of it?

-Batman-
11-19-2006, 01:47 PM
I was pissed when THIS happend.

The local sears store only got 3 units in. They had no pre-orders,the first 3 people in line got a Wii.
Guess who was fourth in line?

So after walking away defeated, I checked the gamestop down the strip, all reserved.
So then, to target. There was a line of over 200 people, they had only gotten 120 units in...WAL-MART!. Again, a very long line. They had 82 units, there were about 100 people at least.
SO...Beaten, I went to my second to last hope.
The Mall.
Both gamestops, both FYE's, EB Games, Sears, and software ect were all out...Which doesn't matter because they were all pre-orders.
So I went home...Beaten, my spirit raped to nothing. I had one last hope. The internet.
I had logged onto several sites...Trying my luck with sears again...!
They said that they had the Wii in stock online! CAPITAL! I thought...But after I went to check out as quickly as I good and purchase my Wii offline...No such luck, as the site was quick in it's execusion to shoot my last shred of hope down and inform me that the online store had sold out.

Mr. Miyamoto...You said there would be enough for everyone ='(
Oh well, a second shipment is rumored to come out in the next few weeks. I shall simply stay on alert for a time.

Opinionated
11-19-2006, 01:54 PM
Whee!

If I get any current-gen system, it'll be the Wii, definately. However, I won't be getting any first or second shipment ones. Probably not even one for X-mas. I shall wait, bide my time, until I can get maximum good games for my $250. Kinda why I waited so long to get my DS, seeing which of the two current-gen handhelds were better.

But, WHEE!

P.S. @ Deadpool:
You see, this is why you should have changed your middle name to Everyone too. So that Everyone could get one. You're just not Everyone.

Khanxay
11-19-2006, 01:57 PM

The local sears store only got 3 units in. They had no pre-orders,the first 3 people in line got a Wii.

Lol...dorry due can't help laughing. I don't have it eithers but I'm pretty sure my cousin has it. So I am Set.

Sagat
11-19-2006, 03:32 PM
I had remarked a few days ago to my mother over the phone that the Wii would be a good Christmas gift, that nothing has changed since I was a kid because I still want a Nintendo. She laughed and said I was a retard.

I get a call at 1315 today from my father, and he tells me how he just left the line up at Walmart, he was ticket holder 26 and they only had 30 units on sale. I asked him what the hell he was talking about and he told me that they had "gotten the damned thing for me"

Nonetheless, Christmas block leave and Christmas day cannot come fast enough..

-Batman-
11-19-2006, 03:59 PM
I had remarked a few days ago to my mother over the phone that the Wii would be a good Christmas gift, that nothing has changed since I was a kid because I still want a Nintendo. She laughed and said I was a retard.

I get a call at 1315 today from my father, and he tells me how he just left the line up at Walmart, he was ticket holder 26 and they only had 30 units on sale. I asked him what the hell he was talking about and he told me that they had "gotten the damned thing for me"

Nonetheless, Christmas block leave and Christmas day cannot come fast enough..

Oh...I envy you sir. I envy the very air you breath.

Sagat
11-19-2006, 05:05 PM
To top it off he called me an hour ago and told me he ordered Call of Duty 3 and Zelda: Twilight Princess for me. I plan on buying DBZ Tenkaichi 2 and ... oh it's gonna be a fun christmas.

Miss Moonlight
11-19-2006, 05:06 PM
To top it off he called me an hour ago and told me he ordered Call of Duty 3 and Zelda: Twilight Princess for me. I plan on buying DBZ Tenkaichi 2 and ... oh it's gonna be a fun christmas.
I got twlight princess for the game cube cause I can't afford the WII ;(

Buruku
11-19-2006, 05:06 PM
lol so has no one actually baught one yet? I though Regex was going too, I really wanted to hear from the people who baught one.

Anyway, yeah I went shopping around the mall today and I stared at the wii for awhile, It was smaller then I though it would be, but I think it looks cute. I'm aiming for maybe january to buy mine. :( I really dont have the money right now, I might just go crazy and buy one sooner, though my mom would be upset. ah well.

_-Midnight-_
11-19-2006, 05:19 PM
i want a wii soes i can playz zelda

-Batman-
11-19-2006, 05:29 PM
Well...Since we're at the topic already...When I DO get one, which will hopefully be soon (the sears I mentioned may be getting a larger shipment on tuseday afternoon, they think they may have gotten short shipped and they may have another 3-6 at the warehouse)

What I plan on buying.

Tenkaichi 2
Twlight Princess
Trauma Center

Ami~chan
11-19-2006, 05:34 PM
Could you send me your address, and perhaps have a mini-Christmas party? :P

If I ever get a Wii, I definately want Zelda, DBZ: Tenhaichi 2, and that Trauma Center game.

