PDA

View Full Version : Bad anime dubs

Capernicus
09-11-2006, 12:33 AM
When I am excited about an anime, and I go against my cheapness and actually buy it, nothing is worse then finding that it has been dubbed horribly. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy watching subbed anime from time to time. But I like to enjoy the dubbing as well. I am familiar with popular voice actors, and somehow it bonds me with that anime even more when I hear Greg Aryes (sp?) is voicing a character.

So what anime has the worst dubbing in your opinion?

Here are a few of my picks:

Burst Angel
Naruto
Inuyasha
Ranma 1/2
Ruroni Kenshin

otaku_ayachan
09-11-2006, 02:27 AM
most of the anime that enter at my country(except the one at animax channel)all is horrible!i don't like it >(

red storm
09-11-2006, 02:46 AM
Oh please, you think you have it bad? Be glad you don't live in Holland. Dutch dubs are unispired, generally use the same voice actors over and over and lack emotion (you think it's annoying Naruto got the voice of Ash Ketchum? We got Ash in every anime!). Not to mention Dutch dubs have the annoying tendecy to stop halfway through a season, only to restart from the beginning.

Master Wu
09-11-2006, 03:45 AM
When I am excited about an anime, and I go against my cheapness and actually buy it, nothing is worse then finding that it has been dubbed horribly. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy watching subbed anime from time to time. But I like to enjoy the dubbing as well. I am familiar with popular voice actors, and somehow it bonds me with that anime even more when I hear Greg Aryes (sp?) is voicing a character.

So what anime has the worst dubbing in your opinion?

Here are a few of my picks:

Burst Angel
Naruto
Inuyasha
Ranma 1/2
Ruroni KenshinGotta Disagree with ya on three of those I like the Ranma, and Inu Yasha Dub. And I havent heard much of the Naruto dub... its just i gotta put ma man Kyle over (voice of kiba)

As far as Dubs I hate...
Ping Pong Club
Tenchi Muyo
Initial D (cause they changed the music)
Hyper Police

kurosaki
09-11-2006, 05:10 AM
All dubbed anime in my country, Indonesia, is far from good...

they got one person's voice for many characters... for example, Naruto and Rock Lee are dubbed by one person....

DynastyxFell
09-11-2006, 12:40 PM
I don't watch many dubs, and all the ones I watch a pretty good. One exception though, is Sailor Moon. The butchered Sailor Moon almost beyond repair. Everyone's voice is high-pitched and extremely annoying. Its very pathetic.

None of the above
09-11-2006, 12:46 PM
Till now I didn't watch many anime dubs, I really fear and hate them... So my number one- the badest Anime dub-Inuyasha... All these dubs are simply horrible...

Doriimu
09-11-2006, 01:04 PM
I'll now talk about German dubs.
Well, I guess that would be the anime DVD releases that haven't been aired on TV. They are for the most part totally butchered, like Gravitation, Rozen Maiden, Tenchi Muyo! and Trigun. Very few voices fit the characters, they all sound too old for the character's age.

I haven't seen any English dubs except Sailor Moon. I have to say that some of the voices during the "DiC saga" actually fit the characters very well. I almost liked the dub... especially when compared to the incredibly creepy French dub. Omg, you have to watch this, it's priceless, but on the other hand, you almost wish it didn't exist. The part where I stopped "liking" it was the moment when I heard my fav character talk. It was a horrible voice... so my interest didn't last very long ^^°

I have seen the YGO movie in hebrew. Now THAT's fantasic. I mean, it's so totally off, but it still manages to be good somehow. Note to me, that doesn't really belong here, but when we talk about YGO: The English YGO dub (I haven't seen much of it) is awful too.

GodOrDevil?
09-11-2006, 01:09 PM
Oh please, you think you have it bad? Be glad you don't live in Holland. Dutch dubs are unispired, generally use the same voice actors over and over and lack emotion (you think it's annoying Naruto got the voice of Ash Ketchum? We got Ash in every anime!). Not to mention Dutch dubs have the annoying tendecy to stop halfway through a season, only to restart from the beginning.
Lol, that must be horrible.

As for bad dubs, I think i'm going to go with Gigantor. Is that really fair though?

