PDA

View Full Version : [TV series] Chobits

miniPhil
09-18-2006, 11:21 AM
Chobits

Type: TV series, 24 episodes plus 4 special episodes.
Genre: Comedy, Drama.

Plot synopsis
In the not too distant future persocoms reign supream as the most popular form of technology. These walking talking machines are identical to humans in every way with the exception of their mechanical ears which contain an assortment of wires allowing them to go on line, plug in to televisions and preform other tasks. Everyone who is anybody owns and know these machines inside out, however our main character is a nobody. Hideki Motosuwa is a 19 year old farm boy who has failed to get into collage, he travels to Tokyo to improve on his studies and hopefully get into collage next year. Within his first week in Tokyo Hideki comes a cross an abandoned persocom whom he names Chii!

Story (10/10) -
This is where Chobits really shines, for the first half of the series it seems to be more of a comedy as you begin to learn about the characters. However by the second half of the series it becomes apparent why this show is so popular. Its as though dickens himself has come back from the dead to write the script. Following the lives of several couples, Chobits really makes you feel for the characters you spent the first half learning about!
Characters (10/10) -
Although not nearly as good as some shows such as Azumanga Daioh, Chobits still shines in this department. Chobits seemingly has it all, from innocent Chii and Sumomo to cool and collected Shinbo, and i can assure you that you'll fall in love with Hidekis nature of being a nice guy with a perverted mind.
Art/animation (9/10) -
Not bad! smooth frame work and the it doesn't skip near parts when Chii lights up! Although its no Final Fantasy, Chobits has some nice background detail and you wont be left waiting for the characters to do something.
Voice acting, music (7/10) -
Although the theme music will have you humming for hours the voice acting can leave you with your ears ringing. I wont lie to you, the voice acting can get very annoying! Chii's repetion of the word 'Chii' gets highly annoying as its obviously recorded once and just played over and over. It gets worse, regardless of how cute or funny Sumomo is i have the largest urge to reach out and grab that 'god dam whistle', you'll be wondering if her voice can get any high about half way through an episode....then she'll scream!
Overall (9/10) -
Overall Chobits is a delightful little romance show with some superb comedy moments thrown in, and unlike some shows the ending wont leave you wondering what happened. If you haven't watched this show then i seriously recommend you pick up a copy today and if you have then sit back a relive the excitement you first enjoyed

- miniPhil.

darkrider21
09-12-2012, 11:15 PM
10 out of 10 all the way. befor clannad chobits was #1 in my anime book

✞GrimStride✞
09-13-2012, 01:32 AM
I'm not a fan of romance anime but Chobits is definitely one of the few exceptions in my list . I loved it and highly recommend it 9/10

prestonmsl
11-01-2012, 11:01 AM
Rather amusing phrase

Elezzina
11-05-2012, 01:34 PM
Chobits is fantastic Anime... I love it!! ^^

Konomi
11-05-2012, 09:55 PM
yeah... Really chobits. I used to have a chobits layout when friendster was still in the air.

Synizta
05-05-2013, 11:49 AM
I voted 8 (based on my rating on MyAnimeList i gave it)

I found Chobits really enjoyable, even more so after i got through the first couple episodes that had me thinking it might just be a bunch of perverted nonsense. Glad it decided to not go down that route honestly, plus Chi was adorable. >.< xD

Peppermint Hearts
01-27-2016, 04:10 PM
I have it rated at 10 because I consider it one of the best , most enjoyable and cutest anime series I have ever seen!

Holocast
01-27-2016, 08:18 PM
It was a very cute anime, though I did enjoy the manga much better. I really like the voice actress they used for Chii though ^^

Tasuke
01-28-2016, 09:11 PM
a solid 10. one of my all-time favorites since i first saw it during the initial PIONEER/GENEON DVD release the better part of fifteen years ago.

more recently, i finally got the chance to read the original Manga via the two-part DARK HORSE omnibus edition, and it is even better still...

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll310/shaorin-chan/Anime/Chobits%20Colle%20JOHN%201-16-15_zps96fo4vrk.jpg

someoneofforumpast
01-29-2016, 08:13 AM
It was a very cute anime, though I did enjoy the manga much better. I really like the voice actress they used for Chii though ^^

I completely agree and I will always hold Chobits near and dear to my heart as it was the first Manga Series I bought and read completely.

mimiruchan
01-30-2016, 10:48 PM
I really loved this series. Chobits volume 1-3 were my very first manga purchases way back when ^^- ITS SO flipping cute.
I was in love with the style of clamp artwork after this...it also is what made me start drawing in that style.
The story line is really good as well...however I personally liked the manga more than the anime.. I wish I could write why, I suppose I'm one of "those fans" that appreciates the art more in the manga than the animation style in the anime. But - that is a very small fault and only personal preference. I appreciate them both either way haha.

Tasuke
01-31-2016, 06:03 PM
things are presented and handled WAY BETTER in the Manga, IMHO.

Manga's got it's share of cute and silly moments, but also plenty of drama and serious storytelling .

the Anime adaption, unfortunately, while still very good, tends to focus far too much on stereotypical Corny Anime antics,
and much of the drama is handled in a more Campy fashion overall, probably in deliberate effort
to soften such oft-uncomfortable subject matter for enhanced Palatability towards a more broad Japanese T.V. audience.

all in all, CLAMP's original treatment gives one more of what makes the Anime great, and does a better job of it overall. just my $0.25 centavos...

Tasuke
02-06-2016, 09:42 AM
FYI; late-1990's Prototypical Grandmother of "Chii" and, by extension, the "Persocom" in general;

http://www.animeforum.com/showthread.php?128734-quot-HMX-12-Multi-quot-TSUKUDA-HOBBY-quot-To-Heart-quot-1-5-scale-quot-Full-Action-Doll-Series-quot

TMac3000
05-25-2016, 03:29 PM
Didn't vote, but this one of my favorites. Starts off funny, but turns serious quick, and gets really REALLY deep and messed up.
I see Chobits as a story about loneliness and what it means to be human.