PDA

View Full Version : Flag Burning

Middy
10-04-2006, 08:05 PM
I was wondering what the general opinion here was on the topic of flag burning? Should it be legal?? Should it be banned? Why or why not.

I believe that flag burning should be legal due to the fact that the First Amendment of the Constitution of the United States states that: "Congress shall make no law abridging the freedom of speech"
Burning a flag is an expression of one's opinion and therefore your right to burn the flag is protected by the First Amendment.
Another point to consider is the fact that if a flag burning ban were passed it would still be perfectly legal to burn the flag out of respect. So..In fact, the ban is not persecuting those who burn flags, only those who do so out of protest. This means that the law would be directed not at the actual act of burning.. But the thought behind it. A scary thought that the government might soon be persecuting you for thinking badly of America. The American Flag is a symbol of freedom.. And I strongly believe that we therefore have the right to burn said flag.. In fact I believe the act to be patriotic. Its a display of the continuing freedoms offered here in America. To ban flag burning would be fundementally altering the Constitution and all that it stands for.

Thats how feel.. How bout you??

Bean Bandit
10-04-2006, 11:15 PM
Topic closed due to posting it twice.