PDA

View Full Version : What is so rad about halo?

Overlord Darth Fluffles
09-02-2006, 03:54 PM
Question? What is so rad about halo? I mean the 1st one was fun for about the 1st 2 weeks. But why is it so big? I mean...

1. The story line in the series is exactly the same
2. The gameplay is like any other 1st person shooter
3. The guns are another bunch of human and alien mixed (like most)
4. They dont have any cool characters (Master Cheif is just a doom guy wanna be)
5. The driving makes u experiance actual drunk driving
6 What does it revolutionize?

Here is a quote i like "Halo revolutionized teh 1st person shooter.....If you had your head up ur butt(they said different word) for teh past 10 years.

So can someone answer my Question? Without saying its just fun..specific's would be nice.

Ichiro Matsuchani
09-02-2006, 04:15 PM
First off, you have to have friends for it to be fun.

If you're playing it by yourself, then yeah, it's boring. And all of your bullet points don't really put up and arguement.

What does it revolutionize? Well, nothing really. It's just fun to shoot things upon the masses.

Buruku
09-02-2006, 05:49 PM
Meh, well if it makes you feel any better, I've never thought there was anything special about the game either, though I'm not a FPS fan...at all. But being unoriginal doesnt stop a game from being fun.

KillerDragonX
09-02-2006, 08:41 PM
its a fun game for ppl who like online fps's, its an easy way to make friends and play different game varients, it also has cool features like active camo and awesome vehicles, yea the driving is going to be off if your going full speed, yea its kinda boring if u play by urself, but other then that i give it a 4 out of 5

XSelymSivadX
09-02-2006, 08:51 PM
i dont know wats so great about it. i think its just another videogame.

anime911
09-02-2006, 08:52 PM
only thing I lyke about halo is the good co-op style they have in the game its pretty fun if u playin it wit one of your ppl u kno. me and OG played it about 2 times and beat it 2 times the first halo I really didnt lyke it but the 2nd one was way better

Bibi of the Blue Sea
09-02-2006, 09:26 PM
The fun thing about playing Halo and Halo 2 is being able to shoot at things and playing with your friends. I enjoyed them both. Co-op play is a lot more enjoyable though. It's not worth it playing alone.

Manwards
09-02-2006, 10:22 PM
I love the Halo series, but I actually disagree with the majority of people about the reasons why. While the multiplayer is fun with a few friends (although Matchmaking on Xbox Live is evil), it's the single-player (or better yet, co-op) that appeals to me. It's a combination of things.

You've got your corridor crawls, but you've also got huge outdoor environments. My favourite moments in the games are when you're part of a huge battle, with tanks bombing the hell out of each other, troops battling away, turrets and flying vehicles everywhere, there's a real sense of scale and excitement there.

The actual environments are massive, often several miles long, and while they may not have much variety (ie. the inside of one Covenant ship is basically the same as any other, same with most Forerunner structures), they have a great feeling of scope and they're very realistic, in their own internal universe, of course.

Mixing different types of vehicles with the shooting adds variety to proceedings and adds another layer of strategy, particularly during the aforementioned big battle scenes. The enemy AI is really impressive, with each species acting differently and all of them having some weakness you can exploit.

The actual concept of the game, the storyline and the design of it, is also above and beyond what you see in a lot of games, particularly FPS. The artistic beauty of Halo itself, the ongoing war between humanity and the Covenant, the majesty of the Forerunners and the Flood, it's really good stuff. I've always enjoyed a good storyline in a game, to give me a reason to care about what's happening, to give the action a backdrop, and Halo does it better than most, particularly with all the additional depth given to it by the novels and the recently released graphic novel.

And let's not forget co-op, the best way to play Halo. I've always enjoyed co-operation in videogames, much more so than competition, and with all the different weapons, the size of the environments, and the different vehicles, there's so much scope for teamwork. It adds an entirely new layer to the game. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Halo in single-player, but it's truly a masterpiece with a good co-op partner.

I've never understood the general opinion that Halo is a terrible single-player game with an incredible online mode, because I always found the campaign riveting and the multiplayer boring... but that's just me. I can't wait for Halo 3, the E3 teaser practically made me cry.

Cat_Demon
09-02-2006, 11:17 PM
It's only fun with friends. Especially when you playfully hit eachother and make stupid comments or smack talk to them.

White Wolf Of Solomon
09-02-2006, 11:24 PM
I became bored with this game after a few months,Now I only take it out so I can pull off really cheap moves and watch my friends get really mad,Besides that I really dont know why its so great either

Sickn3ss.
09-03-2006, 02:41 AM
Its fun with a lot of people... but can get extremely boring.

