PDA

View Full Version : Which is best? Resident evil series or the silent hill series

Suki The Werecat
08-01-2006, 12:01 PM
Ok personally i like the silent hill series better but i wanted to know what you all though...silent hill or resident evil?

der Scharfschüt
08-01-2006, 12:02 PM
I've always been a Resident evil fan

Suki The Werecat
08-01-2006, 12:06 PM
resident evil does have better grafics...but i find it funny that the silent hill 4 game: the room... wasn't even in silent hill! wth is up with that >.<;

der Scharfschüt
08-01-2006, 12:09 PM
But then again I've only played silent hill once..
(sorry to stray off topic but was it just me or did both movies suck lol)

Kisa_Sohma
08-01-2006, 12:11 PM
I like Resident Evil better even though I've never seen Silent Hill yet. >.>'

Music Fiend
08-01-2006, 02:47 PM
Silent Hill has been a solid series, and it's much more consistant than the Resident Evil series. RE 4 and the Gamecube remakes were great, but the Outbreak games are terrible. Meanwhile, I have yet to play a Silent Hill game that I didn't think was respectably decent or better. That being said, I'm more for RE, just because of Resident Evil 4.

Ωmega
08-01-2006, 02:49 PM
Well, Ive dabbled in both series, and I have to say that I prefer Silent Hill. The monsters are just more creative, and (in my opinion) the scare-factor is better.
To me, R.E is just another zombie game.

der Scharfschüt
08-01-2006, 02:54 PM
Silent Hill has been a solid series, and it's much more consistant than the Resident Evil series. RE 4 and the Gamecube remakes were great, but the Outbreak games are terrible. Meanwhile, I have yet to play a Silent Hill game that I didn't think was respectably decent or better. That being said, I'm more for RE, just because of Resident Evil 4.I thought the outbreak games were good, not the plot but the fact that you could play them online with other people, and thats another reason why I prefer RE over silent hill(unless you can play silent hill online, if you can I feel really stupid right now)

Music Fiend
08-01-2006, 03:11 PM
I thought the outbreak games were good, not the plot but the fact that you could play them online with other people, and thats another reason why I prefer RE over silent hill(unless you can play silent hill online, if you can I feel really stupid right now)
Outbreak's controls felt like classic Resident Evil "tank" controls. Sure they had online, but you couldn't communicate with your friends at all. Not even with a frickin' keyboard! They feel like very clumsy games, but hey, that's just me.

Suki The Werecat
08-01-2006, 03:31 PM
Both of the movies for the games did suck...the only thing i liked in the silent hill movie Was Xulchibara! (pyramid head for those of you who don't know) he's so hot!

Masali
08-01-2006, 04:29 PM
RE was my first Survival horror game, probably because there really weren't that many others worth checking out. RE 4 was a great, solid game with awesome gameplay and a sharp story. I play RE for 3 things:

Killing Zombies
The story
Jill Valentine's booty

samuriagent
08-01-2006, 05:08 PM
SH has a better 'freak factor' but common, who doesnt love zombies?

Ami~chan
08-01-2006, 05:47 PM
Ermm... I really don't especially love either series. On most of the games, the camera angles were bad and the controls were clunky. Sure, they scared the hell out of me, but I never could fully enjoy either series.

But still; I love RE4. That game was so good, it totally redeems the bad RE games.

So, my vote goes to RE.

zodiak
08-01-2006, 07:54 PM
Eh, I liked silent hill more than resident evil. I just liked the feel of the character and the way the game was shown.

der Scharfschüt
08-01-2006, 09:07 PM
heres the main reason I like RE over SH. When I was very young my cousin showed me RE2 after I saw it I was scared all day and come nightfall I was so petrefied that I was shaking all night and didn't get a wink of sleep.

morbidunloved
08-02-2006, 12:48 AM
I like the Silent Hill series better. Although I do love zombies, I liked the varieties of 'monsters' (or whatever you want to call them) that you had to face.

SH anyday!

Linegod
08-02-2006, 03:14 AM
I like SH more than RE. It is no fun to see all of those zombies everytime, you know.

DemonToaster
08-02-2006, 03:38 AM
Hmmm. I like Resident Evil a bit more than I like Silent Hill. When I was younger, it scared me. Zombies, dogs, and hunters would just suddenly appear, or break a window. In Silent Hill 4: The Room, I knocked down these burping monsters (I forgot what they were called) in the, I think it's the subway world, on a set of stairs, and then they fell down each step, one at a time while burping the way down. It was kind of funny.

Nineteenth
08-02-2006, 01:09 PM
For the record, Xulchibara is not Great Thing.

These are Spoilers.

Xulchibara is the RED GOD OF REBIRTH. It has been stated over and over and over again. The only people who are not aware of this are people who simply ignored the little "stories" that are told in Silent Hill 3 and in Silent Hill 2.

If you want to see Xulchibara, get the Rebirth Ending of Silent Hill 2. Look at the dancing shadow with four arms.
If you want to see Lobiel Vith, reach the Other Church of Silent Hill. Look carefully, he does'nt glow and you'll walk right past his phyiscal embodyment.

