PDA

View Full Version : the year 2050

lex__luthor
07-18-2006, 06:49 PM
what weapons will they have in 2050 and what will they do because i think this world is going to see lots more wars during this time i think there will be a gun where a bullet will shoot and it will spilt up into deadly pieces at a certain point where u program it to like 20 feet or aim it at someting and that is where it will split

viewtyjoe
07-18-2006, 08:20 PM
Why would you want to reduce penetration right before you hit your target? And also, if we're still having major wars 44 years from now, I'd be more worried about nuclear winter happening in that time, since nuclear weapons only become easier to develop.

Eris
07-18-2006, 08:21 PM
what weapons will they have in 2050 and what will they do because i think this world is going to see lots more wars during this time i think there will be a gun where a bullet will shoot and it will spilt up into deadly pieces at a certain point where u program it to like 20 feet or aim it at someting and that is where it will split

Seems a bit far fetched, especially since "programmable" bullets will be suceptible to HERFs and other distruptive technologies.

Microwave cannons are already in the testing (I think), so that would be a rather... unpleasant development if they became commonplace.

Rail guns are also already in the testing (I think), but they aren't too useful for ground infantry, though could be useful on ships or surface-to-air cannons. A possibility would be rail gun howitzers, able to hurl humongous chunks of matter a very large distance.

Oh, and there's robotics, something like the Terror Drone (though targeting infantry rather than jumping into tanks) from Red Alert 2, or the smart landmines in Star Craft is certainly possible.

Riyokin
07-18-2006, 09:22 PM
Personally, I think by that time (2050) A giant war would have finish and the Earth would be almost a barren wasteland or look something like Beyond Thunderdome(mel gibson) Our main weapons would be primitive guns, axes, daggers and poison tipped arrows

Sagat
07-18-2006, 09:28 PM
Or you know, things will be more or less like they are now, with a bit of progress as a race and a lot more progress in technology.

But I guess that's downright crazy

Manhattan_Project_2000
07-18-2006, 09:35 PM
I'm kind of stoked about Carbon Nanotubes myself. They can be woven into an extremely light weight fabric that is stronger then spiders silk. It also has all sorts of fun electrical properties that are supposed to make chemical batteries and copper wires obsolete, assuming the price can be brought down.

viewtyjoe
07-18-2006, 10:27 PM
Let's use the nanotubes to build a space elevator. I will laugh so hard when it actually happens.

Manhattan_Project_2000
07-18-2006, 10:34 PM
Let's use the nanotubes to build a space elevator. I will laugh so hard when it actually happens.
They think it might be possible, but the gasses in the upper atmosphere are corrosive to it. So some sort of coating is needed.

Miss Moonlight
07-18-2006, 11:40 PM
in the 1950's, we thought that by the year 1999, we'd all live like the jetsons and have flying cars. Well nope, not that I know of.

I'm not sure where I will be in the year 2050. I would be 68 o_O

and i'm 24 now.

Sagat
07-19-2006, 07:34 AM
That sucks for you cause I'll still be 23 and I'll PM Riyokin here and laugh at him for being another doomsday nut.

Suki The Werecat
07-19-2006, 07:37 AM
Personally, i think by then we would have already destroyed ourselves with war before we could even acomplish anything...

Naruto-Girl
07-19-2006, 10:58 PM
i think that there will be guns with beames like laser beams

Eris
07-19-2006, 11:01 PM
i think that there will be guns with beames like laser beams

That won't work, if the laser is strong enough to actually hurt someone, the one who fires it will get severe eye damages by just looking at the point where it hits.

Bucky Katt
07-20-2006, 07:40 PM
Personally, I think by that time (2050) A giant war would have finish and the Earth would be almost a barren wasteland or look something like Beyond Thunderdome(mel gibson) Our main weapons would be primitive guns, axes, daggers and poison tipped arrows
What a wonderful way to think ... -_-;

I can't wait for 2050. It'll be like every other year, but more futuristic than 2049, 2048, (etc). ^_^

Sinnaku
07-20-2006, 09:35 PM
I find most people's imaginations here to be quite amusing. Seriously now, lasers? Ha, i don't think so.