HellHog
09-13-2006, 01:26 PM
people say love hina is a bad english dub but i kinda like it

Slumber
09-13-2006, 01:35 PM
One Piece's dub absolutly sucks.

Ichiro Matsuchani
09-13-2006, 06:53 PM
Most dubs suck, period.

Yet I think the worst I've seen is the one of Love Hina.

pyrothunder336
09-13-2006, 07:12 PM
One Piece, Shaman King, digimon and Naruto dubs sucked beyond belief. Whoever did it needs to burn in hell!!!

Chaux
09-13-2006, 07:58 PM
i think i like subs much, much better than dubs.
i must say the inuyasha dub is terrible... -_-*
(naruto isnt all that great either)

HellHog
09-14-2006, 08:02 AM
narutos voice in english dub is scary and cheesy

HyperHacker
09-14-2006, 10:02 PM
The English voices in the Ranma dub burn my ears. All of them.

And let's not forget the atrocity that is Card Captors.

Kamatari
09-15-2006, 06:14 PM
In Venezuela we get the spanish dubs (from Mexico). They're not BAD, they try to put some emotion in them. The problem is that they use the exact same voice actors for every single anime, so the voices get ridiculously repetitive ¬_¬

Rowloman
09-15-2006, 10:50 PM
Without a doubt uhh Canadian DBZ

Acnologia
09-16-2006, 12:05 AM
The Naruto dub is bad. Watching it will substancially drop your IQ
If you watch it, you fail.

g00b
09-26-2006, 08:12 PM
i saw a preview and heard samples of the naruto dub (english) and it made me want to put spiders eggs under my eyelids until they bled before tying my tongue to a truck and being dragged through nettles, before climbing a cliff made of jagged broken glass and hurling myself into a pile of rusty nails
so yeah, i didnt like it much

.Gogo
09-27-2006, 01:06 AM
Even though I still enjoy watching them, I have to knock down

Naruto
Sailor Moon
Yugioh(<thats a huge one)

I didn't see that much problems with Kenshin though, or Inuyasha. Especially if you buy them on DVD, then the english ones are good because they're not kid-proof ^^

zelda54545
09-27-2006, 11:22 AM
naruto dubbed totally sucks

FuyumiAya
09-27-2006, 11:52 AM
thanks to dubbing, I now offically HATE Naruto! DX
Marline(I think) Flanagan.... stop stealling my last name and stop being the voice of the word's wore dubb and get a life!

gaaratheone
09-27-2006, 12:05 PM
I really like the japonese voice of anime naruto and shaman king...
But in english is dramatic...
Its to scary...
lol
Japones voices are the best...

Old_Toonami_Fangirl
10-26-2006, 10:56 AM
oh my gosh! I would definately have to say Sailor Moon!!! The Dubbed version is absolutely horrible!!!!!!!

Gnosis
10-26-2006, 11:55 AM
I always prefer to watch the Japanese over the English Voice Acting. The Japanese Seiyu are much better. Plus, I have no problem reading subtitles.

buhbibutterfly
10-26-2006, 12:22 PM
without a doubt the worse dubbed series out there would have to be one piece...it's not just the VA cuz those sux too and they don't go with the character, its also the chopping of episodes or the joining of episodes...and even the leaving whole storylines out....hate 4kids for destroying this series...

wizz-o-matic
10-26-2006, 12:45 PM
most of all English dubs ... personally I just can't stand watching English dubs ... if I watched a dubbed anime ... it's only Italian dubs >_>

Fiery
10-26-2006, 12:52 PM
Well, Angel Sanctuary doesn't have a -terrible- dub, but it's pretty bad. However, it's worse trying to watch it with subtitles, because they're horribly translated.

asian_brad
10-27-2006, 09:45 AM
Well there are a couple of them I'd like to list and why their dubs were horrible:

Naruto, the voice of Naruto was really childish and hig pitched. I really didn't care for Sakura's voice either, it was also childish
One Piece, the voice of Luffy was way off, he is a teenager not a shrilled voiced twelve-year old

Scarlet Wings
10-28-2006, 11:23 PM
One Piece, Naruto, and Zatch Bell

Balance
10-28-2006, 11:27 PM
I'd have to say Naruto and Fruits Basket. They seriously don't have a taste for personality, voice relationships. I really think that you have to search for the perfect voice for each character, and if you can't find one, then find the closest one! Naruto is horrible, and Tohru sounds like she has a glove in her mouth (and whining). My goodness...

