PDA

View Full Version : Fat and Thin Stereotypes

Princely Dreaming Doll
10-04-2006, 12:23 PM
What do you think?

Eris
10-04-2006, 12:27 PM
What do I think about what?

--edit-- Answer to rep I got for this post: If you dont understand the first post, you shouldnt post and ask "about what", that will just consider YOU spamming.

Dear coward (I'm addressing you in this fashion since you fail to reveal your identity in your rep, I can only speculate that is out of fear), I'm not quite sure I follow you, if the first poster makes an ambiguous first post, how is asking for an explaination of this equivocal first post not due?

Princely Dreaming Doll
10-04-2006, 12:34 PM
Duh the topic says Fat and Thin Stereotypes.
Stop being so dumb. Isn't it obvious.

Misha1688
10-04-2006, 12:34 PM
I think everybody is as God left them.....we have to think outside the box and forget about the stereotipes....we are hwo we are no matter how we look

Lacus Clyne
10-04-2006, 12:45 PM
I think she mea--- he means the stereotype that if you're heavy set, you must be ugly. And if you're a thinner person, you must be pretty.

Personally, I don't think this is the case. Personality is really a big thing and it doesn't choose who by who from how they look. Yes, I've admitted before that I'm shallow. I, QUITE personally, don't think I would date a person who was a lot heavier than me. I like my boyfriends to be heavier than me, of course, but a person verging obesity or already AT that point- I don't think it would work. I'm a very active person and I like to run around and do a lot of things. But that doesn't mean that I don't think that person is good-looking or that they must be a TERRIBLE person. A lot of my friends are actually heavier set people. I don't think it's fair that because of how you look, you get put into a certain category. This follows right along with racism, etc.

=\ Prejudice is never a good thing, no matter what it's regarding.

Eris
10-04-2006, 12:50 PM
Duh the topic says Fat and Thin Stereotypes.
Stop being so dumb. Isn't it obvious.

What about fat and thin stereotypes? You're not throwing us much of a bone here...

Hyperaesthesia
10-04-2006, 12:57 PM
If this is about how people are stereotyped based on their weight..

Fat people are often assumed to be lazy, slobby, don't care about themselves, etc. On the positive side, for some reason being fat is also associated with being 'jolly' and cheerful.

Thin people have less stereotypes, but I've found it's sometimes associated with being superficial, although plenty of people are either naturally thin or watch their weight for health reasons.

Lacus Clyne
10-04-2006, 12:59 PM
If this is about how people are stereotyped based on their weight..

Fat people are often assumed to be lazy, slobby, don't care about themselves, etc. On the positive side, for some reason being fat is also associated with being 'jolly' and cheerful.

Thin people have less stereotypes, but I've found it's sometimes associated with being superficial, although plenty of people are either naturally thin or watch their weight for health reasons.
"Thin people" don't have any less stereotypes than "fat people". Thin people are often called anorexic, bulimic, having some other eating disorder, etc. The list goes on. Merely saying that there are less stereotypes for "thin people" is a stereotype in itself.

Hyperaesthesia
10-04-2006, 01:05 PM
"Thin people" don't have any less stereotypes than "fat people". Thin people are often called anorexic, bulimic, having some other eating disorder, etc. The list goes on. Merely saying that there are less stereotypes for "thin people" is a stereotype in itself.For nineteen years, I struggled to maintain my weight at a hundred pounds no matter how much I ate. And yes, I've had doctors accuse me of eating disorders, had ongoing dizzy spells because of low blood pressure, been bullied, got upset over articles proclaiming all thin women are 'unfeminine, scrawny' etc, not worn certain clothes because I look too thin, gone on special high calorie diets, had numerous blood tests and seen my father burst into tears after hugging me because he could feel how thin I was and was terrified I had an eating disorder.

So calm down- I'm well aware that being thin comes with its own problems. Saying there are LESS stereotypes associated with it isn't the same thing as saying it's less of a problem for that person- it isn't the number of stereotypes, it's whether they're positive or negative and what people do with them.

Lacus Clyne
10-04-2006, 01:22 PM
For nineteen years, I struggled to maintain my weight at a hundred pounds no matter how much I ate. And yes, I've had doctors accuse me of eating disorders, been bullied, not worn certain clothes because I look too thin, gone on special high calorie diets, had numerous blood tests and seen my father burst into tears after hugging me because he could feel how thin I was and was terrified I had an eating disorder.