A laser strong enough to cause any form of damage would require a very high amount of energy, and to use them as regular weapons... well that would never happen.

From what I know, and in reference to what moonlightkisu posted, we will hardly be any more advanced than we are now.
There is a chance the world will be trapped in an endless war however, thanks to the greed and avarice of the world's most powerful leaders. Armageddon will happen, although 2050 might not be the best estimate to when it will happen.

Anime is poison
07-20-2006, 10:02 PM
I've noticed something in society in general. As time passes, nothing really seems to improve except technology. People in general won't be nicer, teenage drama will be rediculously high, music will totally blow and will force us to listen to oldies stations that play Disturbed, and America will get too cocky with their war efforts and be totally taken over. Hopefully for my sake that doesn't happen, but who knows? Except Miss Cleo, she probably knows ^_-

lex__luthor
07-21-2006, 12:14 AM
u guys dont get it u say we wont be advanced but look what we have in vented in the kast 50 years i mean tv is not far from there and now look at tv oh and video games were in 1978 thats 28 years ago and now look at our video games they are almost getting to the piont where u cant tell the diffrence between a movie and game in 28 years just imagine what they can do in 50 more and im not saying that they wont in vent pointless dtuff but it will be amazing to see how far we come.

Sagat
07-21-2006, 10:45 AM
Personally, i think by then we would have already destroyed ourselves with war before we could even acomplish anything...People like yourself have been saying these things for hundreds of years now. I strongly doubt in the next 50 years we're going to annhiliate ourselves although all you little doomsayers would love to believe such a thing, for whatever screwed up reasons.

Opinionated
07-21-2006, 11:23 AM
Hell, I wager in ten years Metal Storm style guns will be in extensive use. Seriously, how useful would a gun be that could fire three shots before the gun recoils, can easily switch between different calibers, and can have a maximum fire rate of 1,000,000 rounds a minute?

Lasers, I wager, won't be used, instead replaced by other, more feasible directed energy weapons.

Something akin to a Spider Mine from Starcraft is not too far fetched. If a vehicle doesn't have the correct IFF signal, the mine jumps up and scoots over on wheels.

Basically, in the year 2050, we will have thought up new and even better ways to kill our enemies.

Eris
07-21-2006, 11:59 AM
Hell, I wager in ten years Metal Storm style guns will be in extensive use. Seriously, how useful would a gun be that could fire three shots before the gun recoils, can easily switch between different calibers, and can have a maximum fire rate of 1,000,000 rounds a minute?

Newton's third law. Every force has an equal and opposite counter-force.

If your bullets weigh 50 g, have a muzzle velocity of 400 m/s, and you fire them at a rate of 1,000,000 bullets per minute, the (inevitable) recoil will send a 90 kg person flying at a speed faster than 100 m/s (~224 mph) after just one second of fire.. (Rough approximation with air drag accounted for).

Regex
07-21-2006, 12:06 PM
We won't have a chance to get there, because August 12, 2037, our alien creators will return to retrieve us all as their slaves. They need all the help they can get on their farms for their big harvest.

ShadowtheWarWolf
07-21-2006, 12:16 PM
I think there going to have lasers in the furture that paralyze people when they are hit by it and that can destroy missles.

International 4-8818
08-18-2006, 01:10 AM
yeah probably not in 2050, well im just throughing it out there but i think we will be able to make black hole generators. Or a weapon were you can put a blackhole over a destinationand make it disappear. Yeah probably not possible.Yeah but america by far is going to make a nucleur weapon that can destroy continents.

Faceless111
08-18-2006, 01:22 AM
2050? Phfft. The Spainish Space Dogs of 2015 are going to take over way before that, and the human race will be nothing more than slaves and lap-dogs for the superior race of Spainish Space Dogs. Beware, the time of revelation is nigh

Krizalid
08-18-2006, 02:24 AM
Gundamiun Weapon is best .... :D

Eris
08-18-2006, 08:15 AM
There won't be a 2050.