My grandmother gave me the choice between a laptop and a Wii, and I chose the laptop. I'm almost regretting my choice, but I just have to keep reminding myself that a laptop will help me with school work. A Wii, not as much.

-Batman-
11-19-2006, 05:47 PM
http://nexgenwars.com/

Found this interesting. Don't count the 360 in this, as it's a year old already. Note that the Wii has sold more in a day than the PS3 has in 2. However, in popularity, the xbox only holds 30 percent of the popularity.
Sony 18
and the wii took HALF the polls.

No idea if the number of consoles sold is official, but still...Makes for a good idea.

Souhi
11-19-2006, 05:53 PM
I really look forward to getting my hands on a Wii, probably after Christmas. I want to see how everything pans out in terms of sales, games, and response. Heck, I just want to test one out and see if it's to my liking.

All I need first is Zelda. Then see how things go from there.

The Wii is certainly going to be a solid system, but doubt it will beat the PS3 in the long run. Hard to say this early. Still a Nintendo fanboy here though.

Sagat
11-19-2006, 05:53 PM
Okay so .. what IS this Trauma Center everyone wants

it will beat the PS3 in the long run. Hard to say this early. Still a Nintendo fanboy here though.
Have to utterly disagree.. PS3 is stupidly overpriced, buggy, offers nothing new and is already suffering delay problems and hardware issues. I did so much research into Wii vs PS3 that it hurt my head and - this coming from a diehard PS2 fan - Sony can go to hell and take the PS3 with it. Wii will win this generation of the war.

-Batman-
11-19-2006, 06:00 PM
Okay so .. what IS this Trauma Center everyone wants

Basically, you play the roll of a surgeon an operate on patients. There was a DS game of the same name, which was played with the Touch screen exclusivly, the top was used only for data display and story...talking stuff.

This should be interesting as it revolves completly around the wii's motion sensor. Also, the DS game was very difficult, so this should offer a challange as well.

Basically...if you've ever played the board game "Operation". Think that...But more details and a lot more complex.

Sagat
11-19-2006, 06:05 PM
Read the official site and the wiki and now I also must buy this game.

Souhi
11-19-2006, 06:08 PM
Have to utterly disagree.. PS3 is stupidly overpriced, buggy, offers nothing new and is already suffering delay problems and hardware issues. I did so much research into Wii vs PS3 that it hurt my head and - this coming from a diehard PS2 fan - Sony can go to hell and take the PS3 with it. Wii will win this generation of the war.Ahh ok. See now I'm a gaming amateur, so forgive the ignorance.

Sagat
11-19-2006, 06:12 PM
I am too. Just that I loved the games coming out for PS3 hence my hesitation which one to buy, but trust me, it ain't the PS3. Unless you like paying way too much for a buggy console shoved out by a company that generally thinks its consumers are morons.

Ami~chan
11-19-2006, 06:13 PM
The reason that more Wiis have been sold is probably because Nintendo shipped more than Sony did. It wasn't as hard to get ahold of a Wii as it was a PS3 since there were tons more.

People are buying more Wiis because there are more to buy. That, and because the Wii looks like it would be more fun.

Miss Moonlight
11-19-2006, 09:27 PM
aww, I feel all left out .. everyone has the WII and I can't afford it yet .. oh well. I'm sure it's alot more awesome then the ps3 though. :)

-Batman-
11-19-2006, 09:33 PM
aww, I feel all left out .. everyone has the WII and I can't afford it yet .. oh well. I'm sure it's alot more awesome then the ps3 though. :)

Yes. It is. I've played both (most gamestops have had displays up for both systems for a time now). The PS3 isn't special. The Wii is just damned addictive.

Miss Moonlight
11-19-2006, 09:38 PM
Yes. It is. I've played both (most gamestops have had displays up for both systems for a time now). The PS3 isn't special. The Wii is just damned addictive.
Kinda sad the PS3 is so over-rated .. I don't see people trying to shoot each other or steal each other's WII like they did with the PS3. I think the fanbase is different and much nicer.

Regex
11-19-2006, 11:35 PM
I'm actually very surprised that you all had this much trouble getting one.

Several stores here opened at midnight for the Wii launch, some getting 50 units, and the store I went to had 75. I picked up my Wii, a second controller and nunchuck, and Twilight Princess without a hitch. The friends I went with didn't get the second nunchuck, but they got everything else they wanted, including Red Steel and Excitetruck.

I'll say this, the Wii controller for Twilight Princess may not be an "immersive experience" but it is damned fun to swing the remote around and knock people off their horses. I strongly recommend it for the Wii over the Gamecube for that reason.

