PDA

View Full Version : Why Recent Americans Don't Like to Have Kids???

ysh227
08-31-2006, 11:56 PM
Why Recent Americans Don't Like to Have Kids???

my friend told me that for thsoe Americans who are younger than 35 nowadays, they hate to have kids despite getting married; thus, they prefer just to spend their rest of lives with their soul mates with NO KIDS.

Do you know why?

Even those rich adults, they do not like to give birth to newborns, they just wanna enjoy the fun and wrok rest of their lives...

Do you guys know any reason for this?

Aleyna
09-01-2006, 12:33 AM
hmmm it seems as if this is a sterotypical situation, don't be so gullable to your friends opinion dear

it depends on the certain person cause everyone is an individual and is different

as for me i don't really want to give birth to a kid, but for some reason i wouldn't mine adopting a couple kids when i am older as a foster care parent or something similiar to that when i retire :D

ysh227
09-01-2006, 12:50 AM
Well, so you wanna follow the step of Nicole Kidman?

SGI
09-01-2006, 01:00 AM
Well with the general cost of living rising faster than inflation it seems like maintaining an adequate lifestyle I’m not surprised that people are less inclined to have children. When a couple is struggling to maintain a mortgage and feeding themselves, the last thing they need is another mouth to feed.

Sailor Lunar Eclipse
09-01-2006, 01:09 AM
Ok here's my thoughts on the subject:

NOT everyone wants kids, and ALOT of people do. It's one of those things. some people like to go to work, more than stay home to watch a child. Some people just don't like to be around kids, do I have anything against them? Of coarse not, because I have friends who are married and in their twenties, and they are happy.

If you are happy the way things are, do you really want to try something different, usually not.

Next time try to see if it's more of a magority and not just a few people. Many people I know who are young and married really want kids.

I personally want to adopt mostly because there are so many children who have no family and just want to be loved. Is there such a problem with that?

ysh227
09-01-2006, 01:11 AM
adoping kids is awesome.

teed
09-12-2006, 05:37 PM
1) So annoying.
2) Why bother? Let's just enjoy our lives.
3) School and University expenses.
4) Children will be of no use for the parents when they grow up. What's the point?

Sagat
09-12-2006, 05:40 PM
Maybe these Americans finally realized kids are annoying little retards who do nothing but create a larger crater in your wallet than what killed the dinosaurs only to turn around and tell you off once they have the ability to speak. This is after they tell you that they hate you and that your 18 years of parenting and hard work amounted to nothing of course.

Screw kids

Sailor Lunar Eclipse
09-12-2006, 05:42 PM
Maybe these Americans finally realized kids are annoying little retards who do nothing but create a larger crater in your wallet than what killed the dinosaurs only to turn around and tell you off once they have the ability to speak. This is after they tell you that they hate you and that your 18 years of parenting and hard work amounted to nothing of course.

Screw kidsHahahahaha...
Wow...best post on this subject!
Reps for you! And I can see where your coming from... http://animeforum.com/images/smilies/laugh.gif

-Batman-
09-12-2006, 07:07 PM
You see... This is why people think i'm weird. Not only do I want children, I'm actually looking forward to it. I just like kids. And I don't know how people can HATE children when they themselves used to be children.

Daimastuny
09-12-2006, 07:19 PM
Why Recent Americans Don't Like to Have Kids???

my friend told me that for thsoe Americans who are younger than 35 nowadays, they hate to have kids despite getting married; thus, they prefer just to spend their rest of lives with their soul mates with NO KIDS.

Do you know why?

Even those rich adults, they do not like to give birth to newborns, they just wanna enjoy the fun and wrok rest of their lives...

Do you guys know any reason for this?

Tell your friend that, not all things that you see on the TV about americans is true.
I would like to have a few of my own and like ByO735 I would also like to adopt a few kids when I retire. A full house? nah, not that crazy ^.~
Oh yeah, my commander has EIGHT kids! and most people I know at least have 4-6 kiddos of their own.

much love, ~dai

International 4-8818
09-12-2006, 07:27 PM
Seriously. What is up with you and questions about americans? America has been your favorite topic to talk about. Yeah anyway it is teenagers I think you are looking at. Teens of cuorse do not like younger kids. I'm 20 and I think they are great. They are weird but fun to be with.