Manhattan_Project_2000
08-18-2006, 08:53 AM
There won't be a 2050.
If you're going to go to all the trouble of creating a Von Neumann machine, why don't you create some Berserker probes and take over the universe a la Lexx, albeit much, much slower?

BlueyedFox
08-18-2006, 12:56 PM
You guys need to face it...the world's going to end before 2050....whether it's a meteor, global warming or a really big nuclear war...we have to face that, at this point, we have nothing to look forward to but ruin...:closedeye the only vile, disgusting things that are going to live are cockroaches....*barfs*

Eris
08-18-2006, 01:35 PM
You guys need to face it...the world's going to end before 2050....whether it's a meteor, global warming or a really big nuclear war...we have to face that, at this point, we have nothing to look forward to but ruin...:closedeye the only vile, disgusting things that are going to live are cockroaches....*barfs*

The last major meteor hit was 65 MILLION years ago. In other words, although big enough to nearly wipe all life off the planet, they're not overly frequent.

Global warming is expected to increase the world's temperature a couple of degrees in the upcoming hundred years. While it is serious, it is not a cataclysmic event.

Nuclear war? Possible, plausible, though not probable where we're headed at the moment.

If you're going to go to all the trouble of creating a Von Neumann machine, why don't you create some Berserker probes and take over the universe a la Lexx, albeit much, much slower?

Then where am I going to live? After the comic ends I zoom off in the chair to my lunar base, where I live happily ever after, while the Von Neumann machines are forever trapped in their own gravity well.

BlueyedFox
08-18-2006, 02:05 PM
actually we're due for a meteor every 50 million years....so technically were 15 million years overdue for one...and small islands are said to be getting global warming in 15 years....also...with the nuclear weapon conflict between, what was it, india and korea? (something like that) we could go into a nuclear war any day now.

viewtyjoe
08-18-2006, 02:31 PM
yeah probably not in 2050, well im just throughing it out there but i think we will be able to make black hole generators. Or a weapon were you can put a blackhole over a destinationand make it disappear. Yeah probably not possible.Yeah but america by far is going to make a nucleur weapon that can destroy continents.

Small problem with the whole "black holes are certainly useful weapons" thing. First, a black hole of any reasonable size would just suck the whole planet up, and we certainly don't want that, now do we? Second, black holes aren't that controllable, considering that they're tremendously massive for their volume, and since it pulls in anything that gets close enough to influence, the only real way to move a black hole would be another massive object, say a star or another black hole.

actually we're due for a meteor every 50 million years....so technically were 15 million years overdue for one...and small islands are said to be getting global warming in 15 years....also...with the nuclear weapon conflict between, what was it, india and korea? (something like that) we could go into a nuclear war any day now.

That's assuming that the total number of objects capable of penetrating Earth's atmosphere remains relatively constant, which I'm pretty sure it doesn't.

Nuclear war isn't too much of a problem for the world unless the US and Russia get involved, since no other nation is capable of sending the world into nuclear winter. Korea doesn't have the capability to attack us, yet, and chances are that Kim will die or get overthrown by the time they do develop that capacity. India and Pakistan is a problem, but I don't really care, since they'd attack each other, and not the US, so once again, the world remains mostly intact.

Global warming, at worst, is just going to cover coastal areas in a couple hundred feet of water, and mess with the climate throughout the world. Again, nothing that's going to spell the end of life on Earth. Sure, life will be unpleasant, but guess what, we survived an ice age, so I think we can deal with nasty weather.

Eris
08-18-2006, 02:47 PM

But that's just relatively small meteors. Big enough to wipe a continent at most relatively free of life, perhaps, but not the whole planet.

And small islands isn't the whole world.

And as vtj said: Those guys don't have enough nukes to do any significant damage, when compared to the theoretical full out nuclear war (with literally thousands of nukes being detonated), with nuclear winter and the whole package.

International 4-8818
08-18-2006, 05:39 PM
I don't undertand why peoplearebeing so grim that the world will end by 2050.

sokii
08-18-2006, 06:03 PM
I think the world in the future will obvoiusly be different today.but the day i die i hope i would be reborn in someother universe like the world of Magic (now am starting to be a freak)><