Miss Moonlight
10-29-2006, 12:16 AM
The sailormoon dubs of S & Supers BY CWI were horrible. I actually refused to watch them because lynda ballentine's (serena's new va) voice made my ears bleed.

Yea, they didn't do the dubbing correctly, and royally screwed it up. Even more so then DIC.

lorie
10-29-2006, 07:44 AM
The worst number one is naruto. How it starts ALL OVER AGAIN after just finishing the first season >.>

-Shinigami-
10-29-2006, 08:06 AM
The worst dub is One Piece. I hate Luffy's voice. -_-;;

Moonlight Eve
10-29-2006, 08:09 AM
worst dubb I ever heard was from Ranma 1/2! ohhh my poor ears! They bleed to death after that one.

Beyond the Grave KO
10-29-2006, 12:21 PM
Narutlo and Bleach has the worst dubbing ever!!!! I mean "BELIEVE IT!"

Slumber
10-29-2006, 01:08 PM
Narutlo and Bleach has the worst dubbing ever!!!! I mean "BELIEVE IT!"
I'll have to disagree there. I'm quite satisfied with dub's result. The only voice I don't much like is Chad's (the voice itself is good, but it sounds too old for Chad. Honestly, I laughed when he said he was 15). Anyways, while not excessivly bad, DBZ had some pretty over dramatic voices.

tobeza
10-29-2006, 03:14 PM
Neon Genesis Evangelion english dub is the worst dub ever....

Kagome
10-29-2006, 10:42 PM
I have to agree with quite a number of people here and say that nearly all dubbed anime is down right abhorrent! xO

Listening to most any anime in English dub makes my ears bleed and me nearly pull the hair right off my head.

I actually *did* pull hair from my head when I heard Inuyasha dubbed....x.x It was *that* bad...

So far as I know Tenchi Muyo and Bubble Gum Crisis Tokyo 2040 are the only good English dubs in existance. Even FMA dubbed made me cry.

Regex
10-29-2006, 11:06 PM
I'll have to disagree there. I'm quite satisfied with dub's result. The only voice I don't much like is Chad's (the voice itself is good, but it sounds too old for Chad. Honestly, I laughed when he said he was 15). Anyways, while not excessivly bad, DBZ had some pretty over dramatic voices.Chad sounded like that in the original Japanese too. He's supposed to be a bit.. Big and strong.

It's Urahara Kisuke whose voice doesn't fit. He sounds less like a crazy mysterious guy, and more like a creepy fat guy who won't lay off the donuts.

loveheart
10-30-2006, 05:27 AM
yeah well i never really like the english dubs in the first place! it really annoys me how their voices never fits with the characters like it does with the japanese ones... but i guess some japanese voices do intend to annoy me cause it's too... ehh i don't know how to put it at this moment...

Aterin™
10-30-2006, 04:37 PM
One Piece would have to be the worst dub out there, even more so than than the Naruto dub...

yotsuba-chan
10-30-2006, 06:10 PM
I'm going to reitterate and say Yugi-oh. Yami-Yugi's voice will always make me laugh my arse off, and it ruined the manga for me.

Most of the Advent Children voices were really horrible.

mikk
10-30-2006, 06:57 PM
Naruto
Cowboy Bebop
Chobits
One Piece
Neon Genesis Evangelion

Got a few more but cant remember the names atm

Mizuhara Chiyo
11-02-2006, 07:37 PM
I've come to Hate the Yu-Gi-Oh! dub but not so much for the voice acting; the voice that does the Yugis is the bomb (Especially Atem *wipes up drool*) but what I can't forgive how they've all but erased the Japanese culture out the story. From the way they've made things look only Yugi and his Grandpa are the only ones who are Japanese. That's just something I can't stomach from any dub.

