PDA

View Full Version : Gatekeepers (21)- Ima Egao ga Areba

andou-mahoro
11-18-2006, 04:04 AM
okay I've been working on the english translations for this song and came across some slight mistakes. Its just on mistake and one other which when wrote is different from what is heard.

but yea... so here's correction

in the first stanza, It's actually "ikikirashi" rather than "ikigirashi" (I couldnt find a single "girashi" word and instead found it under "kirashi")
also Im not so sure if this really matter but in stanzas 4,14 and the last line "e" is actually "he" but when i hear it in the song it sound more like e anyway so... yea not sure if this was really a matter.

Lady Elwen
11-18-2006, 09:12 AM
My dictionary gives: 息切れ(いきぎれ) - shortness of breath
That was the closest match to 息切らし, which is what the lyrics actually say. The only thing I can find that begins with "ikiki" is 行き来(いきき).

As for e/he, when it's used as a particle, I always romanize it as "e", regardless of how the singer chooses to pronounce it. It's the same situation as ha/wa.

Good luck with the translation! Since now I've dug up the kanji again, feel free to post in the Discussions forum or PM me if you want feedback.

Lady Elwen
11-18-2006, 09:17 AM
...ha. I just discovered a REAL mistake in the lyrics: in the second line, I wrote "ega" instead of "egao". *facepalm*

Princess Minako
11-19-2006, 07:50 PM
Lady Elwens mistake was fixed, the other corrections are up to Xazy at the moment.

andou-mahoro
11-26-2006, 12:51 AM
sorry could you type the romaji for the jap characters you wrote? i my comp cant read jap characters yet. *still needt o install the other software and stuff*

but I was using the OST's lyrics i went through every kanji, and hiragana and I'm still pretty sure its 'ikikirashi' (I just searched it up in 2 seperate dictionaries)

Lady Elwen
11-26-2006, 02:44 AM
Typing only the romaji would kind of defeat the point, since I was trying to demonstrate that the kanji used in the lyrics are the same as those used in the phrase "ikigire", whereas the only thing I can find that's pronounced "ikiki" uses the kanji for "going" and "coming".

Did you look up "ikikirashi" as a single phrase? If so, then I will concede the point.

Otherwise, I still think I'm right. I know that read separately, you would have "iki" and "kirashi". However, "ikigire" suggests to me that when in a phrase, the 'k' sound is alliterated, so it's "ikigirashi".

That's about all I can reconstruct of what I was thinking at the time when I romanized the lyrics. I don't have the song around anymore, so I can't listen and say which one sounds right, but I doubt I'd be able to tell anyway. And I don't remember if I had a source that was more on point about whether it's "ikikirashi" or "ikigirashi". None of the dictionaries I've checked -- and I've checked several -- have any compound other than "ikigire".

andou-mahoro
11-27-2006, 06:43 AM
nope I looked up 'ikikirashi' as 'iki' then 'kirashi' noting that I'm translating 'iki' as 'breath' and 'kirashi' as '~less'

and if you typed it in Kanji then i do know what you wrote ^^; I got like I said i have the full lyrics of it in japanese :D and i did match the kanji that the ost lyrics used... but eitherway I guess its okay >.> even i was able to figure it out so if others needed to do what I'm doing i guess they'd figure it out too ne?

anyway good argument :D