cherryblosmes
09-12-2006, 07:33 PM
You see... This is why people think i'm weird. Not only do I want children, I'm actually looking forward to it. I just like kids. And I don't know how people can HATE children when they themselves used to be children.
ur soooooooo right!! i totaly agree with u Red i dont think ur weird cuz i love kids too ^^ i want to have my own kids and adopt kids. lol ^^ they are innconet and cute and adorbale. how could some just say kids are annoying and they were just a kid like anyone else ur soooooooo right ^^

Plaidbutterfly
09-12-2006, 08:57 PM
Economically, Americans (and generally in the "western" world) the trend has been to have less children (not more) - this is because of the fact that children now are seen more as investments than as potential moneymakers. In other words you don't have more children because you need more people to help around the farm; you have fewer children because you want to make sure to get them into posh preschools and even posher colleges so that they can go out and compete with people for really good high-paying jobs (to support you in your old age!).

Add into this the fact that infant & child mortality rates have plummetted the last few centuries (or even decades), and the need to have nine children because only three of them might make it to adulthood becomes a lot less pressing. Nowadays you can have three children and it's very good odds they will grow into adulthood, barring freak accidents or diseases, compared to the odds of the say 1890s or even 1920s.

It's true some couples just don't have kids. However if you want examples of that I would say your best bet would be Europe, if you want to write alarmist articles, as many European countries (Italy I believe is an example) actually have a negative birth rate at the moment because of emmigration and an aging population.

Manhattan_Project_2000
09-12-2006, 09:05 PM
I dunno, I dislike children because they remind me of all the reasons I hate people in general.

They are petulant, whiney, unthinking, gullible, and a self-centered.

In fact, most people are simply large, physically mature children. At least children have an excuse for it, I guess.

...As for the reason we procreate less, there are three trains of thought. Either women are having children later in life to account for a longer lifespan; the cost of resources is such that having more then a couple kids is fiscally unsound, or die-back.

Rageling
09-12-2006, 11:42 PM
It costs money, can be painful, and is just plain scary. Not to mention old expectations that used to be set for people have thankfully faded out some with modern culture and people are starting to be allowed to make their own choices on children without so much outside influence.

Ayame_Sohma
09-13-2006, 04:56 AM
I am with you and so is my bf so i guess we are werid then:D

Ami~chan
09-13-2006, 07:02 AM
Kids are expensive. I love'em, but seriously; they kill your wallet.

Plus, some people just don't like kids. Women are also having kids later in life, since it's safer than it used to be.

There are tons of reasons people aren't having kids, or are holding off.

Thornwillow
09-13-2006, 08:17 AM
OK, well ... I fit into this category, being a 22 year old male who is at the age they consider 'marriage age' and 'having children' age in America. I think Plaidbutterfly said it all when they mentioned the fact that we don't need to have as many kids because there aren't that many people on farms anymore. And money has a huge issue to do with it.

Getting back to my point. A lot of people my age, the kids who were born in the mid-80s just don't want to have kids so young. I know this because I'm friends with just about everyone I know and many of them want to live their lives first and get a college degree. In all honesty, no one is going be financially prepared for children, but you can try. Some of my friends do have kids, but that wasn't from trying, they children they have were accidents, according to the situation they were in. So I do believe that people my age aren't having kids as much because of we'd really like to live our lives first! Enjoy what youth we have!

Because all in all, we're still kids. I don't feel you're really grown until you start into your 30s. And the thing about your friend ... unless they are American and live here, then they don't really have any credibility. And a general statement like that is untrue because there are always exceptions to the rules, and there are a lot of 'em. :)

Eris
09-13-2006, 03:41 PM
The world is overpopulated, this is a good thing. The fewer of us there is to share the resources of the world the better--to an extent anyways, we naturally need a certain numbe of people to ensure the existance of humanity, but it's a mere fraction of today's numbers.

Do I want kids? No. Physical reproduction is inefficient. I want genetically engineered offspring, ridden of all sorts of human weakness.

kingoftown
09-13-2006, 03:59 PM
I also think that people under 35 may not want children, because they know they have a good chance of having children after 35 when they are more ecomonically settled. The time pressure isn't there as much as it was 20 years ago. Plus people are living longer, so you aren't really rushed to having children in your 20's or early 30's. That's my opinion.