And btw worse dub voice ever IMHO: Normal Marik--OMG *Holds ears and runs away*

-Shinigami-
11-25-2006, 09:49 AM
Well there are a couple of them I'd like to list and why their dubs were horrible:

Naruto, the voice of Naruto was really childish and hig pitched. I really didn't care for Sakura's voice either, it was also childish
One Piece, the voice of Luffy was way off, he is a teenager not a shrilled voiced twelve-year old

Haha yeah, Luffy's voice is extremely high! So is Naruto's.. however, an anime dub I really hate is Zech's voice from Gundam Wing...

kyubichan
11-25-2006, 10:04 AM
CCS, YGO and One Piece were really bad dubs XD

I hate the Shaman King dubbed version where they gave Len Tao a British accent!!! WTH?! He's Chinese!

koori-chan
11-25-2006, 10:50 AM
Urk... dubs are horrible...

A list of dubbed anime that I watched and thought they sucked:

One Piece
Shaman King
Dragonball
Sailor Moon
Weiss Kreuz
Fushigi Yugi
Cowboy Bebop
Inuyasha
Saiyuki
Bleach
YuYu Hakusho
Yugioh
Digimon
Naruto

The anime that's aired in my country are dubbed and it really felt insulting to watch them... A mockery... All hail subs!!!

harusame
11-25-2006, 07:46 PM
The dub for Hikaru no go had to have be the worst I've ever heard!

Tomoyo01
11-26-2006, 01:27 AM
Every dub is bad for me! I really prefer subs!

-Shinigami-
11-27-2006, 03:58 AM
Every dub is bad for me! I really prefer subs!
Then you haven't seen very many dubbed anime, because not every dubbed anime is "bad" (even though I prefer subbed myself).

shichiyou
11-27-2006, 05:53 PM
Bad dubs are why I no longer buy domestic. My picks would have to be..
Inuyasha,Naruto,Yu-Gi-Oh,Ceres The Celestial Legend,Rurouni Kenshin

zerog
11-27-2006, 06:01 PM
Subs are more original cuz it is originated from japan well not all anime but the majority of them are subbed and in Japanese Audio...

the one that killed it was Initial D in English ughhh....

Sakura Koneko
11-30-2006, 08:43 PM
Bannou Bunka Nekomusume TV (All Purpose Cultural Cat Girl Nuku Nuku TV >_> in America...)

I wanted to stab myself in the ear... :/ had the misfortune of living with someone for a while who would only watch dubs because he was too lazy to read subtitles.

Final Fantasy Unlimited is pretty bad too, but only because of a few actors... whoever does the voice of the little girl shows no emotion what-so-ever... and if I'm correct in remembering, just used her normal talking voice. That's not talent...

Which also leads to the overused voice actors/actresses who you recognize right away because they always use the same voice (how many times have you heard Sasami from Tenchi Muyo in other anime?).

Not every dub is bad... it's just very hard to find good or even halfways tolerable ones... especially if you've seen the original Japanese version first so you have a thought in your head of how a character -should- sound.

Tenchi Muyo (even after my comment a bit ago) was actually a pretty good dub (cept that they dubbed the songs -_- that ticked me off)... as is Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (except the Tachikoma because all of them have actresses that didn't change their voices from other things they've done... er... including Sasami's actress...)

I really can't think of any others at the moment.

This is all my personal opinion though, people can like whatever they want, doesn't mean I will.

Riina-chan
12-03-2006, 07:46 AM
Bleach and Naruto have bad dubs because most of the voices don't fit to the characters.

pedros
12-03-2006, 08:06 AM
emm 90&#37; of anime aired in polish TV (HYPER is an exeption) is bad subed, What to expect they come from US and americans cannot sub well.

Black Pony
01-23-2007, 09:07 AM
One of the reasons why anime get slaughtered is because of polictical correctness. For example in Shaman King they show swassikas on Anna's Shikigamis which really have anougher meaning (I think it's Hindu) but no 4Kids did not want that and the amount of crosses taken out makes it look as though Christinanity has no right in anime. At first I just wached the English dubs but when I sore on the internet on how much anime has been changed and I would rather now watch the Japanese origanal with subtitles. Kids could actuly learn from anime if they kept more towards the orgianal and if just describe what certain things mean. I read on the internet that Tokyo Mew Mew is about saving the enviroment you know something importent but the English dub is Mew Mew Power or Hollywood Mew Mew and now it is about love and boys. Imagen if 4kids got an anime about a Autistic person who's a Christian as well.

sa5m
01-23-2007, 04:14 PM
My vote goes to Kodocha and Slayers! And Sailor Moon too...

pfftlecakes
01-26-2007, 04:48 PM
The only dub I've actually found that I like was Cowboy Bebop. I felt that the voices actually fit the characters very well (the main ones, anyway). I've only heard bad things about the original seiyuu, so I try to stay away from it.