So calm down- I'm well aware that being thin comes with its own problems. Saying there are LESS stereotypes associated with it isn't the same thing as saying it's less of a problem for that person- it isn't the number of stereotypes, it's whether they're positive or negative and what people do with them.
There's nothing to calm down about. This is a discussion, not a battle or verbal assault. I never said anything about the problems. Many thin people are thin because of a disorder, sure, but you misunderstood what I was saying. I said that a lot of people think those that are thin MUST have an eating disorder or something. Especially if they are unusually thin, but this is not always the case.

When I was in high school, I got called anorexic and bulimic a lot because I'm very thin, never ate in front of people and such. Well, being thin is because I'm active and it's my natural body type. As far as not eating in front of people, it makes me very uncomfortable. I don't like people watching or seeing me eat. It isn't a disorder, it's just a weird thing that I do. I have a hard time even eating in front of my family. It's not a big deal. But I had to undergo a lot of harassment about it anyway. I was being stereotyped for being thin, even though there was nothing actually wrong with me.

I don't really believe that a stereotype can or is possible of being positive. In fact, I've never heard of a good one. If you actually look at the definition of "Stereotype" it is not potrayed as being a good thing. (stereotype: Noun 1. A conventional, formulaic, and oversimplified conception, opinion, or image. 2. One that is regarded as embodying or conforming to a set image or type.) They're called stereotypes because they're negative images of things, people, etc.

Basically, all I stated was that you said "thin people" have less stereotypes and this isn't true at all.

Hyperaesthesia
10-04-2006, 01:40 PM
Many thin people are thin because of a disorder, sure, but you misunderstood what I was saying. I said that a lot of people think those that are thin MUST have an eating disorder or something. Especially if they are unusually thin, but this is not always the case.

How did I misunderstand what you were saying? I just responded with the exact same thing- that people spent years thinking I had an eating disorder when there was nothing wrong with me. I still get people assuming I must diet constantly when I eat whatever I please.

I don't really believe that a stereotype can or is possible of being positive. In fact, I've never heard of a good one. If you actually look at the definition of "Stereotype" it is not potrayed as being a good thing. (stereotype: Noun 1. A conventional, formulaic, and oversimplified conception, opinion, or image. 2. One that is regarded as embodying or conforming to a set image or type.) They're called stereotypes because they're negative images of things, people, etc.

There are lots of positive stereotypes- the elderly are wise, women tend to be more sensitive, thin people are healthy and look after themselves, etc. Stereotyping is completely natural- people learn from their experiences and so if they meet fifteen people from group X with characteristic Y, sooner or later they will associate the two. It has equal potential to be negative or positive- the important thing is whether you then assume it must be true of everyone from group X or realise it's just a stereotype and nothing intrinsic to them.

Basically, all I stated was that you said "thin people" have less stereotypes and this isn't true at all.

What have you got? After a quick survey on MSN of negative stereotypes associated with thin/fat people in real life and in the media, we've came up with far more associated with being fat. That doesn't mean less of a problem because less things are associated with it- someone bullied constantly for a suspected eating disorder can suffer as much as someone bullied constantly for being uneducated/lazy/slobby/greedy based on their weight. The number of stereotypes isn't the important thing.

Thin - Superficial and therefore dieting/anorexic, historically associated with being mean.
Fat - Stupid/uneducated, lazy, slobby, low working class, greedy and out of control, negatively associated with certain races, socially inept (Greenleaf et al, 2006)

Lacus Clyne
10-04-2006, 01:59 PM
How did I misunderstand what you were saying? I just responded with the exact same thing- that people spent years thinking I had an eating disorder when there was nothing wrong with me. I still get people assuming I must diet constantly when I eat whatever I please.

You just proved the point of what I was saying, and if you hadn't misunderstood, you portrayed your thoughts incorrectly. You made yourself seem as though you didn't understand.

There are lots of positive stereotypes- the elderly are wise, women tend to be more sensitive, thin people are healthy and look after themselves, etc. Stereotyping is completely natural- people learn from their experiences and so if they meet fifteen people from group X with characteristic Y, sooner or later they will associate the two. It has equal potential to be negative or positive- the important thing is whether you then assume it must be true of everyone from group X or realise it's just a stereotype and nothing intrinsic to them.

