PDA

View Full Version : Reiako's Super Happy Fun Writing Challenges

Fabala
08-03-2006, 12:40 AM
Aies has blessed me with her permission to start this thing, so here I go before she changes her mind.

Lately I've heard stirrings of those displeased with the seemingly lack of interest in fiction...particularly original fiction. This got me thinking back on the college writing class I was in last year. Each week we were presented with a new writing challenge, something to hone our skills and improve on our creativity with.

Why not move this idea online, to this very forum? Why not indeed.

I propose that we do. About each week I will create a new challenge for anyone who wishes to participate. The details will all be posted in this thread, to allow for clarifying and questions of any kind. The submissions themselves will have separate threads. One thread will be dedicated to each of the challenges. This will allow for direct focus on the writing in those threads, and focus on all other information here.

I ask that anyone choosing to accept one of my writing challenges do their best to remain within the guidelines of that challenge. If a challenge sparks an idea in another direction, great, just create your own thread for it. After all, half the point of this is to get the writing juices flowing, and build an appreciation for the fiction world.

Remember, unless otherwise noted, these are NOT contests. We're not looking for the "best" writing, or the "best" writer. We're trying out new techniques to improve our writing (in any field or genre) and having fun doing it. So please do have fun.

That said...

Have fun! And ask any and all questions here, or to me directly via PMs.

CHALLENGE #1: Characterization Through Dialogue (http://www.animeforum.com/showthread.php?p=1394261) (8/3/06 - 8/17/06)

Fabala
08-03-2006, 12:43 AM
CHALLENGE #1: Characterization Through Dialogue (http://www.animeforum.com/showthread.php?p=1394261)

In this challenge you are allowed two characters, only two. I want you to write a piece of dialogue between these two characters, telling any kind of story you wish, and any length you wish. However, there are conditions.

There will be nothing BUT dialogue. Simply dialogue. No 'he said' or 'she said.' No names other than something spoken. There will be NO scenery, NO flowering, NO action, NO other description of any kind. Simply:

"Dialogue"
"Dialogue"
"Dialogue"

...and so on.

The point here is to see how much personality and distinction you can create in your characters through ONLY their words. What kind of mannerisms do they have? What gender? What age? What way of speaking? How does one character react or respond to the words of another? Be creative. Go people-watching (rather listening) if you must. You'll see that there is much to be learned about a person through his or her words. And remember, be creative. Having one character ask the other their age is not as creative as having the ages implied through other means. (How would a child speak as compared to an adult?)

Deadline: 8/17/06 For this first challenge, I will extend the typical one week into two weeks, therefore the Thursday after next. Feel free to take on any challenge at any time. Deadlines only give guidelines to when the next challenge will begin.

Remember: Post your submission for challenge #1 in this thread (http://www.animeforum.com/showthread.php?p=1394261) only. Do NOT post them here.

Buruku
08-03-2006, 01:22 PM
O.O

I like this. I suppose I'll take a wack at it. Very nice idea Rei.

Capernicus
08-03-2006, 04:03 PM
*shrugs* Maybe I'll enter, maybe not. I've got alot on my mind right now...

Black Ace
08-03-2006, 04:11 PM
Hey! I know how to right, I am definately going to try. ^_^ I hope i do well

Capo
08-03-2006, 04:15 PM
Hm...
I'll enter.
Why not, right?

Daenerys
08-03-2006, 05:33 PM
I think I failed. It was fun though, I liked making up random conversations.

Luzifer
08-03-2006, 09:05 PM
Entered... this should prove amusing

Ami~chan
08-03-2006, 09:10 PM
It was really fun; I have no clue if my entry turned out ok, but I enjoyed brainstorming on it.

It was a challenge, but enjoyable. I can't wait for the new challenges in the weeks to come.

Luzifer
08-04-2006, 01:20 AM
yeah writing mine was an interesting test... I probably should have spent more time on its though... it was more stream of consciousness then anything else...

Buruku
08-04-2006, 03:28 PM
I wanted to know if I could put things such as "later that day" or "at the park" because I find that setting changes are really rough if you try to just use dialog, people dont usually say "ok we're here now" BUT ya know if you want me to just deal with it and use my imagination its no big deal.

oh yeah, and I kind of dont know what words are aloud and which ones arent...I always forget. its mild ones that could be questionable....like damn, piss, hell, , those allowed?

Temari
08-04-2006, 04:16 PM
Ooou Sounds fun~ - Joins. -

Fabala
08-04-2006, 05:14 PM
I wanted to know if I could put things such as "later that day" or "at the park" because I find that setting changes are really rough if you try to just use dialog, people dont usually say "ok we're here now" BUT ya know if you want me to just deal with it and use my imagination its no big deal.

oh yeah, and I kind of dont know what words are aloud and which ones arent...I always forget. its mild ones that could be questionable....like damn, piss, hell, ***, those allowed?
If you must denote time, then do it. If you can get away without it, even better. I really want the focus to be on the words, and the characterization. But I understand that "later that day" doesn't really draw away from the story.

Not the last one. The others generally are, so long as they're used sparingly and not inappropriately. If you need further clarification, PM me or Aies.

Damon R.
08-05-2006, 04:25 AM
I entered. Did my best, and I had fun while doing it. ;]

Daimasukí
08-07-2006, 04:40 PM
Entered and like Damon, I had fun XDD, no really I did...>>.>>

Jake♥Tachy
08-07-2006, 06:24 PM
Hmm, this sounds interesting. I'll probably enter, but then again probably not...watch me beat dai XD

Daenerys
09-03-2006, 04:49 PM
Where's our second challenege?

Ollie
10-08-2006, 12:15 AM
Even though it's way late, could I possibly make something for the previous challenge? I COMPLETELY forgot to do it, but I love making dialogue, even though I can't make up any actual literature-writing to go with it. ^_^;

Fabala
10-08-2006, 06:06 AM
Feel free. I've totally slacked on getting more challenges up. Life has been so hectic lately...

Floating Lily
10-14-2006, 06:40 AM
Are these writing challenges still happening? I'm thinking of entering the next one.

*me kicks tumbleweed*

None of the above
10-16-2006, 10:35 AM
Yes.. I would also give it a shot...
Be sure to start a new one.