PDA

View Full Version : What's your opinion on TV?

Princess Cupcake
08-04-2006, 03:44 PM
I've searched the forum so I didn't find a thread like this.
I want to know what your thoughts on television are. I mean, I think too many people use it as a sorce of entertainment. Of course, it's good for somethings like news. But there are newspapers for that. And there are some shows that you just love to watch... but, it gets too much use. People have their jobs, and school and come home to relax and watch TV. And that's fine too but what happend to the books? And the outside time? And hanging with our friends. Some people are just too lazy. And seriously, is TV really that fun? That's what I think... it's a past time overused.

horo-horo
08-04-2006, 03:59 PM
I have only on thing to say :"Television is a weapon."

Saisashi~Arashi
08-04-2006, 03:59 PM
My opinion is kind of sidetracked. I both favor and dislike T.V. I never watch anything on T.V. except the things I really want to watch. Anything other than that is a waste of my time. I could care less about news, whether it be on the television, online, or in a paper. I just watched t.v. to watch movies, listen to music, get inspiration, and watch my favorite shows. As for excerising and hanging out, I really don't have any friends to hang out with. I have some, and I sometimes go to the YMCA to have fun with them. I get out occasionially, about once or twice a week. The rest I spend inside. I was never a fan of excerising or moving, for that matter. I'm a lazy bum, and proud of it. But I'm not really a fan of T.V. either. I just do what I want to do, with really no thought of how it affects me or anyone else. As for books, I read a whole lot. It's one of my favorite hobbies. But, like most people, I don't read much in the summer, because there are better things to do. I usually read in school. xD. Welp, that's my opinion. >_>

Sinnaku
08-04-2006, 04:04 PM
I like t.v. but I do not like all the stuff on it. Soap operas? No, just no they are stupid, crappy, make no sense, and feature a bunch of mindless teens with little to no idea how to act.

Sitcoms? Love 'em! Arrested Development is a legend. It broke out SOME people from the routine crappy shows that tell you when to laugh.
Thank you Arrested Development.

Thousand Eyes
08-04-2006, 05:54 PM
I don't watch TV. That's just my preference though. I just use the internet for all of my information and sources. I get my news from google and I get my entertainment from the Anime I download. TV just isn't interesting to me anymore. Other than play PS2 games off the TV screen, I don't even flip through channels.

zodiak
08-04-2006, 06:36 PM
Well i feel TV has alienated our youth. No wonder there is a child obesity problem. But anyway i think it's good. There's no problem with it unless if you waste your whole life in front of it

1,300!

Princess Cupcake
08-04-2006, 07:16 PM
Well i feel TV has alienated our youth. No wonder there is a child obesity problem. But anyway i think it's good. There's no problem with it unless if you waste your whole life in front of itYes, that is an issue. But is that really why? Kids sitting on their bums infront of the TV just eating? It sounds logical. And at my school in a few years it wont have soda or any sugar contained beverages due to the obese. I just think that if people want to sit on their bums and eat then let them be. Why is the world trying to stop that? And the TV problem with people being to lazy to do other things is a relation. TV isn't bad it's just on too many people's agendas too much.

zodiak
08-04-2006, 07:25 PM
Well also it has restricted children to. TV has used fear as a tactic inorder to keep people watching. Like back in the old days kids ran freely in the streets but today a playground is a ghost town. Like how the news will say that a rapist is out in the streets. Thus kids staying inside.

Princess Cupcake
08-04-2006, 07:37 PM
Well also it has restricted children to. TV has used fear as a tactic inorder to keep people watching. Like back in the old days kids ran freely in the streets but today a playground is a ghost town. Like how the news will say that a rapist is out in the streets. Thus kids staying inside.Ah! You're exactly right! They do do that! And sadly it is true. Children are keeping away from playgrounds and the outdoors all together. And parents have something to do with that too. They'll let them eat whatever they want and don't say anything. Like how parents always say not to eat that before dinner or it'll ruin your appetite. And they'll shower them with video games to keep them out of there hair or expect them to go sit and watch TV. Families these days don't have Family Night, and they don't do much as a family either. Not any that I know. And programs on the TV are ruining kids.

*.:Endless Sky:.*
08-04-2006, 08:55 PM
I don't watch that much TV anymore...but I find this similar to the computer as well. For reasons Rukia Kun has already mentioned.

der Scharfschüt
08-04-2006, 08:56 PM
I don't think TV is bad, now how much you watch TV, thats what matters

Princess Cupcake
08-04-2006, 09:09 PM
I don't think TV is bad, now how much you watch TV, thats what matters
Point: Good one; Yes but it also matters what programs you're watching.

