PDA

View Full Version : The Definition of Old People

ysh227
09-01-2006, 01:08 AM
The Definition of Old People

As our medical treatments get better nowadays, it is not so uncommon to see many elders who are 75 or above in our US.

In general, we define a person to be an elder if the age is older than 65, but do you think we should reset this standard?

I'd say in near future, people who are older than 95 will be considered elder, and that's when they can get all those elder carings.

Your take...make your comment please.

Sailor Lunar Eclipse
09-01-2006, 01:12 AM
http://animeforum.com/images/smilies/offtopic.gifWell I call my sister old and she's 26... as of this day.

Anyways, people are more willing to work and want to work at an older age. It's not such a big deal. 'Old' people are allowed to do whatever they want, in my opinion. If you're a certain age to retire, you don't have to, but it is recommended.

I think that it should be the individual's say, to or not do what they want. They control their own life, no matter how old they are.

ysh227
09-01-2006, 01:19 AM
I mean don't you feel recent elder people in US seem to be happier than the past?
They are also energetic too....

Sailor Lunar Eclipse
09-01-2006, 01:22 AM
I mean don't you feel recent elder people in US seem to be happier than the past?
They are also energetic too....I feel that there is so many new things, then there was 10 years ago, meaning that they may not be nesecarily happy, but they are living with it.

Energetic, well yes, a lot of medication does that, if I'm not correct, and a lot of...'old' people take medication for one thing or another. i really wouldn't know too much on this subject, when my grandmother(89) is very unhappy and living in a nursing home, wishing she was dead.

Not all 'old' people are happy.

Aleyna
09-01-2006, 01:27 AM
hmmm i consider old not an number but an attitude, a number of situations you have gone through so far in your life, the number of things you've gained and losed, the number of mistakes and successes, and a thinking ability

the more you know and the situations you have gone thorugh so far in your life the older you are :D

Sailor Lunar Eclipse
09-01-2006, 01:29 AM
hmmm i consider old not an number but an attitude, a number of situations you have gone through so far in your life, the number of things you've gained and losed, the number of mistakes and successes, and a thinking ability

the more you know and the situations you have gone thorugh so far in your life the older you are :D Wow...you are a wise one, i'm glad you're one of my best friends!

Anyways I would have to say that Bloody said a really interesting point.http://animeforum.com/images/smilies/yeahthat.gif Anyways nice job!
*hugs alannah*

akiko_kalla
09-01-2006, 01:30 AM
"Old" is a state of mind and I know many "old" people who in fact are much younger than their "young" conterparts. You're only as old as your soul feels, that's what I say. Yes some things come with age and experience, but as far as feeling and being old, I say that is a state of mind.

I also agree however that not all people who have lived 90 years are happy outliving their friends and watching their loved ones grow "old."

MistressPookyChan
09-01-2006, 10:41 AM
I feel old, and I'm in my 20s. Then again, it may be because my birthday is coming up.

Anywho, I think that it is important to review the retirement age. Many people are forced into retirement due to their age. However, at 65 they may still have a few more good years to go!

arielle
09-01-2006, 11:10 AM
I believe it is all a matter of opinion. Man, the day I turned 13 I was complaining over the fact that I was old. My friend Austin is 21 and I call him old. My mom believes she is old and she is only in her mid thirties. So it is all a matter of opinion.

Also, we need to take into consideration that some people wither away faster than others. So someone could be at a relatively young age and still feel old.

Eris
09-01-2006, 12:13 PM
It's subjective. If you have too many destructive habits, you may be physically older than a 60 year old in your 40's.

ysh227
09-01-2006, 06:38 PM
I think it might be old for poverty people if you are 40 or older
but for high-class people
maybe 90 or older.

Vendetta
09-01-2006, 06:45 PM
In my opinion it depends on the person if they are old. Say someone is 26 and has bad arthritis, and sits home all day playing cross-word puzzles, I would consider them old. Now, a 65 year old that is active and plays with his/her grandkids or something, and enjoys life isn't old in my opinion.

Faceless111
09-01-2006, 09:07 PM
George Carlin knows the good part about being old, look at my sig.

Opinionated
09-01-2006, 09:50 PM
I have a simple definition of old: People who are older than me. That clears everything up.

One thing that ticks me off is that you have seniors who are called 'young.' You are not young. You are SENIOR citizen. You left young behind at middle age.

And people who are fifty should not call themselves middle aged. How many people do you know who are 100 years old?

akiko_kalla
09-01-2006, 10:01 PM
Well, many people who are in their fifties still have children in school so that may be why they consider themselves middle aged. In other words, the life experiences rather than the number of years determine how old they are percieved to be.

Opinionated
09-01-2006, 10:03 PM
Life experiences aren't uniform. Age is. Therefor, I judge middle age by age. Hell, it's got age in it's name. How am I to judge it otherwise? It by name instructs me to think of age.

International 4-8818
09-20-2006, 05:58 PM
Someone who is able to get a discount of of their pancakes at IHOP.

Seņor Nobody
09-20-2006, 06:22 PM
I agree with Opinionated and say anyone older than me.

Little miss lovley
09-20-2006, 06:27 PM
defination of old people? Well someone who admits there old or someone who chooses to act old. I mean if you have a grandma who loves to skateboard and run marathons i wouldnt call her old.