Princess Cupcake
09-13-2006, 04:08 PM
Yeah, I want children. I don't know about other Americans not wanting them but I do. I already have names. <3

Furubalova
09-13-2006, 04:26 PM
maybe they don't want the responsibility. maybe they just realize the burden...

or maybe they just wanna PARTY! :dancing:

lordraziel
09-13-2006, 04:30 PM
i would love to have kids but for me one of the reason not to have some is i dont want to turn out like my father or the other fathers out there that treat there kids like crap either they mistreat them or run out on them and tell them its there fault like mine

Boo
09-13-2006, 04:42 PM
Yeah, it is true that some people dont want kids. Even if they burn a hole in your wallet, thats a prt of being a parent. We all were/ are kids that do everything which we now hate. Just a simple part of life, if you dont want kids, then you wont pass on a generation. Not that big of a deal, you may change when you get older more towards the 30s to 35s.

GodOrDevil?
09-13-2006, 04:53 PM

I feel the same way. Don't get me wrong though, kids can really get on my nerves sometimes. But I'm looking foward to being a parent someday, I Think it would be awesome. Hell, I've already chose what their names will be.

Princess Cupcake
09-13-2006, 05:36 PM
I agree with Redfeild, it's too bad I can't give him another rep.
I think that Sagat is only pointing out what happens with some children. The negitives of some children. Not all of them do that. Besides, there are many joys of being a parent. I do though believe children can get bothersome but that is because they are children. They don't know any better. <3

Lucidian Dyne
09-13-2006, 05:52 PM
Maybe people are going by example. From my own personal experience, I have three sisters, ages 19, 24, and 27. They have seven kids between them. Seven! What's more, they all were at least 18 years old when they started popping out babies. More often than not, they'll rely on family members (most of the time, me) because they lack the revenue to put them in a state child care facility. They've got houses (save for my little sister) and they're paying for their ways of living, so they're owning up to the financial aspect of parenthood beautifully. It's just when they expect family members without kids -- such as myself and my little brother -- to watch over their own... that turns me off from having kids for myself.

Believe me when I say that I'm an excellent caregiver. But damn it all, I'm tired of having my free time shredded to nothing because of having to babysit kids who didn't spring from my own loins.

love
09-13-2006, 06:00 PM

Screw kids
If ever I did this to my mother at my age or any other age, she would beat me down, and then the rest of the famliy would join in. No child that has grown up in my mothers house has ever been stupid enough to actually cuss her out. If we as kids/adults had tried that, we wouldn't be alive today! You might want to look at those who are saying they don't want kids. They're proably a few people who don't want to have the responsiblity of another life or they may not have the time.

Tenten Hyuuga
09-13-2006, 06:06 PM
Erm...this is uh...a strange post...O_O. But anyways, your post is not all true...I mean, some is...but not all of it. My parents are American...and they wanted 8 kids!!! But they only had 4. Heh. You'r right, some people don't want kids...but alot more do! Wee...:cool:

(Sorry my post doesn't make sense...I have this strange...typing/explaining disorder...:p )

Havana
09-14-2006, 11:09 AM
It depend on majority, but in canada ppl are expected to have children for economical reasons, like soon many ppl are gonna retire or seniors are gonna pass away in the near future and because of this having children = having an education = going out to contribute to ecoconomy as in work.

razzen88
09-14-2006, 02:00 PM
i would rather have a limb cut off then have a kid....well not really
but here is my list
1 i am a girl! oh the pain!
2 in pregnancy you gain weight. i have the metabolism of a slug so no
3 screaming
4 worrying about screwing them up
5 i dont like them

Aeramis&Helenus4EVER!!!
09-14-2006, 02:04 PM
I dont think this is completely true...your friend probably doesnt have his statistics completely streight. i know I want to have looots of kids. i looove babiees!!!

Music Fiend
09-14-2006, 03:24 PM

Screw kidsHaha, very well put.

I was never much of a problem for my mom but my brother and sister were a pain in the butt for her to raise. I certainly would be in no rush to have kids if they all acted like those two did. Either I'm going to be quite well-off, financially, before I have kids or I'll just say screw it.

Well...I am more eager to have kids than I let on but, at the very least, I want to be able to raise them right and not be another stereotypical African American father (i.e., dumps his kids and wife/girlfriend when times get hard).

DemonToaster
09-15-2006, 04:53 PM
I think that it's okay if someone doesn't have children. I'll list why.
1. Having children can lead to major financial problems
2. Not having children helps the overpopulation problem
3. They can be very annoying
4. Adoption gives children homes
and 5. Not having a child until a later age will help people accomplish life goals