Here's a little question for all those who believe that Xulchibara is Pyrmamid Head/Great Thing, why would the God of Rebirth, The RED God,The Elder God of The Circle of the Sun that was not released ,and left to wonder Silent Hill's Shadowzones, torment you, chase you with a big knife and execute a ghost over and over and over again?

---- Proof
Great Things are the spirits/ embodiments of the Executioners of Tulca Lake who drained and cleaned their bloodied tools of the trade in Blood Swamp (Which got it's name from that very activity...Lol.) Which was later filled in and paved over to build New Silent Hill. Their bodies and spirits live on in their ghastly trade of torment and executions and tend to manifest themselves towards the guilty and the damned. So they are not figments of James' selfloathing, they are merely acting off of it.

--- Possibles
Walter, Alyessa, Heather and Vaultiel, might possibly be vassels/ embodiments of Xulchibara. Simply because of their overwhelming dealings with Rebirth. Yeah.. When you're reborn in Silent Hill, Xulchibara had a hand in it.

--
Resident Evil has failed without a doubt. It puzzels me why people even dare call it a good game anymore. Think of it like this.

Original Resident Evil
Original Resident Evil Director's Cut
Original Resident Evil 2

If your Resident Evil game is not on that list, we're sorry. You purchased crap.
The SCARIEST thing about Resident Evil is not the zombies or the lack of gore. It's the PRICE TAG. Oh. The AGONY. The TWISTED AND MALFORMED LOOK ON MY FACE AS THE CASHIER RANG UP RESIDENT EVIL FOUR. IT WAS AS IF THE GREAT BEASTS OF THE DEPTHS WERE BREATHING THEIR FRIDGED FEAR DOWN MY BACK. THE SALES TAX, AS JOSEPH CONRAD ONCE SAID." THE HORROR.. THE HORRROR."
-Caps Lock. Cruise Control for Cool.

Anyway!
Resident Evil long since lost it's horror status, with the advent of Resident Evil 3 and Gun Surivivor; as noted above, the only thing scary about them were the price tags. Resident Evil 4 was the GREATEST dissapointment in the Franchise. So... They pretty much copied every aspect of Extermination while including shameless marketing towards their other games, how does that make game of the year? If you own Extermination, just get a magic marker, crossout the name and write "Resident Evil 4" on it.

Where's the survival aspect of resident evil? Either you are blind or you have a rapid fire controller to run out of ammo. They pretty much throw health at you!
Jeeze, the hardest part of any resident evil game is figuring out why you need the following :
two emblems,a key , a briefcase and some chemicals to get through a door that happens to have a glass window that you could simply break through.

(You cannot argue that EVERY bit of Glass on a door in EVERY resident evil game is unbreakable, even more so to a person with shotguns, rocketlaunchers, grenades, etc)

Or my personal favorite, a locked gate that a person as athletic as Jill or Leon (Who has a god damned grappling hook in his belt, which he only uses ONCE), could simply climb over.

Resident Evil tries to do too much while providing too little. = (

Natsumi Kazuyomi
08-03-2006, 11:10 AM
Hmm the whol reason i wanted to play silent hill was to see pyramid head...he's awsome ;_; go XULCHIBARA!!!

PseudoChris
08-03-2006, 06:40 PM
i have re 4 and it is one of my favorite games ive beat it 7 times and i have all the cool stuf but i didt like about thew old re games are the view it is hard you cant even tell if ur gonna hit what your aiming at i mean you just point and shoot basically but they were scarier because of that view it let things pop out at you better and stuff

Nineteenth
08-03-2006, 07:02 PM
Hmm the whol reason i wanted to play silent hill was to see pyramid head...he's awsome ;_; go XULCHIBARA!!!
Let me guess, you're one of those people who only played Silent Hill 2 after they saw the movie? You can insert a frowny face ... Here. ~>:(

thew old re games are the view it is hard you cant even tell if ur gonna hit what your aiming at i mean you just point and shoot basically but they were scarier because of that view it let things pop out at you better and stuff
Scary? They just exploited how lazy they were. For ten years, they've made and remade resident evil games without a camera button, the same can be said for ALOT of Capcom's Games.

Capcom is just another way of saying "Bad Camera Angles"

;Despair;
08-03-2006, 07:02 PM
I have to agree with you....

unknowntweety
08-04-2006, 10:40 AM
Resident Evil is so much better than Silent Hill. But i think Silent Hill is scarier.

~Pure Soul~
08-04-2006, 11:25 AM
I like resident evil the best of these two.

BloodSpill
08-07-2006, 11:03 AM
Silent hill is more a "bizzare question you'r sanity game" where resident evil is more about "kill it if it moves..." but i like both...

KillerDragonX
08-07-2006, 11:08 AM
resident evil is way better then silent hill

Keyasaffection
08-07-2006, 11:08 AM
silent hill all the way...

Kyuubi Naruto
08-07-2006, 09:59 PM
I never played either of them,but from what I here Resident Evil is much better.