I wouldn't say that any stereotype is positive. My opinion. I stated that "I believe". =) I'm allowed to have my own opinion. Also- I've never heard that "thing people are healthy and look after themselves" stereotype. Ever. Actually, that stereotype is also negative. If someone thought that of me, just because I was thin, I'd be offended. I don't really take care of myself; I don't put a lot of time and energy into remaining thin. It's not something I work at, so for someone to say that to me, or think that of me, would be offensive. Considering they are making a stereotype about me and what I do, how I act, etc.

I never said that stereotyping isn't a way of life or that people do it frequently. So I can't comprehend why you're going on about how people do it all the time. If people didn't do it all the time, we wouldn't have this discussion, now would we. But you are right, that is the only important matter of a stereotype. That fragment also contradicts itself, however. If something is a "positive" stereotype, why would you "realize it's just a stereotype", wouldn't you like to have that stereotype then?

What have you got? After a quick survey on MSN of negative stereotypes associated with thin/fat people in real life and in the media, we've came up with far more associated with being fat. That doesn't mean less of a problem because less things are associated with it- someone bullied constantly for a suspected eating disorder can suffer as much as someone bullied constantly for being uneducated/lazy/slobby/greedy based on their weight. The number of stereotypes isn't the important thing.

Thin - Superficial and therefore dieting/anorexic, historically associated with being mean.

Fat - Stupid/uneducated, lazy, slobby, low working class, greedy and out of control, negatively associated with certain races, socially inept (Greenleaf et al, 2006)

I don't even know where to begin with this one.

Alright. You're attempting to make me seem as though I don't believe heavier people go through as much stereotypical trauma as those that are skinny here. You keep saying that "the numbers don't matter", however, if the numbers didn't matter- You wouldn't keep bringing them up. I have yet to bring them up in any matter. Your post leads me to believe that you believe that those that are heavier undergo more troubling stereotypes than those that are thing; my opposing post was an attempt to get you to realize that this is not the case. You have stated that you go through trouble a lot because of people stereotyping you because of your weight, well, then you should know exactly what I'm talking about. However, if you do, it isn't displaying very well in how you are representing yourself. And what you are stating is basically everything I have said, though rephrased and said differently.

Don't take offense to this, but I think you should thoroughly read through posts that you are going to respond to before posting back to them. This has been nothing more than a repeating of what I've been saying, misunderstandings and bickering at that. That is not what this thread is supposed to be. Thanks. <3 ;D

Sarix
10-04-2006, 02:00 PM
well everything needs a sterotype

1Inuyasha
10-04-2006, 02:02 PM
i think size doesnt matter and isnt everything cause its what is on the inside that counts

Eris
10-04-2006, 02:10 PM
i think size doesnt matter and isnt everything cause its what is on the inside that counts

Well, technically, fat is on the inside.

poi_lkj_ask
10-04-2006, 02:12 PM
its me every body poi_lkj_ask or just ask

Hyperaesthesia
10-04-2006, 02:22 PM
You just proved the point of what I was saying, and if you hadn't misunderstood, you portrayed your thoughts incorrectly. You made yourself seem as though you didn't understand.

I said outright that I was accused of having eating disorders lots and agreed that thin people have problems too, going so far as to list the specific problems that I had. I don't see how that can be misinterpreted at all- I never argued that thin people aren't negatively stereotyped against. I agreed they were!

If something is a "positive" stereotype, why would you "realize it's just a stereotype", wouldn't you like to have that stereotype then?

Surprrisingly, overusing positive stereotypes is actually harmful. For example, assuming that all Asians are extremely good at maths and science puts pressure on all Asian students to excel there when they may actually be more of an art student.

Alright. You're attempting to make me seem as though I don't believe heavier people go through as much stereotypical trauma as those that are skinny here. You keep saying that "the numbers don't matter", however, if the numbers didn't matter- You wouldn't keep bringing them up.

I bring up the number because you responded to my post claiming that there are an equal number of stereotypes. In fact, that seems to be the only point of outright disagreement.

It seems like a lot of quibbling over one minor point, and I'd like to hope it's the end of things. You responded to my post claiming there were the same number of stereotypes. I responded agreeing that the stereotypes are equally damaging, but arguing that based on studies like Greenleaf et al, there are more fat stereotypes even if I believe that both have the same potential for damage.

Furubalova
10-04-2006, 03:00 PM
(~My Opinion~)
I truthfully don't think that skinny people are any better/worse than fat people. We're all people aren't we? I mean, just because SOME fat people and SOME skinny people act a certain way doesn't mean that they ALL act the same way. Some people just have a little more meat than others is the way I see it. I think stereotypes are stupid anyway.Just because this group acts a different way they're valley girls, the next groups are cheerleaders, the next preps.... Although sometimes these stereotypes are indeed true, they're still kinda not right. Yeah, just cause she's blonde and pretty makes her the regular air-headed blonde huh? Don't think so.