Sorry to hear that people were having so much trouble. But Nintendo's 4 million units went a lot further than Sony's 400,000.

-Batman-
11-20-2006, 01:04 AM
I'm actually very surprised that you all had this much trouble getting one.

I had heard rumors of a second shipment being sent out very shortly after launch. Since you seem to know the wii news...things. Do you know, or think this had any merit to it?

Regex
11-20-2006, 03:12 AM
The only thing I've heard for sure is that the store I went to will be getting another shipment within a week. I don't know at all how many will be coming though.

MistaCloudStrife
11-20-2006, 03:47 AM
Friend called me up early in the morning saying that "June" another friend was back in Spanway(about 20mins away) and he needed me to just wait in line for him.

Got up sleepy, went to Target was the 80th ticket holder out of 100 tickets/consoles; debated with the people in line about the PS3 and broke out my PSP as well. Fun day I must say. Two of my friends have Wii's now... one of them thinks its stupid, other one is having a blast.(The one who's been a Nintendo fan since birth)

Played a little bit. I'll just say this... Everyone looks wierd playing the Wii. There's no looking cool with this console.

Hiya! My controller is a sword and my analog is my shield! Booyah! Lol...

Princess Minako
11-20-2006, 07:41 AM
I do have to say that the Wii will win out. I have a wii in my house, is it mine.... well technically no, but its sitting in my living room. I spent the better part of yesterday watching Zelda, Redsteel and playing the wii sports (Not to mention creating my Mii). It is FUN! Zelda is awesome and the controll/nunchuck combo is great. Its more fun than I've ever had gaming/watching gaming.

Not to mention, I've seen it said somewhere, that the Wii-launch was the Anti-PS3. No one rioted, was shot, everyone was just having a good time. That complete strangers were playing demo's together etc etc etc. You can't say "Oh they had more in stock than PS3", well good for nintendo for having more in stock. Most of the PS3's purchased are on Ebay anyway :P.

Last note, in a last minute effort the wireless/sensitive remote was put in to compete with the Wii's controller, they didn't really have the time/research put into it and couldn't fit all the "stuff" so they had to leave out the rumble pack :P.

Props to Wii on a great launch!

Regex
11-20-2006, 09:44 AM
Played a little bit. I'll just say this... Everyone looks wierd playing the Wii. There's no looking cool with this console.

Hiya! My controller is a sword and my analog is my shield! Booyah! Lol...You don't have to swing around wildly. You can just sit in your couch, moving no more than you would move an arcade joystick.
On the other hand, as Penny Arcade says, you can play like that, but it makes you a toolbox.

Actually, most of the time in Zelda, that's how you find yourself playing. You're not swinging around wildly. After all, it is just a port from the Gamecube game (so swinging the controller equates to pressing the sword button). It's still a whole lot of fun.

Princess Minako
11-20-2006, 10:49 AM
I watched all day and my boyfriend or his friend were not swinging wildly like a tool box.

They were sitting quite still on the couch moving their hands just a little. I didn't think they looked wierd, but then again I will admit watching the awesome graphics on screen was much more interesting than what the player was doing....

Storm Strife
11-20-2006, 11:03 AM
I watched all day and my boyfriend or his friend were not swinging wildly like a tool box.

They were sitting quite still on the couch moving their hands just a little. I didn't think they looked wierd, but then again I will admit watching the awesome graphics on screen was much more interesting than what the player was doing....
I thought PA said the slight movements makes you a toolbox...

Regex
11-20-2006, 11:18 AM
I thought PA said the slight movements makes you a toolbox...It's true. Technically they were just talking about Wii Sports, not about the other games.. And I do agree, if you play Wii sports sitting on the couch, hardly moving, you really are a toolbox. After all, the purpose of that game is getting into it, not sitting there doing nothing.

Ami~chan
11-20-2006, 12:02 PM
Not to mention, I've seen it said somewhere, that the Wii-launch was the Anti-PS3. No one rioted, was shot, everyone was just having a good time. That complete strangers were playing demo's together etc etc etc. You can't say "Oh they had more in stock than PS3", well good for nintendo for having more in stock. Most of the PS3's purchased are on Ebay anyway :P.

I think that was on the G4 website; they did an article in The Feed about how the Wii-launch was the Anti-PS3.

Anyways, a friend or two of mine now owns a Wii, and they don't have a bad thing to say about it. I'm dying to go over their house and get a shot at Zelda.

Tennis seems to be so fun; I love playing tennis, but I'm not too hot on going outside and getting all funky. Being able to run around inside seems much better.