Wolfwood
09-03-2006, 04:09 AM
i dont see anything good about it. like, my bro was bragging that in the first one they claimed that no grass texture was repeated and it was all different. who goes around looking at the grass in a gunfight? O_o
and sure its fun with freinds, but i've had a ton more fun on hl2 with freinds or counterstrike or mostly any other steam game.

the ai they bragged about alot, and it was pretty good. but not worth making this big a deal over it. and other games have taken over the ai department now anyways.

if i really want a good multiplayer shooter, i'd want something faster and where you can do more. halflife 2 and steam games are good for that. or if i want faster still and tanks, cars, etc i'll grab UT2004.

overall, halo is pretty average. dosnt have anything to make it stand out over other shooters. other then xbox mass advertising it ofcourse.

=[[Wolfwood]]=

Capernicus
09-03-2006, 04:19 AM
I've always enjoyed a good storyline in a game, to give me a reason to care about what's happening, to give the action a backdrop, and Halo does it better than most, particularly with all the additional depth given to it by the novels and the recently released graphic novel.
O_o Why would ANYONE do that? *dies*

Okay, I personally am the same way about Halo. I don't see what's so great about it. It is in no way, shape, or form better or even equal to the Metroid series. Period. And yes I am a Nintendo fan all the way. "But in Halo, you liek get to fight a jihad!" I guarantee you 90% of the people who play the game do not even know what that is, let alone what makes it so special. Honestly Master Cheif is just an over-armed millitary dog. Samus is super-powered bounty hunter (not to mention hawt X3). And I guarantee you that the scenery in Metroid is much more interesting and exotic than any Halo you are playing.

Blades of grass not being repeated? Who cares???

Wolfwood
09-03-2006, 04:59 AM
metroid is ofcourse better then halo. samus is sooooo hot ^^ and under master cheifs helmut i bet he's ugly, darth vader ugly O_o
ofcourse metroid could use a voice and some person to person interaction. but it's way more interesting to play.

the flood in halo just seem like zombies, and the convent or whatever they call the aliens seem like the ones from half life... only boring >_>

=[[Wolfwood]]=

Sammael
09-03-2006, 05:37 AM
It gets very repetitive after a while but why I still play it is the online mulyiplayer

Manwards
09-03-2006, 09:42 AM
I always look for the best in things, and enjoy a lot of different videogames. To me, something doesn't have to be "better" than anything else. I'm afraid I haven't played Metroid Prime, but I love FPS games of all types. Half-Life 2, Prey, Deus Ex, Doom 3, Quake IV, to name a few, they're all a lot of fun for different reasons. I find Halo to be a very enjoyable game, with a great story and atmosphere and elements that other FPS games don't have, and personally that's enough for me.

Ryth
09-03-2006, 09:46 AM
It's not nearly as good people claim it to be, even in multiplayer, which I admit is it's saving grace, but still doesn't live up to it's hype. Nothing is really all that great, there are a few innovative ideas, yes, such as the Needler, but really nothing truly makes it stand out from others. Half-Life is leaps and bounds better than Halo.

Wolfwood
09-03-2006, 09:56 AM
what halo need is something to make it stand out as something worth getting over other fps games.
i cant think of anything right now ^^;
but one shooter i played that was amazing was a steam one. when ya hack comps in it to unlock doors or whatever, you get into shooting wars with others in the comp, people can set up firewalls and turrents in there and its really more fun then a line going accross ya screen saying 'hacking' ^^;;;

anyway, something different that hasnt been done before is the way to go.

=[[Wolfwood]]=

bakakame
09-03-2006, 04:44 PM
Personally I don't get what's so great about being "different" to me it just takes some of the point of a FPS away. I've played Metroid, and I really don't think it's better that Halo. I've played Half Life, and it's pretty good, but it doesn't feel as good as Halo. I've played CS and UT and BF2, and I do think multiplayer in those games is better (well, CS and Battlefield's is anyway, UT is pretty much the same as Halo in multiplayer).

What really makes this game a hit for me is much like what Manwards said, the story and the feel of playing through the game. I love how it feels like I'm actually playing a story, not just a game. It's a much better experiance, and as well as the excelent controls is what really makes it the best forerunner of FPS on consoles (that and I had bad experiances with Golden Eye for the 64...)

Playing Halo has an epic feel to it that most games today just don't have, and that's what makes it an awsome game.

Jennifer-
09-04-2006, 01:26 AM
Well i dont love the game but multiplayer is fun and i dont see waht all the fuss is about the conttroler is way too big.