I don't watch that much TV anymore...but I find this similar to the computer as well. For reasons Rukia Kun has already mentioned.
Point: Matched; Well said! And I'm getting that a lot. Ever since the internet became popular the attention has been directed more to it then TV. And being online is more dangerous then a TV. But the similarities between the two are definately rivaled. People might sit infront of the computer too much.

Sagat
08-04-2006, 09:30 PM
TV can either suck or be great...educate or mis-inform. Depends on the person watching it... as most things do.

Corvus
08-04-2006, 09:32 PM
I don't look at the television as, "bad" at all. I believe it can be very educational, and healthy if used properly.

I don't believe the television is to blame for childhood obesity. It is largely their parents' fault for not monitoring their childrens' weight and health, encouraging them to excercise daily, and setting limits to watching television.

Many people believe the television to be an evil thing, but there are many programs that are intended to help the people that watch them (many of them about dieting and keeping yourself healthy [Operating these stations also offers millions of jobs to people all around the world]). And as for censory, we have a ratings program (the V-Chip) that many parents trust and use for their children.

In conclusion, I see the television not only as a source of entertainment, but as an information central as well.

Manhattan_Project_2000
08-04-2006, 09:33 PM
I watch less then 4 hours a week. TV sucks.

Princess Cupcake
08-04-2006, 09:47 PM
I watch less then 4 hours a week. TV sucks.
Really? I'm forced to... when you're bored it's an option. I hate it. And re-runs suck.
This way I get to witness for myself what stupidity they're airing.

I don't look at the television as, "bad" at all. I believe it can be very educational, and healthy if used properly.

I don't believe the television is to blame for childhood obesity. It is largely their parents' fault for not monitoring their childrens' weight and health, encouraging them to excercise daily, and setting limits to watching television.

Many people believe the television to be an evil thing, but there are many programs that are intended to help the people that watch them (many of them about dieting and keeping yourself healthy [Operating these stations also offers millions of jobs to people all around the world]). And as for censory, we have a ratings program (the V-Chip) that many parents trust and use for their children.

In conclusion, I see the television not only as a source of entertainment, but as an information central as well.
Some of the things he said was what I did in other words. But I agree completely. You all have such great points.

TV can either suck or be great...educate or mis-inform. Depends on the person watching it... as most things do.
Yes... just plain and simple. You always manage to do that. O.o;

jewel2sparkle
08-05-2006, 12:02 AM
My opinion on tv? I like it.....

Manhattan_Project_2000
08-05-2006, 12:18 AM
Really? I'm forced to... when you're bored it's an option. I hate it. And re-runs suck.
Read a book.

Moon Helix Avatar
08-05-2006, 12:23 AM
It's a good thing if I'm board, it's not my highlight of the day though.

Ami~chan
08-05-2006, 12:24 AM
I hardly ever watch TV anymore. When I do, it's either G4 or the Discovery Channel. If Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends is on Cartoon Network, I'll watch that.

But anyways, TV can be great, and it can rot your brain. Mostly it rots your brain.

Princess Cupcake
08-05-2006, 12:55 AM
Read a book.I don't go shopping for books often. I can't ever get a ride and then there's the books I already own. What's so great about re-reading them. Nothing. I'd prefer the mall or movies... shopping related. No Libraries are close and they don't have the best books that ctach my intrest. The TV is just there... that makes my whole family lazy because they're too lazy to get up and go somewhere like a real family. They're too busy watching TV.

It's a good thing if I'm board, it's not my highlight of the day though.Same, but it's hard to find something good to watch. Especially with all the dull things, baby shows, stinky realty television, and commercials trying to get me to buy things. I hope I'm not the only one who hates that.

TV can be greatCan be.

Miss Moonlight
08-08-2006, 02:58 PM
TV is crap. Commercials are crap.

I only watch it when i'm really bored, which is, most of the time.

my tears of sorrow
08-08-2006, 05:10 PM
love TV! can't live without it!

Masali
08-08-2006, 05:52 PM
To me, I can sum up TV in one word: Boring.

If I had to use two Words: Boring, Repeatative.

Daimasukí
08-08-2006, 06:10 PM
TV? what is that? j/k
Hmm, well everybody has said what I was going to say, but just to add something. My mom always keeps yelling at my half brother that the TV is killing his eye sight. I don't know if that's true, but isn't that when you see it way to close up?
I don't really see it that much, it bores me and I'm kinda scared of becomeing a couch patato >>>.>>>

Regex
08-08-2006, 06:20 PM
Television has its use. In my case, the TV is pretty much always on when I'm at home. It's become a bit of a "background noise" to some extent.

I mean, sure there are some shows that I will stop what I'm doing to watch. These days that will be new episodes of Stargate. Aside from that, I like to have something interesting to watch, to help keep my mind stimulated while I'm also working on something else. That being computer work, or regular housework.