Ryuku Merosiky
08-07-2006, 10:12 PM
Resident Evil all the way!!!!, I haven't seen silent hill but i think RE wil be better even if i saw Silent Hill.

Sagat
08-07-2006, 11:03 PM
People choose RE because they cannot understand nor grasp the many depths of Silent Hill. They care about blowing stuff up and shooting zombies and running really fast from the chainsaw lady!!11! instead of something mentally engaging and frightening.

Yeah .. some people actually do like that sort of thing. All the power to them. Most like I said just can't understand or take the time to grip SH. I get a kick out of the "RE all the way" posts. I once saw someone say "silent hill is boring not enough monsters to shoot" - encapsulates what I am saying perfectly.

Bridget, perfect response. Absolutely perfect. Everyone read what she has said because its the most intelligent post in this entire topic.

Mir Black
08-08-2006, 09:08 AM
Silent Hill is awesome *bum* played all four games and they are the best survival horror ever. *bums some more*

Sasuke550
08-08-2006, 10:34 AM
i would go with resident evil because it was funner...than silent hill...and silent hill was hard to control too.

Nineteenth
08-08-2006, 09:24 PM
Kay.

Once again as predicted..

i would go with resident evil because it was funner...than silent hill...and silent hill was hard to control too.Both games used the modifed Alone in the Dark control scheme.

Unless your fingers are malformed, there should not have been a problem. If they are, I apologize for being a jerk. ( Save this topic this will be the ONLY time you'll ever read that line.)

Since.. Silent Hill allowed you to strafe enemies long before(Silent Hill 2) Resident Evil even gave you the option of EVEN moving while shooting (Resident Evil Outbreak 2).
So, how would a game that gave you free movement to dodge , block and counterattack enemies be harder to control than a game that locks your character into a stace they cannot move in?

Resident Evil all the way!!!!, I haven't seen silent hill but i think RE wil be better even if i saw Silent Hill...

I never played either of them,but from what I here Resident Evil is much better.Friends , Countrymen. .LEND ME YOUR EARS!

Buddies, you cannot be helped. You should have not even posted simply because you're biased against Silent Hill. You've only reviewed one side of the story. Word of mouth is NOTHING compared to honestly playing a game.

Simply put, one cannot argue "WHAT IS BETTER" without first accepting both options. Sure, people do it, but it's not right.
Is this not a Compare and Contrast topic?!
Anyway... I'm done for now.

Xulchibara
08-11-2006, 05:54 AM
I would have to say, Silent Hill, All of them even four, Piss allover Resident evil. Resi is more "Okay, Lets get guns and fight stuff!" Where Silent Hill involves thinking, Makes you wonder, Is ACTUALLY scary at parts...It has atmosphere...History..And for all of you who thought Resi was scary...You really do need a slap...And I would liek to thank Bridget for her most detailed research and the such into Silent Hill. I'm most impressed.

But C'mon folks, Looking through this, People have said things like "I've never played Sh but Resident Evils is better" How would you know!? Silent Hill rocks all the way...Besides, The stuff with zombies is getting rather old and boring now, Where are bizzare head screwing horror that makes you pause the game...Sit in silence for about 5 minuets then manage to whisper to yourself "What in the name of The Red Gods is THAT!? What the hell just happened!?" And there is not many games out there that have ever made me do that...

Anyway...I've said enough.

http://www.animeforum.com/uploads/Xulchibaraimage.jpg

SIlent Hill Forever...Pyramid Head And Walter Sullivan! <3

BloodSpill
08-11-2006, 07:16 AM
Lord Xulchibara does have a point...and besides the fact that silent hill is so freaking creepy >.< it also has an awsome asortment of sweet charactors and monsters! where in resident evil...well what can i say other than THEY ARE ALL ZOMBIES!! >.< and where is the fun in that?

Daenerys
08-12-2006, 05:53 AM
I liked both of the games. Silent Hill I liked more than Resident Evil because of stories/movie/how scary it was.

Resident Evil I liked more because it explained what happened through out all of the games, and I really liked that. The T-Virus and all that. Silent Hill was always a constant mystery, and I didn't like that as much.

Xulchibara
08-13-2006, 08:45 PM
How could you not like it? I mean yeah it can bother you that there is not Absolute answer to everything, but does that not exite your mind, Make you sit back and think? Think of what could happen? I mean, All the SH games were like that...Four was a prime example with it's pointless endings... But thats getting off the point, What I mean is: Silent Hill is just one big head Fudge! so it is only true to the game that the ending shoudl leave you hanging...Thinking. Puzzled?

Where as Resi... It was always, Well to me. "And the Hero escaped, Living happily ever after. END!" But I think that you did make a fantastic point there Brody.

I Think I've said enough...Eheh.. ^^;;

http://www.animeforum.com/uploads/Xulgaspic.jpg

VandleBuster445
08-17-2006, 06:52 PM
No-Questions asked,Hands-down I think Resident evil is the choice for me.:ph34r: :ph34r:

Apostolos
08-18-2006, 04:50 PM
silent hill sucks.. Re 4 is the best one ive play.. i have re3,re1,re2, and so far Re4 is the best by far...