Sadie
11-20-2006, 06:27 PM
Iam waiting anxiously for my wii which should be here wensday. I cant wait to play tennis!

bakakame
11-20-2006, 07:02 PM
I tried the display in EB Games today, and well...... I just wasn't feeling it. I felt like beating myself up playing with the remote, just couldn't get into.

It looked like others who played it really were enjoying themselves though, so it's probably just me. I'm trying to be open-minded about it and try another display with a different game, but the whole motion thing just wasn't doing it for me. No plans on a Wii in my future.

Bucky Katt
11-20-2006, 07:05 PM
Thanks to Wii, people have been trying desperately to steal one. Pretty sad, really. But if it IS all that it's cracked up to be, maybe I won't laugh at them. And maybe I'd give it a go. But I dunno, I'm used to a controller, and I'm sure I won't be able to pick up on the Wii's new-fangled stick.

Ichiro Matsuchani
11-21-2006, 11:08 AM

So after walking away defeated, I checked the gamestop down the strip, all reserved.
So then, to target. There was a line of over 200 people, they had only gotten 120 units in...WAL-MART!. Again, a very long line. They had 82 units, there were about 100 people at least.
The Mall.
Both gamestops, both FYE's, EB Games, Sears, and software ect were all out...Which doesn't matter because they were all pre-orders.
So I went home...Beaten, my spirit raped to nothing. I had one last hope. The internet.
They said that they had the Wii in stock online! CAPITAL! I thought...But after I went to check out as quickly as I good and purchase my Wii offline...No such luck, as the site was quick in it's execusion to shoot my last shred of hope down and inform me that the online store had sold out.

Oh well, a second shipment is rumored to come out in the next few weeks. I shall simply stay on alert for a time.Ouch, I feel for you man. I wasn't able to get a hold of one either, but I did have a friend that got his grubby hands on it.

After getting a short time to play on it with multiplayer Wii Sports, I have to say that the Wii is pretty damn cool. The controller does have a little bit of a learning curve, but when it comes to some of the Wii sports games you can really get into it. So much that my friend actually pulled a muscle in his arm during Wii boxing. When the next stock comes in to the stores around here, I'm definately going to get one, no doubt.

P.S. Nintendo says that they're going to have 4 million consoles shipped by the end of the year, so there's plenty of chances to get one.

Princess__Zelda
11-21-2006, 11:14 AM
Mmmm,i dont like the Wii,i'm happy with my gamecube and ds,lol!

Ichiro Matsuchani
11-21-2006, 11:22 AM
Yes. It is. I've played both (most gamestops have had displays up for both systems for a time now). The PS3 isn't special. The Wii is just damned addictive.Let me provide an example. I wasn't able to get a Wii (Mostly because of money, I'm short currently), but when I was at my friends house to play it. He got it sometimes around 12:15, and when we got it to his house, we sat there playing it until 4:00 PM, only stopping to eat.

Sorry, but Wii is an amazing console, and PS3 is nothing more then the same thing sony has always put out, just a little prettier.

P.S. Post 999...Almost there.

X_Mei_X
11-21-2006, 11:42 AM

The Mall.

Oh well, a second shipment is rumored to come out in the next few weeks. I shall simply stay on alert for a time.
ohhh that must've sucked to be fourth place and they only had threee ^ ^; well i already got one but i really dont want it T.T im to busy trying to learn how to shade my pictures the right way lol

Princess__Zelda
11-21-2006, 11:49 AM
I heard that there is a sword and shield controller for TP,is it true?

Regex
11-21-2006, 11:55 AM
I heard that there is a sword and shield controller for TP,is it true?No. You swing the remote, it swings the sword. You wiggle the nunchuck, it does a spin attack. (There are other moves, but the point is that they're not truly "immersive" just fun to use)

Khanxay
11-21-2006, 08:08 PM
Sadly...I got tired of playing the Wii at my friend's(He got the Wii because he has connections.)...physically tired that is. I got a bit much addicted into the boxing on Wii sports. I kinda had to calm down a bit after I punched the sensor bar though. o.o I'm still a bit sore.

And I found out my friend doesn't know how to play golf or bowl. The funny thing is that it's fun laughing at people who are playing.

Im not much of a zelda fan...so I won't comment much on the TP...except for the fact that birds apparently can't see houses in their flight path.

I can't wait for a Star Wars game to come out for the Wii. I want to be a Jedi. =P

-Batman-
11-22-2006, 12:12 AM
Sadly...I got tired of playing the Wii at my friend's(He got the Wii because he has connections.)...physically tired that is. I got a bit much addicted into the boxing on Wii sports. I kinda had to calm down a bit after I punched the sensor bar though. o.o I'm still a bit sore.

You've inspired me.