As for other anime, just off the top of my head, I'd have to say pretty much anything that makes it to CartoonNetwork. Trigun and Bleach are the only two I can think of, at the moment that stood out as being alright, save for the afore-mentioned in all it's goodness.

In addition, the dub for Irresponsible Captain Tylor hurt me deeply. After hearing the first words uttered in the dub of the first OVA, I almost cried. It really did upset me at how butchered the voices turned out.

sasunarubishoujo
01-26-2007, 05:06 PM
emm 90% of anime aired in polish TV (HYPER is an exeption) is bad subed, What to expect they come from US and americans cannot sub well.

OMG Polish homie!!! XD
I totally agree with you Polish subbing is really bad , and dont get me even started with the dubbing. *shudders*

But in dubbing in general all really comes down to the voice actors. If they cant "voice act" that character well then you can say buh-bye to that anime's popularity there. I personally perfer subs a LOT more then the dubs anyway.

Fragile.Dreams
01-26-2007, 07:27 PM
Sailor Moon dub was really irritating. Their voices were just so annoying.

Also I watched Fruits Basket first with the English Subtitiles and decided to watch it again with the English Dubbing. I was really disappointed with the voices...the japanese voices suited the characters so much better.

Kagome
01-27-2007, 02:06 PM
I think really-if you watch an anime subbed first you are going to like it a hell of a lot better subbed and hate it dubbed. Same thing with watching it from dubbed to subbed...However, even saying that-I beleive 98% of anime out there that's dubbed is really, really horrible.

The original Japanese seiyuu are usually much better suited to the characters and can actually emote, unlike English VA's. Two English VA's I really think ought to get another job are Monica Stori and Richard Cox...I've heard them in a few dubbed positions and they are just plain "RIP MY HAIR OUT, MAKE MY EARS BLEED, KILL ME DEAD, Horribly, awfully bad." Never mind the dubbed animes they're in-though those are terribly dubbed as well.

Emma Jounes
01-31-2007, 04:38 PM
I'd have to say the US dub of Sailor Moon and the Norwegian dub of Digimon.
Come on, reeeally mature, adult voices for kids?:banghead:

Archangel Apollo
01-31-2007, 06:11 PM
Perhaps it's cause I'm nostalgic, but I actaully like the voices in the DiC dub of Sailor Moon. The writing is another story though.
However Colverway's dub of S and SuperS... it can burn in hell. I find myself wanting to claw my way through a wall to get away rather then take the time to switch the subs on and the audio to Japanese. They did manage to get a few of the DiC people back... but the rest.... omg. The lady they got for Serena played it the way the DiC actress did when Serena was flustered.... none of the voices quite fit anymore.... even the orginal DiC people cause the rest had changed.

Other dubs I hate....
Naruto
Pokemon..yeah I watched the first 2 seasons *hides in shame*
YuGiOh, good show..interesting choice of a few voices.

and though it's not anime... the 1956 release of the 1954 movie: Godzilla.
*mouth moves with no sound coming out, with extreme facial expressions*....run...*mouth is still moving with no words*

小美ドクロchan
02-01-2007, 08:10 AM
Heh....ANYTHING dubbed by 4kids. (except for Pokemon which can make me chuckle) I'm surprised anime fans haven't burned down their studio. Not only does their butchered excuses for anime suck but their attitude is COMPLETELY anal.

