PDA

View Full Version : Do any of you know C++

Mr.Moomoo
11-11-2006, 03:06 PM
Do any of you know C++? If so can you tell me if it is hard to learn and what it is based on. If you could do that I would be very grateful. :D

Eris
11-11-2006, 03:58 PM
I know a fair amount of C++. I'm no guru, but I grasp the underlying concepts of the language.

Let's face it: It is hard to learn C++. Some learn a small amount, and think they've gotten it, but they're ultimately very wrong in that assumption. Unless they've spent months, maybe even years reading tens of thousands of pages of books on the subject, they have but a small grasp on the subject.

It really isn't based upon something, though I guess you could say it's an extension of C.

dither
11-11-2006, 08:39 PM
I taught myself a computer game's scripting language that was very similar to C++ over the course of two or three weeks. I had only some of the documentation, but I quickly found the limitations of the language and got bored with it. I don't know how quickly the average person picks up programming languages, but I've found most C++ based languages fairly straight-forward and simple to learn.

It really comes down to how dedicated you are and how much time you have to practice it.

Manhattan_Project_2000
11-12-2006, 12:10 AM
I'm learning C++. I don't really dig it all that much, but all I have to compare it to is VB.Net and the vaguest bits of Basic. So yeah, it's more obtuse then those languages.

And like Diesel said, C++ is an extension on C (++ is an operator that means to accumulate by one in the language, hence the name).

Kid-Buu
11-12-2006, 12:46 AM
I forgot:(

Eris
11-12-2006, 02:46 AM
I taught myself a computer game's scripting language that was very similar to C++ over the course of two or three weeks. I had only some of the documentation, but I quickly found the limitations of the language and got bored with it. I don't know how quickly the average person picks up programming languages, but I've found most C++ based languages fairly straight-forward and simple to learn.

It really comes down to how dedicated you are and how much time you have to practice it.

You confuse C++ with C. Your scripting language was by all probability not similar to C++, otherwise calling it a scripting language would be an insult.

Piper
11-12-2006, 03:24 AM
Actually Advanced C++ is a class I need to take, in order to get my associates degree in computer science. It's on my degree plan, but I'm not quite sure I want to go with this major.. I start in january and I have until December, to make up my mind.

My friends say it's very boring, and that I should go with a Business degree instead. I'm still indecisive at the moment.

Mr.Moomoo
11-12-2006, 08:46 PM
Thanx for all your help guys.

kyubichan
11-13-2006, 02:54 AM
You confuse C++ with C. Your scripting language was by all probability not similar to C++, otherwise calling it a scripting language would be an insult.

He's probably talking about Java, since that's structurally similar to C. There's also Borland C and Visual C. I learned some C and C++ programming, it was pretty hard compared to VB, but then again, it's more stable.

Eris
11-13-2006, 06:59 AM
He's probably talking about Java, since that's structurally similar to C. There's also Borland C and Visual C. I learned some C and C++ programming, it was pretty hard compared to VB, but then again, it's more stable.

Maybe javascript or something along that line, but not Java. Java is like C++ pretty advanced, so it's wrong to call that a scripting language as well. Borland / Visual C are just C compilers. They don't strife that far from standard C.