Mugen's Girl ~
10-04-2006, 03:24 PM
I Agree With You Furubalova, It's Like You Said. Most People Today Just Take One Look At You, And Decide Who You Are. I'm Not Saying It's Bad To Have Your Own Opinion, I'm Just Saying That Before You Know It, There Will Be Rumors, And Names For You. I Overhear People In The Hallways At School, Saying That Kinda Stuff About People All The Time.

I Have Nothing Against Heavier People, Nor Very Skinny People. If There's Something Wrong With Them (Eating Disorders,) Then That's There Problem, It's No One Else's To Stereotype Them.

[H-Es.]
10-04-2006, 03:32 PM
What do you think?They are funny.

No im joking...Its kinda mean to make fun of fat people.

Sagat
10-04-2006, 03:48 PM
i think size doesnt matter and isnt everything cause its what is on the inside that countsI'm sure you will keep this at the forefront of your mind when an obese girl asks if you want to dance with her as opposed to the thin girl in tight jeans who also wants to dance with you.

And the majority of fat people I've met, ARE lazy or in some way slobbish.

Cat_Demon
10-04-2006, 03:49 PM
It's another one of those stereotypes that most go by. Just because your 'fat' doesn't mean anything, just you got a little meat. Being 'skinny' you really don't got meat. Your going to have stereotypes everywhere you go. It's best to ignore it, or if you wish fight back. Still its wrong of people to treat others, just by their weight, or anything else for that matter.

Faceless111
10-04-2006, 04:16 PM
I personally wish the whole world was fat. That'd take care of so many issues people've been having. First starters, all those starving kids in Africa would stop asking for my nickels and dimes. And Secondly, well, population wouldn't be an issue anymore. People would be eating themselves to death and everyone wouldn't want to repopulate (I mean to say that everyone is shallow, no matter what they say). And this part is most important to all the pacifistic hippies, there'd be no more war. Everyone would be too fat and lazy to combat each other. In the end, if everyone was fat, everyone wins... to an extent.

Princess Cupcake
10-04-2006, 04:49 PM
What about fat and thin stereotypes? You're not throwing us much of a bone here...Exactly.
He means expand, deary.

And I don't think much of the stereotypes. Stereotypes are just there and they don't bother me. Some harmless some not, most harmless. For example, "It's said that Thin people..." Doesn't mean it's true.

sucky
10-04-2006, 06:42 PM
cool

Buruku
10-04-2006, 06:48 PM
One steriotype I always thought was funny was that whenever there's like some crowded area or something and all of a sudden it starts to smell everyone always thinks "oh someone farted, must of been the fat guy over there" seriously whats up with that? It always gets blammed on the fat people lol. My experience is that the worst smelling ones come out of the skinnies. Please believe people.

razzen88
10-04-2006, 08:54 PM
Well, technically, fat is on the inside.
*laughs* true

stereotypes sicken me. i have done sports most of my life and eat like a bird and yet i am still slightly overweight. people just ASSUME i sit on my tush and eat like an elephant.

when really my metabolism is as slow as a slug lol

Elfy
10-04-2006, 09:17 PM
stereotypes sicken me. i have done sports most of my life and eat like a bird and yet i am still slightly overweight. people just ASSUME i sit on my tush and eat like an elephant.

when really my metabolism is as slow as a slug lol

I ahve that problem too...I barely ever eat as well yet I'm also slightly overweight.

Stereotypes are just harsh...I really don't like them at all. Some of the nicest and best people are fat...some of them are really smart..its the whole "fat and stupid mentality that gets me mad.

Rageling
10-04-2006, 09:25 PM
I like fat people, they're cuddly, and I can hug a fat person without worrying they're gonna break. I used to be really shallow then one day suddenly looks just stopped mattering as much, it still matters, and it probably always will but I now look at personality a lot more than I used to.

Elfy
10-04-2006, 09:31 PM
Looks have never really mattered to me...that's why I find it hard to believe that people discriminate because of that.