Full Moon Wo Sagashite. For picking the worst actors and voices for my favorite characters, Mitsuki and Takuto.....Viz, I HATE AND DESPISE YOU!! *sob sob* Score: 4/10

DiC's Sailor Moon. For butchering and the valley girl slang. *cringes* Decent acting though. Couple of cute jokes.... Score: 6/10

Cloverway's Sailormoon S and SuperS for picking the WORST VOICES EVER. My ears bleed just thinking about it. Score: 3/10

Dragon Ball Z when they picked it up again and changed the actors. The show will be bad no matter what but it surely doesn't deserve THAT....Score: 3/10

Card Captor Sakura. OMG. Nothing. Has. Been. THAT. BAD. EVER. O_O Score: 2/10

[BlackDeath]
02-01-2007, 08:34 AM
Every dub is bad for me! I really prefer subs!Agreed and you are quite right, everytime some US company gets their hands on an anime title they are never completely satisfied until they butcher it into little pork cubes of fat. They slaughter the dialogue to bits by altering and removing a lot of the context, given that there are some translation issues that have to accomodate that there is no reason to rewrite it that much. They also pick the most useless bunch of voice actors this planet has produced that rarely if not never fit the characters profile - what do they do go to a death/dumb/blind group and hire them for pocket change?

There are very very very rare occaisions where dubs have been any good, I say that but I can't even give one example of a good one, nor average one, nor not so bad nor any one that would be even as close to a positive comment.

Am waiting to see what the dubbed version of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya will turn out...

Then you haven't seen very many dubbed anime, because not every dubbed anime is "bad" (even though I prefer subbed myself).-LOL- this is one of those death/dumb/blind people I was refering to above.

Regex
02-01-2007, 09:13 AM
;1585145']There are very very very rare occaisions where dubs have been any good, I say that but I can't even give one example of a good one, nor average one, nor not so bad nor any one that would be even as close to a positive comment.Cowboy Bebop. Trigun. Samurai Champloo.

That's to name a few good ones off the top of my head. There are plenty.

Chochi
02-01-2007, 12:41 PM
The worste dub of a Manga is Fullmoon wo sagashite (searching for the fullmoon). There are some storyparts, which were changed totally.

Kit Katy
02-01-2007, 12:43 PM
Well i have to say some of the sailor moon characters, some of the slayers characters (even though that is my favorite anime), and Naruto.

小美ドクロchan
02-02-2007, 11:38 AM
Hmm I just watched an ep of dubbed Naruto yesterday (ep 16 when Sasuke sacrifices himself to protect Naruto which is my FAVORITE episode:laugh: ) and it wasn't THAT bad. Notice all they pronounce all the names and jutsu like PERFECTLY!? O_O I was impressed. The acting is okay too. (though it was not good enough because the Japanese version of this ep made me sob and my eyes didn't even moisten for this dub)

What interferes with the dub from being "good" is...Naruto's "BELIEVE IT BELIEVE IT" is so freakin annoying... somebody, please, SHUT HIM UP. XD;;

The worste dub of a Manga is Fullmoon wo sagashite (searching for the fullmoon). There are some storyparts, which were changed totally.

YES YES THIS IS WHY I BUY RAW SHOUJO MANGA ONLY.

Gold_Roger
02-25-2007, 07:40 PM
One Piece. No contest.

innocent princess
02-26-2007, 02:01 AM
most dubs are horrible
like: cardcaptor sakura
Naruto
Inuyasha
i prefer to watch anime in japenese [original]

Nicker-San
02-26-2007, 02:14 AM
Naruto
InuYasha
One Piece
Evangelion
Sailor Moon

Lil~Shawty~Gurl
02-26-2007, 02:27 AM
I hate dubbing with a passion...It's not the same watching japanese version and dubbed one. Many people say that these voices are annoying I don't know why cuz I haven't found it annoying at all. It's the way japanese peepz talk and that's what makes anime special.

EonKid
02-28-2007, 03:44 AM
The dubbing on the new F.O.T.N.S is really really bad.

Famahama
02-28-2007, 12:49 PM
Near the same here.In this country there are some malay dubbed anime . Its really annoying . The voice actors make their voices sounds like japanese people trying to speak our language .

animofo
02-28-2007, 04:12 PM
About 9 years ago I used to be involved with dubbing anime movies & tv series. There were some good ones and some horrible ones that we put out there.

One day we got the first episode of one series that was pretty bad, so we decided to completely rewrite it as a comedy. The voice talent that we used to revoice it were really good and you will probably recognize some of their voices from Sailor Moon. I have upploaded the first part of the first episode to youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVMxpcsHCOI

We did it with a budget of $0

Baka
03-06-2007, 02:26 PM
One Piece
Azumanga Daioh!