Miss Moonlight
11-22-2006, 12:14 AM
You've inspired me.
So, not only is it a gaming device, but it also gives you a workout!

sounds healthy. Lol.:p

Khanxay
11-22-2006, 08:22 PM
.:See Attachemnt:.o.o;
Not exactly "Total Gym". Not unless you play using your legs too. Give an entirely new meaning to "KickBoxing"

Moonstar24
11-22-2006, 08:29 PM
I havn't gotten my hands on a wii but i am planning on getting one!

Ichiro Matsuchani
11-22-2006, 11:28 PM
I heard that there is a sword and shield controller for TP,is it true?Nah. The closest that it comes to what you say is the shield bash, which you do by jabing the main remote at the screen.

Regex
11-23-2006, 09:47 AM
Nah. The closest that it comes to what you say is the shield bash, which you do by jabing the main remote at the screen.That's shield thrust, which you thrust the nunchuck, not the remote.

Princess__Zelda
11-23-2006, 10:34 AM
No. You swing the remote, it swings the sword. You wiggle the nunchuck, it does a spin attack. (There are other moves, but the point is that they're not truly "immersive" just fun to use)Thats weird,my sister saw it on Ebay,maybe it was something else.:huh:

-Batman-
11-23-2006, 02:52 PM
Thats weird,my sister saw it on Ebay,maybe it was something else.:huh:

It exists, in a way. It was just a prototype. Here would be said prototype.

if your sister saw it on ebay, it was probably some home-grown style set.

kswift
11-23-2006, 03:15 PM
Same here! i was also trying to get the wii, but no such luck...but i got my PS3 in place of it..but i really hope you get it!(//_^)

Ichiro Matsuchani
11-23-2006, 08:11 PM
That's shield thrust, which you thrust the nunchuck, not the remote.Meh, I don't own it. I was just guessing, since it was something like that.

Regex
11-24-2006, 12:18 AM

if your sister saw it on ebay, it was probably some home-grown style set.I had never seen that.. That photo does look home brewed. But I'm trying to imagine someone playing Zelda swinging that sword around. I would definitely not want to be around that... Probably why the original idea would have been scrapped.

-Batman-
11-24-2006, 06:44 AM
Well...

This morning, got to the gamestore at 5 in the morning. Already a line, they had 4 in, I was 6th in line.
Went to the game store next town over...I was 10th in line, they had 8.

I give up =/

Heres the sad thing.

I had a better chance of buying a PLAYSTATION 3 this morning than I did a Wii.

Princess__Zelda
11-24-2006, 10:19 AM

if your sister saw it on ebay, it was probably some home-grown style set.
Yeah,it probably is a prototype.
How would you run?O.o

Regex
11-24-2006, 11:11 AM
Well...

This morning, got to the gamestore at 5 in the morning. Already a line, they had 4 in, I was 6th in line.
Went to the game store next town over...I was 10th in line, they had 8.

I give up =/

Heres the sad thing.

I had a better chance of buying a PLAYSTATION 3 this morning than I did a Wii.You go to the wrong store, it seems. Ask around, find out how many stores like Best Buy or Wal Mart will have. I don't understand why the stores you find only get a few when all the stores around here get 50-70.

blackwolf16
11-24-2006, 12:06 PM
It seems that you have bad luck. Maybe you should wait a while until the fuss is over with and almost everyone has one. THen you will have a better chance of getting one instead of get angry when the stores are short on your behalf.

bakakame
11-24-2006, 12:12 PM
I thought it would be easy to find playable displays in most stores, but so far I've only found one. Wal Mart, Best Buy, and EB Games are all carrying, what I like to call, "circumcised Wii's" just the console sitting in a display case with no game running or controler out. I've only been able to play some of the Wii sports on the display at gamestop.

blackwolf16
11-24-2006, 12:32 PM
Probably since their controller doesn't have a corded version they can't let people play because it's a chance the controller will be stolen or lost.

-Batman-
11-24-2006, 03:04 PM
You go to the wrong store, it seems. Ask around, find out how many stores like Best Buy or Wal Mart will have. I don't understand why the stores you find only get a few when all the stores around here get 50-70.

Thats just the thing. Walmart didn't have any today. I checked. Bestbuy had over 300 people sitting outside of their door since 1 this morning, and the nearest toys r us is 4 hours away.
I'm basically limited to gamestop, and since they're small stores they tend to not get many.

Anime is poison
11-24-2006, 07:57 PM
Alright, well I played the Wii, and as I feared, I do not like the motion sensing thing much. It does give a better sense of realism, and is a lot better than I thought it would be. But its still far from perfect, not bad for a first attempt though. I did get mad when I was a bit off with my motion, that I got thrashed, and it led me to missing the D-pad very much. All in all not a horrible system though, I was lucky enough to play one at my friend's house. If you're a die hard Nintendo fan, you shouldn't be sorely disappointed from this system. But if you're a person who was looking to give Nintendo a chance for the first time (don't see how thats possible unless you're 8 years old), then you may wanna go with one of the other systems, cuz I did like the 360 and PS3 more. Kudos on Nintendo for making a decent system though, and a game not for kids! Thumbs up, lol.