Faceless111
10-04-2006, 10:07 PM
I like fat people, they're cuddly, and I can hug a fat person without worrying they're gonna break. I used to be really shallow then one day suddenly looks just stopped mattering as much.You remind me of my brother. He likes fat kids too and always wants to hug them or give them a cheeseburger. It was rather funny, we were driving in the neighborhood and my bro just hits the brakes once he saw a little chubby kid with a basketball in one hand and a soda in the other. He sat there just staring and saying, "Awww, so cute! I want to adopt him! Look at those cheeks! He can hardly breathe!"

__Jesse__
10-04-2006, 10:16 PM
Our bodies were given to us to take care of us. True, they won't matter when we're dead, but for those of us that don't that day will come sooner than later. I'm not fat, I'm muscular, but that doesn't mean I'm very healthy. I do things that are harmful to my body. Heart disease is hereditary in my father's side of the family, so statistics say I could be as healthy as a hoarse and still have problems down the road.

But since this thread isn't about health, I have to ask: How do people become fat? Because every fat person I've ever met has said it's genetic, slow metabolism, or some other scapegoat. But I find it hard to believe that most people don't get fate from overeating. I'm sure there's some, but I've never met too many fat people who have actually said they're fat because they eat too much (well, except some, but they were all redneck dudes that could care less). So, if anyone on here who is fat could answer my question, because I'm really curious.

One of my best friends was just as fat as the next fat person, but he actually admitted it was his fault. He even said girls will turn him down and not tell him why, and he said it was because he was fat. I of coarse, being his friend, said "No, no, it must be something else." But he wasn't quite that naive. When I saw him at the beginning of the school year (I hadn't seen him all summer because I was busy), I about didn't recognize him. He wasn't what you'd call skinny, but he sure as sure as hell wasn't someone you'd refer to as a fat person.

Wanting to be like the women on the front of Vogue and becoming belemic isn't a good thing, either, so don't think I'm saying that. As a matter of fact I am not very attractive to overly thin women. But guys, if your fat you just got alot of muscle potential. Start walking each day to lose some of the weight and start working out with weights to turn the fat into muscle. When fat people actually get up and try to do something about is what kills the sterotypes for me. If you do what I just said, then no fat stereotypes apply to you, even if it takes a while to change, your still doing something productive to your cause.

Rageling
10-04-2006, 11:07 PM
Bleh, living healthy living unhealthy, whatever happened to living happy? Some people like eating so let them eat and get fat, it makes them happy. Besides what if we get plunged into a sudden ice age? I'll bet you'd wish you had a bit more body fat then.

Personally I find really muscular people more unattractive than others. I like a little muscle, especially in a guy, but when it gets to the point that they look like He-Man it just becomes really unattractive. I saw a guy on this magazine, he scared me, you could see his skin stretching and veins bulging....he was freaky looking.

Elena
10-05-2006, 04:53 AM
I don't assume that a thin person has starved themselves to attain their figure. Saying that when I see a girl with bones protuding underneath their skin I do tend to think that it looks unhealthy, regardless of their eating habits. I used to be very thin that when I was younger and people told me I was too skinny and it didn't look nice. I couldn't help the way I looked; I ate regular meals and hardly excercised. Thats just the way I was until recently. (I'm putting on weight much to my boyfriends amusement - he keeps grabbing my new found rolls)

I also don't assume that a fat person eats to much and never excercises. I try only make judgements on people I know well enough to do so. However in most cases I do believe people do have an effect on the way they look, but like I said, I try not to judge people I don't know.

~Oukoku Inmetsu
10-05-2006, 08:48 AM
<.< I get called annorexic all the time and it really does bother me. I mean, i eat like a pig when i get home or if i'm at a buffet of some sorts. >3 Like, i went to Myrtle Beach last spring and ate at this place called Benjamin's. I had crab legs like stacked to the cieling. <.< "MORE BUTTER!!!" I swear, my friend's family just starred. Though the dad was like, "Go get us some more!" And of course i'd bring a boat load back. I love food, though if it sucks i'm basically not going to touch it. But seriously, you give me the right food and i'll tear it up. o.O And no, i'm not belumic. *Shoves friend next to him.*

Miss Moonlight
10-25-2006, 09:10 PM
I'm sure you will keep this at the forefront of your mind when an obese girl asks if you want to dance with her as opposed to the thin girl in tight jeans who also wants to dance with you.

And the majority of fat people I've met, ARE lazy or in some way slobbish.
Oh come on steve, I'm sure you can be less judgemental then that.

Personally, sterotypes are just sterotypes. It's not healthy to be overweight, or too thin, you need a balance. But It's not right to discriminate based on physical appearance alone, that just makes you more close minded and less of a accepting person.