I do sometimes feel like there has been a decline in TV since my youth, but other times, I look back and realize that there really weren't a lot of good shows back then either. Sure, I miss my Animaniacs and The Tick. But GI Joe? Awful show. The animation was cheap and terrible. The stories were cliché and repetitive. It really was just as bad as the crap I see kids filling their minds with these days.

Books had their day. To me, I just don't have time to sit and focus on a book anymore. I used to be able to do that, take 2 hours out of the day and do nothing but read. Nowadays, I just don't feel I can take the time away from the other things I'm doing. So I get my intellectual stimulation from sci-fi shows that I can watch while coding.

[Boolean]
08-08-2006, 07:01 PM
Personally, I don't like TV unless a favorite show is on. The only time I watch television is when I have nothing better to do.

Princess Cupcake
08-08-2006, 08:58 PM
You should be, and you know what, I think it does. I was in fourth grade and had vision of 20/20. Not anymore. I went to the eye docter and he asked me why I've gone this long without glasses. I blame TV. What else?

To me, I can sum up TV in one word: Boring.
If I had to use two Words: Boring, Repeatative.
I luff yoo... no, I'm just kidding. But Masali is my new hero. I hate program re-runs. There's never anything good on and if it is... it's the weekend television.

International 4-8818
08-08-2006, 10:55 PM
Well i think tv is fine. In moderation there is no harm. I mean you can see important news in a flash and it entertains us. But then again there is the issue that i beleive has alienated our childrens youth.

chibi_battousai_tousuke
08-08-2006, 11:05 PM
I believe that the reason tv was so gret was becuase it was the first form of media that could incoperate everything int one, another eason why we love the internet even more. But aside from that, I find tv a great distraction, like while i'm working out it take my mind off of the fatigue and more into something that appeals to my sences.

Master Ninja Aldj
08-09-2006, 10:58 AM
I've searched the forum so I didn't find a thread like this.
I want to know what your thoughts on television are. I mean, I think too many people use it as a sorce of entertainment. Of course, it's good for somethings like news. But there are newspapers for that. And there are some shows that you just love to watch... but, it gets too much use. People have their jobs, and school and come home to relax and watch TV. And that's fine too but what happend to the books? And the outside time? And hanging with our friends. Some people are just too lazy. And seriously, is TV really that fun? That's what I think... it's a past time overused.
I agree..I only use my t.v to watch Naruto

Krsnik
08-09-2006, 11:01 AM
T.V. to me, is just background noise. The news serves a purpose, but much of T.V. is purely for entertainment, and bad entertainment at that. All it is these days is music videos and reality television, and trading spaces. Or something with Emeril Legasi, and "BAM!", depending on your station. It's repeptitive, and it gets quite old, very quickly.

Moon Helix Avatar
08-09-2006, 11:03 AM
There are only a few programs that I watch, now and then I may flip through the channels to see if anything catches my interest. If not it goes off, and on goes my PC and p2p program lol.

Katrina_Survivor2
08-09-2006, 11:07 AM
Well i feel TV has alienated our youth. No wonder there is a child obesity problem. But anyway i think it's good. There's no problem with it unless if you waste your whole life in front of it

1,300!I disagree. TV is not soley responsible for child obesity. It can sure as hell help, but television isn't chaining you to the couch and shoving chips and soda down your throught. SomeONE has to take responsibility, not someTHING. The obese person is at fault. Now, because it is a child, and they don't know any better, they can't be held accountable. So it is up to the parents to teach their kids to balence out TV time with excercise and socializing.

I think TV is a good thing. It is entertaining. What is wrong with that, as long as it doesn't dominate your life.

BloodSpill
08-09-2006, 12:07 PM
T.V is you'r friend.....just don't over use it...

tears of sorrow
08-09-2006, 04:41 PM
well TV gets me out of things in my head, it's really good, to make me forget things that i wish they would leave me, but sometimes is really bad cuz i forget to do things, but i like tv

Piper
08-09-2006, 04:44 PM
I don't find "TV" to be a horrible offense. It's solely for entertainment, and people do get bored. It's one way to pass the time. But for those of you to say that too much TV is a bad thing, I agree, HOWEVER, also remember too much of anything is bad for you. :) Lata'.

Princess Cupcake
08-09-2006, 07:34 PM
Too much of one thing is a bad thing! Great one Piper =D
And your right, Katrina survivor... it's mainly the persons fault for consuming so much to get them overweight, but if the TV was not there, there'd be a possibility that the child would be outside playing at the park with his/her friends. Getting exersize!

koikazeflip
10-27-2006, 12:32 AM
i feel television is great.. i enjoy watching sports, comedies, drama, and other stuff..

but now i feel television highly overrated.. i don't watch as much tv as i did before because i feel like there aren't as many good shows on tv anymore..