Gorion1928
11-24-2006, 08:34 PM
I got it after much tribulation on launch day. I waited in front of Target for hours in the cold, nearly touched my hand to a red hot sterno stove for a bet, and did'nt sleep. But I got it, a couple extra controlers and nunchuks, and Zelda. I couldn't be happier. VICTORY IS MINE!!!

Ouch, I feel for you man. I wasn't able to get a hold of one either, but I did have a friend that got his grubby hands on it.

After getting a short time to play on it with multiplayer Wii Sports, I have to say that the Wii is pretty damn cool. The controller does have a little bit of a learning curve, but when it comes to some of the Wii sports games you can really get into it. So much that my friend actually pulled a muscle in his arm during Wii boxing. When the next stock comes in to the stores around here, I'm definately going to get one, no doubt.

P.S. Nintendo says that they're going to have 4 million consoles shipped by the end of the year, so there's plenty of chances to get one.
I take offense at my hands being called grubby! No worse than yours, considering some of your drumsticks and mallets have lasted for years. When was the last time you decided wipe them down? NEVER, thats when.

Ranshiin
11-25-2006, 06:33 AM
The Wii is out?

Damn. I have to wait until the 8th December for mine; that's when it comes out over here.

>.<;

Princess__Zelda
11-25-2006, 07:55 AM
Yas!I saw and Advert last night for Twilight Princess!It only showed it for Wii though.Which is kind of disapointing....
Mac,where do you stay?Do you live in Europe somewhere?

Ranshiin
11-25-2006, 07:58 AM
Yas!I saw and Advert last night for Twilight Princess!It only showed it for Wii though.Which is kind of disapointing....
Mac,where do you stay?Do you live in Europe somewhere?UK, which, according to the Alice AI system is "An island off the coast of Europe."

which is crud.

Yes, I live in Europe, and the Wii doesn't come out for another two weeks. -_-;

Princess__Zelda
11-25-2006, 09:44 AM
Oh,i see.I live in Scotland!Its kind of rubbish up here,but still.
You want to put this into a PM?I dont want this post being closed because of me.

BoldMushroom
11-25-2006, 11:12 AM
I don't have a Wii - I might get one by the end of the year (which will be no problem because of where I work), but I'm gonna wait for some more feedback regarding the technical aspects of the system. I'd heard that a number of launch Wiis were bricked by a downloadable update... which is the reason I didn't get one at launch. It seems even Nintendo is vulnerable to launch difficulties...

I did play a Wii, though. My brother bought one, and he brought it over for Thanksgiving. The motion sensor is a little shaky, but that could probably just be attributed to the shakiness of the human hand. The control is definitely very intuitive, and fun to use.

The only game my brother had was Wii Sports... which is kind of dull, from what I've played. (I only played three of the games, though.)

Tennis is fairly simplistic, since you don't even move your character. The most that is made of the motion sensor is controlling the general swing direction with the remote. Baseball's pitching was simplistic, while the batting was clunky and unpredictable. In both cases, I think the game mechanics were at fault.

However, Bowling was superb - the best use of the controller, from what I played. Everyone I played with agreed - the game plays just like real bowling. The game perfectly captures my innate, gutter-dooming spin...

You'll do great at it if you play it as real bowling. After we figured this out in the middle of the game, my sister's boyfriend set each shot up the way he normally would bowl, and he scored three strikes in the final frame.

Overall... I was very impressed by the potential of the Wii, and if Wii Bowling is any indication, the motion controls can definitely live up to their promise... if the developer doesn't hinder them. However, I'm waiting for more high-quality games... Zelda seems to be the only must-buy, though I've heard promising things about the Rayman game that came out at launch.

Fetal Fetish
11-25-2006, 11:15 AM
I don't think I'm gettin' one soon, or any game system for that matter. ^ ^; My mom is saving money, so all I got is my DS and GameCube for now.

blackwolf16
11-25-2006, 11:19 AM
I don't have a Wii - I might get one by the end of the year (which will be no problem because of where I work), but I'm gonna wait for some more feedback regarding the technical aspects of the system. I'd heard that a number of launch Wiis were bricked by a downloadable update... which is the reason I didn't get one at launch. It seems even Nintendo is vulnerable to launch difficulties...

