PDA

View Full Version : Do or Die

Lon
07-19-2006, 10:52 AM
Disaster Decisions:

In a news clip from Yahoo News the following story was found:

“NEW ORLEANS - High on the seventh floor of Memorial Medical Center, some of the city's sickest patients lay in wet, sweaty sheets, drifting in and out of consciousness. In the hours before the last of the hospital's patients were evacuated, one of Hurricane Katrina's most uncomfortable decisions had to be made: What would happen to those too sick to be moved?”

This raises a very interesting question… In an emergency situation were many lives are at stake, is it right or wrong to abandon those too sick to move or be moved?

Are these nurses and doctors guilty of murder? Is it right that they left behind people they knew would be killed?

What would you have done?

Eris
07-19-2006, 11:10 AM
What sense does it make to endager the strong in order to protect the weak, so that they may or may not survive?

Sasaki_Kojiro
07-19-2006, 11:33 AM
A good docter would Stay

Ami~chan
07-19-2006, 12:05 PM
Hmm... I would stay, even though I would be putting my life in danger. If I was in the patients position, I would not want someone to abandon me. I highly doubt anyone who was so helpless would want to be abandoned and left to die.

I don't think the doctors and nurses are guilty of murder. However, I would expect them to at least sincerely apologizing to the patients loved ones, since they left the ones they loved to die.

Princess Minako
07-19-2006, 12:30 PM
a "good" doctor would stay? as in they would die with the patience that they wouldn't be able to save anyway, not per fault of their own? Sorry but thats the most asinine thing I've heard. Its natural instinct to save yourself. What about those peoples family members? Where were they when they needed to be moved and saved? Why does it fall directly to the doctors and not the relatives, its OK for them to run and save themselves but not the doctors? oi..

The Goddess has Spoken

Dr.McDoom!
07-19-2006, 01:08 PM
*cough* I agree with Princess Minako. A doctor is not obligated or sworen to keep to it's patient(s) at all costs, although, i believe a hauntig conscience may occur. Besides that, the relatives should have contributed to the translocation of the affected ones.

Anime is poison
07-19-2006, 01:31 PM
I would save as many as I could, but then thats about it. Save the stronger patients that would be able to support themselves the best, and just go down the line I suppose. I know it sounds a little harsh, but its better to save a few and yourself, than to save none at all.

Kristen
07-19-2006, 01:39 PM
=\ It'd be a terrible thing to have to do, but realistically speaking, you'd leave them. If you tried to save them and ended up dying as well, that's helping nothing. Not even your skill as a doctor or nurse could then be used. It's how life works.

Ωmega
07-19-2006, 01:42 PM
a "good" doctor would stay? as in they would die with the patience that they wouldn't be able to save anyway, not per fault of their own? Sorry but thats the most asinine thing I've heard. Its natural instinct to save yourself. What about those peoples family members? Where were they when they needed to be moved and saved? Why does it fall directly to the doctors and not the relatives, its OK for them to run and save themselves but not the doctors? oi..

The Goddess has SpokenI have to agree with Minako. Theres no point to stay behind and die with everyone who would've probably died on their own. Good doctors are hard to come by. So a few may have died, but if the doctors would leave to save themselves, they can save many more over the years.