I did play a Wii, though. My brother bought one, and he brought it over for Thanksgiving. The motion sensor is a little shaky, but that could probably just be attributed to the shakiness of the human hand. The control is definitely very intuitive, and fun to use.

The only game my brother had was Wii Sports... which is kind of dull, from what I've played. (I only played three of the games, though.)

Tennis is fairly simplistic, since you don't even move your character. The most that is made of the motion sensor is controlling the general swing direction with the remote. Baseball's pitching was simplistic, while the batting was clunky and unpredictable. In both cases, I think the game mechanics were at fault.

However, Bowling was superb - the best use of the controller, from what I played. Everyone I played with agreed - the game plays just like real bowling. The game perfectly captures my innate, gutter-dooming spin...

You'll do great at it if you play it as real bowling. After we figured this out in the middle of the game, my sister's boyfriend set each shot up the way he normally would bowl, and he scored three strikes in the final frame.

Overall... I was very impressed by the potential of the Wii, and if Wii Bowling is any indication, the motion controls can definitely live up to their promise... if the developer doesn't hinder them. However, I'm waiting for more high-quality games... Zelda seems to be the only must-buy, though I've heard promising things about the Rayman game that came out at launch.You're like a born game reviewer aren't you (this isn't meant to be an insult)
I seen your post on The Gears of War is better than Halo thread (name?)
But nice review.

BoldMushroom
11-25-2006, 04:25 PM
Good news for anyone who wants to get a Wii during the holiday season...

Analysts are predicting Nintendo will be able to ship 150,000 - 200,000 new consoles to the United States (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=21248) each week.

I'm not sure which day of the week they're getting them in (or if they'll be getting them in on different and/or multiple days), but a friend of mine said Sunday... which makes sense, since the Wii debuted on a Sunday. I'll ask about it while I'm at work tonight, and I'll hold one if they do.

Regex
11-25-2006, 11:26 PM

Overall... I was very impressed by the potential of the Wii, and if Wii Bowling is any indication, the motion controls can definitely live up to their promise... if the developer doesn't hinder them. However, I'm waiting for more high-quality games... Zelda seems to be the only must-buy, though I've heard promising things about the Rayman game that came out at launch.Wii Sports is intended to be an easy to play game. Since the Wii was designed to draw in a crowd that didn't play video games before, it's only natural that they will make their bundled game to be exceptionally simple and fun to play.

The games in Wii Sports are simple, but elegant. There are no tournament mechanics, just simple sports gameplay.

For example, the tennis game is actually very well done. Since the characters move toward the ball on their own, you just decide when and how to swing. It makes for a great party game, because the instructions are simple, and 4 players can play simultaneously. My family loved it when I brought it for them to play on Thanksgiving.

I do have a complaint about the baseball game, since it simplifies the base hit process so much.. It appears that in an effort to keep the AI simple, they didn't bother with any of the fielding, they just calculate how long it took a fielder to get the ball, and choose how many bases you get to run based on that.

All in all, not bad for the bundled game that's just designed to demonstrate what the Wii is capable of.

As far as the system goes, the motion sensing is very accurate (as you would be able to see by how Baseball shows your character holding the bat). The sensor for the pointer on the screen can get a little shaky sometimes, but most games that rely on accuracy seem to compensate for that very well, because as much as I see the pointer "jumping" in the Wii menu, I never had that issue in Red Steel or in Zelda.

Ichiro Matsuchani
11-26-2006, 01:24 AM
Good news for anyone who wants to get a Wii during the holiday season...

Analysts are predicting Nintendo will be able to ship 150,000 - 200,000 new consoles to the United States (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=21248) each week.

I'm not sure which day of the week they're getting them in (or if they'll be getting them in on different and/or multiple days), but a friend of mine said Sunday... which makes sense, since the Wii debuted on a Sunday. I'll ask about it while I'm at work tonight, and I'll hold one if they do.Not to menction that they expect to have 4 million consoles shipped by the end of the year. That has me thinking that there might be an overstock (Lol).

Mr.Moomoo
11-30-2006, 03:08 PM
I waited in line for eight hours to get the Wii, and guess what I got it!!!! It is awesome, even though the news and weather channels aren't up yet it still rocks. The game that I got with it is Red Steel, any one who gets the Wii should get Red Steel. Its a pretty short game but it sure is fun, and the story line is one of the best I have ever encountered (so far). I plan on getting the new DBZ game for it, and the Metriod 3 (which comes out next year...argh.) Wii Sports is pretty fun too. Out of all the sports I like golf (which I'm a pro in) and tennis.
Here is something I didn't know till last night. You can email on the Wii, but as soon as you put the person in your address book it sends out an automatic email that asks the reciever if they would like to email the wii, and it has a bunch of numbers as its name so most ppl delete it (which is realy annoying.) They have to reply or you won't be able to email them. The shop channel doesn't have many games but I don't have any money to pay for them so meh. Well if you haven't noticed yet I think that it's
astonishing.

Regex
11-30-2006, 03:15 PM
Red Steel has been one of the lower rated games for the Wii so far. The control scheme seems to irritate people a lot. To me, it felt very unnatural.

Rumor has it that Call of Duty 3 did the controls better.

International 4-8818
11-30-2006, 06:39 PM
Now i might, just might buy a wii just for metroid prime. I am addicted to that game and love it and kinda can't wait to see how they use the controller for it.

Mr.Moomoo
12-01-2006, 12:30 AM
Yes it did at first for me too, but I got used to it and enjoyed the game.

Ranshiin
12-01-2006, 09:27 AM
This time next Friday I will get my Wii

:3

Now, I'm just debating whether to buy Tony Hawks Downhill Jam or ExciteTruck. I don't have a lot of money after buying a new computer (>_<)

Regex
12-01-2006, 09:52 AM
Excitetruck seems a little better than Tony Hawk does.

But what you really want is Zelda.

Ranshiin
12-01-2006, 10:02 AM
I know every Zelda fan will hate me for this dude, but,

though I admit Zelda is a damned good series, and Ocarina of Time is probably THE best video game on at least the Nintendo consoles, I'm not a fan and I don't plan on getting the game.

It's not that I hate it, merely it isn't the sort of game genre I want to play.

o_O Maybe I'll get it to spite my Ninty fanboy cousin.

Khanxay
12-01-2006, 10:31 AM
It's not that I hate it, merely it isn't the sort of game genre I want to play.
Same here.

I'm not fan of Nintendo for their signature series. (Except Super Smash Bros...But that's 3rd party isn't it?) I was never able to really get into Metroid, or the Legend of Zelda Series. And the recent Mario games are just...Blah.(Except Strikers maybe..although I haven't played it recently)

BoldMushroom
12-02-2006, 06:29 AM
I'm not fan of Nintendo for their signature series.I'm kind of the same way... I love the 16-bit games, like Zelda: Link to the Past and Super Mario World, but I am not as entralled with the 3D counterparts of Zelda and Mario. I think there are much better games for the N64 and the GC.

Twilight Princess and Mario Galaxy look phenomenal as well. And Metroid... I adore that. Still, Echoes is too long-winded. Like the song of the same name.

I will hopefully be getting a Wii tomorrow morning. I need to leave to go to the bank in two and a half hours to cash a paycheck or two; that will give me enough money for the system, since expenses have cleaned me out. Then I'll bring the money in with me to work tonight, stay until the store opens, and buy a Wii with my money, along with Zelda.

The kid I tutor is supposed to be there, too... he said he's gonna wait until the store opens to get one. I am supposed to hold one for him - he gets top priority, if there is any problem. (I can wait.) But I don't think there will be - I'll just buy my Wii on the spot, and hold one for him, if I even need to do that.

Innotech
12-03-2006, 01:25 AM
Red Steel has been one of the lower rated games for the Wii so far. The control scheme seems to irritate people a lot. To me, it felt very unnatural.

Rumor has it that Call of Duty 3 did the controls better.

It does. It actually has the option for dynamic aiming, like in red Steel, or Pc like aiming. When you use Pc style aiming, the turning rate is just about as fast as Pc, but IMO much smoother.

P.S. Wii has now sold though over am illion units! go nintendo!

Ranshiin
12-04-2006, 08:01 AM
Twilight Princess and Mario Galaxy look phenomenal as well. And Metroid... I adore that. Still, Echoes is too long-winded. Like the song of the same name.I'm actually rather pissed that Mario Galaxy was delayed and won't be out until 2007 because, quite honestly, I've seen in-game footage of that and it does indeed look damn amazing.

I think I'll get stuck with Excitetruck when it comes out here. I don't have enough money to buy more than one game right now ><

Anime is poison
12-04-2006, 09:39 AM
It's a good system, don't get me wrong. I know in the past I would kinda rip apart Nintendo for being childish, but this system is an improvement game wise. Third party companies are finally generally accepted by Nintendo, which results in some variety for a change. Not crazy about the whole motion sensing thing, so hopefully most, if not all, games that come out for the system will be able to support the joystick or D-pad, or a combination of both.

Evan27
12-05-2006, 12:14 PM
The Wii is one of the greatest inventions of the year! Not only do I love that the Wii has turned out to be a success thus far for Nintendo, but i also love the fact that the PS# is getting negative system reviews and has been a real disappointment:)

Naruto-Demon
01-02-2007, 03:21 PM
It is a good system